• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA Consolizer: Gameboy Advance mod that turns your GBA into an HD HDMI console

dolabla

This thing looks badass. And it's zero lag.

D_SBy7qUwAAIKVv.jpg:large

D-uDis1XYAAjeTZ.jpg:large

Mod installation by Voultar:

TLZ

Banned
I'd buy one if there was a ready made one.

I'd use my GameCube Gameboy adaptor, but this is in HD. Also I can use the smoothing effect to hide the jaggies.

Last edited:
I saw the Metal Jesus video and was interested then I saw people say it was $175 or $180 in the comments and saw it only has a SNES controller slot.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Way too much. I'd rather have someone figure out how to improve the SNES GBA adapter to be 100% accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:

KOMANI

KOMANI

I'd use my GameCube Gameboy adaptor, but this is in HD. Also I can use the smoothing effect to hide the jaggies.
It’s funny, the gamecube gb adapter is able to output gb games to to a higher resolution if you mod it into the game boy interface. Source

Is there anything about being able to work with gb and gbc games too?

Edit: watched video. Yes. Yes it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
The generic piece of shit that just uses the SNES for power and has the composite cables coming out of the cart?

It'll never happen.
Of course retrobit is garbage. Still would be nice to have a cheap alternative to this that works just as good and doesn't involve murdering a gba.

Last edited by a moderator:

baphomet

Of course retrobit is garbage. Still would be nice to have a cheap alternative to this that works just as good and doesn't involve murdering a gba.

The original gba is more or less useless these days due to not having a backlight.

I have a box of probably 30 that are far too damaged to bother with fixing, and I stopped buying them years ago. The amount of garbage og gbas out there is massive.

Ok, so there is a chance they will start to produce these things premade. Fingers crossed.

Why not just have someone install it for you? It'll be cheaper and you'll get it significantly quicker.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
The original gba is more or less useless these days due to not having a backlight.

I have a box of probably 30 that are far too damaged to bother with fixing, and I stopped buying them years ago. The amount of garbage og gbas out there is massive.

Why not just have someone install it for you? It'll be cheaper and you'll get it significantly quicker.
Definitely an option. Or I can try to install it myself. Last video in the OP is a good tutorial on how.

radewagon

Not trying to prove you wrong or anything, but OG GBA's are starting to gain popularity as of late because of how (comparatively) easy it is to install an AGS 101 backlight mod. If any GBA is becoming worthless, it's really the frontlit GBA SP.

Last edited:

baphomet

Not trying to prove you wrong or anything, but OG GBA's are starting to gain popularity as of late because of how (comparatively) easy it is to install an AGS 101 backlight mod. If any GBA is becoming worthless, it's really the frontlit GBA SP.

They're definitely not. That's a miniscule fraction of people interested installing a backlit screen into an original gba. Most game stores won't even buy them these days.

dolabla

Ok, so there is a chance they will start to produce these things premade. Fingers crossed.

There is talk there is going be pre-made ones sold by (Jason) GameTechUS.

Edit: He is going to sell them. Already has a pre-order page up, but it's quite a bit ($349): https://www.game-tech.us/product/gbaconsolizer-full-case-fully-assembled/

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
There is talk there is going be pre-made ones sold by (Jason) GameTechUS.

Edit: He is going to sell them. Already has a pre-order page up, but it's quite a bit ($349): https://www.game-tech.us/product/gbaconsolizer-full-case-fully-assembled/

Yeesh. No that's too much for me. I was hoping in the 100s.

Those pixels on a 4k display are not going to look good.
Not too different to SNES mini. I'd you think it's too pixelated, switch smoothing or scanlines on. They help.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
The console itself, its kind of ugly.
250px-GameCube-Game-Boy-Player.jpg

It should be the Game Square Advance like Nintendo intended. Just gotta remove that top part of the GBA player and you got yourself a design complete with cartridge ejecting action. All it needs is a SNES controller port and video output on one of the sides.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

It should be the Game Square Advance like Nintendo intended. Just gotta remove that top part of the GBA player and you got yourself a design complete with cartridge ejecting action. All it needs is a SNES controller port and video output on one of the sides.
that is actually not super stupid

Aintitcool

Banned
Someone needs to build a retro console that can use AI to improve image quality without framerate loss.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's definitely not for everyone. It's more for people who want to play on original hardware (with zero lag) and in HD.

Yep. Exactly this. I hate the use of emulators as I would never get around to actually playing/finishing the game. By limiting myself to physical games, I have a much easier time actually finishing them. Plus there is just something far more fun in playing the game via using emulators (though I do wish that all games came with a fast forward feature).

dolabla

Yep. Exactly this. I hate the use of emulators as I would never get around to actually playing/finishing the game. By limiting myself to physical games, I have a much easier time actually finishing them. Plus there is just something far more fun in playing the game via using emulators (though I do wish that all games came with a fast forward feature).

Yep, I also enjoy going out to game shops, pawn shops, flea market, etc to try and find the real physical carts. There's a fun factor to all of it for me. There's just nothing like playing on the real thing. And with mods like these, it just breathes new life into these old consoles/handhelds. Or if you play an SNES or Genesis thru an OSSC, you're just amazed that this 30 year old console is putting out an image like this.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yep, I also enjoy going out to game shops, pawn shops, flea market, etc to try and find the real physical carts. There's a fun factor to all of it for me. There's just nothing like playing on the real thing. And with mods like these, it just breathes new life into these old consoles/handhelds. Or if you play an SNES or Genesis thru an OSSC, you're just amazed that this 30 year old console is putting out an image like this.

OSSC/Framemeister is what I would love to get some day, or just a quality Sony PVM. Bought a GBA Micro to play GBA games and the quality of that screen is absolutely AMAZING. Only downside is its awful sound output that basically requires you to have headphones.

dolabla

OSSC/Framemeister is what I would love to get some day, or just a quality Sony PVM. Bought a GBA Micro to play GBA games and the quality of that screen is absolutely AMAZING. Only downside is its awful sound output that basically requires you to have headphones.

Yeah, I love my OSSC and Framemeister. I just recently bought the OSSC and when you dial in the settings, you can get your console looking so sharp. It can just be a pain in the ass for tv compatibility, especially for the SNES. Framemeister doesn't have that issue. It works with any tv you throw at it. It's more plug & play. They both have their strong and weak points.

You know what, I've never even played a Micro before.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, I love my OSSC and Framemeister. I just recently bought the OSSC and when you dial in the settings, you can get your console looking so sharp. It can just be a pain in the ass for tv compatibility, especially for the SNES. Framemeister doesn't have that issue. It works with any tv you throw at it. It's more plug & play. They both have their strong and weak points.

You know what, I've never even played a Micro before.

Basically if the GBA Original has the best ergonomics, GBA SP has the best brightness, GBA Micro is the best of both worlds. Great ergonomics and the best screen of any of them, but the brightness isn't *quite* as good as the SP. It looks really sharp when you play games. The only downside is that it doesn't play GB or GBC games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

Solution to playing handheld games on the big screen. I understand why gamers would want to do this.

Top Bottom