• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming's Greatest Bullshots

DangerStepp

I'm interested in knowing how long this trend has been around and what games have been the chief perpetrators.

Falsified screen grabs that span the ages; all platforms involved. I want the cream of the crop. Post 'em up!

This was too good not to update the OP with:

So anything that isn't a direct framebuffer grab or video capture is a bullshot, heh? I believe there are four types of bullshots:

1) The "higher-res and antialiased" in-game bullshot: Pretty much every screenshot from the PS2 era was done like this. The PS2 dev kit even has a tool to take such screenshots straight from the dev hardware. Back then direct framebuffer grabs would actually look worse than the actual game played on a CRT SDTV, so this was actually a necessity (the GC didn't have a screenshot tool, and everyone said GC games looked worse than PS2 games since most screenshots were done via capture-card). I believe these are tame and acceptable when dealing with low-resolution consoles and handhelds (480p and lower). For HD games, it shouldn't be necessary.

2) The photoshop-enhanced bullshot: Marketing will take a type #1 screenshot, and enhance it by messing with contrast, adding lens flares, blur effects, shadows and even adding models and other elements that aren't there.

3) The "we're not in Kansas anymore" bullshot: Marketing will take in-game models, bring them into 3DS MAX or another 3D modeling program and render them there with different lighting, shadows and AA levels that are impossible even on a PC.

4) The "target render" bullshot: Same as #3, but with CG-grade art assets that would be impossible on the game.

Regarding the thread title ("the greatest bullshots"), I don't think types #1 and #2 fit in here. Type #2 is still lying ("we couldn't get the colors right in-game, let's user photoshop"), but it's not outrageous enough. Types #3 and #4 are the worst offenders, because they take effort and deliberation to make.

madden-nfl-06-20050419030945934.jpg

madden-nfl-06-20050419031247257.jpg

madden-nfl-06-20050419115505647.jpg

215531210_QanAa-L-2.jpg

The ones that started the word.

Nothing will beat next-gen Madden's bullshots.

These days, bullshots are usually just an insane amount of AA that the consoles couldn't possibly do (see new Tomb Raider screens for more).

I remember there were some pretty bullshotty "screenshots" of N64 games like Hybrid Heaven, Robotech, and Mission Impossible making the rounds in magazines back in the day.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I came in expecting to see the screenshots of the first Amped with the awesome photoshopped lens flare. I am disappoint.

Peff

Star Ocean 4, particularly considering what the game ended up looking like.

1362_0017.jpg

Star-Ocean-The-Last-Hope-International_2009_09-24-09_01.jpg

946860_20090304_screen004.jpg

Also, pretty much anything by Team Ninja or SE.

DangerStepp

Duane Cunningham said:
Haha, one of the best things about this is looking at the PA strip's fine print and seeing that it was in 2005. Madden still doesn't look like that.
Yeah, those were pre-release shots in hype for the Xbox 360. I remember thumbing through the EGM and just thinking, "no way..."

That Assassin's Creed II bullshot is pure insanity.

revolverjgw said:
I remember there were some pretty bullshotty "screenshots" of N64 games like Hybrid Heaven, Robotech, and Mission Impossible making the rounds in magazines back in the day.
This is the stuff I'm extremely interested in. The screens that were tough to call before the Internet really hit huge and a community such as us could dog-pile on them.

Omiee

DangerStepp said:
Yeah, those were pre-release shots in hype for the Xbox 360. I remember thumbing through the EGM and just thinking, "no way..."

That Assassin's Creed II bullshot is pure insanity.

This is the stuff I'm extremely interested in. The screens that were tough to call before the Internet really hit huge and a community such as us could dog-pile on them.

why i get that amount of detail on pc with better AA

DangerStepp said:

Yeah, 30 seconds googling this stuff didn't turn up the actual shots, but I do have most of these magazines scanned, maybe I'll see if I can find some examples later.

Darklord

Banned
Dibbz said:
I love comparisons like the flashpoint post above where the shots are from two different locations. :|

How are they 2 different locations? They are both grassy areas on the same island with smoke billowing from both. Doesn't matter if you found the exact spot and took a screenshot, the game looked like dog shit next to any of the bullshots. Look at the grass, look at the textures or...any of it.

red-steel-20060509074909942.jpg

red-steel-20060509074909145.jpg

e3-red-steel-screens-20060501034058683.jpg

e3-red-steel-screens-20060501034051480.jpg

e3-red-steel-screens-20060501034057886.jpg

"Wow!" you may ask. "What game is this!?"

well take a gander at the url for a good ol' larf

note: even after this they kept releasing screenshots at way too high resolution with impossible image quality and lighting

note 2: i can't find any screenshots that aren't horrible capture cards at a huge size from gamespot, because nobody wanted to play this game again

Thread doesn't really work without comparison pics. A lot of these I haven't played or they look like the game.

MGS4 in that picture looks like the game I played. I would need a pic of it running in-game to actually be able to tell the difference.

Top Bottom