• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze upon with thine eyen that webcomic which doth please us. Yea, verily.

Soule

Member
Mar 11, 2007
3,768
0
995
Australia
I don't get it :\

Maybe I missed something, the rest are pretty funny, especially the R4 but the last one has me a bit confused.
 

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mar 2, 2008
50,652
0
0
twitter.com
Soule said:
I don't get it :\

Maybe I missed something, the rest are pretty funny, especially the R4 but the last one has me a bit confused.
WWI reference.

It's okay. There's not a lot of WWI shooters in the market so it's probable you've never heard of it.
 
Aug 6, 2006
13,049
4
1,270
www.blackfalcongames.net
Regulus Tera said:
WWI reference.

It's okay. There's not a lot of WWI shooters in the market so it's probable you've never heard of it.
That's obvious, but how does it relate to gaming? That's the part that is confusing... Xbox vs. 360? Huh? Is it about how Microsoft has stopped updating the 360's BC list, or something? Or is it just a historical reference using Vidcons...
 

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Apr 17, 2007
29,347
0
0
Soule said:
I don't get it :\

Maybe I missed something, the rest are pretty funny, especially the R4 but the last one has me a bit confused.
The catalyst of World War I was the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. "The Duke" was a common nickname for the original XBOX controller.
 

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
May 30, 2004
38,700
0
0
37
saitama, jyapyaon
ZealousD said:
The catalyst of World War I was the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. "The Duke" was a common nickname for the original XBOX controller.

Not just a nickname, that was what the controller was called.
 

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Mar 10, 2005
15,819
0
0
Wasn't Archduke Ferdinand shot in the chest? I seem to remember something about his vanity being the ultimate cause for his death because he wanted such a perfect fit he was actually sewn into his clothing making it difficult for his wound to be treated immediately. Historical inaccuracies make for a bad comic!

Really though that was funny.
 

Circle Jerk

Member
Jul 1, 2006
2,419
0
0
Canada
So this comic is doomed to be the new PBF? Doomed to be misunderstand and then have simple jokes overblown into something else all together? Not hating, just saying this is the path it looks like its already on, basing it off the past page or so.
 

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Mar 10, 2005
15,819
0
0
Bpatrol said:
So this comic is doomed to be the new PBF? Doomed to be misunderstand and then have simple jokes overblown into something else all together? It looks like it's starting already! =/
The difference being PBF sucked to begin with.
 

szaromir

Banned
Apr 26, 2006
14,216
0
1,125
The historical reference here is clever and quite obvious, however basically the same gag was used in the comic wwhich referred to French revolution, so this one didn't make me laugh.
 

Soule

Member
Mar 11, 2007
3,768
0
995
Australia
Thanks to those who explained the comic, I wasn't a big aficionado of the original Xbox so I wasn't aware of the name. The comic creator has done such a superb job keeping up to date with timely issues I thought maybe I missed something like black falcon suggested. Thanks again all.
 

Ramenman

Member
Apr 4, 2007
7,136
0
0
I find it disturbing that so much people are wondering what the sense of this comic is when the appropriate Wikipedia link was posted at the beginning of the page :

Baha said:
So the old xbox controller was called the duke? The only reference I drew from this comic was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand_of_Austria
This is not a French Revolution comic rehash (even thought the Elite are still there), it's all about the double meaning of the Duke.
Though it would have been even better if the Elite joke hadn't already been done :D


Edit : I'm late to the Wii Music one, but it was seriously one of the awesomest awesomer, plus it has the Xbox Heckler = WIN.
 

Imperial Hot

Banned
Dec 11, 2006
6,435
0
0
Alex P said:
I really have to talk to Tyler about his translations.
It's a Mac. And then it turns into an iPhone.

The curse that is being lifted is the end of developers ignoring the Apple platform and developing for the iPhone.
 

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mar 2, 2008
50,652
0
0
twitter.com
Ramenman said:
You're talking about "Adieu my chéri" ? I like it as it is :D
It's "Adieu" my "chérie". The DS is female. We French nuts are picky as hell.

Of course, it should actually be "Adieu ma chérie", but I'm not that big of a language Nazi.
 

Ramenman

Member
Apr 4, 2007
7,136
0
0
Regulus Tera said:
It's "Adieu" my "chérie". The DS is female. We French nuts are picky as hell.

Of course, it should actually be "Adieu ma chérie", but I'm not that big of a language Nazi.
Je sais, c'est pour ça que j'aime bien. C'est comme de l' "Engrish" mais français, ça me rapelle tous les photoshop pourris dans le thread sur le lancement français de la PS3, avec les traductions foireuses de "Do not want" et autres :D
 

Insaniac

Member
Nov 10, 2006
8,370
0
1,055
haha that was great. But did he just steal a kiss with Queen DS? King Wii will not be pleased. There will be glowy death
 

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mar 2, 2008
50,652
0
0
twitter.com
Ramenman said:
Je sais, c'est pour ça que j'aime bien. C'est comme de l' "Engrish" mais français, ça me rapelle tous les photoshop pourris dans le thread sur le lancement français de la PS3, avec les traductions foireuses de "Do not want" et autres :D
Je suis désolé. :(
 

Flynn

Member
Jun 7, 2004
15,019
2
0
Drinky Crow said:
these are quite possibly the most idiotic and facile comics ever penciled by someone with asperger's
For years Drinky has hated-on Nintendo's non-games and man-child angle. And look where that got them.

Congrats, Castle Vidcons, you've made it!
 

The Hermit

Member
Jan 13, 2006
12,892
64
1,350
34
Hey Drinky got his banned tag back!

Anyway, I missed both last comics and the last one was awesome and true!

I was playing my DS in the class today and a guy in the back row was playing with the iPhone... so yeah the cursed IS lifted!
 
May 17, 2006
13,359
0
0
toronto
The joke is pretty thin. The whole "haha, talking consoles in medieval times" thing is only so funny. It's like one PBF comic being made over and over and over.
 

Narag

Member
Oct 14, 2006
53,474
1
0
i.imgur.com
BobFromPikeCreek said:
The joke is pretty thin. The whole "haha, talking consoles in medieval times" thing is only so funny. It's like one PBF comic being made over and over and over.
True. It can wear itself out fast or even alienate if it turns too esoteric but I think he's done a good job managing it thus far.
 

Alex P

Member
Sep 21, 2006
524
0
0
NY
Drinky Crow said:
these are quite possibly the most idiotic and facile comics ever penciled by someone with asperger's
Thank you for the kind words, Drinky Cow! I'll be sure to let Tyler know how you feel.

I've updated the about page with some of our best fan feedback so far.
 

Lionheart

Member
Jun 9, 2004
1,153
0
0
34
Oldenzaal, the Netherlands
Wow, I thought I 'got' most of GAF's humor, been mostly lurking on GAF for like years and laughed out loud thousands of times, but I just found this topic now and went through the pages... and I really don't get it. These comics are like not funny at all, not even a little, to me at least.

Oh well, doesn't matter anyway, glad many people seem to enjoy it. :p
 

Neomoto

Member
May 27, 2006
2,272
0
0
Alex P said:
Thank you for the kind words, Drinky Cow! I'll be sure to let Tyler know how you feel.

I've updated the about page with some of our best fan feedback so far.
Even the fan feedback section is awesome!

I laughed at this "what thfu ck is a vidcon"
 

Darkpen

Banned
Mar 14, 2007
11,247
0
0
dark-pen.deviantart.com
Lionheart said:
Wow, I thought I 'got' most of GAF's humor, been mostly lurking on GAF for like years and laughed out loud thousands of times, but I just found this topic now and went through the pages... and I really don't get it. These comics are like not funny at all, not even a little, to me at least.

Oh well, doesn't matter anyway, glad many people seem to enjoy it. :p
maybe each comic is too topical and obscure?
 

adelante

Member
Dec 28, 2005
6,413
0
730
I've always likened vidcons to editorial cartoons, with each strip often focusing on a recent newsworthy event...so its no surprise they don't appeal to some people