• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gear Club Unlimited Announced For Switch

EDarkness

I enjoyed the Test Drive Unlimited games, so if this game is more in line with those games, then I'll be there day one. Doesn't look bad and I have faith that Eden Games can get this running pretty well. I wonder what they're going to change going from F2P mobile to home console port?

Would love some kinda sim racer for switch.

Unfortunately this probably isn't it. I'd take a port of the Wii U project cars. Gimmi something!!

Slightly Mad Studios?? Hello???

OmegaDL50

I enjoyed the Test Drive Unlimited games, so if this game is more in line with those games, then I'll be there day one. Doesn't look bad and I have faith that Eden Games can get this running pretty well. I wonder what they're going to change going from F2P mobile to home console port?

Considering this is going to have a physical disc copy release. I'd say some work is going into than just simply porting the mobile game to the Switch.

The fact they are going the lengths for a physical release would imply it's a more fully featured game over the F2P mobile version as they are making the point of it being a retail release rather than a simple eShop digital title.

DKPOWPOW

Looks good when does it come out? Fast Racing Neo and MK8 Deluxe are great, but sometimes I just wanna drive fast in regular cars lol. This looks like exactly what I need.

OmegaDL50

I'd like to know the differences from the original mobile release.

Hopefully the changes are significant enough to justify the game having a physical retail version.

man I hate the way Test Drive Unlimited cars handle but I think half if not most of that team went to Ivory Tower to create The Crew so who is left at Eden to create this mobile game now Switch port?

Here's my question...

How is GT still around? I thought they went kaput and the folks formed EZ Allies. IGN's logo is in the YT vid, did they buy the brand?

EDarkness

I'd like to know the differences from the original mobile release.

Hopefully the changes are significant enough to justify the game having a physical retail version.

I would, too. I think they have a forum on Reddit, I might post there to see if they can explain what's changed in this version compared to the mobile version. I hope they allow free driving like the Test Drive games.

man I hate the way Test Drive Unlimited cars handle but I think half if not most of that team went to Ivory Tower to create The Crew so who is left at Eden to create this mobile game now Switch port?

That's a good question. I'm just glad the studio survived after what happened with Test Drive Unlimited 2. I hope the guys who were in charge of gameplay elements left because that shitty license crap in TDU 2 sucked. I still put it into the 360 and drive around even now. I didn't mind the handling that much, but I do think the first game handled better.

Just when I thought I was out (of buying cheaply-made racing games for racing-game-starved systems), they pull me back in.

Excited for it, even though I'm afraid it won't be good. Mobile racing games tend to be pretty shallow.

CaVaYeRo

Pretty twitchy so far, almost "digital", unless you use motion controls. Acceleration better than expected without analogue triggers.

I heard the mobile game was bad, but I’m hoping the Switch version is good. Screens are ok.

I actually enjoyed the mobile version on the iPad - it is actually done pretty well. I’d say it is the best of these types of games that I’ve played on mobile, realizing that isn’t necessarily saying a whole lot. I found it much better than the Real Racing series at least.

If they make enough changes, I can see if being a competent racer on the Switch. They certainly didn’t have a bad base game to start from IMO.

Wiped89

As a racing games fan: this looks appalling. 32 cars. Awful graphics. Free to play mobile appearance, £45 pricetag.

No thanks.

I would love a sim racer (or arcade racer) on Switch. But a good one.

CaVaYeRo

For me it's more a matter of Ridge Racerism, if you know what I mean. If they nail drifting in the end, I may love that kind of gameplay on the go.

But I think they first need some serious tweaks to the analogue stick controls. Ridge Racer on the 3DS was a blast for me.

The impressions of some pubs have been positive on this one. And the F2P iPhone game has an 80/100 on Metacritic. May want to keep an eye on this one.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Do racing games on Switch have tilt steering like they do on mobile? Outside a real wheel or arcades, the best steering I've experienced has been in Real Racing 2 & 3. So much so I at the time set up my tablet to work like a steering wheel to play Grid with on my PC. It was great stuff for people who don't have the room or budget to get a decent wheel with. I should check to see how to do that with my new phone but the software I used was iOS only and is more or less defunct now too, I've seen a few such things on the play story but not much looks very professional.

Last edited:

guggnichso

Banned
Huh?

The cars are literally floating wtf?

Yep. It’s a total shitshow. Also, the hitboxes for cars are all wrong, often resulting in you spinning out even if you did not touch anything with your car (but your invisible hitbox did).

It’s a buggy, ugly, shitty mess, and I wish the eShop had some sort of refund possibility.

El_Belmondo

Yep. It’s a total shitshow. Also, the hitboxes for cars are all wrong, often resulting in you spinning out even if you did not touch anything with your car (but your invisible hitbox did).

It’s a buggy, ugly, shitty mess, and I wish the eShop had some sort of refund possibility.

And there were some people in my TL treating the game as the second coming.

I guess i'll limit myself to Grid Autosport for my portable racing fix

Shaqazooloo

That's tough to hear. I was looking forward to this.

Alexios

Wow, how did they fuck it up so badly? I don't remember the first game being like that at all! You'd think they'd just build off that, improve the graphics, add more/new stuff, change the progression etc.

Last edited:

adroit

I watched NintenDaan's video and didn't see anything like the videos above. Is it possible the game was modded to run like that, as someone's idea of a "joke"? Is it certain that's really Switch footage? Here's a link to NintenDaan's video. Let me know if anyone sees anything that bad about it (OK, the load times are a bit long).

Alexios

Looks nicer in that video yes, but frame rate is pretty bad it seems, watching the second race with the snowy track. I don't think that's even 30fps. We'll see the consensus later I guess.

I'd probably wait for V-Rally and Grid, see how they may turn out, if I had a Switch and wanted some traditional racing for it.

I guess I'll hold out a bit and find some reviews. So far I've only seen a few previews. I actually enjoyed the first one a lot, even with it's mobile underpinnings.

guggnichso

Banned
I watched NintenDaan's video and didn't see anything like the videos above. Is it possible the game was modded to run like that, as someone's idea of a "joke"? Is it certain that's really Switch footage? Here's a link to NintenDaan's video. Let me know if anyone sees anything that bad about it (OK, the load times are a bit long).

They were videos from my own switch.

Top Bottom