• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox: Duke Nukem 2 unlikely, Bulletstorm 2 could maybe happen

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wouldn't hold my breath though.

DualShockers said:
DualShockers: Is that also kind of a way that Duke could also come back in a new game of his? Is this a way for you guys to gauge interest in bringing him back for a new Duke Nukem game?

Vincent Slaven (Public Relations Manager, Gearbox Publishing): Not so much. It's pretty much like Meredith said that we were trying to think of things we could add to give more value to the customer: Duke Nukem came about [in Bulletstorm] because they were so similar.

But, kind of in relation to your question, this Full Clip Edition is more or less a way to do that — because People Can Fly own the rights to the franchise fully — and they want to do more with it. And so they are kind of like — because game development is so expensive — they want to put this out to see like ”Do people still want Bulletstorm?" Is there like a different climate now that would be more receptive? And if it is, there is definitely, probably gonna be an option for a Bulletstorm 2 following this.

So it's kind of not related but — Duke Nukem 2... no, but Bulletstorm 2, I think: maybe.
Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/04/03/bulletstorm-full-clip-edition-interview/

x-Lundz-x

So basically, if we want Bulletstorm 2 we need to buy the Full Clip edition? I liked it but not sure if I want to spend 60 to replay it even with the coop stuff.

Don't care about Duke anymore, he had his day.

Xater

I don't know what the expectations are for a remaster like this. Like what would it need to do for a Bulletstorm 2? I have a hard time seeing it happen.

No more Duke sounds like the first sensible thing out if Gearbox for a while. I wonder how much money they wasted on that IP.

Bashtee

No surprise. What about their MOBA fps? I actually forget the title. Will Mr. Pitchford pull a successor out of his magical pockets?

Vimes

“Do people still want Bulletstorm?” Is there like a different climate now that would be more receptive?

Bulletstorm is a goddamned masterpiece, but no, not at that price point. I'm not paying $50 just to get rid of GFWL.

They are setting themselves up for failure and it's breaking my heart.

Experien

It makes send but I kind of don't like it when devs taunt this infront of gamers.

The only thing I remember about this game is the glitch on the bridge area. Was there a big following for this game?

MUnited83

For you.
They want to see their full price remaster with barely any improvements and shitty Nukem cameo as a gauge of interest for a sequel?

Bulletstorm 2 is even deader than most people thought then.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Duke Nukem could come back but Gearbox could never pull it off. You'd need to have the fast and fun gameplay/level design combo of 3D and do something clever with the character, like what MachineGames did with BJ Blazkowicz in TNO. Looking at their track record, Gearbox just doesn't have the in-house talent to manage that.

So a bit of a mix of DOOM 2016 (in terms of reviving facets of classic gameplay and level design) and Wolfenstein: The New Order (in terms of narrative and smartly reconstructing a character).

See, here's the issue - I would love a Bulletstorm 2.

I absolutely will not buy a $50 remaster of the original Bulletstorm with Duke Nukem awkwardly shoved in to prove how much I would enjoy a Bulletstorm 2. Having a Gearbox logo on the cover ensures it's not getting my cash too so the entire endeavor is a non-starter.

No Bulletstorm 2 for us, I suppose.

I'd love a sequel to Bulletstorm but it really feels like they're fumbling this relaunch and I seriously doubt it'll sell well enough to justify another. I will buy it, but I'm going to wait until it hits the £15-20 region which is more in line with what I'd expect to pay for it. It boggles my mind that they're launching it for £45 on UK PSN.

So the release of the remaster is priced way too high, then they use the sale of this overpriced remaster to gauge making a new one.

Yeah, we're not getting a new one.

robotrock

Banned
Bulletstorm 2 should really happen but my god they are being so dumb with that remaster pricing.

Duke Nukem should be so dead. Disrespectful of them to cram the IP they salvaged into another IP they salvaged.

Duke Nukem 2 already exists. And saying that the future of the Bulletstorm franchise depends on the sales of this poorly marketed re-release is basically the same thing as saying that it's dead.

13randO

I shamelessly bought Bulletstorm for the Gears 3 beta. After I played it, I can't say that I ever really needed to play another Bulletstorm game again, remaster or otherwise. The gunplay was fun enough, but the game overall didn't leave a very lasting impression. Definitely put more hours into the Gears beta lol.

If they wanted to bring back Duke Nukem, they should do it in the style of Call of Juarez Gunslinger: Duke in a bar getting wasted reciting his adventures through a series of unconnected stories. A small $20, 6-ish hour downloadable game with a focus on good level design and fun set-pieces. He's never going to succeed at the $60 price point unless they get someone very talented to totally break down and deconstruct the character, and a more capable developer than Gearbox actually making the game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This doesn't bode well for a Bulletstorm sequel. Duke is such a lame character. Glad he's pretty much finished as a main character.

No surprise. What about their MOBA fps? I actually forget the title. Will Mr. Pitchford pull a successor out of his magical pockets?

xZN8D6s.jpg

Looking good

hydruxo

Duke Nukem needs to be put to rest. It's a product of the 90s. There is no bringing that franchise back to relevance.

Just put Duke Nukem in Borderlands 3

I don't even particularly like him as a character, but it would be easy to fit his style of humor into the universe and I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to think up a class type for him.

And I'd be down for another Bulletstorm. Take some lessons from the new Doom and it could be fantastic.

SirNinja

but Bulletstorm 2, I think: maybe.

Riiiight.

"Maybe", in this case, means "in the event that a poorly-marketed, premium-priced, 5-year-old, Denuvo-laden game (now with the most random DLC ever!) happens to somehow sell really really well".

This fucking thing is going to bomb twice now, and it just hurts to watch. Bulletstorm deserves so much better than this. :(

dh4niel

Why did Gearbox buy the Duke Nukem IP again? Was it just to help get DNF out the door or what?

I really enjoyed Bulletstorm but not enough to buy it again.

Duke Nukem needs to be put to rest. It's a product of the 90s. There is no bringing that franchise back to relevance.

I dunno. You could do it but you'd have to go beyond what Doom 2016 did and have it be some kind of metatextual examination of Duke Nukems character in 2017+ and the level of wit and cleverness that would take is far beyond the level the Borderlands writers could do.

Anyway why bother? Make another Borderlands instead, people actually like those games and they sell.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why did Gearbox buy the Duke Nukem IP again? Was it just to help get DNF out the door or what?

I really enjoyed Bulletstorm but not enough to buy it again.
They were going to make Duke Begins after shipping Duke Nukem Forever out the door (which was mostly finished by contract studios), but Duke Nukem Forever was so poorly received that Duke Begins was canned.

NotLiquid

Drop the price of the remaster, make Duke the default option in the main game (not a friggin pre-order bonus), rename it to Duke Nukem Forever.

Maybe people will forget that the original DNF was a shitshow.

PnCIa

Its so sad that the Duke ip is in Gearbox hands. Apparently they have no intention to do something with it, and even if they tried inhouse...i dread the results. Just let a capable developer do something with it. Make an indy type Duke 3d 2.0 with oldschool-graphics thats high on gameplay and fun.

What original are you talking about, if someone wants to make a classic 2D side scrolling Duke I'll have a look at it.

I mean more like the fps but upgraded in IQ/textures etc never played the SS myself.

But Duke is one of the best FPS ever made, even the extra campaigns are all pretty well made. I think a new game with a bit of upgraded tech would be fantastic as long as the art style can be well made (especially character models) a fitting style is needed.

Top Bottom