• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

plc268

The first 3 Starfy games are JP exclusive, those might be worth checking out.

Also, F-Zero Climax. It's the third F-Zero on the GBA that never got a western release. It's pretty good, but goes for $30-$50 on ebay.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is the GBA micro worth it? I have an SP which is perfect but the micro looks incredibly portable and easy to carry around but is it worth it? They don't come particularly cheap now a days.

cafemomo

Is the GBA micro worth it? I have an SP which is perfect but the micro looks incredibly portable and easy to carry around but is it worth it? They don't come particularly cheap now a days.

Totally worth every penny.

If I'm not carrying my Vita around, it's usually my Micro.

Plus that thing is a conversation stater yo.

Peeps be amazed at it

If you're a collector, it's a nice piece, but as a practical hardware for playing GBA games, you should be fine with your SP.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Thanks guys I'll look around and see if I can find it at the right price. I don't really want to blow too much money on outdated hardware you know?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to Surugaya-a-too I just got all seven bitGenerations games and the first three Starfy games in the mail. $88 shipped for everything. The bitGenerations boxes are adorable!

So I got around to taking a picture of my GBA collection. It's not gigantic, but I'm happy with it.

And here's my OG GB collection for good measure.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sweet. I got my EZ Flash IV in, and the cartridge doesn't stick out of the GBA SP thankfully. There is a Game Boy emulator for this i'm gonna have to try out. (I'd rather play on my Nvidia Shield for Game Boy games due to the perfect pixel vertical resolution, but the novelty is nice for those who don't have it)

It makes playing Pokemon games good cause you don't have to worry about the saves dying.

I was able to back up my Pokemon Red and Yellow saves from the original carts using a InterAct memory manager and my GB USB smart card. Many other games too like the Zeldas and Donkey Kong '94!

My Gen 2 Pokemon saves are long gone though :/

cafemomo

Just bought superstar saga (cart only) for 18 bones.

Was already wayyyyy over my video game budget this month, but I couldn't resist (re)buying one of my favorite JRPGs

Kokonoe

Banned
I was able to back up my Pokemon Red and Yellow saves from the original carts using a InterAct memory manager and my GB USB smart card. Many other games too like the Zeldas and Donkey Kong '94!

My Gen 2 Pokemon saves are long gone though :/

I wish I knew where mine was. I recall buying it when I was a young child and being upset it wasn't a Gameshark so I like never used it lol. I might not have it anymore, which sucks since it's kind of pricey now and I now understand how useful it is.

Grief.exe

The problem with my portable collection is I am a PC gamer first and foremost. When I am at the house, I like to sit down and play PC games, no matter how into a portable title I am.

qq more

Good to see this thread bumped. I've been meaning to take a photo of my complete-in-box GB/GBA collection.

20131006_163400.jpg

Sadly 20 of my other GBC/GBA games aren't boxed :<

Coldsnap

Buy the games then play them on your PC with emulators.

I've been playing my GBA collection on PC past week but I've noticed games move funny. Sorta hard to explain but through emulation something feels off. It's really noticeable when trying to jump and attack in Castlevania games. I'm sure there's some sort of option to make it feel better on VisualBoyAdvance, just haven't found it yet.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I was in Singapore a few weeks ago and found BRAND new GBA SPs! :O

8ea2d2b6282911e3a94c22000ab68b88_8.jpg

Ended up getting a few for friends/family. :)

So nice...

1375972_10151723529858883_2103127799_n.jpg

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks

is the two of them green GBASPs?!!?!?!?!?

Yeah the green is extremely rare and was only released in full green casing/without pad printing/emblems in Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines (officially).

:)

JSoup

Banned
Been debating with myself for years on how far I want to take my GB collection. I've pretty much settled on just getting the few games I'm actually interested in and if something else falls into my lap along the way, all for the better.

All that's really left on my must have list is:

Bomberman Quest
Harvest Moon 3
That sewing machine add-on.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I just realized that I bought a new GBA (the good SP one) like 3 months ago, and never opened it. Man, I love surprises like that.

Grief.exe

I've been playing my GBA collection on PC past week but I've noticed games move funny. Sorta hard to explain but through emulation something feels off. It's really noticeable when trying to jump and attack in Castlevania games. I'm sure there's some sort of option to make it feel better on VisualBoyAdvance, just haven't found it yet.

It takes a great deal of CPU power for emulators to be 100% accurate, that is probably what you are feeling.

Krammy

I don't have much left in the way of Game Boy stuff, but what I do have, I consider pretty quality games. Some of this will be cross posted.

Game Boy
QFemdfh.png

NOTE: Not pictured include four different Game Boy Colours. Three are frontlit mods and two of those are also bubblegum cases (Blue/Red mixed shells). I also have loose copies of Bomberman Quest, Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, and Pokemon Crystal. Finally, a Drag'n'Derp cartridge for homebrew I work on.

Game Boy Advance
w0o7XeQ.jpg

fXBtLPN.png

my irony is that i've many units of the original JAPANESE GBA micro 25th mario anniversary , but because the shipping rates from ,y country to the US are expensive, i couldn't offer them on sale :\

anyways, i've a refurbishes GBA SP with the trilogy of DQ series, and that's that ^^

Thread revival, I guess.

I watched this yesterday, and it's inspired me to get back into my GameBoy, specifically I'm going to mod a backlight into one of my GBCs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Fbs1yZADk

Managed to find a seller online selling GBA SP front light replacements, saving me from having to hack apart a full GBA SP, and I'll also try to find a nice combination of front and back shells to make a really cool GameBoy Color of my own.

I'm also keenly watching GBA SP AGS-101's on eBay, hoping to snag one of the white ones when I get some spare cash.

GBC's aren't compatible with backlights unfortunately. I'm really happy with my backlit modded OG GBA, so I never bothered frontlighting one of my GBCs.

Krammy

I watched this yesterday, and it's inspired me to get back into my GameBoy, specifically I'm going to mod a backlight into one of my GBCs.

Firstly, as sixteen-bit mention, you can't backlight a Game Boy Colour, only frontlight.

Secondly, while I'm hopeful it works for you, know that it may not look that good. I've had three mods done from two separate people, and one of them ended up looking pretty iffy. As a warning, these images make both Game Boys look brighter than they are (with the better of the two looking eye-bleedingly vibrant).

Comparison
JkCadEz.png

(LEFT by Apeshit Mods RIGHT by JustinThursday)

Apeshit
lhzbXsO.png

Apparently Apeshit's was his first Colour mod, and it didn't turn out how I had expected it. The images and video I'd seen from Bibin's mod looked a lot brighter and just generally more clear. While the mod looked alright at night, it looks like a regular Game Boy under normal lighting.

JustinThursday
BuG8lXV.png

The JustinThursday mod was what I expected though, being comparable to Bibin's, brighter and more vibrant. It looks great in both regular light and in darkness.

Finally, for anyone who's curious about actually ordering mods, I wouldn't recommend either for this. Apeshit simply didn't have enough experience with them (maybe he's worked on more now?), while JustinThursday was late to get my order out, and once it arrived, I was greeted to Game Boys that had been poorly packaged, with glue residue on both, some pressure points under the screens (that fixed themselves after a few weeks) and dust underneath as well.

Ah, yes. I did mean front light there, slip of the tongue/keyboard.

Thanks for those example images, I'm hoping I can do a reasonable job. If not, I have a couple of GBCs, and the front light module only cost about $10, so it'll be no major issue if I completely screw up.

The games were mostly crap like Petz and Whack-A-Mole, but 4 good games came with it:

Super Mario Advance 1, 2, and 4
WarioWare Twisted

I already had WarioWare and SMA2 so I'm going to end up selling them (and hopefully bringing the total cost of this down some) so I'm only keeping the two other Mario Advance games.

And then, since I hate having GBA games without boxes, I went and bought boxes/manuals for the two games I'm keeping. Now I have all 4 Mario Advance games CIB.

plc268

The games were mostly crap like Petz and Whack-A-Mole, but 4 good games came with it:

Super Mario Advance 1, 2, and 4
WarioWare Twisted

I already had WarioWare and SMA2 so I'm going to end up selling them (and hopefully bringing the total cost of this down some) so I'm only keeping the two other Mario Advance games.

And then, since I hate having GBA games without boxes, I went and bought boxes/manuals for the two games I'm keeping. Now I have all 4 Mario Advance games CIB.

Why not get some DS cases (with the gba slot) and print out some covers?

I have a couple of GBA boxes myself, but they're annoying to retrieve the game from, so I take the manual and game and stuff it in a ds case while I have the box safely flattened in a drawer.

I have all my other GBA games in boxes, so it's mostly a consistency thing. I am planning on getting some DS cases and printing covers for my regular Gameboy games, since those boxes are expensive to acquire and I don't have any boxes so I can stay consistent.

Although I don't actually keep any games in their boxes. They're purely for display only.

Top Bottom