• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Wolfe

I spent a lot of time as a kid playing my Gameboy, in all I had a Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket and the original GBA. Ended up getting rid of all of them and my games at some point unfortunately but since then I've been recollecting them and currently have a white (found a backlit model on craigslist and repainted it) GBA SP and a famicom version Gameboy Micro.

I'm still working on picking up games I want but have slowed down considerably since Gamestop stopped selling them, was able to snag some awesome games for just a few bucks each.

This is what my current collection looks like, honestly though I've been meaning to get rid of shit like Underground and Driver 2, I just wanted to like a driving game on GBA but it isn't meant to be I guess. Luckily Road Rash isn't horrible.
zxKvJlW.jpg

And make sure to only check out completed listings.

Also, examples of "normal" and "rare" games? Because I think actual rare games would be a lot more than $15, even for loose carts.

I have a feeling they're selling "stuff that's still warming shelves at Walmart and Amazon NIB" for $10 and "games that aren't still warming shelves but definitely aren't rare" $15.

I will go down there again and check and report back, they have them all in business cards holder so you cant even see the titles.

I know for sure they want like $15 for Metroid 2 for GB, without a cover sticker :(

Borman

Wario Blast and Bomberman GB came today, woo. Still going to be a week or more for the Gameboy Light, thinking about going and grabbing a Pocket while I wait.

I will go down there again and check and report back, they have them all in business cards holder so you cant even see the titles.

I know for sure they want like $15 for Metroid 2 for GB, without a cover sticker :(

Shoot I have a loose copy of Metroid 2, I could beat their prices, haha.

This is what my current collection looks like, honestly though I've been meaning to get rid of shit like Underground and Driver 2, I just wanted to like a driving game on GBA but it isn't meant to be I guess. Luckily Road Rash isn't horrible.
zxKvJlW.jpg
If you want a good driving game for the GBA - get V-Rally 3. It's amazing.

plc268

Also, I don't know it if it's been mentioned yet, but if you're starting a GBA collection, be VERY careful of counterfeits out there. For one, if buying ebay, don't buy any games out of China. Period. It's a 99.99% probability that it's counterfeit.

Not only that, there's enough supply of counterfeits out there, that they even plague used game stores and other ebay auctions. Personally, I avoid amazon like the plague, since there are no pictures of the item. With ebay, you have pictures and can easily sort out the obvious fakes.

Some fakes have gotten pretty good and are hard to distinguish from authentics. Personally, if I'm buying online, I'm always looking for that number stamp that's on the label of every real GBA game. Some stamps are easy to see, and some are only visible in the best lighting. If the picture on the auction is good enough, you can generally spot these stamps.

If I'm buying carts in person, I generally skip that step, and look for the silk screened nintendo logo that's on the game board itself, right above the pins.

Borman

Went to a local game store to buy a GBP while I wait for my light, along with some games. Checked their website and Facebook, said they were opened. Got there, and they were closed. Second time it has happened, really disappointed. They are really close to losing my business at this point.

Timeless

Also, I don't know it if it's been mentioned yet, but if you're starting a GBA collection, be VERY careful of counterfeits out there. For one, if buying ebay, don't buy any games out of China. Period. It's a 99.99% probability that it's counterfeit.

One thing I never understood: why don't counterfeit Mother 3 carts exist? There would be huge demand, especially if they were the hacked English version. Mother 3 is worth >$70. A small run of illegal reproduction carts (really just GBA flashcarts pre-flashed with the M3 translation and painted + labelled accordingly) have been sold for $50 each.

Considering how absolutely cheaply these GBA carts can be made, what is stopping China?

plc268

One thing I never understood: why don't counterfeit Mother 3 carts exist? There would be huge demand, especially if they were the hacked English version. Mother 3 is worth >$70. A small run of illegal reproduction carts (really just GBA flashcarts pre-flashed with the M3 translation and painted + labelled accordingly) have been sold for $50 each.

Considering how absolutely cheaply these GBA carts can be made, what is stopping China?

No clue. I've been wondering the same, myself. It'd be the one repro card that I'd actually buy. But, there is a guy over on the Nintendoage forums that is planning to make a large production run of Mother 3 translated carts with new parts and is not made from flashcarts. That's in definite questionable legal territory though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
No clue. I've been wondering the same, myself. It'd be the one repro card that I'd actually buy. But, there is a guy over on the Nintendoage forums that is planning to make a large production run of Mother 3 translated carts with new parts and is not made from flashcarts. That's in definite questionable legal territory though.

Is he selling them at a profit or just for the cost of materials?

plc268

becoming increasing aware of fake gba games on ebay, although its not super plagued.

noticed this fake however,, which has a box which doesnt seem to match anywhere region:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321072145377?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

There's a lot more on ebay than you realize. A lot of the obvious fakes were early attempts... counterfeiters got much better as the years went on, and is very difficult to distinguish.

As long as you're careful with what you buy, you'll be fine. Just remember, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Chinner

Banned
just ordered a twi-wing screwdriver for a quid. at least i'll be able to eliminate fake copies if i get any, and hopefully get my cash back. unless theres a safe place to buy from in the UK/

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Well I scored a Mega Man 5 for gb with a manual today on Ebay for $53. not bad.

Mega Man 5

I wish I never sold my complete in box original, but this is nice.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I love the Gameboy line so much. I still, even over the past few years, play it more than my DS/3DS stuff.

After months of waffling about spending so much money, I picked up the Goemon 1 + 2 GBA cartridge mint in box over the weekend for 4600 yen. It combines the first 2 Super Famicom games and adds saving to the first (which is a huge improvement). I only hesitated because it would be about 1000 yen cheaper to get the original SFC games and the GBA version drops multiplayer, but now that I've been playing them, even though it cost me more than Fire Emblem 6 or Mother 3, I have no regrets.

I miss the gba advance. I need to pick up another ags101 but I'm so picky about the screen that I haven't found one I find acceptable.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Here's mine.
It's worth considering that I only pursue complete games, no box/manual no dice. Hate my "plain" R-Type and TLOZ:LA! And that I paid no more than $15 each, besides Mario games and RT JPN, thanks to CDUniverse giving away games at bargain bin prices till less than 2 years ago... Most people didn't know about GBA deal at CDU USA since they didn't have a proper section anymore. Plenty of games are still NEW and all that crap on Gunstar Heroes isn't actually on the box but just the plastic wrap thank god.
All the games are in mint/brand new condition, besides Circle of the Moon which has the box in goodish conditions and my Zelda oracle of ages' box is all busted thanks to a glass of water and my friend's butter hands :/
Also I had my copy of Mother 3 stolen
FUCK YOU, YOU PIECE OF CRAP

BEPTL4DCQAIwkSF.jpg:medium

bigger click on it said:

I'm missing just 6 or 7 games I really want. And 4 of them (Mario Advance 4, Minish Cap, Contra and FFTA) I had before and sold them, damn.
What do you guys think about the titles I've got?

Finally grabbed a Game Boy Micro while I was in Fukuoka last weekend. Been dying to own one of these. I haven't owned a system capable of playing GBA stuff since I bought a DSi at the JP launch.

Also some games I grabbed with it:

Teknoman

Read and reply if you have anything to say about the reviews, the GB deserves more attention. :)

Been going back and forth between threads, but now I want to give FF adventure a shot. Already snagged Gargoyle's Quest...which actually has a surprisingly cool overworld theme. Not sure if I want to go handheld or SGB/GBP yet though (i've got access to both, just havent decided on whats best for me atm).

Teknoman

On the repro tip, ocdreproductions just restocked on mother 3. I guess gaf is ok with repros since they've been seen in the pick up thread. They seem to be pretty hq repros looking at nintendoage forums.

plc268

On the repro tip, ocdreproductions just restocked on mother 3. I guess gaf is ok with repros since they've been seen in the pick up thread. They seem to be pretty hq repros looking at nintendoage forums.

It's probably just a EZ flash 3 in 1 flashed to Mother 3 and fitted in a normal cart.

I might be interested if they get new pcbs done, though. They seem to be vague on their site about what it actually is though.

-KRS-

Yes I much prefer the rectangular shape of the Japanese boxes over the square ones we got. And the artwork seems better as well on a lot of them. Especially Minish Cap. The Japanese box is beautiful while ours is just Link slapped on the front with a white background...

I guess they wanted the western boxes to resemble the western GB/GBC boxes in shape, but there's no excuse for shittier artwork other than laziness.

BTW, I just remembered that I haven't posted a photo of my GB collection yet even though I said I would... I got sick after I said that though so I've been out of it for a while. I'll try to do something today or tomorrow.

womp

A few pics of some of my collection...Things I have owned first hand over the years. Outside the Japanese carts (which a buddy of mine hooked me up with), this is all stuff I have owned since 1989 when Gameboy launched. It irritates me because I am still missing some of my GB/GBA carts from when I moved with my wife 10 years ago - including my old Link's Awakening, which really depresses me. :(

12+-+3

12+-+1

12+-+8

12+-+1

My old LCD's. 30 years later and still ticking! I used to play the hell out of these at the bus stop, years before Gameboy. :)

12+-+6

Chinner

Banned
playing through MGS:GB right now and its pretty own. little disappointed that i no longer have the box for it though :( i'd actually buy the box + manual if i could just for completionist sake.

Wolfe

playing through MGS:GB right now and its pretty own. little disappointed that i no longer have the box for it though :( i'd actually buy the box + manual if i could just for completionist sake.

I still hold the opinion that that is the best GB game I've played, bummed that I don't have a copy anymore (and the last used one I bought ended up being returned due tue cart damage that prevented playing).

Grief.exe

So I was checking around at my house and it seems that I have both Oracle of Ages and Link's Awakening DX with box and manuals.

What are they worth?

Sushigod7

So I was checking around at my house and it seems that I have both Oracle of Ages and Link's Awakening DX with box and manuals.

What are they worth?

Boxes with manuals is going to get you some extra money especially with Oracle of Ages. Check the price tracker on the first page. Probably upwards of $40

Just found this thread which is awesome been doing some collecting of GBA and Gamecube games lately. Will post some pictures of today's pick ups later.

Boney

Banned
Finally grabbed a Game Boy Micro while I was in Fukuoka last weekend. Been dying to own one of these. I haven't owned a system capable of playing GBA stuff since I bought a DSi at the JP launch.

Also some games I grabbed with it:

ahhh

why do japanese boxes get to be so nice

Dammit. I think I've decided to start collecting GB/GBA. (This thread isn't helping much.) Unfortunately, my first order of businesses will be to rebuy most of the classics that I've sold over the years.

I need something to play on. I think I'm going to start with GBA and I've always wanted as Micro. Is it possible to find one in decent shape for under $75?

Also where do you guys get your imports? Is it more economical to get them on eBay or via proxy service?

Top Bottom