• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC '10 Expectations

Garjon

gofreak said:
Most pressers are live streamed now, even not so big ones sometimes.

I don't think it was...think it was recorded though. But times have changed.

They seem to be doing the leaking themselves this time. Pre-emptive announcements to beat the leaks :p Socom 4 last week, a couple of press releases so far today, rumoured press release about Arc later today...
It is incredible, the vast majority of the 'leaks' have just been hubris and BS. Sony has certainly come a long way since last E3. Perhaps they've developed a system for catching the leaks quickly. Either that or they've been stepping up their ninja training.

Also, IIRC the Gamescom conference didn't even receive a stream and quite a lot of significant information was relayed there. Whatever it is, Sony is banking on it and want this to reach as many people as possible. In reality though, it would be wise to expect something along the lines of Microsoft's X10 and Nintendo's recent media summit.

I still don't believe those leaks last year were really leaks. The Last Guardian was definitely not a leak. Unless you think someone had been sitting on a direct feed of the trailer for 2 years and then decided to finally release it a few days before the conference. Sony's idea all along was to "leak" the old trailer to get hype going then reveal the new and improved extended version for their conference.

Garjon

I <3 Memes said:
I still don't believe those leaks last year were really leaks. The Last Guardian was definitely not a leak. Unless you think someone had been sitting on a direct feed of the trailer for 2 years and then decided to finally release it a few days before the conference. Sony's idea all along was to "leak" the old trailer to get hype going then reveal the new and improved extended version for their conference.
And the PSP Go? ;)

TLG probably was intentionally leaked, though the game looks brilliant anyway; not sure why they'd think it needed a before/after scenario.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A thought: at CES a SCE guy said they would be announcing 'soon' a line up of games, first and third party, that would be getting 3D support.

Today, Sony announced their TV products and strategy for 3D launching in June.

So tomorrow's conference might be a good timing to also announce the games strategy on 3D?

Debuting both of these things, Arc and 3D, would explain why the conference might be strategically important for Sony, and why they might want it broadcast etc.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Garjon said:
And the PSP Go? ;)

TLG probably was intentionally leaked, though the game looks brilliant anyway; not sure why they'd think it needed a before/after scenario.

TLG was definitely not intentionally leaked. Ueda was furious, because he worked hard to carefully prepare the E3 trailer and hoped to shock and wow audiences, only to have his glory stolen from him a few weeks earlier.

SamBishop

Banned
gofreak said:
A thought: at CES a SCE guy said they would be announcing 'soon' a line up of games, first and third party, that would be getting 3D support.

So tomorrow's conference might be a good timing to also announce the games strategy on 3D?

Debuting both of these things, Arc and 3D, would explain why the conference might be strategically important for Sony, and why they might want it broadcast etc.

HMMMMMM...

Dogenzaka said:
TLG was definitely not intentionally leaked. Ueda was furious, because he worked hard to carefully prepare the E3 trailer and hoped to shock and wow audiences, only to have his glory stolen from him a few weeks earlier.

That TLG trailer was the trailer people had seen 2 years earlier. It was the trailer that started the "Secret PS3 game" meme. So someone would have had to have sat on a direct feed of the trailer for 2 years. And then just happened to release it right before the E3 that TLG was going to be shown at. Where did they get the direct feed footage? Why did they sit on it for so long? How did they know that E3 was going to be the E3 that TLG was going to be unveiled at? It wasn't public knowledge that TLG was going to be shown.

Garjon

Dogenzaka said:
Either way I don't think it'll be happening this time. I still don't get how a trailer could just be leaked out like that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
CONFIRMED!

SamBishop has been confirming lots of ish. We should expect more than one or two motion control games tomorrow at their conference tomorrow too. :D

The hype is really freaking high, and unlike before, I am not going to bridle my expectations. I expect Sony to show up and show out. That's my GDC 10 Expectation. ^^

CamHostage

gofreak said:

Supposedly parts of Final Fantasy XIII were shown in 3D at that launch party last night. I don't know if that was just a pricktease though (like the FF VII trailer) since there's no great way of making the FMV video 3D and that would be one hell of a download (or a double-dip, which would be lame as well.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
CamHostage said:
Supposedly parts of Final Fantasy XIII were shown in 3D at that launch party last night. I don't know if that was just a pricktease though (like the FF VII trailer) since there's no great way of making the FMV video 3D and that would be one hell of a download (or a double-dip, which would be lame as well.)

That trailer I think was just from an ad they did to show in Japan before Avatar in the cinema. A once off for that context, not a tease of a 3D version of FFXIII, I don't think.

CamHostage

gofreak said:
That trailer I think was just from an ad they did to show in Japan before Avatar in the cinema. A once off for that context, not a tease of a 3D version of FFXIII, I don't think.

I don't think so either (and now would be a realbad time to announce it, given that the standard edition ships this week and there's no way I can see to release a "3D patch") but it wouldn't be impossible. Given that the game has been out for a while in Japan, that 3D is popular and becoming easier than ever, and that Square is not afraid to double-dip (in Japan at least,) it seems likely to me that it'll happen eventually.

But that's besides the point of what Sony will show at the event, I guess. So, never mind. I don't think Square will trot out that old 3D trailer yet again for a GDC showing when it's not even necessarily from any real version of the game.

SOLDIER

Man said:

So are you going to require a 3D TV in order to be able to view the games in 3D? Didn't they say something about it being compatible with certain LCDs or something? I'm pretty interested in an LED but not planning to trade up just yet.

iceatcs

SamBishop said:
HMMMMMM...
KILLLLLZONNNEEE

:p

Nah, but we know that there might be talk about 3d gaming in sometime future, but I wondering if there will be exclusive 3D game (ideal PSN only like PSEye games)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ugh, a 3D focus is so disappointing because it will be years before I will be able to use it. Damn. Show syphon filter or face my wrath.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Y2Kev said:
Ugh, a 3D focus is so disappointing because it will be years before I will be able to use it. Damn. Show syphon filter or face my wrath.

:lol Oh dear...I've a feeling this won't be a good show for Y2Kev :|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
gofreak said:
:lol Oh dear...I've a feeling this won't be a good show for Y2Kev :|
I am amassing my troops along the border preparing to cross into Butlerland.

Atrus

Gold Member
Has anything been said of 3D Little Big Planet? Was just watching the local news about Sony's new 3D TV's and one of the videos playing on the TV's was of sackboy. It might be a special 3D demo of LBP though since I don't recall the scene in the actual game.

Issun23

I <3 Memes said:
That TLG trailer was the trailer people had seen 2 years earlier. It was the trailer that started the "Secret PS3 game" meme. So someone would have had to have sat on a direct feed of the trailer for 2 years. And then just happened to release it right before the E3 that TLG was going to be shown at. Where did they get the direct feed footage? Why did they sit on it for so long? How did they know that E3 was going to be the E3 that TLG was going to be unveiled at? It wasn't public knowledge that TLG was going to be shown.

The same thing happened with Shadow of the Colossus though. Back in 2003 someone from SCEE decided that it would be a great idea to leak still images from the NICO pilot video. These videos are used at internal presentations so it's not unthinkable people somewhere have access to direct feed footage.

In early 2008, five minutes after I've posted on my blog that the careers page for Team ICO was updated with a still from the TRICO pilot, I received an email saying where the screenshot came from, how long the video was, where it was shown and some things about the game - everything matched with the actual leaked footage. The reason it never made it to the public for so long was because of the level of secrecy surrounding the game. Whoever gave the video away before E3 knew it would have been shown, so that begs the question who at Sony decided to do it?

Pistolero

gofreak said:

Not stupid. I just wanted to compliment you because you put much thought into your posts : Always interesting and well articulated. :D

iceatcs said:
KILLLLLZONNNEEE

:p

Nah, but we know that there might be talk about 3d gaming in sometime future, but I wondering if there will be exclusive 3D game (ideal PSN only like PSEye games)
That's the first thing I thought of, given all the rumors of Killzone 3 with Arc and 3D support.

I wonder if that's what he was alluding to, or if he was just semi-confirming there will be a focus on 3D and motion.

Sucks I'll be at work tomorrow during the conference. =/

Top Bottom