Gavin McInnes to Sue The Southern Poverty Law Center

Jul 7, 2018
From Infowars: https://www.infowars.com/gavin-mcinnes-to-sue-the-southern-poverty-law-center/

Talk show host Gavin McInnes has filed suit against the hyperpartisan Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) this week. The 61-page complaint was electronically filed early Monday morning in the Middle District of Alabama outlining defamation and other tortious acts resulting in reputational and economic damages.

The Canadian-immigrant talk show host is demanding an apology from the left-wing SPLC for purposefully misrepresenting his beliefs in a defamatory manner and the defamatory mischaracterization of a fraternal club he founded, Proud Boys.

McInnes is being represented by noted First Amendment attorney Ron D. Coleman of Mandelbaum Salsburg P.C. and Baron Coleman of the Baron Coleman Law Firm.

Well, it is not much, but it is a start, let's hope more people pile up and sue this evil organization to irrelevance and I hope this is the first act that starts a strong precedent against them.

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
These sort of lawsuits against media outlets and advocacy groups who misrepresent activists -- intentionally or not, because sometimes they're just regurgitating something heard on the media or from the FBI -- are much needed. I hope this big fake artifice of "curated news" comes tumbling down. I don't care for McInnes' style because he is abrasive and very "us vs them". However, he has every right to call them out when they misrepresent his organization as white supremacist terrorists.

Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I love how the SPLC is an "evil" organization for some people here, but a man who fosters a group defined by its xenophobia and unprovoked violence is some poor, hard-done by victim of defamation.

Look, I know the conservatives here practically masturbate to the thought of civil rights groups being punished for merely existing, but it's not as easy as InfoWars (why is anyone trusting a lie factory like that?) would have you believe. McInnes will have to show that the SPLC knew it was exaggerating McInnes' beliefs, and that's not an open-and-shut case.

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
I love how the SPLC is an "evil" organization for some people here, but a man who fosters a group defined by its xenophobia and unprovoked violence is some poor, hard-done by victim of defamation.
How do you arrive at that xenophobia/unprovoked violence? Not saying you’re wrong just haven’t seen anything supporting that other than video of them in scuffles with radical left/Antifa types. I’m not asking for links just what made you think that?

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

Look, I know the conservatives here practically masturbate to the thought of civil rights groups being punished for merely existing, but it's not as easy as InfoWars (why is anyone trusting a lie factory like that?) would have you believe. McInnes will have to show that the SPLC knew it was exaggerating McInnes' beliefs, and that's not an open-and-shut case.
This is such a mischaracterization, I don't know where to start.

"A man who fosters a group defined by its xenophobia" is exactly the smear he is suing for, so this sounds like victim blaming to me.

"I know the conservatives here practically masturbate to the thought of civil rights groups being punished" is another gross mischaracterization that reveals more about your stunted mental capacity than any of the conservatives here. Prejudging entire groups and "knowing" their thoughts seems to be a common delusion for people with your ideology.

Jul 7, 2018

I am sure this was redirected at me, so let me just say that an organization that:

1. Supports the defamation of anyone right of Chairman Mao.

2. Became so brazen in their defamation antics the past years (Trump Derangement Syndrome, is my guess) that had to settle with a case out of court https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/...olve-defamation-case/?slreturn=20190105142951

3.Became a political tool of the left and more precisely, joined the bandwagon of the Kavvanaugh's more than fake accusations.

Yes, is evil. And I hope this case opens the floodgates for punishment of them and other evil organizations like them.

Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
How do you arrive at that xenophobia/unprovoked violence? Not saying you’re wrong just haven’t seen anything supporting that other than video of them in scuffles with radical left/Antifa types. I’m not asking for links just what made you think that?
Well, let's see... he sees white men and "Western" (read: white) culture as "under siege" from immigrants. He said "I want violence, I want punching in the face. I'm disappointed in Trump supporters for not punching enough." He and the group regularly celebrate historical murders of left-wing figures. The group shows up at events expecting to fight; there's video evidence that it started the fight outside the Metropolitan Republican Club last fall, beating up protesters outside a McInnes talk.

In other words, I arrived at that conclusion based on what McInnes and his followers have said and done.

Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I am sure this was redirected at me, so let me just say that an organization that:

1. Supports the defamation of anyone right of Chairman Mao.

2. Became so brazen in their defamation antics the past years (Trump Derangement Syndrome, is my guess) that had to settle with a case out of court https://www.law.com/americanlawyer/...olve-defamation-case/?slreturn=20190105142951

3.Became a political tool of the left and more precisely, joined the bandwagon of the Kavvanaugh's more than fake accusations.

Yes, is evil. And I hope this case opens the floodgates for punishment of them and other evil organizations like them.
Number 1 doesn't have evidence, so that can be automatically dismissed.

I'm well aware of that defamation case. That doesn't mean there's a systemic pattern.

Insisting that the claims against Kavanaugh are fake is, well, laughable. I'm not even saying they're definitively true, but there are holes so large in his defense that you could drive a truck through them.

Also, someone who cites InfoWars as a source of information loses all credibility. You're really going to cite the place that regularly peddles known fake conspiracy theories?

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
Well, let's see... he sees white men and "Western" (read: white) culture as "under siege" from immigrants. He said "I want violence, I want punching in the face. I'm disappointed in Trump supporters for not punching enough." He and the group regularly celebrate historical murders of left-wing figures. The group shows up at events expecting to fight; there's video evidence that it started the fight outside the Metropolitan Republican Club last fall, beating up protesters outside a McInnes talk.

In other words, I arrived at that conclusion based on what McInnes and his followers have said and done.
You do realize in the link you provided it states that Antifa protestors initiated the violence? Also I find it fascinating that we don’t question anyone valueing and wanting to preserve their culture, unless they are white.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018
Number 1 doesn't have evidence, so that can be automatically dismissed.
Thanks a lot, I can dismiss the rest of your post, then.

I'm well aware of that defamation case. That doesn't mean there's a systemic pattern.
The fact that they were not even brave enough to take it to the court should tell you something of how aware they are about shitting the bed.

Insisting that the claims against Kavanaugh are fake is, well, laughable. I'm not even saying they're definitively true, but there are holes so large in his defense that you could drive a truck through them.
No evidence for this claim, dismissed.

Also, someone who cites InfoWars as a source of information loses all credibility. You're really going to cite the place that regularly peddles known fake conspiracy theories?
At this point in time, CNN would pay REAL money to have IW's credibility.

Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
This is such a mischaracterization, I don't know where to start.

"A man who fosters a group defined by its xenophobia" is exactly the smear he is suing for, so this sounds like victim blaming to me.

"I know the conservatives here practically masturbate to the thought of civil rights groups being punished" is another gross mischaracterization that reveals more about your stunted mental capacity than any of the conservatives here. Prejudging entire groups and "knowing" their thoughts seems to be a common delusion for people with your ideology.
Er, that's not a smear, that's what the group has publicly stated. It's explicitly anti-immigrant. It believes there's an attack on white men and "Western values." That's the literal definition of xenophobia.

And am I wrong? We have multiple people here who think the entire SPLC is "evil." A group that has spent decades countering racist groups and their violence is evil... why? Because it has occasionally gotten things wrong while pushing for justice against racists, and because it allegedly mischaracterized a group that's a haven for white supremacists as being white supremacist in itself.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

No, you don’t just get to insert “(read: white)” in there like that. That’s not what Western culture means. Race and culture are not the same thing. Anyone of any colour can adhere to Western cultural values. What a fucking stupid and dishonest thing to say.

Also, are you unaware of the Maajid Nawaz lawsuit against the SPLC that he won? They’ve got priors, dude. Fucking hell, just handwaving away any criticism of “civil rights” advocacy groups as conservatives masturbating to the thought of them being punished for existing... pull your head out of your ass.

Aug 12, 2011
Er, that's not a smear, that's what the group has publicly stated. It's explicitly anti-immigrant. It believes there's an attack on white men and "Western values." That's the literal definition of xenophobia.

And am I wrong? We have multiple people here who think the entire SPLC is "evil." A group that has spent decades countering racist groups and their violence is evil... why? Because it has occasionally gotten things wrong while pushing for justice against racists, and because it allegedly mischaracterized a group that's a haven for white supremacists as being white supremacist in itself.
From the article posted earlier

From the article

"A video by filmed by photojournalist Sandi Bachom shows Proud Boys beating people on the street while shouting homophobic slurs at several men as they kicked and punched people who laid on the ground."

People keep smearing this group with facts based on their actions. Why would they do that?

Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
No, you don’t just get to insert “(read: white)” in there like that. That’s not what Western culture means. Race and culture are not the same thing. Anyone of any colour can adhere to Western cultural values. What a fucking stupid and dishonest thing to say.

Also, are you unaware of the Maajid Nawaz lawsuit against the SPLC that he won? They’ve got priors, dude. Fucking hell, just handwaving away any criticism of “civil rights” advocacy groups as conservatives masturbating to the thought of them being punished for existing... pull your head out of your ass.
When they also believe white men are under threat, then yes, I can. What do you think they're referring to, rap and Malcolm X? No, there's a very evident subtext that for them Western means white.

I'm aware of the Nawaz lawsuit. I'm not excusing that. But labeling the entire group as "evil" is just as dismissive as claiming they've never done anything wrong. The SPLC has done more to fight racism in a day than you'll manage in your life.

Aug 12, 2011
This entire argument hinges on the accepted definition of Western culture or more accurately what Gavin thinks Western culture is.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
When they also believe white men are under threat, then yes, I can. What do you think they're referring to, rap and Malcolm X? No, there's a very evident subtext that for them Western means white.

I'm aware of the Nawaz lawsuit. I'm not excusing that. But labeling the entire group as "evil" is just as dismissive as claiming they've never done anything wrong. The SPLC has done more to fight racism in a day than you'll manage in your life.
Nope, that’s your stunted take, and given your other postings here I’m not inclined to believe that you’ve informed yourself with anything more than a cursory skim of your twitter feed. Get lost.

old

May 11, 2013
The SPLC has been sometimes very loose with their hate-group labeling and with no oversight. I welcome oversight and accountability here. That label has consequences therefore placing that label should have consequences.

I still think he’ll lose though. The Proud Boys were racist.

Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
Are you aware that he’s married to a Native American woman? I highly doubt he’s trying to implement the Fourth Reich as the other idiot above is intimating.
Yeah that’s what susprised me about the Cumia/Rogan conversation. It sounds like he’s not really racist and never intended for the Proud Boys to become what they are now, or at least perceived to be.

That’s the impression I got anyway.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
The SPLC has been sometimes very loose with their hate-group labeling and with no oversight. I welcome oversight and accountability here. That label has consequences therefore placing that label should have consequences.

I still think he’ll lose though. The Proud Boys were racist.
I listened to the Anthony Cumia interview on JRE. Anthony is close with Gavin and was there when the Proud Boys were formed as a meme/parody men’s club. It got hijacked by legitimate far right guys who only wanted to fight Antifa. Gavin left and distanced himself from the group a while ago, but the SPLC has been using events that happened later and/or without his approval to smear him. Then you’ve got idiots like Aurelian posting out of context satire as though he’s seriously calling for a white master race. He’s a comedian; he’s mocking these ideas.

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
No, that's not the literal definition of xenophobia. Stop twisting words around. Those two standpoints are separate and not every person who believes one also believes the other. This is plainly true. Can you prove otherwise?

Which people? And why does that justify you slandering whole groups of people in the process? Asking me "Am I wrong?" is the incorrect response. The onus is on you to demonstrate that your slander and mischaracterizations have any basis in reality.

Aug 12, 2011
Are you aware that he’s married to a Native American woman? I highly doubt he’s trying to implement the Fourth Reich as the other idiot above is intimating.
Married to a Native American woman doesn't mean he's not racist or doesn't have prejudice. I know alot of guys in the Air Force that married Korean women, but still say some pretty racist shit.

Aug 12, 2011
I would suggest your bar for racism is too low.
With zero evidence? Impressive.

I mean you understand that he could be married to a Native American and still be racist against Mexicans or Middle Easterners?

Also I'm not saying he is. I don't think he wants genetic purity, but you also can't guarantee he doesn't have predudice against immigrants without knowing his definition of Western culture.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2011
Give us some examples?
Yeah saying shit like "I want to move to Russia, necause there are no black people" "I don't like working with black people because they are lazy" Getting mad at Mexican co-workers for speaking in Spainish.

Uh, the evidence is what you just said.
Explain how I as a veteran who worked in Aircraft maintenance, which was pretty much open season when it came to off color jokes, most of which were hilarious and got laughs from everyone, have a low bar for racism. Note I am white, from Iowa and had a career in the military. I am not a bleeding heart liberal college kid from the west coast, so let's get that out of the way.

So again how has what I said any way reflected that I have a low bar for racism? While you are at it tell me where the bar for racims is? Is it jokes? Is it hoods and burning crosses? Where is it?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017
Yeah saying shit like "I want to move to Russia, necause there are no black people" "I don't like working with black people because they are lazy" Getting mad at Mexican co-workers for speaking in Spainish.

Explain how I as a veteran who worked in Aircraft maintenance, which was pretty much open season when it came to off color jokes, most of which were hilarious and got laughs from everyone, have a low bar for racism. Note I am white, from Iowa and had a career in the military. I am not a bleeding heart liberal college kid from the west coast, so let's get that out of the way.

So again how has what I said any way reflected that I have a low bar for racism? While you are at it tell me where the bar for racims is? Is it jokes? Is it hoods and burning crosses? Where is it?
Is there a chance these things, I dare say, humor.
And getting pissed because a Co worker speaks a language people won't understand is pretty fair.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

The bar should be actions, not words, because if you focus on words, people inevitably start going after humour and satire like they're doing here. The "just because he married X doesn't mean he's not racist against X" argument is so stupid and I'm honestly tired of pointing out how fallacious it is. Like, what action shows that you're not prejudiced against a particular group of people more than marrying and propagating your genes with one of them?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2016
It was interesting hearing Cumia talk to Joe Rogan about the true origin of the “Proud Boys.”

Sounds like it started as something completely different from where it evolved into/was spun into.

It's worth noting, though that Cumua is an avowed white supremacist who believes in the genetic and moral superiority of the white race, so his crocodile tears about how unfair it is when he or his friends get labeled "racist" ring a bit hollow.

Aug 12, 2011
Is there a chance these things, I dare say, humor.
And getting pissed because a Co worker speaks a language people won't understand is pretty fair.
Pretty sure I covered humor in my post, these comments weren't humor. Also being annoyed about two people speaking a language you don't understand is natural even if it's a dumb reaction. Getting mad and yelling at people and threating them to stop speaking their language or else is not. This happened to my troops. You will just have to trust me. If you don't believe me I can't make you and I guess we can drop this line of questioning since you will just choose to believe what you've already decided.

The bar should be actions, not words, because if you focus on words, people inevitably start going after humour and satire like they're doing here. The "just because he married X doesn't mean he's not racist against X" argument is so stupid and I'm honestly tired of pointing out how fallacious it is. Like, what action shows that you're not prejudiced against a particular group of people more than marrying and propagating your genes with one of them?
The words I don't like black people and espousing the belief that black people in general are lazy is racism. This person could move on to ruin careers of black people or effect hiring of black people when they get out. I'm not talking about jokes, in fact, again I mentioned jokes, do you even read?

Also this all stemmed from someone saying White Culture = Western Culture. Some else saying White Culture =/= Western Culture and me saying that would depend on your idea or more precisely Gavin's idea of what Western Culture is. Then you made the false assumption that he can't be racist, because his wife is Native American as if that means he can't possibly be racist against other races because of this fact. You are still insisting this to be true, which is beyond bafling. Do you belive being racist means you have to hate everyone not white?