• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze upon with thine eyen that webcomic which doth please us. Yea, verily.

Soule

I don't get it :\

Maybe I missed something, the rest are pretty funny, especially the R4 but the last one has me a bit confused.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Soule said:

Maybe I missed something, the rest are pretty funny, especially the R4 but the last one has me a bit confused.

WWI reference.

It's okay. There's not a lot of WWI shooters in the market so it's probable you've never heard of it.

Darkpen

Banned
Alex P said:
Stop hotlinking.
fixed.

And for the new page:

2dqpnjn.jpg

Regulus Tera said:
WWI reference.

It's okay. There's not a lot of WWI shooters in the market so it's probable you've never heard of it.

That's obvious, but how does it relate to gaming? That's the part that is confusing... Xbox vs. 360? Huh? Is it about how Microsoft has stopped updating the 360's BC list, or something? Or is it just a historical reference using Vidcons...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Soule said:

The catalyst of World War I was the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. "The Duke" was a common nickname for the original XBOX controller.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
ZealousD said:
The catalyst of World War I was the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. "The Duke" was a common nickname for the original XBOX controller.

Not just a nickname, that was what the controller was called.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't Archduke Ferdinand shot in the chest? I seem to remember something about his vanity being the ultimate cause for his death because he wanted such a perfect fit he was actually sewn into his clothing making it difficult for his wound to be treated immediately. Historical inaccuracies make for a bad comic!

Really though that was funny.

So this comic is doomed to be the new PBF? Doomed to be misunderstand and then have simple jokes overblown into something else all together? Not hating, just saying this is the path it looks like its already on, basing it off the past page or so.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Bpatrol said:
So this comic is doomed to be the new PBF? Doomed to be misunderstand and then have simple jokes overblown into something else all together? It looks like it's starting already! =/
The difference being PBF sucked to begin with.

szaromir

Banned
The historical reference here is clever and quite obvious, however basically the same gag was used in the comic wwhich referred to French revolution, so this one didn't make me laugh.

Soule

Thanks to those who explained the comic, I wasn't a big aficionado of the original Xbox so I wasn't aware of the name. The comic creator has done such a superb job keeping up to date with timely issues I thought maybe I missed something like black falcon suggested. Thanks again all.

Ramenman

I find it disturbing that so much people are wondering what the sense of this comic is when the appropriate Wikipedia link was posted at the beginning of the page :

Baha said:
So the old xbox controller was called the duke? The only reference I drew from this comic was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archduke_Franz_Ferdinand_of_Austria

This is not a French Revolution comic rehash (even thought the Elite are still there), it's all about the double meaning of the Duke.
Though it would have been even better if the Elite joke hadn't already been done :D

Edit : I'm late to the Wii Music one, but it was seriously one of the awesomest awesomer, plus it has the Xbox Heckler = WIN.

Alex P said:
I really have to talk to Tyler about his translations.
It's a Mac. And then it turns into an iPhone.

The curse that is being lifted is the end of developers ignoring the Apple platform and developing for the iPhone.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ramenman said:
You're talking about "Adieu my chéri" ? I like it as it is :D

It's "Adieu" my "chérie". The DS is female. We French nuts are picky as hell.

Of course, it should actually be "Adieu ma chérie", but I'm not that big of a language Nazi.

Ramenman

Regulus Tera said:

Of course, it should actually be "Adieu ma chérie", but I'm not that big of a language Nazi.

Je sais, c'est pour ça que j'aime bien. C'est comme de l' "Engrish" mais français, ça me rapelle tous les photoshop pourris dans le thread sur le lancement français de la PS3, avec les traductions foireuses de "Do not want" et autres :D

Insaniac

haha that was great. But did he just steal a kiss with Queen DS? King Wii will not be pleased. There will be glowy death

Regulus Tera said:

*roule-yeux*

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ramenman said:
Je sais, c'est pour ça que j'aime bien. C'est comme de l' "Engrish" mais français, ça me rapelle tous les photoshop pourris dans le thread sur le lancement français de la PS3, avec les traductions foireuses de "Do not want" et autres :D

Je suis désolé. :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Drinky Crow said:
these are quite possibly the most idiotic and facile comics ever penciled by someone with asperger's

There's no way they're worse than GOD MODE or VGCats...

Flynn

Drinky Crow said:
these are quite possibly the most idiotic and facile comics ever penciled by someone with asperger's

For years Drinky has hated-on Nintendo's non-games and man-child angle. And look where that got them.

Congrats, Castle Vidcons, you've made it!

The Hermit

Hey Drinky got his banned tag back!

Anyway, I missed both last comics and the last one was awesome and true!

I was playing my DS in the class today and a guy in the back row was playing with the iPhone... so yeah the cursed IS lifted!

Haunted

Drinky Crow said:
amazing comic confirmed.

Drinky remains wrong about everything.

The joke is pretty thin. The whole "haha, talking consoles in medieval times" thing is only so funny. It's like one PBF comic being made over and over and over.

Narag

BobFromPikeCreek said:
The joke is pretty thin. The whole "haha, talking consoles in medieval times" thing is only so funny. It's like one PBF comic being made over and over and over.

True. It can wear itself out fast or even alienate if it turns too esoteric but I think he's done a good job managing it thus far.

Alex P

Drinky Crow said:

Thank you for the kind words, Drinky Cow! I'll be sure to let Tyler know how you feel.

I've updated the about page with some of our best fan feedback so far.

Lionheart

Wow, I thought I 'got' most of GAF's humor, been mostly lurking on GAF for like years and laughed out loud thousands of times, but I just found this topic now and went through the pages... and I really don't get it. These comics are like not funny at all, not even a little, to me at least.

Oh well, doesn't matter anyway, glad many people seem to enjoy it. :p

Neomoto

Alex P said:
Thank you for the kind words, Drinky Cow! I'll be sure to let Tyler know how you feel.

I've updated the about page with some of our best fan feedback so far.
Even the fan feedback section is awesome!

I laughed at this "what thfu ck is a vidcon"

Darkpen

Banned
Lionheart said:
Wow, I thought I 'got' most of GAF's humor, been mostly lurking on GAF for like years and laughed out loud thousands of times, but I just found this topic now and went through the pages... and I really don't get it. These comics are like not funny at all, not even a little, to me at least.

Oh well, doesn't matter anyway, glad many people seem to enjoy it. :p
maybe each comic is too topical and obscure?

adelante

I've always likened vidcons to editorial cartoons, with each strip often focusing on a recent newsworthy event...so its no surprise they don't appeal to some people

Top Bottom