• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/WH Rumor: Microsoft dropping basically all Xbox One DRM, announcement today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

All this means is that every fanboy and journalists and asshole who tried to argue in favor of these policies looks doubly foolish because they wasted that time defending something now everyone admits was a mistake including Microsoft and for what? Did they get paid for those days of pathetic defense? I hope they did.

I agree with you entirely. The fact that MS was thinking in this direction is a huge negative against them to me, it says they have no problem fucking us. So I will never have them as my first console like I did last gen, they did lose that privilege. But a price drop or two later and after I see there's no chance they'll put the DRM back on? Sure.

Yep. Let's not pretend that MS has suddenly seen the error of its ways. They're only back pedalling now because it was becoming increasingly evident that XB1 would be DOA.

All this means is that every fanboy and journalists and asshole who tried to argue in favor of these policies looks doubly foolish because they wasted that time defending something now everyone admits was a mistake including Microsoft and for what? Did they get paid for those days of pathetic defense? I hope they did.

I agree with you entirely. The fact that MS was thinking in this direction is a huge negative against them to me, it says they have no problem fucking us. So I will never have them as my first console like I did last gen, they did lose that privilege. But a price drop or two later and after I see there's no chance they'll put the DRM back on? Sure.

My feelings exactly

RoKKeR

Listening to consumers and changing their policies because of it is considered out of touch?

Yes, because they had the opportunity to do this much, MUCH earlier on. Before the May 21st reveal. It also shows that all of the "innovation" and "advantages" that their used game and online DRM have was horse shit to begin with.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing for the console itself, but it shows that MS is malleable and clueless.

OddSockZA

Hi. I know this i a first post, and you'll all likely brush this off - but it's pretty damned late here where I am, and I just got a frantic phonecall from my Microsoft Pr guy saying he's just been in a meeting and confirmed all of this.

Expect a blogpost/video from Don Mattrick himself in about 50 minutes confirming it all.

I hope this is true, GiantBomb could take a huge hit in credibility if its false.

Well before E3 GB were saying they expected Sony to follow the exact same policies as MS and their sources were telling them that it was the big publishers pushing for DRM etc...

Not saying that they are wrong here, but just something to keep in mind.

Busaiku

Are people so spineless that they would actually buy an Xbone if they backtrack the DRM? Way to go GAF.

So if people are complaining about something and their complaints are heard and addressed, they should still ignore it?
I don't get it...

I mean, I'd never get one, but that's just me.
I was ignoring it before all the DRM.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
lol.... all of the sites reporting this now.... if MS doesn't do it... man does that sort of put them in an awkward position... though maybe no more awkward than if they do do it.

orioto

Good Art™
Keyser+Soze+_677614ad701b00455e85487a539ea2b3.gif

JaggedSac

Wow, this is pretty wild. All I cared about was not being able to rent games, and that is now resolved. Wonder what this means for their digital policies. I'm assuming no more family share. Very interesting turn of events.

Xun

I don't think I'd buy the thing even if they did do this.

The fact of the matter is they were going to, that and the arrogance Microsoft has been giving off as of late has turned me off them.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Mattrick has been such an asshole over all this, it would be amazing to see his weaseling about-face and damage control.

Karak

Because E3 didn't work. They thought they had a line-up of games good enough for people to just get over it. Not only did they not, but Sony through several curveballs with their price point and the way they actually addressed consumer concerns.

For launch, XBO was primed to bomb. When Jimmy Fallon is asking the other guys about their used games policy, it's time to engage Panic Mode.

Ya I mean. If they are going to do it. Do it now. They froze the gamestop preorders. It makes sense just do it now and move forward.
But I bet they had to speak with devs a SHITTON about it to make sure it fits with what is possible. I mean since all non MP games had to be playable for at least 23 hours. I expect things to say "better played online" on the box.

Eusis

This would have to go down as one of the weirdest moves in gaming history.
It's kind of a funny situation too: we can thank the internet's ability to spread information for making this happen so soon... yet they wouldn't even CONSIDER it if it weren't for the internet being in that state. It really is a double edged sword.
Are people so spineless that they would actually buy an Xbone if they backtrack the DRM? Way to go GAF.
Most of us just didn't want this sort of thing to catch on. Microsoft's forever tainted there in my eyes because I do expect them to try to press the issue again, though it may well be Sony and MS just do the same thing (let retail erode until all digitial/internet required to get games is the expected standard), but if nothing else at least I can get an X1 for exclusives later on without worrying about the games being unplayable because of server bullshit.

Calling bullshit until I see the one of the following:

1. A statement in Microsoft letterhead.
2. Microsoft PR kissing the earth they've salted.
3. Ballmer announcing this, with him coming out to The Rains of Castamere. Mattrick, Spencer and Nelson's heads on pikes optional.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
lol.... all of the sites reporting this now.... if MS doesn't do it... man does that sort of put them in an awkward position... though maybe no more awkward than if they do do it.
Hah, very true.

S1kkZ

they are fucked and will look like idiots, no matter what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom