• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox talks Aliens: Colonial Marines on Wii U

Mrbob

The device will, at times, become the game's motion tracker, a device in the fiction of the Alien universe that can track the location of enemies and friendlies by their motion. Pitchford explained that players may be asked to sweep their controller around them, looking for approaching enemies, which will show up as blips on the display of the controller

Yeah, no thanks. Sounds like gimmicky garbage. Hopefully you can turn this off. I'd rather just use it as a map the whole time.

Sounds like it's a lot more likely to come to the platform than it seemed earlier - talk of Gearbox prototyping for the system and setting up an R&D department etc.

Bert

Mrbob said:
Yeah, no thanks. Sounds like gimmicky garbage. Hopefully you can turn this off. I'd rather just use it as a map the whole time.

Some people hate fun :/

SmithnCo

players may be asked to sweep their controller around them, looking for approaching enemies, which will show up as blips on the display of the controller.

Sounds like it has the potential to elevate the scary parts of the game. I can imagine a Fatal Frame and other horror games using this device to good effect.

stuminus3

Mrbob said:
Passionately disagree. As an Aliens fan I can whole-heartedly say I've been wanting something like this for around 25 years now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
evolution said:
Id rather just hit the a button to pull up the map. they need find better ways to use the screen.

Get used to things like this

1-D_FTW

Here's the thing I don't get about all these cool secondary things you're supposed to be able to do with the second screen: WTF happens when you turn off the tv and only use the pad? Then you only can use the single screen... which says to me they'll never be very important to the actual game.

stuminus3

evolution said:
Id rather just hit the a button to pull up the map. they need find better ways to use the screen.
Sounds like the sort of thing I used to say in 2004 when I thought the DS was a silly idea.

FoneBone

Cosmonaut X said:
Sounds like it's a lot more likely to come to the platform than it seemed earlier - talk of Gearbox prototyping for the system and setting up an R&D department etc.
"Likely?"

MYE

stuminus3 said:
Passionately disagree. As an Aliens fan I can whole-heartedly say I've been wanting something like this for around 25 years now.

This

Jesus this will be awesome

Fou-Lu

Man, can't wait to see this thing used for Fatal Frame. (Was my very first thought on seeing the controller demo video) I have a friend who is an Aliens fan and he's really excited for this though.

Raide

It certainly sounds like a cool aspect of the game and I cannot wait to try it out. Sounds like it could add a nice extra aspect to the game. The sad thing is, by the time the Wii U comes out, most people would have already played the game to death on other consoles.

If they use the remote for some of the mini-games and hacking/programming turrets etc, that would also be really cool. It would help doing objectives and still keeping an eye out for enemies. :D

Jangocube

Banned
stuminus3 said:

Definitely.

Imagine the screen goes black, and all you have is your controller with the sensor on it going off. Man, that would have scared the crap out of me as a child.

stuminus3

Vagabundo said:
We can use the wiimote to aim right? Dual Analogue is a dead control scheme to me.
I think this remains to be seen, but I really hope the option to do so becomes standard. Especially since WM+ and Move are so similar, and so many multiplatform games in the coming years will probably have Move support. It would be really nice to have the choice, being able to switch it up depending on the game and the quality of the Wii U controller-specific features.

Mrbob

Let me just add to my original comments I think the motion tracker on the tablet controller could be cool, but I don't want to be sweeping my arms around like an idiot while playing the game.

Instead of having the motion tracker on screen, looking down to your tablet and taking your eyes off the action to look at the tracker could lead to a more intense experience.

Eradicate

stuminus3 said:

I agree as well.

It's nice that they are talking about coming to Wii U in a more definitive way than what it seemed earlier.

As for game playability when the TV is off, I assume that they just simply "revert" certain things once the switch is made. A HUD can come back, put the map on a pause screen, etc. It'd just be moving assets around.

Mrbob said:
Let me just add to my original comments I think the motion tracker on the tablet controller could be cool, but I don't want to be sweeping my arms around like an idiot while playing the game.

Instead of having the motion tracker on screen, looking down to your tablet and taking your eyes off the action to look at the tracker could lead to a more intense experience.

Geez, I wonder how many people have played wii games before...very few games make you do things like this, at least the good ones.

Raide

dude said:
How is something that improves immersion significantly a gimmick...?

I will disagree slightly with this, since currently, all we know they are doing is adding the motion tracker to another screen. If they expand it it be much more than just a portable scanner, then it will help with immersion.

remember how in Aliens, the motion scanner was a seperate thing that they carried around with them, and how it wasn't on a heads up display, and how they had to look down at it to read the information off of it?

that's why we think it's cool..

not because it's 'gimmicky'. not because it's more useful (it clearly isn't as useful as the same information on a HUD) but because it more faithfully recreates something from the films.

it's the ideal use of that second screen in an Aliens game.

and remember, you use the motion scanner *when you can't see the aliens infront of you*. if it's true to the films it won't help you for stuff behind you, so you are only going to be looking down when you get the 'bleep' for movement but there isn't anything on screen that you can see is causing that movement.

further more, in the 360/PS3 footage, the motion scanner is on screen obscuring part of your vision seemingly at all times.

let me see more of what's infront of me, and make the motion scanner function the same way it does in the films.

that people are calling it a negative... yeah. whatever... i don't think you want to play a game that faithfully recreates the experience of Aliens then, because this version of the motion scanner does just that.

Vagabundo

stuminus3 said:
I think this remains to be seen, but I really hope the option to do so becomes standard. Especially since WM+ and Move are so similar, and so many multiplatform games in the coming years will probably have Move support. It would be really nice to have the choice, being able to switch it up depending on the game and the quality of the Wii U controller-specific features.

Its a deal breaker for me. I'll not going to jump in at launch with this one. If the fps's are all dual analogue controls, forgetaboutit...

FoneBone said:
"Likely?"

The earlier PR was quite vague. An extract:

"We are extremely thrilled about the potential of the Nintendo Wii U and are honored to be a part of the earliest efforts for research and development on the platform with the Aliens: Colonial Marines project that is so perfectly matched with the platform's unique and exciting new capabilities," said Randy Pitchford, President of Gearbox Software. "As more details about the Nintendo Wii U emerge, Gearbox Software is equipped and motivated to engage and support the platform and its customers."

I believe Randy Pitchford later came out to say that the PR was couched so vaguely so as not to disrupt announcements etc. by "partners", but it was a lot more wishy-washy than game announcement PR usually is - hence my "likely".

MNC

So pumped for this Alien game. The previous one, I only tried the demo... It was fun, I guess. But the multiplayer is where it's probably dead by now. :(

Zarovitch

Mrbob said:

They said "The device will, at times, become the game's motion tracker."

Tron 2.0

SmithnCo said:
Sounds like it has the potential to elevate the scary parts of the game. I can imagine a Fatal Frame and other horror games using this device to good effect.
Fatal Frame with this would be AWESOME!

Too bad NoA would never fucking release it. [/bitter]

scy

I'm not sure how much I really like the idea of looking away from "the action" to check a map or something that's normally visible. It works for certain games (and I imagine it'll work for something trying to capture a survival-horror vibe or fitting with the "lore") but I'd rather not have to divert too much attention away from "THE ACTION" in the midst of ... well, the action.

Nothing against this, mind you, as I like it here. Just the thought of playing with TV + Controller and using the controller screen more than the TV worries me for lack of better words.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Mrbob said:
I don't want to be sweeping my arms around like an idiot while playing the game.

Somehow I doubt such a feature would involve flailing around on the level of a Kinect title.

Exuro

Vagabundo said:
We can use the wiimote to aim right? Dual Analogue is a dead control scheme to me.
Will be interesting if devs support hybrid controls. Use wiimote/chuk while you have the tablet on your lap or something.

Tron 2.0

Cosmonaut X said:
Yeah, that was such a confusing statement.

Pie Lord

Mrbob said:
It will be optional. In the interview, it was stated that the entire game will be playable on the controller only. If that is the case, then I don't see how they could implement something like that while streaming to the controller. Although it is possible that its only disabled while streaming, rather than being an option that can be toggled on and off.

FoneBone

Cosmonaut X said:
The earlier PR was quite vague. An extract:

I believe Randy Pitchford later came out to say that the PR was couched so vaguely so as not to disrupt announcements etc. by "partners", but it was a lot more wishy-washy than game announcement PR usually is - hence my "likely".
Ah, I totally missed that press release. Utterly bizarre.

Top Bottom