• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GC Leipzig - Thread for Cheapskates, Loot Hunter and News Tidbits

Warm Machine said:
I'm in Leipzig right now! Tomorrow is the first day of the show for me! So excited.

PLEASE, get some info about the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed, maybe even find a working demo!

Try to get an interview if possible, and of course get the lowdown on WHY the (only?) demo's not working.

God I hope it has nothing to do with the game itself! *Shudders* :'(

If you can squeeze a couple of questions, ask about the differences between the Wii and PS2 versions, and if the Wii version runs in 60 frames per second without slowdowns!

If you can't, can anyone please?!

tegdf

It's been asked a couple of times in this thread, but what about Just Cause 2? It was supposed to be at E3 but wasn't, is it at GC? If not what the hell is up with the game?

Hammer24

Banned
I´m back from the show - thx for the ride everyone who helped to make this such an awesome experience!
Impressions:
- No one really bothered to calibrate the displays, and thats a bloody shame. Games we know from the videos to be buttersmooth just looked jaggerific, because contrast was way to high.
- Biggest WTF: the 9/11 installation. People made their way far around it to not get too close. What a shame.
- MS booth was pretty empty, compared to others. Well, made it easier for me to get my hands on all the games. And because the question got asked: I saw nothing of Lips and Halo Wars.
- Sony back to big mouthing of. Had a guy on stage who did Nintendo bashing for more than half an hour. Like they didn´t feel it necessary to even show up, would only cater to casuals... you read it on gAF, he said it. Crowd loved his rants.
- My personal game of the show: Sacred2. Played some SP and local coop. If you´ve been looking for a Diablo clone on consoles, look no further. This thing is an hour grave, lets just go and explore a little more... and the time flies by. Very nice control scheme (f.i. holding RT toggles from melee to magic attacks). Only difference I saw is that you can´t zoom the camera when in coop, then its a set iso perspective.
- My personal disappointment of the show: VP2. I really can´t tell the difference to the first one. Looks as nice as ever, but more like an addon.

I made three shitty cam movies. If anyone is interested I´ll upload them.

Hammer24

Banned
Oh, before I forget... I badgered the Atari guys with my disappointment with AitD.
They said, they would be hard working on a patch for the 360 version. Not all changes for the PS3 versions would be in it, but camera control would be fixed, monsters would die faster, and the game pauses when you go to the inventory. No timeframe, but they´ll try to make it available when the PS3 version hits stores.
Take this with a grain of salt - I got no idea if this is true, or if they just wanted to get rid of me... :D

Geek

Ninny Prancer
cjelly said:
So if Lips is on the show floor, has anyone got any videos or info? Cos I can't find anything.
Lips on the show floor is identical to what was shown at E3 from what I can tell. Sorry, no film crew. :\

eso76

a couple guys i know are claiming Bayonetta was like best of the show.
shown behind closed doors, they say it looks like dmc4 (but with much better graphics) and plays wonderfully.
But i'm sure those guys will post here soon enough : )

Blimblim

The Inside Track
eso76 said:
a couple guys i know are claiming Bayonetta was like best of the show.
shown behind closed doors, they say it looks like dmc4 (but with much better graphics) and plays wonderfully.
But i'm sure those guys will post here soon enough : )
How can they claim it plays wonderfully? The game was not playable by the press but demo'd by the producer. It certainly seemed to control well enough, and I don't doubt it will one second, but still.
And I strongly disagree on Bayonetta being the best game of the show, simply because it's for me DMC with a new skin and even more over the top stuff. Of course DMC fans will be in heaven, but I for one am not.

Quick thoughts... Playstation's presence at the show is huge. Sony's booth is pretty huge and they have some really nice stuff to show. Microsofts booth is pretty lame in comparison.

Can't believe how big the show is. Started off today in the main hall and then in building 2. I was thinking that Leipzig GC as a show was pathetic. Then found buildings 3 and 4 and began to think that it is at least on par with old E3 for booths and games. The scale here is excellent.

So far I'm impressed with Pure, Fracture, Red Faction, Tomb Raider, SF IV, HAWX, Mirrors Edge, and Stalker: Clear Skies. Fracture especially looks much better than it used to about a year ago and Pure feels really good where in videos it looks really floaty. I have loads of games yet to see. Velvet Assasin has some pretty cool stuff going on but it feels a little cheapish even though they have some great tech.

Best thing to have happened to me today was at the 4player.de booth which was having a Geometry Wars RE2 competition in Deadline mode on their massive screen. Top score was 2 million and the host was all talking in German on the microphone. He started saying other stuff in German and offered other people to play. He passed out a bunch of note cards to some players and I missed getting one. I went up to him and said, I don`t know what is going on but I`m Canadian, speak English, and can beat that score.

I waited in line, watched a bunch of players get average scores until one guy started playing and hit some good milestones and ended up with mid 8 million. That guy and I talked a bit about Geo Wars and he said that he is 30th in Sequence which blew me away. I finally got to play off the competition as a guest, had to introduce myself on the microphone as from Canada and one of the top Deadline players in the world. Piss afraid that I would choke, I got the controller, sat down and went to work. Nervous as all hell I didn`t play a great game but I beat the 8 million top score with around 10-11 million.

Anyway, great experience today overall. REALLY busy today though. It was a pain getting around at near 1:30pm. Have to show up early tomorrow and check out the Blizzard, Far Cry 2, and Fallout 3 theaters.

SappYoda

I'm back!!!!

Killzone 2! Little Big Planet! Resistance 2! OMG!!!

And I met Kojima there too!!!!

Seriously if you could go and you didn't there's no excuse.

eso76

Blimblim said:
How can they claim it plays wonderfully? The game was not playable by the press but demo'd by the producer. It certainly seemed to control well enough, and I don't doubt it will one second, but still.
And I strongly disagree on Bayonetta being the best game of the show, simply because it's for me DMC with a new skin and even more over the top stuff. Of course DMC fans will be in heaven, but I for one am not.

yeah, i meant it seemed to play wonderfully : )
Dmc with a new skin sounds good enough, certainly not groundbreaking, but you can at least confirm it looked good, right ?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
eso76 said:
yeah, i meant it seemed to play wonderfully : )
Dmc with a new skin sounds good enough, certainly not groundbreaking, but you can at least confirm it looked good, right ?
Yeah it looks good/great, but as DMC4 it's still using a flat lighting/shadowing that's starting to get old in my eyes. Awesome bosses at least.

duckroll

eso76 said:

I don't think it sounds good enough at all, especially not when it's supposed to "move the stagnant 3D action game genre forward after it has stayed still ever since I created it with DMC." *cough* :p

VicViper

Back as well. Amazing event, never been to Leipzig before.

My personal highlights were Little Big Planet (of course), Street Fighter IV (couldn't believe the smooth gameplay), Wipeout HD, Starcraft II, Fallout 3 (the "purified water" sure came in handy) and Video Games Live concert.

Too bad I arrived late on wednesday, so I kinda rushed to the Sony press conference (damn that Sony Germany guy sure was an ass) and didn't have time to look for other GAFers afterwards. I really wished I could've met some more people, hope you all had or still have fun in Leipzig!

itsgreen

Hmm Home was also at Leipzig

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/902/902322p1.html

GC 2008: Home Update
Don't worry: we're almost home.
by Ryan Clements
US, August 22, 2008 - Home. We've been waiting for it for quite some time now and some gamers were beginning to think it would never arrive at all. But here at the German Games Convention, Home did in fact make an appearance at the top of a stylish, multi-tiered patio structure built into Sony's booth. I had the pleasure of sitting down with Martijn Van der Meulen, a Producer on Home, to talk about what's going on with the free software that promises to revolutionize the way PS3 owners interact with one another online.

First and foremost, Van der Meulen told me (without hesitation) that it is a 100 percent guarantee that Home will be released by the end of this calendar year. He has absolutely no doubt that this will be the case, so it looks like the long wait to come Home is finally reaching its conclusion. Van der Meulen also assured me, quite adamantly, that Home will always be a free service -- only premium content will need to be purchased. I know some gamers were concerned that once Home reached a certain user base, a fee might be applied to the service, but this is not the case. Van der Meulen says that there are no plans to charge for Home, even in the far future.

With that out of the way, Van der Meulen walked me through the basics of Home and showed off the most recent build that's running the extended private Beta. Everything looks extremely polished and well designed. We started off in an apartment space, where Van der Meulen explained that everyone will get a free Harbor studio apartment when they first get into Home and better apartments can be acquired down the line. However, it's hard for me to imagine an apartment better than that one, as the highly pleasing aesthetics of the building, coupled with the incredibly gorgeous view, make me want that apartment in real life. One can dream.

Van der Meulen also walked me through the Wardrobe tool which allows you to create and customize your character in a variety of ways, including simple things like clothing all the way down to the finest details. I was amazed at the level of control you have over character creation, because you can actually adjust sliders for things such as facial structure, skull width and other highly subtle attributes. Although several presets are including just in case you want to get right into the swing of things, gamers will have a lot of control over what sort of character they wish to create.

Van der Meulen said that items like clothing, furniture and other knickknacks can be unlocked and also rewarded through other external games. Games can communicate with Home, so if you beat, for example, God of War 3, maybe you'll unlock a Kratos t-shirt in Home to wear. These sorts of possibilities are definitely exciting because this gives developers another avenue to not only promote their products but give gamers a little bonus for playing their games.

Our next stop was the Home Square, a beautiful central area with trees, an open sky and several entertainment hotspots. From the Square, users will be able to access a bowling alley, theater, shopping mall and a monorail station. Again, everything in Home is looking really nice, especially for a totally free, downloadable service. I think my favorite aspect of the visuals is how everything is designed and meshes together into such a sleekly modern yet gentle space.

We also tried our hand at some pool and a few of the arcade machines. These worked really well and the arcade games are especially fun. Van der Meulen mentioned that players will be able to take arcade machines back into their private apartment so friends can play them without waiting around in line at the public venues. With so many spaces to worry about, some gamers were concerned that walking/running around through the world would take too much time, but you can warp anywhere you'd like using your virtual PSP, just by selecting the visual chip from the World Map. Just like the rest of the software, this interface is sharp and aesthetically pleasing.

The last area that Van der Meulen mentioned was the PlayStation Event Space, which some of you may have heard of before. In this space, Home users can watch live conference streams with other PS3 owners and even use the space as a way of communicating with developers. This, along with all the other spaces planned, should definitely add to Home's flavor.

I know some people are skeptical about the service, but I think Home has a lot of potential and could really personalize Sony's online service. I look forward to really getting into Home sometime this year.

eso76

duckroll said:
I don't think it sounds good enough at all, especially not when it's supposed to "move the stagnant 3D action game genre forward after it has stayed still ever since I created it with DMC." *cough* :p

i never knew it was supposed to do that : )
so maybe it's a matter of expectations, and to be honest i was expecting a bad dmc rip off from sega (didn't know platinum games was behind it). Knowing it at least looks like a good rip off is kinda relieving, and it's good with me, since it's probably my favourite genre, and i believe there's very few series which nailed 3d action right.
Of course i hope it has something peculiar (besides the girl's ass which i'm told looks delicious) that differentiates it from capcom's offering; but knowing those guys curriculum, i think it's assured.

VicViper

LOOT!!!

IMG_1298.jpg

carlosp

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Anyone see if the Playstation3 build of Far Cry 2 was at Leipzig???

yes and played pretty well. I looked more creespy then the 360 version but it also had more jaggies. Anyway the funny thing was there was a 360 which RROD while i was in the room :lol that was pretty funny. Otherwise both looked ok to. The jungle wasn't as deep as it looked in some bullshots. It was like 70%f uncharted jungle but the lighting and dynamic shadow system looked pretty kool but still not near to uncharted hehe

carlosp said:
yes and played pretty well. I looked more creespy then the 360 version but it also had more jaggies. Anyway the funny thing was there was a 360 which RROD while i was in the room :lol that was pretty funny. Otherwise both looked ok to. The jungle wasn't as deep as it looked in some bullshots. It was like 70%f uncharted jungle but the lighting and dynamic shadow system looked pretty kool but still not near to uncharted hehe

awesome! thanks friend!

AgentOtaku said:
awesome! thanks friend!

I played the PS3 Far Cry 2 and though it was awful. The fire button had a one second delay from press to fire. Running was sloppy, AI was awful, was completely directionless, and basically the whole build was a mess. I didn't play the other builds on show but came away very dissapointed.

Best looking game at the show I saw and played was Killzone 2. The thing looks amazing, plays great, intense as hell, and really fun. The demo there was LONG too. Never saw anyone get to the end of it.

Resistance 2's single player demo was pretty awful. Just had you going in with a group of AI soldiers firing at skinny freaks who just run straight toward you. Didn't look great and it played really average.

Little Big Planet was fun. Played it with my wife and we both really enjoyed the physics based co-op gameplay in it. Not the nicest looking level on demo though and they do have shadow rendering errors in the background. Should be all fixed up. Overall it was great and with Killzone 2 it will get me to buy a PS3.

Socom Confrontation was a better playing game than I thought it would be and I would say it had the single best booth at the show. The monitors were in the ground underneath a camo netted bunker surrounded by sandbags. To play you have to get belly down under the net, grab a controller and start owning dudes. Only thing that I didn't like was the way orders or communication was done. It essentially freezes you out of any movement. Would be better to put that one a hotbox system.

Mirror's Edge was good but very linear. Looked beautiful and the control scheme with jump and crouch on the left buttons was neat. I'm a little on the fence with the game. I need to see something not so linear if it is going to be based more around platforming.

Motor Storm Pacific Rift was fun and had the 2nd coolest booth at the show with its dirt floor and Monster Truck tires to sit on. It played well, looked good but Pure is the better game as of right now in all ways but crashing.

I saw Home on the top of the Sony booth and it didn't look as good as it does in screens. I think it is something you have to sit down with and soak up the atmosphere and get into the social side to appreciate. Saw Wipeout HD and it looked nice but it was a splitscreen 2 player demo I witnessed. Frame rate was great and the visuals were slick.

Crash Commando was fun and looked great. Something I think is worth getting. Beside Siren, which looked ok, was a GTA looking game. Didn't know what it was but it looked pretty good. Pretty silly of them to pack a bunch of games into a room with no titles above them. You had to see the title screens to know what you are looking at.

Banjo Kazooie was cool. Some platforming and some driving to get puzzle pieces. Looks good but the TV's at the Xbox booth were not dialed it so everything was coated with edge sharpening artifacts.

Tomb Raider played well but the Xbox version on show had a bug or something where the camera would perpetually zoom out until Laura was only a few pixels tall on screen. Visually it was one of the nicest games at the show.

Fable 2's three demos were each interesting. The Co-op drop in is excellent and fun but the combat feels a touch stiff. Does feel like the game is aiming for a wide net of players.

Warm Machine said:
Resistance 2's single player demo was pretty awful. Just had you going in with a group of AI soldiers firing at skinny freaks who just run straight toward you. Didn't look great and it played really average.

My friend Michael gave very similar impressions, it was his most disappointing game of the show.

carlosp

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
My friend Michael gave very similar impressions, it was his most disappointing game of the show.

did someone already mention that the game wasn't even running at real PS3s but DevKits? I mean Killzone looks already finished and has a feb. release date and Resi 2 does not run on real PS3s yet and has a Nov. release date :S

Warm Machine said:
Best looking game at the show I saw and played was Killzone 2. The thing looks amazing, plays great, intense as hell, and really fun. The demo there was LONG too. Never saw anyone get to the end of it.

:D

to be expected, especially after the first game and the viewing of screens and videos of r2. sony chose the wrong game to release this fall.

oh, and thanks for the impressions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
lol, yeah. We'll just have to wait and see what most people will be playing, R2 or KZ2.

KZ2 is going to be huge. It is linear but full of very tangible realistic feeling action and atmosphere. I compare it to a futuristic Call of Duty. Everything just feels and looks right and this coming from a guy who was playing with inverted controls, fighting them all the way. Lighting, effects, detail, everything was spot on.

If there is one thing that the Sony booth really boned however was that every one of their Bravia TV's there were on factory settings likely set to vivid which made all their games look worse than they really were. Best booth for displays was Sega. Sonic looked amazing on those glossy 52" Panasonic TVs. Sega went as far as to have a Panasonic rep there handing out flyers.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Warm Machine, it's a shame you saw Wipeout HD in split screen mode. In that mode, framerate drops to 30, whereas it's perfectly steady 60 when it's single player. Super smoothness of framerate is a big factor in that game's visuals.

carlosp

Banned
Warm Machine said:
[...]

If there is one thing that the Sony booth really boned however was that every one of their Bravia TV's there were on factory settings likely set to vivid which made all their games look worse than they really were. Best booth for displays was Sega. Sonic looked amazing on those glossy 52" Panasonic TVs. Sega went as far as to have a Panasonic rep there handing out flyers.

so true. That chick who bothered me to play Sonic was hot as well :D But sonic indeed looked incredible but the game play was in many aspects similar to Rivals. I really loved sonic rivals and for that reason i liked the gameplay but if you didn't like rivals, you will probably don't like unleashed either.

Barso

Banned
That was great warm,thanks.
I was looking rid of my 360 but sounds like I need it for the multi platform titls such as farcry2 and tomb raider. Pity because I hate that bloody machine and its makers.

Opus Angelorum said:

They said the demo was the same at E3. Even one month before E3 we saw footage in June that didn't look as good. JTS said they're working on the game rather than a demo. I still have plenty of faith in the game and more importantly Insomniac.

Good impressions from KZ2 and LBP though. Those are my two most wanted games, so that works for me.

Top Bottom