• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC 2019 Choice Awards Nominees.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gdconf.com/news/god-war-red-dead-redemption-2-lead-gdc-2019-choice-awards-nominees

BEST AUDIO

Celeste (Matt Makes Games)

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar Games)

God of War (Sony Santa Monica / Sony Interactive Entertainment)

Marvel's Spider-Man (Insomniac Games / Sony Interactive Entertainment)

Tetris Effect (Monstars and Resonair / Enhance)

Honorable Mentions: Beat Saber (Beat Games), Wandersong (Greg Lobanov / Humble Bundle), Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope / 3909), Battlefield V (EA DICE / Electronic Arts), Forza Horizon 4 (Playground Games and Turn 10 Studios / Microsoft Studios)

BEST DEBUT

Polyarc (Moss)

Mountains (Florence)

Nomada Studio (Gris)

Villa Gorilla (Yoku's Island Express)

Sabotage (The Messenger)

Honorable Mentions: Beat Games (Beat Saber), Digital Sun (Moonlighter), Two Point Studios (Two Point Hospital), Okomotive (Far: Lone Sails)

BEST DESIGN

Into the Breach (Subset Games)

Honorable Mentions: Frostpunk (11 bit studios), Minit (Kitty Calis, Jan Willem Nijman, Jukio Kallio & Dominik Johann / Devolver Digital), Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope / 3909), Astro Bot Rescue Mission (SIE Japan Studio / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Monster Hunter: World(Capcom)

BEST MOBILE GAME

Alto's Odyssey (Snowman)

Florence (Mountains / Annapurna Interactive)

Reigns: Game of Thrones (Nerial / Devolver Digital)

Holedown (Grapefrukt Games)

Donut County (Ben Esposito / Annapurna Interactive)

Honorable Mentions: Furistas Cat Cafe (Runaway), The Room: Old Sins (Fireproof Studios), Pocket Run Pool (Zach Gage), Alphabear 2 (Spry Fox), Twinfold (Kenny Sun)

INNOVATION AWARD

Nintendo Labo (Nintendo EPD / Nintendo)

Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope / 3909)

Honorable Mentions: Minit (Kitty Calis, Jan Willem Nijman, Jukio Kallio & Dominik Johann / Devolver Digital), Celeste (Matt Makes Games), God of War (Sony Santa Monica / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Astro Bot Rescue Mission (SIE Japan Studio / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Moss (Polyarc), A Way Out (Hazelight Studios / Electronic Arts)

BEST NARRATIVE

Florence (Mountains/Annapurna Interactive)

Honorable Mentions: Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft Quebec / Ubisoft), Detroit: Become Human (Quantic Dream / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Celeste (Matt Makes Games), Life is Strange 2 (Dontnod Entertainment / Square Enix), Where the Water Tastes Like Wine (Dim Bulb Games and Serenity Forge / Good Shepherd Entertainment)

BEST TECHNOLOGY

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft Quebec / Ubisoft)

Forza Horizon 4 (Turn 10 Studios and Playground Games / Microsoft Studios)

Honorable Mentions: Sea of Thieves (Rare / Microsoft Studios), Far Cry 5 (Ubisoft Montreal and Ubisoft Toronto / Ubisoft), Battlefield V (EA DICE / Electronic Arts), Detroit: Become Human(Quantic Dream / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Return of the Obra Dinn (Lucas Pope / 3909)

BEST VISUAL ART

Gris (Nomada Studio / Devolver Digital)

Honorable Mentions: Battlefield V (EA DICE / Electronic Arts), Tetris Effect (Monstars and Resonair / Enhance), Dragon Ball FighterZ (Arc System Works / Bandai Namco Entertainment), Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft Quebec / Ubisoft), Below (Capybara Games)

BEST VR/AR GAME

Budget Cuts (Neat Corporation)

Beat Saber (Beat Games)

Moss (Polyarc)

Astro Bot Rescue Mission (SIE Japan Studio / Sony Interactive Entertainment)

Honorable Mentions: Jurassic World Alive (Ludia), In Death (Sólfar Studios), Tendar (Tender Claws), Firewall Zero Hour (First Contact Entertainment / Sony Interactive Entertainment), Deracine (FromSoftware / Sony Interactive Entertainment)

GAME OF THE YEAR

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
INNOVATION AWARD

Nintendo Labo (Nintendo EPD / Nintendo)

Only bit I kind of disagree with... RDR2 is a kick ass game, but does it belong in this “innovation” award category with the other titles? Especially with Astrobot in the runner up list... mmh...

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm surprised Spider-Man features so highly to be honest. I held off buying it until recently but after ten minutes of opening it, I felt it was like a mobile game from the upgrades screen which nearly tore your eyes out. It was basically a 101 of everything that has been moaned about in the last five years from Ubisoft. Towers, repetitive side missions and insufferable collectibles everywhere (even Tomb Raider had less!). The swinging was pretty decent but did also have it's janky 'infamous' moments. The combat wasn't as good as Arkham but I felt had better animation.

I mean it's not a poor game but it does get an enormous amount of passes just because it's a popular licensed IP I think. Also agree with P Panajev2001a about RDR2. As I've said before I think this is the year of the 'nearly game'. We have a number of high quality games clearly out in front, but all seem to have fundamental or underlying issues to core mechanics and delivery. I think GoW will take most as transition to a new style is more daring and they did really well and it's something of note. Rockstar should be doing better as this is the only style of game they churn out. Insomniac have the crutch of a popular IP which creates a bit of a blind spot. Never have the top three places looked more like 'gimmees' though. I do think the more interesting choices this year will be in that secondary tier of 5-15

KonradLaw

Far Cry 5 getting overlooked in best audio departament by all award shows is pure travesty

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm surprised Spider-Man features so highly to be honest. I held off buying it until recently but after ten minutes of opening it, I felt it was like a mobile game from the upgrades screen which nearly tore your eyes out. It was basically a 101 of everything that has been moaned about in the last five years from Ubisoft. Towers, repetitive side missions and insufferable collectibles everywhere (even Tomb Raider had less!). The swinging was pretty decent but did also have it's janky 'infamous' moments. The combat wasn't as good as Arkham but I felt had better animation.

I mean it's not a poor game but it does get an enormous amount of passes just because it's a popular licensed IP I think. Also agree with P Panajev2001a about RDR2. As I've said before I think this is the year of the 'nearly game'. We have a number of high quality games clearly out in front, but all seem to have fundamental or underlying issues to core mechanics and delivery. I think GoW will take most as transition to a new style is more daring and they did really well and it's something of note. Rockstar should be doing better as this is the only style of game they churn out. Insomniac have the crutch of a popular IP which creates a bit of a blind spot. Never have the top three places looked more like 'gimmees' though. I do think the more interesting choices this year will be in that secondary tier of 5-15

I kind of see what you are saying about some open world tropes, it so found the combat and traversal to have so much “Spider-man” like feeling and variety to it that had a kind of transformative effect on those other elements and made them a lot more fun to me. I actually liked collecting backpacks in this game, not sure I would do something similar in others and the city finally felt alive, with dense enough traffic and pedestrians and detail.
Story and characters too would have fit in an MCU big screen movie and I think as a cohesive whole Spider-man package it is the best Spider-man game made so far.

nowhat

The combat wasn't as good as Arkham but I felt had better animation.
For me the thing was, although the combat may superficially resemble Arkham, it's not really that, and if you're going to play it like Arkham it doesn't work. The flow is completely different. But once I got into it (and unlocking more gadgets) it rocks. So much better than "see an indicator, press triangle/Y to counter".

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm not saying the games nominated don't deserve it, but it feels like they played a total of 12 different games and nominated those same 12 in various configurations.

manfestival

I think it is super cool that Into the breach got a nomination for design. It won't win but I am glad to see it getting recognition. Love that game

Top Bottom