• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox suing 3D Realms, Interceptor for unauthorized Duke Nukem use

This is what needs more attention.

They have the old builds.

They've played the build from the 2002 trailer.

I would put a ton of money into a product that came with that- a way to "cross that part of my childhood off my to-do list".

There's a lot of potential left in Duke. It just needs the right people to take what is there and run with it!

I didn't know that build actually existed, nevermind being accessible today. I'd seriously pay anything to play that. I've read online that it was a bunch of scripted events but if it were actually playable in some form I'd be willing to spend years repairing it to a playable state.

BlackRock

I didn't know that build actually existed, nevermind being accessible today. I'd seriously pay anything to play that. I've read online that it was a bunch of scripted events but if it were actually playable in some form I'd be willing to spend years repairing it to a playable state.

I've heard similar. That the 2002 trailer was all just mockup, and there was no real game at that point. Anyone know the truth? If 3D Realms could have delivered on that trailer, it would have been a legendary game. It still looks like fun today. Would be fascinating if there are actual builds of it...

Mr. Tibbs

They're playable (they have the Prey (1995-1999) builds as well). It sounds like the early builds would've lived up to the 2001 trailer. Hopefully that stuff sees the light of day at some point.

A lot of great stuff in the prev. builds. My favourite part is probably the EDF "Tower" level, which starts with the highway, and the 747 crashing.
This is also where you experience the "Save the world all by yourself" scene, before reaching the top floor, cracking a code, and getting a hologram briefing of alien tech, before an aircraft crashes into the building.
Absolutely stunning and mind-blowing back in 2001.

Mr. Tibbs

I've heard similar. That the 2002 trailer was all just mockup, and there was no real game at that point. Anyone know the truth? If 3D Realms could have delivered on that trailer, it would have been a legendary game. It still looks like fun today. Would be fascinating if there are actual builds of it...

That's just baseless speculation. Charlie Wiederhold (Titanfall, Certain Affinity) posted a detailed trailer breakdown in 2011 over at Duke4.

BlackRock

That's just baseless speculation. Charlie Wiederhold (Titanfall, Certain Affinity) posted a detailed trailer breakdown in 2011 over at Duke4.

Thanks for that. Seems they had a significant amount of that trailer as playable! It's such a shame we never got that game. I remember that trailer and it was jaw dropping back then. This was before Half-life 2 and we'd never seen anything quite like that trailer. It really is shame.

Anyway, thanks again. I'd always wondered what the story was.

pa22word

I don't think you would want that. Was Rise of the Triad an amazing shooter?

ROTT remake was a really fun game =\

It launched with perf issues sure, but once those were ironed out the game is probably my favorite shooter of the last few years. Also, it had an amazing OST.

Mr. Tibbs

ROTT remake was a really fun game =\

It launched with perf issues sure, but once those were ironed out the game is probably my favorite shooter of the last few years. Also, it had an amazing OST.

It was so buggy that I couldn't even run the launcher to change the system settings months after launch. I really, really didn't like that game. Luckily, Bombshell looks like a massive improvement on all fronts.

Cavalier

Banned
3D Realms are totally in the wrong, and they had 8 years to make a Duke Nukem game before Gearbox finally bought the rights and shoved their piece of crap out the door. Gearbox is just as shameful for claiming they "care" about Duken Nukem as a property, nobody who cared would have shipped that abortion called Duke Nukem Forever...

Can't agree with you there on DNF. I really enjoyed that game. Campaign was more entertaining than 99.9% of bro-shooters that were out at the time.

Ionic

Can't agree with you there on DNF. I really enjoyed that game. Campaign was more entertaining than 99.9% of bro-shooters that were out at the time.

I bought it when after it quickly dropped to 5 dollars and then held on to it before a year before playing it. I plowed through the campaign in a couple of days and actually had a lot of fun. Though a lot more crude and simplistic, it kind of reminded me of Half-Life where the whole game is you traversing a continuous environment with a couple environmental puzzles thrown in to break it up. Not bad at all. The DLC was really good too.

pa22word

It was so buggy that I couldn't even run the launcher to change the system settings months after launch.

It's been massively improved since then.

They were the first to admit they just bit off more than they could chew at launch, but they did a LOT of work fixing everything up. As it stands now it's probably the best modern incarnation of what classic, DOOM style FPS' played like.

Give it another go if you get the chance, I think you'll enjoy it if you have an affinity for those type of FPS games.

DaveOshry

LQcXV6V.gif

Roto13

I don't think you would want that. Was Rise of the Triad an amazing shooter? That game had a budget and a full time team. Reloaded had none of that and was being developed by a less experienced team.

It's worth pointing out that Gearbox was apparently really happy with DNF, at least according to a Triptych team member:

"Just goes to show that you never know what the fuck" is my new favourite saying.

Orayn

Can you imagine a developer giving the Duke character actual depth without killing the core of the character?

That'd be carzy

Or at least updating him to be true to the character and legitimately funny instead of just crass, like Lo Wang in Shadow Warrior 2013.

R1CHO

BroShooters like what? Call of Duty? Battlefield?

I hate those (single player), but DNF is a piece of shit so big that is a galaxy away from the quality of those games. :(

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Or at least updating him to be true to the character and legitimately funny instead of just crass, like Lo Wang in Shadow Warrior 2013.

That'd work too. Anything that isn't the trainwreck of edgy humor found in Forever.

And maybe tell Jon St. John to dial back the goofiness a bit in his Duke voice. I thought his voice in 3D was the best. It could be a little silly, but also had that 80s-90s action-hero reservation. Kept the right balance. He started sounding a bit too much like Barney the Dinosaur as time went on.

This video is a good way to compare the 3D voice with all that came after. The 3D lines are lower quality of course, but you can still tell that a lot of the difference is in the acting.

And also the writers must remember that quality > quantity and that brevity is the soul of wit.

It can't be that hard, can it?

Cavalier

Banned
BroShooters like what? Call of Duty? Battlefield?

I hate those (single player), but DNF is a piece of shit so big that is a galaxy away from the quality of those games. :(

Nah. DNF wasn't that bad. It was quite enjoyable. I would have to say that Wolfenstein TNO is the only recent one that succeeded in entertaining me as far as FPS campaigns are concerned after playing DNF campaign.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Nah. DNF wasn't that bad. It was quite enjoyable. I would have to say that Wolfenstein TNO is the only recent one that succeeded in entertaining me as far as FPS campaigns are concerned after playing DNF campaign.

I'm curious, did you ever play Duke Nukem 3D?

Top Bottom