• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox confirms Borderlands 3 launches on September 13, 2019; Epic Games Store exclusive

Desudzer10

Xbox one collector editions are already sold out on Borderlands.com. I hope there aren't any scalpers, been waiting for this for too long.

bilderberg

Why would they be mad at Steam exactly? Valve does not believe in moneyhatting developers and locking you into just one store.

Because obviously Valve isn't doing anything to keep these games from going somewhere else. And they precisely believe in locking you into just one store, or most of their users do at least. It's like Valve gets nothing but good will from its users when ever these stories break, so what incentive is their for them to keep these games from going to epic's store? No one was patting Sony on the back for losing exclusives last gen, more like "wow sony y'all are really fucking it up." But because it's steam they keep looking more and more like the good guy in this scenario? People really need to start criticizing steam too if they actually don't want their games to go somewhere else.

Shifty

Because obviously Valve isn't doing anything to keep these games from going somewhere else. And they precisely believe in locking you into just one store, or most of their users do at least. It's like Valve gets nothing but good will from its users when ever these stories break, so what incentive is their for them to keep these games from going to epic's store? No one was patting Sony on the back for losing exclusives last gen, more like "wow sony y'all are really fucking it up." But because it's steam they keep looking more and more like the good guy in this scenario? People really need to start criticizing steam too if they actually don't want their games to go somewhere else.
tenor.gif

You're calling for people to get mad at Steam for not counter-moneyhatting to compete with Epic?

The whole reason people are getting mad in the first place is because they don't want to see the PC space turn into the shitty exclusive fight that is the console market. That would be a most counter-productive course of action.

And they precisely believe in locking you into just one store, or most of their users do at least.
And you're basing this on what?

Last edited:
You know damn well it is more about more than just politics.
My bad. Totally left out elitist attitudes and false sense of entitlement.

Man, console wars are something but the launcher wars has to be the most petty. At least with console you have the financial argument of spending $400 on another box. What was the problem with an alternate launcher? An additional icon? OH NOES!!!!!
LOL.

MMaRsu

Banned
Very adult of you. God you people are pathetic.

Really? I'll buy it once it's on a legitimate platform that doesn't try to force my hand by buying exclusives.

I'll choose to purchase it, and where I will purchase it. In the meantime I will play the free demo.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You think Valve paid for Halo exclusivity?
Pretty sure microsoft got a great deal from valve and microsoft prolly didnt pay the 30% cut.
But hey i am just guessing.
Maybe microsoft just likes steam 😆

Wake up

Shifty

Man, console wars are something but the launcher wars has to be the most petty. At least with console you have the financial argument of spending $400 on another box. What was the problem with an alternate launcher? An additional icon? OH NOES!!!!!
LOL.
If that's all you're seeing here then you aren't even remotely prepared to actually engage in the discussion. Also lol at calling other people petty before immediately downplaying the issue to suit your narrative.

Go back to baby's first copy of internet discourse and review some of the old threads, then maybe we'll talk.

Stuart360

I really wish people would get it out of their minds that people are pissed off with Epic because they dont want another launcher. Thats literally one of many reasons, and one of the minor reasons. Moneyhatting games, and forced exclusivity by using fucking FortShite money is the biggest for me.

johntown

Banned
I hope PC gamers have the willpower that I have and can wait for 6 months. Considering it is Borderlands 3 I don't see that happening.

I blame Epic and Gearbox for greed. Gearbox obviously does not give a crap about the PC gamers and just wants to make more money. Who cares if gamers have to go to a crappy store that no one likes or uses as long as we make more money.

Shifty

I really wish people would get it out of their minds that people are pissed off with Epic because they dont want another launcher. Thats literally one of many reasons, and one of the minor reasons. Moneyhatting games, and forced exclusivity by using fucking FortShite money is the biggest for me.
Trouble is, it takes actual effort to read and understand what's going on instead of plugging your ears shouting ANOTHER CLICK LOL WHATTA BUNCHA BABIES.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Trouble is, it takes actual effort to read and understand what's going on instead of plugging your ears shouting ANOTHER CLICK LOL WHATTA BUNCHA BABIES.
'I dunna getz it, is it dat hard to install anover lancher dudes?, you geez are dumbo'

If that's all you're seeing here then you aren't even remotely prepared to actually engage in the discussion. Also lol at calling other people petty before immediately downplaying the issue to suit your narrative.

Go back to baby's first copy of internet discourse and review some of the old threads, then maybe we'll talk.
Sure, it's an exaggeration of sorts but meant to convey the blown out of proportion, extremely minor issues that posters have over the epic store or any competition to steam. Capitalism is the driving force of business in the free market economy. Maybe steam should offer developers and publishers more potential for revenue as well. It's clear that more money is desirable, yes? Can you blame them?

bilderberg

tenor.gif

You're calling for people to get mad at Steam for not counter-moneyhatting to compete with Epic?

The whole reason people are getting mad in the first place is because they don't want to see the PC space turn into the shitty exclusive fight that is the console market. That would be a most counter-productive course of action.

And you're basing this on what?

Except you'll never have to pay in to use epic game's store. You'll never have two pc's taking up entertainment space. Game store exclusivity and console exclusivity aren't remotely similar. I'm not sure why asking Steam to compete with epic is so absurd. They're already 'moneyhatting' with their % margin. Steam is just banking on devotion from fans to not have to do anything to compete. They're getting a whole bunch of undeserved good will by not doing anything.

MMaRsu

Banned
Not doing anything consumer unfriendly you mean?

What's the positives about the EGS compared to Steam for a consumer? Oh wait there are literally none.

Undeserved goodwill? LOL :messenger_dizzy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

desertdroog

Xbox one collector editions are already sold out on Borderlands.com. I hope there aren't any scalpers, been waiting for this for too long.
I knew those would go quick. Snatched my Diamond pre-order as soon as the link hit the wire.

Which was almost ten mins after I pre-ordered the deluxe edition on Amazon; and subsequently cancelled.

Last edited:

Shifty

Sure, it's an exaggeration of sorts but meant to convey the blown out of proportion, extremely minor issues that posters have over the epic store or any competition to steam. Capitalism is the driving force of business in the free market economy. Maybe steam should offer developers and publishers more potential for revenue as well. It's clear that more money is desirable, yes? Can you blame them?
My main focus is the moneyhat stuff, since PC has been a desirable platform for lack of that practice for some 20+ years now. There are things around the edges like the lack of store functionality and such that people will dig at Epic for, but they can for the most part be fixed with time and are just extra straws on the haybale by comparison.

As far as revenue share goes, I can get behind the idea of Epic giving devs a bigger cut for their trouble- that's the kind of thing that might force Steam to innovate or reduce their own cut in order to compete, resulting in net positives all round. There are probably arguments to be had over what constitutes a 'fair' cut though, given that Valve charges the same 30% as the console platform holders while providing a substantially different service.

Guaranteeing revenue via paid exclusive is too much though, there's no backing off industry standard practices like that once they've been set, as stuff like DLC, GaaS and MTX have shown over the years. It promotes unhealthy competition, causing a bunch of cash to be spent on arbitrarily locking consumers off from certain stores when it would be better invested in improving the services involved or straight up funding the development of new titles.

Simply_Bry

You think Valve paid for Halo exclusivity?
I don't know. There is as much proof for Valve paying Halo exclusivity as for Epic Games paying Borderlands 3 exclusivity: none. Yet people here claim they know Valve didn't do anything to get Halo exclusivity and Epic Games did everything to get Borderlands 3 exclusivity, like they went undercover at both companies. They just want a reason to hate Epic Games because their store lacks many basic features, but the reality is that game developers don't like Steam's revenue policies and therefore go to EGS.

Meh, I don't see the big deal. Exclusivity is a normal thing. If you want to play the game, download the epic store or wait until it comes to steam. If you want to send a message, don't download the game. Gamers are entitled. I want what I want when I want how I want.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I don't know. There is as much proof for Valve paying Halo exclusivity as for Epic Games paying Borderlands 3 exclusivity: none. Yet people here claim they know Valve didn't do anything to get Halo exclusivity and Epic Games did everything to get Borderlands 3 exclusivity, like they went undercover at both companies. They just want a reason to hate Epic Games because their store lacks many basic features, but the reality is that game developers don't like Steam's revenue policies and therefore go to EGS.

What? They have already said that Borderlands 3 will come to EGS exclusive.

The reality is that the money doesn't even go to the developers, it goes to the publishers.

And the developers have nothing against Steam's revenue policies. Because if they did they would have caused an uproar years ago and negotiated a better contract with Valve.

People dislike Epic because of what they are trying to pull in the PC gaming space, making exclusives a thing.

You don't know jack shit and are talking out of your ass.

Meh, I don't see the big deal. Exclusivity is a normal thing. If you want to play the game, download the epic store or wait until it comes to steam. If you want to send a message, don't download the game.

Uhh what? Exclusivity is NOT a normal thing on PC.

What kind of astroturfing bullshit am I reading here man? Wtf are all these Epic stans? Are you guys Fortnite fanboys coming out of the woodworks to fight the "EVIL VALVE" and their "LOW EFFORT LIBRARY OF STEAM GAMES" ?

Who are these people? There is literally NO positives to buying on the EGS compared to Steam or any other platform. Can you name one besides being able to buy that exclusive game?

Shifty

There is as much proof for Valve paying Halo exclusivity as for Epic Games paying Borderlands 3 exclusivity: none.
Ignoring the fact that the game is exclusive to the Epic Games Store for 6 months.

Because game developers and publishers would totally leave money on the table by cutting out a major revenue stream like that, with no financial motivation.

What a fucking ludicrous notion
3w2MWDX.png

Except you'll never have to pay in to use epic game's store. You'll never have two pc's taking up entertainment space. Game store exclusivity and console exclusivity aren't remotely similar. I'm not sure why asking Steam to compete with epic is so absurd. They're already 'moneyhatting' with their % margin. Steam is just banking on devotion from fans to not have to do anything to compete. They're getting a whole bunch of undeserved good will by not doing anything.
Based on the direction MS is going, you might not have to 'pay in' to use their service before long either. And you're forgetting that you do in fact have to buy a PC in the first place, that's still money out. Just not to a platform holder.

Entertainment space is quite frankly a laughable argument.

They are not 'moneyhatting' with their margin because 'moneyhatting' means 'to purchase exclusivity or some other large favour'. Do you for realsies not have any better material than attempting to assign it a different meaning for the sake of saying 'being greedy'? Because said in plain english that might actually be the seed of a solid argument.

And Steam has earned its goodwill, but it's not without flaws. That's part of why the whole thing is so irritating, because Epic's involvement could be a force for making them get up off their collective behinds and improve their service. Fix all the unfinished shit like Big Picture and Steam Input, maybe put out some games people want. All moneyhatting practices are going to do is cause a bunch of cash to get flushed down the toilet chasing individual mini-monopolies.

Last edited:

Teslerum

The reality is that the money doesn't even go to the developers, it goes to the publishers.

And the developers have nothing against Steam's revenue policies. Because if they did they would have caused an uproar years ago and negotiated a better contract with Valve.

Devs that work with a publisher don't get much/if anything at all from the revenue stream anyway. After all the publishers pay the developers to develop the product/game, so they pocket the games actual revenue as well. Ditto if they are outright owned.

Devs caring really only applies to indies. And honestly I don't know if the money Epic upfronts isn't more attractive than the difference in revenue.

Last edited:

People dislike Epic because of what they are trying to pull in the PC gaming space, making exclusives a thing.

You don't know jack shit and are talking out of your ass.

Uhh what? Exclusivity is NOT a normal thing on PC.

What kind of astroturfing bullshit am I reading here man? Wtf are all these Epic stans? Are you guys Fortnite fanboys coming out of the woodworks to fight the "EVIL VALVE" and their "LOW EFFORT LIBRARY OF STEAM GAMES" ?

Who are these people? There is literally NO positives to buying on the EGS compared to Steam or any other platform. Can you name one besides being able to buy that exclusive game?

Calm down. I didn't mean exclusivity is normal on PC, I mean just in general. The PS4 has exclusive games, iOS has exclusive apps, Netflix has exclusive movies etc. etc. Welcome to capitalism. It's called business decisions and if you don't like it don't buy the game. It's an extremely simple concept. Also, I don't game on the PC anymore but I love Valve and Steam. I have nothing against them. The difference is that I can understand basic business decisions.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah which are not positive for consumers AT ALL. I can also understand basic business decisions. The thing is I'm not in a business. I just want to play the games at low cost and where it pleases me. So there is 0 need for exclusivity on PC. Epic is trying to push it on PC gamers who have no need or desire for it. So that is why gamers are against EGS and their bullshit.

Consoles have always been closed platforms. PC has always been an open platform. Big difference.

It really has little to do with their client itself, which admittingly is garbage too.

Last edited:

Shifty

The difference is that I can understand basic business decisions.
There's a difference between understanding and capitulating.

Understand why these things happen and thinking they're absolute nonsense are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Again, this is a blatant double standard. THere are TONS of games you can't play if you don't install steam.
But you guys are always been ok with this because you're steam fanboys.

Agree on the rest, though. The 30% cut is pretty much normal and Epic's smaller cut goes to publishers. Developers won't see a cent.

Last edited:

asker

THere are TONS of games you can't play if you don't install steam.
Do you REALLY not see the difference between one online store PAYING publishers do make the game exclusive to their platform, and the publishers themselves choosing to only publish on Steam, with not a single thing stopping them from also publishing on any other distribution platform they want?

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Are you going to keep ignoring most responses to your posts and then chime in again a page or two later with the same lines? I'm at least trying to argue and discuss in good faith here :)

It is rare for average forum-goers to have concrete evidence in this industry - Private contracts and NDAs abound. We get leaks and generally have to take what we hear from devs & publishers at face value (with room to sniff out PR bullshit).
Weird to talk about companies like this but: Valve paying out for exclusivity would be out of character, but not impossible. Epic paying out for exclusivity in one form or another has happened and is suggested to continue to happen for a while by Sweeney's own admission. Again, not offering up anything for BL3 would be out of character. 2K, as a publisher, not asking for some sort of incentive such as a revenue guarantee would also be out of character and would probably piss off their shareholders!
Publishers like money and very much like offsetting the risk of backing games as early as possible. Epic offers that and that shouldn't be a surprise.

Again, this is a blatant double standard. THere are TONS of games you can't play if you don't install steam.

Agree on the rest, though. The 30% cut is pretty much normal and Epic's smaller cut goes to publishers. Developers won't see a cent.
We're hitting up against the distinction of "paid exclusives" versus "only available here". People are up in arms over the "paid exclusives" part. Nobody is stopping From Software from putting Sekiro or DS3 on other PC stores but that is the case with paid exclusives - I'm guessing they don't want to deal with the logistics of launching on every store for the remaining potential piece of the pie. However, as Simply_Bry wants us to state... I don't know that.
I can understand some of the hate for Steam, especially if you had to use it from very beginning? Not a great experience back then but I at the very least saw it as a necessary evil to get rid of the awful CD/DVD based DRM we had to put up with.

Fuz

Banned
Do you REALLY not see the difference between one online store PAYING publishers do make the game exclusive to their platform, and the publishers themselves choosing to only publish on Steam, with not a single thing stopping them from also publishing on any other distribution platform they want?
Do you REALLY not see the difference between being able to play a game ONLY By installing steam, and playing it without having to install any launcher/having on a different store?

Also, they're timed exclusives. So, the game will be in MORE stores after a set period of time. Which is something that doesn't happen with steam exclusives.

Fuz

Banned
necessary evil to get rid of the awful CD/DVD based DRM we had to put up with.
Hell no, that was a million times better than being forced to install an useless piece of software and transitioning de-facto ownership to a service.

nani17

are in a big trouble
NOT MY COMMENT FOUND IT OVER ON REDDIT

Reason not to use Epic Store:

1.They have terrible security ( 80 million accounts were exposed last week)

2. They have terrible customer service (just google it)

3. Games are more expensive on Epic due to regional pricing

4. You can’t play games offline

5. Limited social features

6. No screenshots

7. No controller support

8. They broke EU laws (and still do)

9. Scummy tactics (you had to tick a box opt out of emails etc)

10. They are partially owned by Tencent (a company that sells user data to the Chinese government)

11. No achievements

12. No cloud saves

13. No game forums (many people went to steam for subnautica support)

14. Epic make you pay the transaction fee when purchasing games

15. They are anti-consumer (they pay for exclusive rights to games to try and force you to use their store)

16. They can refuse refunds even if you meet the criteria

17. No reviews

18. No linux support

19. No mature user community

Pretty sure microsoft got a great deal from valve and microsoft prolly didnt pay the 30% cut.
But hey i am just guessing.
Maybe microsoft just likes steam 😆

Wake up
Microsoft ist fighting to keep the brands alive that are drifting into irrelevance. You don't do that by nailing it into the coffin that is the windows store.
Halo is pretty much their last relevant IP with potential mass appeal.

MMaRsu

Banned

I can't recall an instance of Valve paying to keep a game off other platforms.

Can you provide me with a specific instance of that happening?

Solomeena

Banned

LOL.

You keep astroturfing bro, Tim must pay you a lot like the game devs he bribes, get lost.

PhoenixTank

Hell no, that was a million times better than being forced to install an useless piece of software and transitioning de-facto ownership to a service
Each to their own. I considered the DRM that arbitrarily stopped me running games while also running any power-user software on my computer a far larger affront. Some required a clean reboot after using these tools before you were allowed to play again. Hell I remember many instances where games' DRM would outright break back then for no discernable reason - off to google to troubleshoot, often fruitlessly. Like it or not, when you were running a game before Steam, you still had useless software running too.
If you just had a couple of games on Steam, yeah probably not the best trade-offs for the user experience, but after a few it scaled well and really became more convenient at least in my experience.

As for the ownership part, yeah I hear you. I wasn't particularly keen about selling on PC games (or games in general) anyway but I know I'm not everyone. As an offset we did get games with very deep discounts for quite a few years... usually better prices than we'd have otherwise got for a used copy! That unfortunately seems to have dried up on Steam itself but is more common through third party sellers (legit, not the grey markets). A side effect of Epic exclusivity is that customers have less choice in that respect than they did before. I'd applaud if Epic freely offered keys to devs/publishers to sell while taking a 0% cut on them.

You don't have to agree with me, we're all made from our differing past experiences and choices and I can respect yours. If I can bridge the gap of understanding a bit that'd be wonderful, though.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
As long as Epic keeps throwing money at trendy FPS retreads I may not need to ever install the Epic app to begin with. All it would take is one game I'm interested in to change my opinion on Epic, there isn't one yet.

The cell shading style just doesn't work for me visually, by the third go around they should have the fun dialed in on this game.

sol_bad

LOL.

So you're a console gamer?
Next gen, if Sony or Microsoft released a console that was a step backwards in every conceivable way and it's online was basically a shop front and peer to peer online. Everything else was removed. No friends list, no group/party chats, no achievements, no social media/youtube integration, no PS+ or Games with Gold.

You would happily choose that console over the competition who still has all of the above?

They aren't banking on anything. They believe in a free and open market. They want the customers, publishers and developers to go where they want.

wow
You really are just plugging your ears and ignoring what everyone says.
Talking about revenue stream, it's the console owners who should drop the % maargin, they can subsidise it with what they make in PS+ and Gold memberships. Valve give all that shit away for free.

Do you REALLY not see the difference between being able to play a game ONLY By installing steam, and playing it without having to install any launcher/having on a different store?
Also, they're timed exclusives. So, the game will be in MORE stores after a set period of time. Which is something that doesn't happen with steam exclusives.

Don't you need to install the Epic launcher to play games there too? What's your point when you need the launcher for either company? Epic didn't improve anything. As for Steam exclusivity, as mentioned a million times, Valve don't stop any developer/publisher from putting their games anywhere else. You can't be angry at Valve for this, be angry at the developer/publisher of the game you want because they are too lazy to sell their game via other avenues.

Last edited:

-hal-

Lots of noise in this thread.

I simply don't want to buy it on the EGS for three reasons:

1) I want my games to be available for a good long while. Valve has a track record. Epic is the new guy in the storefront arena.
I've seen plenty of them come and go.

2) My friends and I use Steam to keep track of each other and meet up for co-op. It's built in.
... where's Epic's community features?
3) I've played BL, BL2, and BL:TPS off and on for years. My cloud save is always there if I have to re-install.
Where's Epic's cloud save?

I can wait for the good version.

Last edited:
So you're a console gamer?
Next gen, if Sony or Microsoft released a console that was a step backwards in every conceivable way and it's online was basically a shop front and peer to peer online. Everything else was removed. No friends list, no group/party chats, no achievements, no social media/youtube integration, no PS+ or Games with Gold.

You would happily choose that console over the competition who still has all of the above?

They aren't banking on anything. They believe in a free and open market. They want the customers, publishers and developers to go where they want.

I guess it just depends on how much they are paid to shill for said inferior product.

Shifty

This argument is weak. Epic are actively moving to secure exclusives with money, whereas valve did so implicitly by creating a new niche in the PC market. They don't attempt to prevent games from appearing on other storefronts and developers are entirely free to extend their sales to EGS or various other platforms, so it's a non-equivalent comparison.

Would you like some fish to go with that large chip on your shoulder? :messenger_winking:

Hell no, that was a million times better than being forced to install an useless piece of software and transitioning de-facto ownership to a service.
That I can't disagree with, but I also don't disillusion myself with the idea that it's going to come back. We're in the darkest timeline already, keeping on about it when the industry has long since moved on to other creative ways to shit on customers is Abe Simpson material.

572789d5246406.54263691.jpg

Last edited:

There's a difference between understanding and capitulating.

Understand why these things happen and thinking they're absolute nonsense are not mutually exclusive.

You're not wrong but...ok? Epic has the freedom to make crappy business deals...just like you have the freedom to not buy their game.

Top Bottom