• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC Awards 2016 - Witcher 3 wins GotY, Her Story wins IGF Grand Prize

http://www.gdconf.com/news/witcher_3_wins_game_of_the_yea.html

Best Debut
Moon Studios (Ori and the Blind Forest)

Best Audio
Crypt of the NecroDancer (Brace Yourself Games)

Innovation Award
Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Best Technology
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt RED)

Best Visual Art
Ori and the Blind Forest (Moon Studios)

Best Narrative
Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Best Design
Rocket League (Psyonix)

Best Handheld/Mobile Game
Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Audience Award
Life is Strange (DONTNOD Entertainment)

Game of the Year
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (CD Projekt RED)

Pioneer Award
Markus "Notch" Persson

Ambassador Award
Tracy Fullerton

Lifetime Achievement Award

Todd Howard

http://www.gdconf.com/news/her_story_takes_home_top_honor.html

Excellence in Narrative ($3,000)
Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Excellence in Audio ($3,000)
Mini Metro (Dinosaur Polo Club)

Excellence in Design ($3,000)
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (Steel Crate Games)

Excellence in Visual Art ($3,000)

Oxenfree (Night School Studio)

ID@Xbox Rising Star Award
(Girls Make Games - The Hole Story)

Nuovo Award ($5,000)
Cibele (Star Maid Games)

Best Student Game ($3,000)
Beglitched (Jennifer Jiao Hsia and Alec Thomson)

Audience Award ($3,000)

Undertale (Toby Fox)

Seumas McNally Grand Prize ($30,000)

Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Congrats to The Witcher. While I didn't like the game very much I still believe it deserves all the praise and awards.

Also, I'm kind of happy this is probably the last award show for 2015 games so 'Bloodborne was Robbed' can finally die. ...Eh, who am I kidding, 2016 will be the year of "Dark Souls III was robbed"

Walpurgis

Banned
The Witcher 3 was indisputably the greatest game of the year so this is well deserved. And from a developer's perspective it was even better with its unprecedented scope, world class technology and striking quality. Congratulations to CD Projekt RED for this incredible achievement.

Congrats to The Witcher. While I didn't like the game very much I still believe it deserves all the praise and awards.

Also, I'm kind of happy this is probably the last award show for 2015 games so 'Bloodborne was Robbed' can finally die. ...Eh, who am I kidding, 2016 will be the year of "Dark Souls III was robbed"

There's still the BAFTAs, though Bloodborne isn't nominated for GotY there.

Sparse

CVWkNsbVEAAunkO-2.png

(sorry, just wanted to use this. :p)

tauke

Congrats to Witcher 3 for winning the GOTY award!

I'm impressed to see the evolution from The Witcher to The Witcher 2 and finally The Witcher 3. There are like completely different game from each other.

can't we watch both IGF and GDC awards shows anywhere this year?

i only found one Twitch link but that has muted audio and it doesn't seem to work in general.

jett

D-Member
After playing Her Story I actually fell kinda disappointed after all the awards it has been getting. Ah wells. As far as story goes, I liked Soma's a great deal more.

manfestival

Bloodborne ROBBED!

hope they ban you for that like they banned everyone else.

I personally do not see the appeal in her story but it seemed to clean up the whole night in the indie portion and did well in the main portion.

Also there was way too much cringe while watching this live last night. Everyone just tried way too hard to be funny and making all of these awkward jokes.

Elandyll

Banned
I did try Her Story based on awards and Gaf recommendations... I'll be frank, even though I liked the "ideas" and the acting, I honestly don't thing it's a video game (much less so imo than a TellTale games, which are at times bordering themselves on interactive storytelling).

Her Story, again in my opinion, has pretty much nothing that makes it a videogame. At least not more than, say, sorting through clips of video rushes with key words in my video editing software (I am a video editor by trade).

faridmon

Love the fact that Her Story won so many awards. Great neat experiment that hopefully pave the way for more narrative focus games in FMV.

Daft Punk

Banned
Taking into account User awards it's 251 vs 249 in favor of TW3. Without User awards it's 191 vs. 164 in favor of TLoU.

This is actually pretty interesting and curious as to why no one has picked up on it. I'm assuming when you say User awards, you mean awards not given by actual media publications and such?

Vintage

Bought Her Story and played for a couple of hours. I'm not sure I understand it - is the whole game just typing random keywords trying to get new videos? Do I need to assemble the videos into big one? From what I played, none was interesting or fun. Am I missing something?

Top Bottom