• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ganondorf's Last Name is Officially Dragmire Again

PooBone

What possible difference could it make? Why does Nintendo even bother? The story in BOTW was 100% throwaway.

Pyrrhus

It would be cool if we get
Gerudo's equivalent of the Yiga, except they aren't villainous
. They are all the male Gerudos who mostly married interracially. They accept everyone into their town.

If they weren't a Ganon-worshipping anti-Gerudo death cult they wouldn't really be the equivalent to the Yiga. They would just be another tribe of Gerudo. But the thing you've got to remember is that there aren't any male Gerudo. They don't have boys but once perhaps every century. It's so rare that it's generally seen as a part of prophecy. And they don't even seem to have the one per century anymore. (I think the implication is probably infanticide but good luck getting Nintendo to officially expand on that.)

All Gerudo that marry do so interracially because there are no male Gerudo. Gerudo women grow up in Gerudo Town and then kind of enter a nymph stage in their life where they leave the desert and travel the world to find a suitable mate before generally returning to Gerudo Town to have their children. Which are Gerudo and almost without exception female. It's like they have almost entirely dominant genes or something. They're a similar concept to the Asari in the Mass Effect series, just with less blue and more abs.

So the way they started screwing with Ganon's name in Link to the Past and Ocarina is the worst. I don't care what the lore reasons behind these names are he should only ever be called Ganon. Not Ganondorf. Not Ganon Dragmire. Not Ganondorf Dragmire. Not Calamity Ganon. Just Ganon. Ganon's a great name for a villain! It doesn't need anything else attached to it.

So the way they started screwing with Ganon's name in Link to the Past and Ocarina is the worst. I don't care what the lore reasons behind these names are he should only ever be called Ganon. Not Ganondorf. Not Ganon Dragmire. Not Ganondorf Dragmire. Not Calamity Ganon. Just Ganon. Ganon's a great name for a villain! It doesn't need anything else attached to it.

How dare they try as make ganon a more than 1 dimensional villain (though botw did a good job making him one again)!

How dare they try as make ganon a more than 1 dimensional villain (though botw did a good job making him one again)!

That's the thing: I don't see why he needs terrible names to become a multidimensional villain. I don't mind him having alter egos and (outside of messing with his name) I have very little issue with what they've done with the character over the years. They're just muddying a great name attaching unnecessary garbage to it. I mean what's Princess Zelda's full name? What would changing her name to something like Zelda Williams (wink) actually do?

Sorry if my reply sounds aggressive as that isn't my intention but the additions they've made to Ganon's name feel contrived and wholly unnecessary to me. I will concede that the name Dragmire isn't bad but the name Ganon doesn't need anything added to it. Now if Nintendo wants to call Ganon's Gerudo form just Dragmire I would be A-OK with that.

PtM

Banned
That's the thing: I don't see why he needs terrible names to become a multidimensional villain. I don't mind him having alter egos and (outside of messing with his name) I have very little issue with what they've done with the character over the years. They're just muddying a great name attaching unnecessary garbage to it. I mean what's Princess Zelda's full name? What would changing her name to something like Zelda Williams (wink) actually do?

Sorry if my reply sounds aggressive as that isn't my intention but the additions they've made to Ganon's name feel contrived and wholly unnecessary to me. I will concede that the name Dragmire isn't bad but the name Ganon doesn't need anything added to it. Now if Nintendo wants to call Ganon's Gerudo form just Dragmire I would be A-OK with that.
If it makes you sleep better, this isn't official anyway.

You can thank Koizumi for "Ganondorf".

Chessr

At least it isnt:

10d8f6cb54c7d109ee67c8ca9356cad282fb25e584ac1ce89edcb72578b054a3.jpg

Top Bottom