• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Yikes... Yeah I've heard horror stories about them. When did you order it? And I would suggest StoneAgeGamer in the future. I've ordered the Everdrive GBA and GB/GBC models from them and had no issues whatsoever.
A week ago. Their FAQ said it would only take 2-3 days. I think I'll give them until Thursday to ship or at least reply to me.

I paid with my card through PayPal, so I'll get my money back without an issue.

BTails

I always order direct from Krikzz, he's usually very quick to ship stuff upon ordering. And Black Friday sales are nice too :)

I'm looking at the GBA X5 and Gameboy X7 this upcoming Black Friday...

I always order direct from Krikzz, he's usually very quick to ship stuff upon ordering. And Black Friday sales are nice too :)

I'm looking at the GBA X5 and Gameboy X7 this upcoming Black Friday...

is the black friday sale typically 10% off?
also, how does an EZ Flash IV do GB and GBC roms? through goomba as well?

is the black friday sale typically 10% off?
also, how does an EZ Flash IV do GB and GBC roms? through goomba as well?

Yup, it uses Goomba as well. But it's not as straight-forward. You need to use another app to compile the games you want to use with it into a single .gba file. Then you load that file and you choose the game you want to play via a menu.

Yup, it uses Goomba as well. But it's not as straight-forward. You need to use another app to compile the games you want to use with it into a single .gba file. Then you load that file and you choose the game you want to play via a menu.

Thanks for the info. I should just hold out for the everdrive.

milkham

Do you guys use any kind of cases for your gameboys? I use to just throw my original GBA in my pants pocket or in a pocket in my backpack. I carried my SP naked until I realized the top was getting scratched up and I put it in this Pelican leather condom thing.

NFh6j5Xm.jpg

The only thing I can really find for the original GBA form factor are those nylon pouches that say GAMEBOY ADVANCE on them. I was hoping there is something better looking and maybe not specifically designed and branded for the GBA out there that works.

Hot my Everdrive GBA. Works great, even Goomba Color and PocketNES work well. Are there other any emulators natively supported by the Everdrive GBA?

The battery thing is normal.

Case thing is pretty well documented. 3rd party cases are made from molds created from original cases, so they will never be perfect. Some are better than others but yeah an original case in good condition is a good choice. Except with the backlit screen there isn't enough space so you'll need to do some extensive cutting to get the screen to fit. I used the back from an original case for a while which helped a lot.

Bulge with the glass screen likely means the adhesive isn't done right.

Good to know this is the case. I have a modded gba as well and the light randomly goes green to red. I can tap the power button and fiddle with it a bit and it will change, but it's pretty consistent overall that it just does it randomly.

BTails

Any recommendations on a Triwing screwdriver or bit for the GBA? I was going to order a cheap one off Amazon last night, but I'm worried about stripping screws if the cheap screwdrivers listed are really poor quality.

Any recommendations on a Triwing screwdriver or bit for the GBA? I was going to order a cheap one off Amazon last night, but I'm worried about stripping screws if the cheap screwdrivers listed are really poor quality.

I bought a set so cheap the screwdriver itself stripped LOL.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

I bought a cheapie on Amazon. No trouble with it stripping screws (your problem there will come from cheap screws, rather than the screwdriver itself), but the shaft has come loose in the plastic handle, so half the time when I twist it, the shaft itself twists not the screw...

BTails

I ended up ordering an Triwing Bit off of eBay instead of a screwdriver for $4.99 USD. I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully it'll be higher quality than the $0.99 Chinese special!

hitgirl

Anyone got a decent gameboy game they'd sell me for cheap? I got a gameboy with a missing front screen, I just want to see it works before I buy a glass one off Klipsch Bent and I have no games to test!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Any Game Boy-collectors here? I own a copy of Bamse, one of the rarest games on the system that was only released in scandinavia. Looking to find a good home for this one.

Does anyone have recomendations for purchasing a ABG-001 modified with a AGS-101 screen? Ideally tuned for the brightest setting. I have explored my options and the scaling on the n3DS XL is not ideal for me, and unfortunately the story is the same for the Revo K101+.

hitgirl

Easy way to clean the contacts on a original gameboy? I got one and it looked like the cartridge sat too long inside the gameboy and was corroded a bit.

Touchscreens were a thing in 1989 but it would clash with Nintendo's philosophy of "Lateral Thinking of Withered Technology"

In hindsight it was smart thinking. The gameboys "impulse buy" price tag was the biggest reason for its success and a touch screen would have ruined that.

piggychan

I sold my GBA micro a few months back and now I picked this up along with Golden Sun. I miss the brightness of the micro but I think it was the my life in gaming vid on gameboy screens they mentioned the ags-101 had ghosting so I decided to just get a normal GBASP

AtzpfWi.jpg

TheMoon

I sold my GBA micro a few months back and now I picked this up along with Golden Sun. I miss the brightness of the micro but I think it was the my life in gaming vid on gameboy screens they mentioned the ags-101 had ghosting so I decided to just get a normal GBASP

AtzpfWi.jpg

It's actually refreshing to see a post here about a normal ass GBA (SP) instead of something about backlight mods :D

The light on the frontlit GBA SP takes a bit of getting used to (the angle mostly) but depending on the game I really prefer it to my backlit modded AGB-001.

I wasn't a fan of the frontlight from the start but I just made due. The NDSL was a revelation thanks to BC. The GBA games looked so vibrant in comparison to my SP at the time.

piggychan

I 've completely forgot that the GBA SP's require an adapter for headphones.

So I've picked up this cheap 3rd party one on ebay which goes into the back of the recharge port but it requires some force which I'm not too keen on. Looks like I'm going to use it sparingly.

I guess finding an official one of these is not going to be easy at a decent price...
bwDk2wx.jpg

milkham

I 've completely forgot that the GBA SP's require an adapter for headphones.

So I've picked up this cheap 3rd party one on ebay which goes into the back of the recharge port but it requires some force which I'm not too keen on. Looks like I'm going to use it sparingly.

I guess finding an official one of these is not going to be easy at a decent price...
bwDk2wx.jpg

how does it sound?

BTails

Hey guys, I did the thing! Finally got my screwdriver set in, so I was able to pop this bad boy open and get the new screen in + glass screen cover. I'm super happy with how it turned out, ordered everything off of Ali Express.

Despite an xacto knife breaking while shaving down the plastic (and cutting my thumb up!), it was a pretty easy mod. Can't wait to play some games on this thing.

I didn't actually end up soldering the lone wire on the ribbon cable, I've heard it makes the system brighter, but it's honestly already pretty bright. I don't think I'd want it any brighter, especially if I was playing the dark!!

I have TWO QUESTIONS though, that hopefully someone with experience can help out with (Peagles, halp plz!)
  1. I remember reading something about the battery light and new-ish batteries. The indicator light is constantly flashing between GREEN/RED.
  2. The headphone-out sound is absolutely borked. It has a VERY loud hum, and lots of interference. I've noticed that interference seems to happen as the battery indicator light flashes between green and red. I plan on opening the GBA up this evening and tinkering, but any help to point me inthe right direction would be great.

Some more pics:

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I have TWO QUESTIONS though, that hopefully someone with experience can help out with (Peagles, halp plz!)

1. [*]I remember reading something about the battery light and new-ish batteries. The indicator light is constantly flashing between GREEN/RED.
  2. The headphone-out sound is absolutely borked. It has a VERY loud hum, and lots of interference. I've noticed that interference seems to happen as the battery indicator light flashes between green and red. I plan on opening the GBA up this evening and tinkering, but any help to point me inthe right direction would be great.

Mine does the same thing. It's from using a particular type of rechargeable battery.

From earlier in the thread:

BTails

Mine does the same thing. It's from using a particular type of rechargeable battery.

Haha, I KNEW I'd read that post somehwere, but couldn't remember if it was here or gbatemp. Thanks for the info.

So I'm guessing the interference from the sound must be a grounding problem somewhere, considering it fluctuates with that same power issue. Step 1 tonight then might be to clean all the contacts, including that power switch. I didn't know if actually conducted energy, maybe I shouldn't have put it in a soapy bucket like the other buttons to clean them last night!

Peagles

Looking good BTails! Glad you took the plunge finally :)

As above, battery thing is normal with rechargeables. It’s something to do with how rechargeables handle voltage if I remember right, and nothing to worry about.

The headphone hum... also normal to some degree, and apparently more pronounced the better your headphones are. Mine is only noticeable because of the silence of the EZ Flash menu, but once I’m in a game with the sound going, I don’t notice it at all. If yours is a lot worse then some cleaning may help, but I’ve had it on all my GBAs... even the Micro... especially the Micro :(

BTails

Cleaning the power switch seemed to clear up a lot of the interference. The hum is still there, but nowhere near as strong. I still think I can do a better job with the power switch, apparently there's a "sandpaper method"?

I'll do some more research... In the meantime, Castlevania Circle of the Moon awaits!

Cody_D165

Banned
Hey all, if possible could I ask someone here a favor? My buddy picked up a Ninja Five-O cart earlier today and we are both fairly confident of its legitimacy, but he has some slight reservations as we cannot find a direct board photo to compare it to. If anyone has a copy of the game and the necessary triwing, would you mind taking photos of the board and sending them along so we can compare them to what he bought? It would be greatly appreciated.

TheMoon

Hey all, if possible could I ask someone here a favor? My buddy picked up a Ninja Five-O cart earlier today and we are both fairly confident of its legitimacy, but he has some slight reservations as we cannot find a direct board photo to compare it to. If anyone has a copy of the game and the necessary triwing, would you mind taking photos of the board and sending them along so we can compare them to what he bought? It would be greatly appreciated.

I don't open carts up but I can at least give you a look at the stenciled number on the front sticker and the backscrew.

n50front4hsja.jpg
n50bacz3ssz.jpg

n50dzsrb.jpg
n50bottomuysxi.jpg

Peltz

It's kind of crazy that there's no website for GBA PCB scans (correct me if I'm wrong) like there is for MVS scans.

There should be a website like that for every type of retro system's library that is cart based. Maybe we should start one?

It's kind of crazy that there's no website for GBA PCB scans (correct me if I'm wrong) like there is for MVS scans.

There should be a website like that for every type of retro system's library that is cart based. Maybe we should start one?

That’s really cool. I have had day dreams about creating a comprehensive NES site some day. Basically similar to NES Guide ... only good.

Top Bottom