• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Does the Everdrive drain the battery faster than a normal cart? Also would I need the Everdrive GB and the Everdrive GBA? Or does the latter also support GB/C roms?

In my experience it does drain a little faster. But it wasn't enough of a dip for it to be a deal breaker.

The Everdrive GBA does support GB/C roms but you need to put the Goomba emulator (.GBA file) inside the sys folder on your SD card. Then it will run any GB/C roms you have using that. There is a similar option for Game Gear and Master System games.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Thanks for posting this link. I've been having red light issues with my modded GBA using Amazon batteries, and I thought it was due to an issue with my soldering job (it was the first time I ever soldered, and I installed a voltage regulator, so lots of small areas requiring soldering), but I can rest easy. Might still give the contacts a clean, though.

D.Lo

Which is considered the superior palette for Metroid II, specifically?
The Game Boy Color palette is much better than the SGB one. SGB default one is a garish mess, it looks like an old CGA game.

GBC one is quite solid, but it shows a flaw with the partial colorisation.

When a whole game is black and white, you forget after 3 minutes and are just playing. Your brain adjusts and fills in the blanks.

When it is partially colourised, and Metroid II is done quite well on GBC, the game looks in colour, but gets mega repetitive. EVERY rock is blue. In B&W everyTHING is a shade of grey so there is no repetition, just an overall limitation.

D.Lo

I might be alone in this, but I really prefer to just play in black and white.
I actually played my NES and early SNES games in black and white. I only had a B&W TV in my room and TVs were expensive back then and we were relatively poor. I had to memorise which potion did which is Solstice and Zelda 3.

I finally got a colour TV when we convinced my dad to buy a new TV behind mum's back one day (so I got the old one - colour but still RF only input!). It was $900 in 1994 I think, which was a lot for us. But I got to play Super Metroid in colour!

The Game Boy Color palette is much better than the SGB one. SGB default one is a garish mess, it looks like an old CGA game.

GBC one is quite solid, but it shows a flaw with the partial colorisation.

When a whole game is black and white, you forget after 3 minutes and are just playing. Your brain adjusts and fills in the blanks.

When it is partially colourised, and Metroid II is done quite well on GBC, the game looks in colour, but gets mega repetitive. EVERY rock is blue. In B&W everyTHING is a shade of grey so there is no repetition, just an overall limitation.

Yeah, that's exactly it. Much prefer B&W. As is almost always the case with these things, sticking closer to the original intent yields a better experience.

Is there any particular seller of AGB-001 replacement shells that has best quality? Particularly ones that fit together as seamlessly as stock shells?

Peagles

Is there any particular seller of AGB-001 replacement shells that has best quality? Particularly ones that fit together as seamlessly as stock shells?

Not that I'm aware of, but they should fit flush regardless. The 101 mod involves plastic trimming and cramming a lot of stuff into that shell though, is it possible yours simply needs to be put back together a bit more compacted in order to fit together better? That also could be causing the screen bulge.

Not that I'm aware of, but they should fit flush regardless. The 101 mod involves plastic trimming and cramming a lot of stuff into that shell though, is it possible yours simply needs to be put back together a bit more compacted in order to fit together better? That also could be causing the screen bulge.
I'll look at that. If I am going to keep it in the same case I need to replace the d-pad anyway, it's too mushy compared to stock for my tastes.

The guy I bought it from is based in Austin and shipped it out like a day and half before Harvey hit, maybe he was in a rush.

Got my Gameboy Player set up again and I just picked up MGS: Ghost Babel, Warioland 3 & 4, and the GBA Mario Golf game at my local retro shop tonight.

Peagles

I'll look at that. If I am going to keep it in the same case I need to replace the d-pad anyway, it's too mushy compared to stock for my tastes.

The guy I bought it from is based in Austin and shipped it out like a day and half before Harvey hit, maybe he was in a rush.

The d-pad might actually be mushy because of the cramming too...

I prefer pea soup green and darker pea soup shades.

Haha yes. Those were the days! Bit of motion blur too? :p

Are you running through GBi?

I wish. I'm actually glad you asked.

It's nice to be able to play the games on a CRT but good lord they are blurry. If I weren't playing pretty much everything else at 240p I might not care but it's really glaring now. I am so curious about GBI but I am a total dunce when it comes to homebrew stuff and I use Macs at both home and work, and it seems all of those programs use Windows to set up. I can't get the FDSStick setup despite everyone here asssuring me its idiot proof.

So question: can I setup GBI on a Mac? How hard is it for dummies?

Peltz

I wish. I'm actually glad you asked.

It's nice to be able to play the games on a CRT but good lord they are blurry. If I weren't playing pretty much everything else at 240p I might not care but it's really glaring now. I am so curious about GBI but I am a total dunce when it comes to homebrew stuff and I use Macs at both home and work, and it seems all of those programs use Windows to set up. I can't get the FDSStick setup despite everyone here asssuring me its idiot proof.

So question: can I setup GBI on a Mac? How hard is it for dummies?
You can do it on a mac. I did it.

Just download and put it on the SD card. Couldn't be easier.

Went past a recycling/used stuff shop today and found this for just 690 yen in their games section. Apart from a couple minor blemishes on the screen surrounds, it's perfect! Pretty nice color too, not at all too girly for me :D

NFnakhzl.jpg

OK so GBI. Looks like I can get the disc and adaptor together in a package like this (which seems expensive):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datel-SD-Me...d=192291537410&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Or I can get the adaptor and AR disc separately, like these. And I'll need the SD card. I have several older type cards laying around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-Memory-F...d=192293494968&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gamecube-Ac...629730?hash=item5b309d2822:g:juMAAOSwImRYWeGB

Any reason NOT to get these separately?

I just want to chime in and say figuring out gbi is 100% worth it. The upgrade is HUGE.

Once you get your sd launcher you can also use Swiss which will "unlock the power" of your GameCube!

BTails

Alright, so I ordered a new GBA backlit screen off of Aliexpress, plus the ribbon cable I'll need (got both 40-pin versions depending on which version of the screen I get) and a glass replacement screen. Wish me luck when it arrives in 45ish days from China!

EDIT: and of course I broke the battery compartment door while cleaning my GBA. *sigh*

The d-pad might actually be mushy because of the cramming too...

Haha yes. Those were the days! Bit of motion blur too? :p

I opened it up and the screen has this sticky black pad on the back and there is no wire leading form the adapter to the motherboard.

Removed the sticky pads on both the back and front of the screen. used my dremel to fix the half-assed job the guy did of trimming the case, and replaced the rubber contacts for the d-pad. Now its 99% perfect. Case is flush, d-pad feels right. The glass screen still bulges a tiny bit at the bottom, but much less than before.

I've been playing the Zelda: Oracle games for 16 years of my life and only today do I find out that when played on a GBA the games have a weird brightened color pallette:

Original:
YJzwJLG.jpg

GBA:
zsiwvCn.jpg

Apparently this was done because the GBA's screen is so dark.

I'm just going to add this to my pile of "reasons to play GameBoy platform games on their original hardware."

Peagles

I opened it up and the screen has this sticky black pad on the back and there is no wire leading form the adapter to the motherboard.

Removed the sticky pads on both the back and front of the screen. used my dremel to fix the half-assed job the guy did of trimming the case, and replaced the rubber contacts for the d-pad. Now its 99% perfect. Case is flush, d-pad feels right. The glass screen still bulges a tiny bit at the bottom, but much less than before.

Good job!

No wire? Is the screen kinda dim? It's not 100% necessary but it does increase the brightness significantly.

Peltz

I've been playing the Zelda: Oracle games for 16 years of my life and only today do I find out that when played on a GBA the games have a weird brightened color pallette:

Original:
YJzwJLG.jpg

GBA:
zsiwvCn.jpg

Apparently this was done because the GBA's screen is so dark.

I'm just going to add this to my pile of "reasons to play GameBoy platform games on their original hardware."
Wow. Never knew this.

if there were a way to maybe the GBC look in the dark as it looks under good lighting, it would be the best screen in the entire gameboy line by a country mile. It's really nice.

D.Lo

Yeah I assume it was the other way around? Though most fans of course did beat CoTM on an original Game Boy Advance as that's all there was at the time!

Apparently CoTM was developed without access to final hardware so used a rich/dark 'console' palette which looked good on the screen, but was hard to see if there was any glare because it was so dark. Similarly, evidence suggests HoD was developed by a blind and deaf person.

Peltz

Yeah I assume it was the other way around? Though most fans of course did beat CoTM on an original Game Boy Advance as that's all there was at the time!

Apparently CoTM was developed without access to final hardware so used a rich/dark 'console' palette which looked good on the screen, but was hard to see if there was any glare because it was so dark. Similarly, evidence suggests HoD was developed by a blind and deaf person.
As far as I know, even in ideal lighting conditions, you still can't see all of the colors if CoTM on a non backlit screen. Even with a front light, there's colors you just cannot see.

That game basically requires a backlight to see a lot of the background artwork.

How long should I give Retrogate to ship the Everdrive GBA I ordered before I initiate a chargeback if they continue to fail to respond to my emails?

BTails

I definitely finished Circle of the Moon on the original, unbacklit GBA. I remember playing it in French class in high school.

How long should I give Retrogate to ship the Everdrive GBA I ordered before I initiate a chargeback if they continue to fail to respond to my emails?

Yikes... Yeah I've heard horror stories about them. When did you order it? And I would suggest StoneAgeGamer in the future. I've ordered the Everdrive GBA and GB/GBC models from them and had no issues whatsoever.

Top Bottom