• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

milkham

He does a fantastic job.

So for someone lightly out of the loop, how do the newly made AGS-101 screen compare to the previous ones (from a year+ back)? I could never tell if those were overstock or B stock but I figure the new AGS-101 screens available are clearly recently manufactured. I'm curious if it's worth it to put the new screen in place of a previously done AGB-101...

And as far as a backlit/backlight GBC, do we have a solution yet or are people slowly working on ways to modify the housing to hold the AGS-101 screen? I'd LOVE to get a backlit midnight blue GBC (I have the shell/system just sitting around).

No idea on current screens vs old, but I don't see any ghosting or washing out that I've seen people mention on mine which was bought recently. I have no complaints about it.

regarding the GBC mod, I saw bennvenn say on reddit that removing the metal shield around the screen makes everything fit better. he's also selling premodded shells
https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/products/custom-gbc-shell-for-101-lcd

kbohs

6J1cKCg.jpg

Took awhile but I finally got my modded AGB-001. Took a quick picture of it along with some games I have out and some new custom cases for my growing game + manual collection. Currently playing through Circle of the Moon, planning to start Wario Land 4 after - it'll be the first time I replayed it since it came out in '01. Thinking about picking up Astro Boy this weekend since I get paid.

That jet black GBA is sexy as hell! Loving your game collection too! If you get Astro Boy, you gotta let us know what you think!

I'm currently playing through Order of Ecclesia right now, but that pic is making me want to take out Circle of the Moon again.

prateeko

No idea on current screens vs old, but I don't see any ghosting or washing out that I've seen people mention on mine which was bought recently. I have no complaints about it.

regarding the GBC mod, I saw bennvenn say on reddit that removing the metal shield around the screen makes everything fit better. he's also selling premodded shells
https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/products/custom-gbc-shell-for-101-lcd

Would you mind taking a video of your AGB-101 that you purchased recently? All the AGS-101 screens had some ghosting (which then carried over to the AGB-101 mods) so if there really isn't ghosting then it means the new screens are an improvement over the OG run (I am assuming all of these are newly produced since we're so far out of the original production time frame)

Peltz

Just bought a (hopefully) pristine GBC with Kirby Tilt N Tumble.

Atomic Purple just like my childhood. Can't wait. I've always wanted to try this game but haven't had a top-loading Gameboy device in forever.

milkham

Would you mind taking a video of your AGB-101 that you purchased recently? All the AGS-101 screens had some ghosting (which then carried over to the AGB-101 mods) so if there really isn't ghosting then it means the new screens are an improvement over the OG run (I am assuming all of these are newly produced since we're so far out of the original production time frame)

what game is a good test for it? maybe i just don't know what to look for.

Peagles

what game is a good test for it? maybe i just don't know what to look for.

I always like using the title screen of WarioWare Twisted. On a 001 screen you can see distinct and clean orange and yellow rings clearly moving outwards in a circle, but on a 101 they get quite blurred.

milkham

It is way harder to make a video of this than I expected.

I tried the title screen of warioware twisted, it was difficult to compare because the screens are so different and the expansion is kind of hypnotic if i focus on it, but I think I see what you are talking about peagles. The leading edge of the expanding circle is... slightly different than the rest of it. I think I see it as well but to a lesser extent on the 001 screen.

I tried running around in super mario 3 but I couldn't tell.

I did however notice that in the opening scene of Yoshi's Island, the part where it auto scrolls and shows the different colored yoshi with baby mario with the little bit of story, the scrolling of the leaves is noticeably smoother on the 001 screen.

It's probably safe to say the problem is still there but I have trouble perceiving it in most circumstances.

shitty video follows
https://youtu.be/hxPqeBr8J3w
don't smash that like button! its unlisted anyway!

Peagles

Yeh it's actually very difficult to capture on video. It really is one of those things you need to see with your own eyes and judge it that way.

Oh. I meant Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3.

Yoshi's Island scrolling speed is way slower. In actual Mario 3 you move pretty fast and there are a lot of elements in the background outlined with black. It smears really clearly.

kbohs

I hear good things about one of the TMNT games for GBA but can't for the life of me determine if people are talking about the two Konami games or the Ubisoft game. My gut would tell me the Konami ones are the ones to get since TMNT IV and all, but it seems like people specifically reference the Ubisoft game in particular. Help me GAF, I could go for a solid beat em up.

TheMoon

I hear good things about one of the TMNT games for GBA but can't for the life of me determine if people are talking about the two Konami games or the Ubisoft game. My gut would tell me the Konami ones are the ones to get since TMNT IV and all, but it seems like people specifically reference the Ubisoft game in particular. Help me GAF, I could go for a solid beat em up.

Konami.

...And now on a GBP?

Yup. This is the real test.

The Konami ones are good and I liked the Ubisoft "TMNT" game as well. The first Konami game is a beat-em-up and the second one kinda plays a little like Ninja Five-O but not as good. The Ubisoft one is a beat-em-up as well and plays a little like Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

Peltz

Oh. I meant Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3.

Yoshi's Island scrolling speed is way slower. In actual Mario 3 you move pretty fast and there are a lot of elements in the background outlined with black. It smears really clearly.

Agreed. SMA4:SMB3 is a mess on my AGS-101.

emb

Friend of mine told me about this idea from having seen it somewhere else, so it's not original, but using nail polish racks to store/display handheld carts works out great. Tried it out recently:
Sadly (as in the last pic) it doesn't quite fit 5 GB/C games on a row (or 4 VB games <.<). Think I'm gonna try to build out something similar that's a better fit. Each shelf could definitely be thinner and would be nice to have a wider unit that's taller, with several more shelves. Can't quite find a perfect one online.

We got a Game Boy thread in Gaming.

D.Lo's going to war in there.

FWIW (I didn't want to post there since it's a bit of cesspool) I don't really care where you classify the GBC, I just wish more people were aware of the really neat games on GBC. Especially when you consider how much more advanced they were than the "time waster" or "cut down NES game" many people seem to associate with GB.

D.Lo

D.Lo's going to war in there.

FWIW (I didn't want to post there since it's a bit of cesspool) I don't really care where you classify the GBC, I just wish more people were aware of the really neat games on GBC. Especially when you consider how much more advanced they were than the "time waster" or "cut down NES game" many people seem to associate with GB.
Lol.

GBC did have a relatively short life in the sun, and the screen is a bitch to use today, but I enjoyed it back in the day, it was a great companion to the N64, just like GBA was to GameCube.

Lol.

GBC did have a relatively short life in the sun, and the screen is a bitch to use today, but I enjoyed it back in the day, it was a great companion to the N64, just like GBA was to GameCube.
Ironically the screen looked great in sunlight.

The GBC is my favorite of the three. I didn't really get into GBA games until the last ~5 years. I only owned two GBA games from 2002 to 2013. I'd kill for a good backlight solution for the GBC, my Pikachu Edition that I've used since 1998 would love it.

Ironically the screen looked great in sunlight.

The GBC is my favorite of the three. I didn't really get into GBA games until the last ~5 years. I only owned two GBA games from 2002 to 2013. I'd kill for a good backlight solution for the GBC, my Pikachu Edition that I've used since 1998 would love it.

Funny story. I was sitting on the back deck playing my backlit GBC and I couldn't see fuck all with the angle the sun was coming in. I went and got my regular GBC and could see everything clear as day. I thought "well shit"

I think I'm going to buy another GBA, throw a glass screen on it, and rock it with the regular screen for outdoor use!

Funny story. I was sitting on the back deck playing my backlit GBC and I couldn't see fuck all with the angle the sun was coming in. I went and got my regular GBC and could see everything clear as day. I thought "well shit"

I think I'm going to buy another GBA, throw a glass screen on it, and rock it with the regular screen for outdoor use!

Yeah it's really useful to have two GBAs for that.

coughlanio

I'm considering offloading some of my Game Boys and games. Have a bunch of rare and uncommon Japanese games. If anyone is interested, I can stick something up in one of the BST threads.

I'm considering offloading some of my Game Boys and games. Have a bunch of rare and uncommon Japanese games. If anyone is interested, I can stick something up in one of the BST threads.

I think people would be interested. I'm always up for looking. Post it and give us a link to your post in this thread.

milkham

I'd be interested in just seeing your collection even. I don't really have the cash to go for any rare stuff but better than rolling the dice on ebay.

milkham

am i double posting?
I bought some boxes from retroprotection, really like the quality of them. My order arrived in 3 days!

jAfjx0ql.jpg

Speaking of Everdrive, did anyone buy the new GB Everdrive? I'm curious how the RTC works. It sounded like you needed to punch in a time manually each time you play. Or does it work just like the real thing, where in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal you'll have the correct time maintained.

I'm probably going to do some eBay things next time I get paid. I have some questions. Are refurbished 101s just as good as Nintendo made? What's the opinion on micros? I might get both.

eBay is my only option where I live is it still rife with fake carts?

So, lacking any impulse control I bought a backlit modded GBA from godofgaming on eBay. The screen looks great but there are some quality issues with the case.

For some reason when I use (fully charged) Amazon Basic High Capacity Rechargeable Batteries the power light with sometimes flash quickly between red and green. Regular AAs don't have this issue. Second the battery cover is already kind of loose. Third, it appears that the shell isn't flush between the two halves on the bottom completely. Fourth, the glass screen seems to bulge out above the shell at the bottom.

I'm a little disappointed. I think I might do a shell swap with my original GBA.

So what's the solution to the glass screen if I don't want to swap out the front half of the case? Just pry it off and put a new one on?

Leave it as is. The screens are supposed to come with adhesive on the back but I've heard some people use double sided tape, which is too thick.

If it falls off get a new screen, they're pretty cheap.

hitgirl

Mailed my whole GBA / GBC collection to my old house. Now just been playing them on Retroarch and I do enjoy it a lot. Just went through all the Castlevanias again.

Top Bottom