• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox Sues 3D Realms And Interceptor Over Newly Announced Duke Nukem Title

aaaaaa

Ignore the legal issues, 3D Realms thought that the best use of Duke Nukem would be... AN ISOMETRIC RPG. Good god.

suing people in general kind of sucks? especially when they are doing something more interesting with the license than you are? but I guess the duke ip always sucked anyway.

You dont think one company walking all over another's copyrights without repercussions sucks as well?
And if 3d realms or any other company thinks they have a better idea for a duke nukem game and they want to make it than they can buy the ip.
You know, like Gearbox did.

man gearbox kind of sucks

I don't even...

Also, people putting DNF on Gearbox is ridiculous. I have no reason to believe that it would ever get released if they didn't buy the brand. 3D Realms is a terrible studio. They didn't even remember they sold Duke Nukem, so no wonder it took them 15 years to make a game.

daviyoung

Banned
Ignore the legal issues, 3D Realms thought that the best use of Duke Nukem would be... AN ISOMETRIC RPG. Good god.

Considering the dev and 3D Realms sense of humour I can't help feel it's a joke

I
Also, people putting DNF on Gearbox is ridiculous. I have no reason to believe that it would ever get released if they didn't buy the brand. 3D Realms is a terrible studio.

After playing I would have been fine with it never being released

Can people hating Gearbox for this explain why? Because my popcorn is almost done.

They have a bit of a habit of taking old, well liked IPs and making really, really shitty games with them (see Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines).

Most people, however, only know them from Borderlands 2, which is actually a very good game.

Also currently people are worried about the Homeworld IP, an old and well liked IP that Gearbox bought after THQ shut down. They're track record really isn't the best.

Personally I like Anthony Burch and have since before he was part of them and I think that he'll probably be able to keep them from destroying any of the games he's working on, but the rest of the company I'm indifferent about.

Whompa

3DR sold the IP to gearbox for money.
Now they are trying to release a game using that ip.

You don't see anything wrong with that?

Probably not release, but develop further and then wait on it. Would love to hear the full story here but gearbox seems to be 100% in the right for protecting its ip.

Considering the dev and 3D Realms sense of humour I can't help feel it's a joke

After playing I would have been fine with it never being released

Wouldn't disagree with you there. But at least they got the brand out of limbo. Regardless of what people think of that turd.

Slayven

Why on earth would you make a game and announce it knowing you had sold the rights to another company? Another company that you already tried to sue and failed.

It's almost like they want to be broken in court.

it does boggle mind. Do they not have lawyers or something?

DogMeat77

Some of you have some pretty amazing ideas about how business and intellectual property work.

Not sure what 3DR was thinking.

flkraven

yes, it means you cant call a game what it really is.

Ok. So when a mommy company and a daddy company form a relationship...

Hmm, I'm probably better off using the birds and the bees.

A bee may have an exclusive recipe for honey. It may not be everyone's favorite honey currently, but people have fond memories of it because it is the honey they grew up eating. The bee gets into some money troubles and is having problems producing the honey. In order to get more money quickly, the bee sells his exclusive recipe to a bird. The bird buys the recipe and the rights to exclusively make the honey from now on. So the bird gets a fancy new honey business, and the bee gets a big cash payout right now! Everyone wins.

Except for when the shady bee still goes out and tries to make honey using his old recipe. The bird gets mad because if the bee is allowed to make honey using the old recipe, then the bird paid all that money for nothing.

So who is the one in the wrong. The bird or the bee.

Acosta

Wow, I didn't think 3D Realm "management"s could be dumber than what they shown, but it seems there was deeper layers of stupidity. Lol.

"Sure, we will release a cheap Duke Nukem game to regain the IP, nobody will notice!".

Jedi2016

man gearbox kind of sucks
Hmm.. looks like somebody didn't bother actually reading the OP in his almighty quest to get first post.

So from reading the article, I can't tell if there's actually a lawsuit here. They sent a C&D a week ago, and that's it... a C&D is not a lawsuit. Now, if 3D Realms said, "Quite right, old chap, it really does belong to you" and then kept working on it anyway without any kind of licensing arrangement, then I could see a lawsuit happening. But if 3DR backs off and properly licenses the IP (assuming Gearbox will even let them at this point), then no harm done.

Hmm.. looks like somebody didn't bother actually reading the OP in his almighty quest to get first post.

So from reading the article, I can't tell if there's actually a lawsuit here. They sent a C&D a week ago, and that's it... a C&D is not a lawsuit. Now, if 3D Realms said, "Quite right, old chap, it really does belong to you" and then kept working on it anyway without any kind of licensing arrangement, then I could see a lawsuit happening. But if 3DR backs off and properly licenses the IP (assuming Gearbox will even let them at this point), then no harm done.

I was also confused at first. Only one sentence mentions the suit:
Today, Gearbox Software filed suit on February 21 against the duo for copyright infringement.

Gaogaogao

I didn't know the op was supposed to change my opinion of gearbox

MYE

Yeah, how dare they sue someone for making a game they own the rights to!

image.php

typical derp response

Yeah they are right on this one. Yet somehow I feel like telling them to fuck off.
They worked hard to deserve this kind of treatment from me I'll tell you that. Shit company

Orca

Why on earth would you make a game and announce it knowing you had sold the rights to another company? Another company that you already tried to sue and failed.

It's almost like they want to be broken in court.

Why would any developer deal with them on a license they had very publicly sold off?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so this is kinda like the Fallout MMO situation right? Bethesda bought the ip yet Interplay tried to make a new game.

Ok. So when a mommy company and a daddy company form a relationship...

Hmm, I'm probably better off using the birds and the bees.

A bee may have an exclusive recipe for honey. It may not be everyone's favorite honey currently, but people have fond memories of it because it is the honey they grew up eating. The bee gets into some money troubles and is having problems producing the honey. In order to get more money quickly, the bee sells his exclusive recipe to a bird. The bird buys the recipe and the rights to exclusively make the honey from now on. So the bird gets a fancy new honey business, and the bee gets a big cash payout right now! Everyone wins.

Except for when the shady bee still goes out and tries to make honey using his old recipe. The bird gets mad because if the bee is allowed to make honey using the old recipe, then the bird paid all that money for nothing.

So who is the one in the wrong. The bird or the bee.

I blame the honey.

Cels

They have a bit of a habit of taking old, well liked IPs and making really, really shitty games with them (see Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines).

Most people, however, only know them from Borderlands 2, which is actually a very good game.

Also currently people are worried about the Homeworld IP, an old and well liked IP that Gearbox bought after THQ shut down. They're track record really isn't the best.

Personally I like Anthony Burch and have since before he was part of them and I think that he'll probably be able to keep them from destroying any of the games he's working on, but the rest of the company I'm indifferent about.

well it wasnt just that aliens was shit, but that early footage of the game had some pretty nice lighting effects that mysteriously disappeared from the final product, and gearbox boss randy pitchford got real defensive about this when asked about why the release had noticeably inferior graphics.

oh, and there is also the fact that sega hired gearbox to make the game, except they didnt actually work on it for four or so years. they worked on their own games during this time (borderlands 1/2/dnf) instead they outsourced it to another developer named timegate, but apparently timegate's ouput sucked so gearbox took it back. but by that time it had been way too long so gearbox rushed the game out and that game was what became of aliens colonial marines.

and finally gearbox boss randy pitchford is an ass and a liar.

http://playeressence.com/gearbox-pr...says-fk-response-borderlands-2-dlc-criticism/ here he gets into it with a fan over some bl2 criticism.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/17/whats-in-a-name-gearbox-software/ here pitchford makes up a story about how gearbox got its name, involving gabe newell of all people in an elaborate lie.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

There is a lawsuit.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/208676148...S-ENTERTAINMENT-and-INTERCEPTOR-ENTERTAINMENT

As others have stated, legally Gearbox is right in this scenario.

Anyone remember that sit down interview/promo video Pitchford did for Aliens: CM? He basically spouted lie after lie for about 5 minutes. It really was pathetic after the game released and the truth was painfully revealed.

Xater

Even if you don't like Gearbox they are totally in the right here. They bought the IP so they could finish DNF. So if you want to make a Duke Nukem game you better get the rights from them.

BibiMaghoo

Why would any developer deal with them on a license they had very publicly sold off?

Dev may have been told that they had license for specific titles. I mean, if a publisher approaches you to make a title, it's going to be easy to just assume they have the rights for it.

Whatever the case, it's fucking lunacy. Smells fishy to me.

Maybe the license is carefully worded to only cover future Duke Nukem fps games? It would explain why they want to make an isometric RPG.

Top Bottom