• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GCN x Wii: A Catalogue Comparison.

This discussion comes often, especially in lists or compilations for these 2 platforms. Popular opinion (from what i can tell) tends to favor the GameCube library over the Wii one and that answer is given in a very clear cut out way. But maybe is not as clear as many think.

PLEASE READ: This is not a complete list, not even a compilation of the best games.The reasoning behind including a game in the list is reduced to several factors, among them popularity, critical acclaim, cult following or just the game been interesting in relation to the rest in the same category.

About the format: The comparison is divided by groups. Each group is composed of a set of pictures arranged in typical matrix format, rows are denoted by numbers and colums by letters. Letters (A, B, C) correspond to Wii entries and (D, E, F) to GameCube ones. Pictures are followed by the game titles. Names bolded and underlined always correspond to GameCube entries.

GROUP 1
platformers_resized10slh.jpg

1A. Epic Mickey 1B. Klonoa 1C. Mario Galaxy 1D. Sphynx and the Cursed Mommy 1E. Tak and the Power of Juju 1F. Rayman Hoodlum Havok
2A. Mario Galaxy 2 2B. Super Paper Mario 2C. New Super Mario Bros 2D. Luigi's Mansion 2E. Billy Hatcher 2F. Bomberman Jetters
3A. Kirby Epic Jarn 3B. Kirby Return to Dreamland 3C. Kirby Dream Collection 3D. Sonic Adventure 2 3E. Sonic Heroes 3F. I NInja
4A. Sonic and the Secret Rings 4B. Sonic Colors 4C. Rayman Origins 4D. Mario Sunshine 4E. Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat 4F. Pacman World.
5A. A Shadow's Tales 5B. Kore Gang 5C. Spectrobes
6A. Dewy's Adventure 6B. Donkey Kong Contry Returns 6C. Elebits
7A. A boy and his Blob 7B. Nights: Jourbey to Dreams 7C. Ivy the Kiwi
8A. Mushroon Men

GROUP 1 Notes: The 2 Galaxy games are considered by many to be among the best games of the 7th generation consoles. Also at the end of Wii’s life we saw Nintendo reviving the 2D side scroller platformer something that continues to this day. On the GameCube side of things the most notable platformer is Mario Sunshine.

GROUP 2
action_adventure1_resrssut.jpg

1A. No More Heroes 1B. No More Hereos 2 1C. Mad World 1D. Second Sight 1E. Killer 7 1F. Eternal Darknes
2A. Deadly Creatures 2B.Zenki no Reginleiv 2C. Splinter Cell:DA 2D. Tru Crime Streets of LA 2E. Hitman 2 2F. Metal Gear: TS
3A. Mini Ninjas 3B. Sengoku Basara Heroes 3C. One Piece Unlimited Cruise 3D. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time 3E. PoP: Warriot Within 3F. PoP: Two Thrones
4A. Ghost Busters 4B. Man Hunt 2 4C. Bully 4D. Freedom Fighters 4E. Tomb Raider Legend 4F. Lord of the Rings
5A. Other M 5B. Metroid Prime: Corruption 5C. Metroid Prime: Trilogy 5D. Splinter Cell 5E. Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow 5F. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
6A. Distater: Day of Crisis 6B. Sky Crawilers: Innocent Aces 6C. Soul Calibur Legends 6D. Splinter Cell:DA 6E. Metroid Prime: Echoes 6F. Metroid Prime
7A. Pandora's Tower 7B. Onechanbara 7C. Star Wars: Force Unleashed 7D. RE: Zero 7E. RE: Remake 7F. Resident Evil 4
8A. Prince of Persia: Forggoten Sands 8B. Toms Raider: Anniversary 8C. Force Unleashed 2 8D. Viewtiful Joe 8E. Viewtiful Joe 2 8F. Hulk

action_adventure2_cro1asce.jpg

9A. Samurai Warriors 3 9B. Tenchu: Shadow Assassins 9C. Captain Rainbow 9D. Chibi Robo 9E. Gotcha Force 9F. Alien Hominid
10A. Scar Face 10B. The GodFather: Black Hand 10C. Geometry Wars 10D. Star Fox Adventures 10E. Custom Robo 10F. Wario World
11A. Wario Land Shake It 11B. Spider Man 3 11C. Batman: The Brave and the Bold 11D. Simpson's Hit and Run 11E. Spiderman The Movie 11F. Megaman Anniversary
12A. Silent Hill Shatered Memories 12B. Project Zero 2 12C. Projecto Zero Tsukihami no Kamen 12D.Xmen Legends 12E. Buffy Vampire Slayer Chaos Bleeds 12F. Psi Ops
13A. Cursed Mountain 13C. Fragile Dreams

GROUP 2 Notes: The GameCube at the end of it’s life got the last great step in the action genre with RE 4. Note worthy here is the suspense/horror type games that graced the Wii, 2 Project Zeros and probably the last competent Silent Hill game.

GROUP 3
shootinggames_resizedgbsbk.jpg

1A. Golden Eye 1B. CoD: World at War 1C. CoD: Black Ops 1D. Time Splitters 2 1E. Time Splitters 3 1F. James Bond: Night Fire
2A. Red Steel 2B. Red Steel 2 2C. Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 2D. Geist 2E. XIII 2F. King Kong
3A. CoD: Modern Reflex 3B. The Conduit 3C. The Conduit 2 3D. P.N. 3 3E. Everything or Nothing 3F. From Russia with Love
4A. 4B. Castle Shikigami 4C. Metal Slug Anthology 4D. Rebel Strike 4E. Rogue Leader 4F. Star Fox Assault
5A. Sin & Punishment 2 5B. Dead Space Extraction 5C. RE: Dark Side Chronicles 5D. CoD: Big Red One 5E. Medal of Honor Frontline 5F. CoD: Finest hour
6A. House of the Dead Overkill 6B. House of the Dead 2/3 6C. Gunblade 6D. Jedi Knight Outcast 6E. Red Faction 2 6F. Turok Evolution
7A. RE: Umbrella Chronicles 7B. Ghost Squads 7C. Link Crossbow 7D. Dead to Rights 7E. Ghost Recon 7F. Conflict Desert Strom
8D. Metal Arms 8E. Ikaruga 8F. Robotech Battle Cry

GROUP 3 Notes: The Wii facilitated a very brief resurgence for the on rail shooter genre having some of the best games of this type. It also has the best input method for aiming but it’s weak hardware prevented the platform to realize it’s full potential.

GROUP 4
fightinggames_croppedfms9j.jpg

1A. Tatsunoko vs Capcom 1B. Smash Brawl 1C. Castlevania Judgement 1D. Smash Melee 1E. Soul Calibur 2 1F. SNK vs Capcom E
2A. Mortal Kombat Armaggedon 2B. Bleach Shattered Blade 2C. Dragon Ball Tenkaichi 3 2D. Bloody Roar 2E. Mortal Kombat Deadly Allience 2F. Deaf Jam New York
3A. Guilty Gear Accent Core 3B. Naruto Clash Revolution 3C. Dragon Ball Tenkaichi 2 3D. One Piece Grand Adventure 3E. Naruto Clash 3F. Battle Stadium Don
4D. Day of Recokning 4E. Ultimate Muscle Legends 4F. Godzilla Destroy all Monsters
5D. Day of Recockning 2 5E. Dragon Ball Z Budokai 5F. Wrestlimania XIX

GROUP 4 Notes: Both platforms are weak in this group. Soul Calibur 2 is among the best fighters of the 6th generation. Smash Bros Melee is considered the best of the series. Anime and Wrestling games cap what is without a doubt a pretty underwhelming showing.

GROUP 5
rpg_adv_strat_1_resizxmsn1.jpg

rpg_adv_strat_2_croppk4s4r.jpg

1A. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn 1B. The Last Story 1C. Xenoblade 1D. Skies of Arcadia 1E. Phantasy Star O 1F. Lost Kingdoms
2A. Okami 2B. Muramasa 2C. Shiren the Wanderer 2D. Tales of Symphonia 2E. Crystal Chronicles 2F. 4 Swords Adventures
3A. Chocobo's Mistery Dungeon 3B. Rune Factory Frontier 3C. Arc Fantasia 3D. Pokemon Gale of Darkness 3E. Paper Mario 1000 Year Door 3F. Beyond Good & Evil
4A. Baroque 4B. Twilight Princess 4C. Skyward Sword 4D. Lost Kingdoms 2 4E. Baten Kaitos 4F. Baten Kaitos Origins
5A. Tales: Dawn of New World 5B. Dragon Quest Swords 5C. Opoona 5D. Wind Waker 5E. Twilight Princess 5F. Baldur's Gate: Dark Allience
6A. Sakura Wars 6B. FF: Crystal Bearers 6C. Monster Hunter Tri 6D. GiftPia 6E. Gauntlet Dark Legacy 6F. Megaman Network Transmission
7A. Phantom Brave 7B. Dokapon Kingdom 7C. Dragon Quest X 7D. Pikmin 7E. Pikmin 2 7F. Advance Wars
8A. Little King Story 8B. Dawn of Discovery 8C. Advance Wars 2 8D. Tactis Uprising 8E. Spartan Total Warrior 8F. Gladius
9A. Overlord 9B. Tales of Graces 9D. Doshin 9E. Fire Enblem: Path of Radience 9F. Harvest Moon Wonderful Life

GROUP 5 Notes: Both consoles have unique entries in the Zelda series while been bonded by Twilight Princess, Wii version seems the most feature rich. Xenoblade Chronicles is considered one of the last great JRPG’s of the past years.

GROUP 6
racing_cropped_resize4isxl.jpg

1A. Mario Kart 1B. Donkey Kong Barrel Blast 1C. Excite Truck 1D. Kirby's Air Ride 1E. Mario Kart Double Dash 1F. Wave Race
2A. Need for Speed Nitro 2B. Driver San Francsico 2C. Trackmania 2D. Need for Speed Underground 2 2E. Auto Modelista 2F. R: Racing Evolution
3A. Ecxite Bots 3B. Dirt 2 3C. Atv vs MX 3D. F Zero GX 3E. Extreme G 3 3F. Burn Out 2

GROUP 6 Notes: Another anemic category for both consoles, with the note worthy entries been arcade type racers while simulation ones are practically absent. GameCube gets the most serious ones thanks to 3rd party support.

GROUP 7
misc_1_resizedahstn.jpg

1A. Wii Sports Resort 1B. Wii Play 1C. Wii Play Motion 1D. Super Monkey Ball 1 1E. Super Monkey Ball 2 1F. Cubivore
2A. Wario Ware Smooth Moves 2B. Kiki Trick 2C. Big Brain Academy 2D. Wario Ware Mega Party Games 2E. Donkey Konga 2F. Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix
3A. Endless Ocean 3B. Endless Ocean 2 3C. Rayman Raving Rabbids 3D. Donkey Konga 2 3E. 3F. Pacman Vs
4A. Fishing Resort 4B. Go Vacation 4C. Anima Crossing City Folk 4D. Kururin Squah 4E. Go Go Hyper Grind 4F. Pokemon Channel
5A. Pokepark 1: Pikachu's Adventure 5B. Pokepark 2: Wonders Beyond 5C. Pokemon Battle Revolution 5D. Animal Crossing 5E. Odama 5F. The Sims
6A. Boom Blox 6B. Boom Blox Bash Party 6C. Kororinpa 6E. Pokemon Colloseum 6E Pokemon Box 6F. Mario Party 4
7A. Fling Smash 7B. Wii Party U 7C. Wii Music 7D. Mario Party 5 7E. MArio PArty 6 7F. Mario Party 7
8A. Rhythm Heaven Fever 8B. Let's Tap 8C. Rock Band Beattles

misc_2_cropped_resizedysyi.jpg

9A. Rabbids Go Home 9B. Guilty PArty 9C. Just Dance 3
10A. The Sims Cast Away 10B. The Munchables 10C. Just Dance 3
11A. Mario Party 8 11B. Mario Party 9 11C. Fortune Street
12A. The Blob 1/2 12B. Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz 12C. Mercury Meltdown Revolution

GROUP 7 Notes: This is composed of the types of games that served that Wii 100 million base and the influence is quite apparent here. Some of the best party games ever made have a home on the Wii.

GROUP 8
sports_cropped_resizehps3j.jpg

1A. Punch Out 1B. Victorious Boxers 1C. Wii Sports 1D. Mario Power Tennis 1E. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour 1F. Mario Superstar Baseball
2A. Mario Sports Mix 2B. Mario Strikers Charged 2C. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 2D. NHL 2K3 2E. MVP Baseball 2004 2F. NBA Street Vol. 2
3A. Tiger Woods PGA 10 3B. PES 2010 3C. Eyeshield 21: The Field's Greatest Warriors 3D. Beach Spikers 3E. NBA 2K2 3F. NBA Courtside
4A. EA Sports Active 4B. NBA Jam Wii 4C. Grand Slam Tennis 4D. Sega Soccer Slam 4E. 1080 Snowboarding 4F. SSX 3
5A. Shawn White Snowboarding 5B. SSX Blur 5C. G1 Jockey 5D. FIFA Soccer 2003 5E. Fight Night Round 2 5F. PGA 2003
6A. Mario Super Sluggers 6B. Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic 6C. Wii Chess 6D. Tony Hawk 4 6E. Madden 2004 6F. Agressive Inline
7A. Inazuna Eleven 7B. Wii Fit 7C. Wii Fit +

GROUP 8 Notes: This is a pretty similar case to what happens in group 6. The 3rd parties got most of the notable sports content in the GameCube, with said versions in between Xbox and PS2 in terms of features and visuals. On the flip side the Wii gets ground braking games thanks to its interface and input methods in titles like Grand Slam Tennis, Tiger Woods 2010, PES 2010 and Shawn White Snowboarding.

GROUP 9
traditionaladventure_pjs7t.jpg

1A. Secret Files Tungiska 1B. Zack & Wiki 1C. Sam & Max Beyond 1D. Broken Sword 1E. Another Code R
2A. Trauma Team 2B. Trauma Center 2nd Opinion 2C. Trauma Center New Blood 2D. Mistery Case Files 2E. Strong Bad

GROUP 9 Notes: The Wii platform propelled a renaissance of the classic adventure genre thanks to the Wii Remote. Some of the exclusive content here is of really high quality like Zak & Wiki to name one.

1ST PARTY
1stpartypublished_1_rdfsh6.jpg

1A. Donkey Kong Country Returns 1B. Wario Land Shake It 1C. Mario Galaxy 1D. Luigi's Mansion 1E. Mario Sunshine 1F. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
2A. Mario Galaxy 2 2B. Super Paper Mario 2C. New Super Mario Bros 2D. Chibi Robo 2E. Custom Robo 2F. Wario World
3A. Kirby's Epic Yarn 3B. Kirby's Return to Dream Land 3C. Kirby's Collection 3D. Eternal Darkness 3E. Metroid Prime Echoes 3F. Metroid Prime
4A. Captain Rainbow 4B. Wii Fit 4C. Wii Fit + 4D. Star Fox Adventures 4E. Crystal Chronicles 4F. Four Swords Adventures
5A. Other M 5B. Metroid Prime Corruption 5C. Metroid Prime Trilogy 5D. Wind Waker 5E. Twilight Princess 5F. Pokemon Gale of Darkness
6A. Disaster Day of Crisis 6B. Zangeki no Reingleiv 6C. Smash Brawl 6D. Giftpia 6E. Paper Mario 1000 Year Door 6F. Baten Kaitos
7A. Pandora's Tower 7B. Project Zero 2 7C. Project Zero Tsukihami no Kamen 7D. Baten Kaitos Origins 7E. Fire Emblem Path of Radiance 7F. Advance Wars
8A. Sin & Punishment 2 8B. Advance Wars 2 8C. Wii Party U 8D. Doshin the Giant 8E. Pikmin 8F. Pikmin 2

1stpartypublished_2_r3zsyf.jpg

9A. Link Crossbow Training 9B. Twilight Princess 9C. Skyward Sword 9D. Geist 9E. Rebel Strike 9F. Rogue Leader
10A. The Last History 10B. Xenoblade 10C. Animal Crossing City Folk 10D. Star Fox Assault 10E. 1080 Snowboarding 10F. NBA Courtside
11A. Mario Kart 11B. Donkey Kong Barel Blast 11C. Excite Truck 11D. Smash Melee 11E. Fzero GX 11F. Ware Race Blue Strom
12A. Excite Bots 12B. Endless Ocean 12C. Endless Ocean 2 12D. Kirby's Air Ride 12E. Mario Kart Double Dash 12F. Pac Man Vs
13A. Wii SPorts Resort 13B. Wii Play 13C. Wii Play Motion 13D. Donkey Konga 13E. Donkey Konga 2 13F. Cubivore
14A. Wario Ware Smooth Moves 14B. Kiki Trick 14C. Brain Academy Wii Degree 14D. Wario Ware Mega Party Games 14E. Kuruin Clash 14F. Odama
15A. Pokepark 1 15B. Pokepark 2 15C. Pokemon Battle Revolution 15D. Dance Dance Mario Mix 15E. Animal Crossing 15F. Pokemon Channel
16A. Flyng Smash 16B. Rhythm Heaven Fever 16C. Wii Music 16D. Mario Power Tennis 16E. Mario Golf oadstool Tour 16F. Mario Super Star Baseball

1stpartypublished_3_cx6spa.jpg

17A. Mario Party 8 17B. Mario Party 9 17C. Fortune Street 17D. Pokemon Stadium 17E. Pokemon Box 17F. Mario Party 4
18A. Punch Out 18B. Wii Sports 18C. Eye Shield 21 18D. Mario Party 5 18E. Mario Party 6 18F. Mario Party 7
19A. Mario Sports Mix 19B. Mario Strikers Charged 19C. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
20A. Mario Super Sluggers 20B. Mario & Sonic at the Winter Games 20C. Wii Chess
21B. Another Code R

IMPORTANT THINGS TO CONSIDER.

Ports: Paramount is the fact that Wii got ports of the most important GameCube games, in the way of enhanced games due to the Wii Remote. The ports refined these games to make of them the best playable versions available. Some highlights: Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Pikmin 1 & 2, Resident Evil 4, Chibi Robo, Mario Tennis.

Wiiware:
wiiware_cropped_resizewsqx.jpg

1A. Magic Obelisk 1B. Fluidity 1C. Lost Winds 1/2 1D. La Mulana 1E. My Life as a King 1F. Nyx Quest
2A. Maboshi's Arcade 2B. World of Goo 2C. Art of Balance 2D. Secret of Monkey Island 2E. Art Style Series 2F. Castlevania Rebirth
3A. Excite Bike World Rally 3B. Dr. Mario Online RX 3C. Toki Tori 3D. You Me & the Cubes 3E. Onslaught 3F. Alien Crush
4A. Wild West Guns 4B. Tetris Party 4C. And Yet It Moves 4D. Cave Story 4E. Moto Heroes 4F. Liight
Wiiware gives users access to a vast amount of DD content, indie games as well as Virtual Console classics. Extending dramatically the variety of games in the Wii’s line up.

images

GBA Player: On the GameCube side and to some what compensate for WiiWare and it’s virtual console we had this device. It basically let’s the user enjoy their GBA library on the console, allowing access for plenty of quality games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Holy shit. That is a real-ass OP. Definitely going to pore over it more in-depth, but nice work.

Fwiw: I thought the Wii had a bigger selection of good games, but the quality of the good games on the GameCube was higher.

TheZjman

Banned
I have no idea what is going on in the OP but i assume the point is, that the Wii has the better library. I agree.

Seems like you may have forgotten Super Mario Strikers (Mario Smash Football) in group 8.

Otherwise: that's an impressive OP.

Nicktendo86

I tip my hat to you op, masterful post. And yes, Wii had the much better library although I love the GameCube.
Edit: NGC was trademarked if I remember correctly or was a games website so Nintendo used GCN.

Danny Dudekisser

I tip my hat to you op, masterful post. And yes, Wii had the much better library although I love the GameCube.
Edit: NGC was trademarked if I remember correctly or was a games website so Nintendo used GCN.

Also, Mike Jones had a song where he said "Gamecube Nintendo," so I think that makes it official.

Makes me wish all those GC titles would work on WiiU's or atleast Rouge Squadron and Viewtiful Joe 1&2 & Sin & Punishment 1 could be bought as downloadables. Still there are tons of great Wii games still to play.

MisterHero

Uh I have to look through the list more thoroughly, but wouldn't the groups be better labeled as genres?

I prefer the Wii's library BY FAR but can't help missing ones like F-Zero and Waverace. Nintendo's output is massive in retrospect. It could've used some rounding out though.

Who?!
just kidding :p

MIKE JOOONNNEEES!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywho, 3 games that made love my GC to death.

1. Soul Calibur 2
2. Naruto gekkitou taisen
3. RE4

Games I don't like to admit I liked.
1. Starfox Adventures

And I liked the controller.

I've never understood the idea that the GameCube's library was better, unless you're just trying to rag on the Wii like so many do.

The Wii's output was far better, especially from Nintendo themselves. Plus it has upgraded versions of a lot of the Cube's best games, AND if it doesn't, it can play the Cube games anyway.

MisterHero

I've never understood the idea that the GameCube's library was better, unless you're just trying to rag on the Wii like so many do.

The Wii's output was far better, especially from Nintendo themselves. Plus it has upgraded versions of a lot of the Cube's best games, AND if it doesn't, it can play the Cube games anyway.
It had some fantastic 3rd Party games from Activision and Ubi-soft. It had EA Sports, Sega Sports, and even some Nintendo Sports. Timesplitters 2/3. Phantasy Star Online. WWE Day of Reckoning 1/2 were the best wrestling games and were exclusive.

Bolded: and that's what really matters ;P

for me, this argument basically boils down to F-Zero GX vs. Xenoblade. there are other good games on both platforms but those two just dwarf the competition. when I come back to these systems ten years later, they're probably the only ones I would still want to play.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
GC had neither MadWorld nor No More Heroes 1 (best game ending of all time), ergo, Wii is the winner in my book.

I'd take Soul Calibur 2 and the Prince of Persia titles over those games 24hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Hell, Baldur's Gate DA alliance beats any third party Wii game.

OP, could I get you to do me a huge favor? Could you possibly take the list of games under each group and separate out a Wii and GCN list, each with a bold header? The grid layout makes it easy to look up an individual game but in terms of comparisons it'd be nice to be able to look at the two distinct lists for each category separately.

Fwiw: I thought the Wii had a bigger selection of good games, but the quality of the good games on the GameCube was higher.

See, I thought that for a long time, but upon consideration the Wii is home to a number of games that would easily crack my all-time great lists, whereas (putting Baten Kaitos Origins aside for a moment), I haven't even particularly missed GCN support since I moved across the country sans GCN controllers.

AniHawk

the wii's library definitely appealed to me more. i liked the gamecube plenty, but if i'm comparing the two libraries, nintendo's output on the wii was stronger and more consistently so, and the good third-party support was more unique on the wii and less me-too like the gamecube was (mostly out of necessity).

Proven

One nitpick, the 1D picture in the RPG group that's supposed to be Tales of Symphonia. It's actually another picture of Tales: Dawn of the New World.

rjc571

Banned
Lets not kid ourselves, the GC had some great games but the Wii's library outshines it in every possible way. And that's without even getting into the extensive Virtual Console and Wiiware libraries.

onipex

I loved the GC but for me the Wii tops it because I used it more. I just got more use and fun from the Wii. I also own more Wii games .

Psi-Ops and X-Men Legends pics are swapped. Also, The Last Story was labelled The Last Guardian (don't worry, we all understand). ETA: That's also Castle of Shikigami 3.

Anyhow, I love this thread. It's nice to see some recognition given to the respective libraries of each console here. I'm increasingly tired of the "The Gamecube/Wii was good only for collecting dust" meme.

I've already spent the day playing Metroid Prime Trilogy, but this is making want to call in sick tomorrow and spend the whole day going through my Gamecube and Wii collections.

Goddamn, I love Nintendo's systems.

The GameCube has Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2, Jedi Outcast, Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee, Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros Melee, and the GameBoy Player.

The fact that the Wii is incompatible with the GameBoy Player and you need the WiiMote to navigate the home menu to start GC games makes it inferior in my opinion.

I thought GC had a much better library, expecially if you were looking for local multiplayer. How was I supposed to play an awesome multiplayer fps on the Wii? By putting in a Timesplitters disc.

The only thing Wii had over it was Super Mario Galaxy.

Danny Dudekisser

I'm honestly pretty surprised how attitudes towards the Wii are changing. It's like now that the system is dead, people are finally starting to acknowledge that it had a really strong library when you look past the waggle. And that's cool.

The Wii had some great games, but when you do direct comparisons of games in a series the GC almost always wins out.

Monkey Ball series GC >>>>> Monkey Ball series Wii
Mario Kart DD >>>> Martio Kart Wii
SSBM >> SSBB
Resident Evil 4 >> Non existent wii entry
Wind Waker >> TP

EDIT: Thinking of more
Metroid Prime >>> Zero Mission
Animal Crossing GC >>> Animal Crossing Wii

Wii had its list of awesome exclusives (Mad World, NMH) but in a lot of ways I think Wii games suffered from laziness that kept that from being great. It's like developers knew their games would sell a ton of copies from soccer moms so why make awesome games.

Randomizer

Great OP, will look at it more in-depth later. At a glance they have similar outputs in most areas but overall the Wii had a more diverse range of games and a bigger library. Of course both have issues Wii had a shit ton of shovelware and both had weak third party support. They both have some of the best games of their generations. Quality over quantity has been the Nintendo mantra since the N64, excluding the DS which was quantity and quality in equal measures just like the Snes.

Seeing the catalogue laid out like that, my two takeaways are;
1) How many decent(ish) third party titles are there, despite the utter contempt shown by most publishers towards the Wii.
It's somewhat telling how a lot of those third party titles are from the very early years of the Wiis lifespan though, particularly the western ones.

2) How disappointing Wiiware ended up being, again after the early promise of titles like World of Goo / My life as a King / Lost Winds

Can someone explain this to me? I have no idea what im looking at.

That's a hell of a lot of work for something completely incomprehensible.

Its not exactly rocket surgery fellas.

Its a grid of games in varying genres, one grid for each, with Wii titles on the left and GC titles on the right, with a text key below specifying each games title if you dont recognise it from the screenshot.

Top Bottom