• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 4: all the PC graphics options

Tyaren

Because it only increases hostility between user bases.

I didn't even know there was any hostility regarding this. Last played Gears of War 2 on the good old Xbox360. I'm also coming from the FFXV threads where it is common courtesy to complain all day about how much worse the console versions look compared to the pretty development PC version. :/

Coolade

So I can assume that cross play between Xbox and PC requires the anniversary update for windows 10? If so....yeesh.

Carlius

Banned
Eh idk. I still think long term MS can be very successful on PC. If they start dropping legit ports of awesome games people will deal with UWP. If they manage to release Gears 4, Horizon 3, and Sea of Thieves in excellent condition on PC I think we'll start to see more people support

i agree. ive bought every single game so far in their store and had zero issues with them. will continue to buy from them day 1 as long as these exclusives keep coming to pc.

Corpekata

Banned
So I can assume that cross play between Xbox and PC requires the anniversary update for windows 10? If so....yeesh.

Playing the game (and all Play Anywhere titles) period requires it. IIRC the update had something that was needed so they wouldn't need to hard patch things to support features like Gsync like the other Win 10 games had to do.

WadeitOut

It's a great update. So not sure where the "yeesh" comes from.

And there are probably some syncing things it needs that aren't in previous builds.

Surfinn

Not a Gears fan, but in my experience, the more PC specific options (especially in regard to video settings and keybindings), the better the overall product, in terms of performance and user interaction. Usually means the team put a lot of work into the quality of the overall game.

Great start.

Corpekata

Banned

And there are probably some syncing things it needs that aren't in previous builds.

The Yeesh probably comes from the update breaking a lot of controllers in various games (like Xbox One controllers in various Unity games, the DS4 in general though there's a workaround for it now for some).

Not to mention the various non-gaming related issues it has caused for some.

eman4ever

I didn't even know there was any hostility regarding this. Last played Gears of War 2 on the good old Xbox360. I'm also coming from the FFXV threads where it is common courtesy to complain all day about how much worse the console versions look compared to the pretty development PC version. :/

It's understandable I for one own all consoles and a PC with the specs to run it at 4k so I see what you mean, but at the same time you have to see the other side of the coin where shitty PC ports are in the wild from AAA Devs. Hopefully it ends up great on PC though, cross plat multiplayer would be very nice though in competitive ranked is all i'm saying.

Aurongel

As over the top as this is, I appreciate that they're at least trying to put on a front that they care.

Microsoft on the other hand just don't give an F about your user experience.

nOoblet16

Do you want console players to get crushed horribly?
Tbh Gears is one game where controller players will have advantage over KB/M...even to an unfair degree.

Purely because of the fact that the keyboard is just not as good as an analogue for the type of movement you do in high level Gears play. It's too slow for high level slide cancelling and wall bounce.

And also to some extent that when it comes to aiming there are situations where the slow but uniform movement of analogue sticks brings out an advantage in CQC over the fast and jumpy aim that you have with mouse. It's hard to explain if you aren't a seasoned Gears player yourself but say if when you aim you can make sure that you move the analogue almost exclusively in X axis and very little in the Y axis leading you to make sure that whenever you popshot it's at head level always. This is an advantage in Gears, with a mouse because of the 1:1 free movement it becomes jumpier.

No doubt that mouse players will be better at aiming when it comes to long range battles but in short range, which is where most of the game is...they will have trouble.

I haven't explained it properly but believe me when I say that it's true. The movement alone is the biggest differentiator in these games. Gears is actually my most played game ever with thousands of hours...and even when I play it on PC with a controller I have consistently dominated people.

FOV slider on a Gears of War games?

1xyjD.gif

Hate to be that guy but I'll get it on Steam after it flops on the Windows store. Considering what just happened with Quantum Break there's no way in hell I'm taking the risk of buying it on there and possibly being left with a broken version that won't be updated.

This list of features IS super impressive though and I'm hoping this will have a good MP.

Surfinn

Tbh Gears is one game where controller players will have advantage over KB/M...even to an unfair degree.

Purely because of the fact that the keyboard is just not as good as an analogue for the type of movement you do in high level Gears play. It's too slow.

Also when it comes to aiming there are situations where the slow but uniform movement of analogue sticks brings out an advantage over the fast and jumpy aim that you have with mouse. It's hard to explain if you aren't a seasoned Gears player yourself but say if you have a sniper and you aim you can make sure that you move the analogue almost exclusively in X axis and very little in the Y axis leading you to make sure that whenever you popshot it's at head level. This is a considerable advantage in Gears, with a mouse because of the 1:1 free movement it becomes jumpier.

I haven't explained it properly but believe me when I say that it's true because Gears is my most played game ever...and I even when I play on PC with a controller I have consistently in this game.

I'm pretty sure that's why there's separate sensitivities for free look and aiming (via the mouse). In a shooter I've never seen a situation where aiming, in any respect, is better with a controller.

I think it's just you being so used to using a controller (from your description).

spannicus

Hate to be that guy but I'll get it on Steam after it flops on the Windows store. Considering what just happened with Quantum Break there's no way in hell I'm taking the risk of buying it on there and possibly being left with a broken version that won't be updated.
Im sure the Coalition are going all out to make sure its a good port. You're not losing anything.

UWP integration likely puts a ceiling on the amount of sales.

Sure, I'll take a first party UWP game, but if it's every a 3rd Party game I'll take Boycott for 500.

Thankfully since the Xbone is the losing console this gen, Microsoft doesn't quite have the same clout to pull off nefarious schemes like using GFWL as a blackmail tool (Forcing certain devs to integrate GFWL into their PC ports or be denied in Certification on their 360 version. Or using fraudulent statistics to make GFWL look bigger than Steam to get devs new to the PC space on board their ship - See: Pretty much every Japanese PC port up until the Dark Souls GFWL outcry.) like they did last gen.

At this point I'm certain Steam is big enough and GFWL infamous enough that no developer new to the PC space is going to be fooled into making their game use UWP instead of Steam by way of being told Windows 10 Store has more users than Steam.

WadeitOut

This list of features IS super impressive though and I'm hoping this will have a good MP.

Quantum Break is a third party game. Gears of War is a first party game. So enjoy that wait.

Woah @ the reaction to my post. O:

Guess that was my first bait/shitpost then. :/
That was actually not my intention. Why are you guys so upset about it?

Brother, when your genuine post gets mistaken for a flaming shitpost by several people, it is time to reevaluate your posting habits. And yeah, your post was unnecessary flamebait that no one cares about in this thread.

Hate to be that guy but I'll get it on Steam after it flops on the Windows store.

Such an unnecessarily toxic thought.

Im sure the Coalition are going all out to make sure its a good port. You're not losing anything.

I definitely hope so but given the QB situation I'll be giving it a small period of time at least to see if they continue to update it. It's going to be tough to be honest since I've not played a Gears game in a long time and I'm pretty ready to return to it. These options sure give me hope, my only concerns are on Microsofts end to be honest.

Rizific

well, you heard it here first folks. a controller with analog sticks is superior to a mouse in gears. gears, which is a shooting game.

nOoblet16

I'm pretty sure that's why there's separate sensitivities for free look and aiming (via the mouse). In a shooter I've never seen a situation where aiming, in any respect, is better with a controller.

I think it's just you being so used to using a controller (from your description).

While it may be true that I am used to the controller, it still does not rule out the advantage that analogue brings around when it comes to the movement itself.

And I am a PC gamer first so KB/M is not alien to me.

Surfinn

While that may be true, it still does not rule out the advantage that analogue brings around when it comes to the movement itself.

And I am a PC gamer first so KB/M is not alien to me.

Do you engage in a lot of slow movement? I get the movement advantage because of the nature of analogue vs key press (if there's really that much of one anyway), but not the aiming.

In regard to edit: not sure what you mean really. You can train yourself to move the mouse slower or even lower sensitivity altogether. Really don't think there's a benefit here.

Small detail that could be easily overlooked.

At the bottom of the screen shows information how each individual setting will effect the CPU usage, GPU usage, and VRAM usage.

2dPuX.gif

As a somewhat casual PC gamer, when it comes to graphics settings anyway, this is something that is greatly appreciated.

WadeitOut

Do you engage in a lot of slow movement? I get the movement advantage because of the nature of analogue vs key press (if there's really that much of one anyway), but not the aiming.

But in most cases in Gears you are not using fast twitch precision aiming. unless you are sniping. If I'm not aiming out of cover I am usually just hip firing.

ref

That is how a graphics menu of a PC game should look in 2016.

Beautiful.

Not a huge Gears fan, but seeing a menu like this certainly piqued my interest a lot more.

Sydle

I definitely hope so but given the QB situation I'll be giving it a small period of time at least to see if they continue to update it. It's going to be tough to be honest since I've not played a Gears game in a long time and I'm pretty ready to return to it. These options sure give me hope, my only concerns are on Microsofts end to be honest.

You are aware that the Windows Stores version is going to continue getting updates, right?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262202

nOoblet16

But in most cases in Gears you are not using fast twitch precision aiming. unless you are sniping. If I'm not aiming out of cover I am usually just hip firing.
Yep

I edited my post and mentioned that when it comes to situations where it all comes down to pure aim the mouse would be better...such as long range. But when it comes to CQC a stable reticule's far better because it's all about fast character movement than aim (which you want to do as little as possible in CQC).

Surfinn

What do you mean by this?

I'm assuming that part of the game is moving slower than normal (slower speed in game; its a little more difficult to just tap the keys instead of just lightly press an analogue stick), otherwise I'm not sure what disadvantage you'd have using keys to move. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean.

Right and I get this but I'm still not understanding how a stick would be better for fine tuning your aim. In games like this (BF3/4 for example, which is a lot of firing from close/medium range, no twitch) I just lower my sensitivity.

WadeitOut

Right and I get this but I'm still not understanding how a stick would be better for fine tuning your aim. In games like this (BF3/4 for example, which is a lot of firing from close/medium range, no twitch) I just lower my sensitivity.

Because when I'm popping a dude with a gnasher coming out of a roadie run there is no fine tuning of my aiming.

In gears there is a ton Zoom shoot, zoom shoot, zoom shoot. You typically line up the center of your display with where you know the crosshairs will be when you hit the left trigger.

Coolade

So your experience with the update hasn't had any issues? There was a huge megathread of people experiencing problems with the update on reddit and the nightmare train of issues in the GAF thread that'd made me hold off on updating until I hear everything is in the clear.

WadeitOut

So your experience with the update hasn't had any issues? There was a huge megathread of people experiencing problems with the update on reddit and the nightmare train of issues in the GAF thread that'd made me hold off on updating until I hear everything is in the clear.

I have had zero issues with the Anniversary update either in the insider program or on my machines not in the preview that got it with the general release. I have continuously used an Xbox One controller in several PC games since as well. There are a lot of people in a lot of places that complain about a lot of things in Windows. That is one of the few constants in the world.

Theorry

Everything fine here also. Not saying people dont have issues with the update. But people who have problems most likely post about it. Then people who dont have any problems. :)

nOoblet16

I'm assuming that part of the game is moving slower than normal (slower speed in game; its a little more difficult to just tap the keys instead of just lightly press an analogue stick), otherwise I'm not sure what disadvantage you'd have using keys to move. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean.

The difference is substantial in Gears, because of the way wall cancels and bounce works. In the newer Gears games you could be alternating between left and right as fast as 4-6 times in a second.

I dislike abusing hyperbouncing but this video shows what I am talking about. Every time the character changes the direction is because the player manually changed it using the sticks. You simply cannot alternate between keys this fast. And keep in mind that if you want to move forward while doing this then you have to do diagonal movements in which case you have to alternate between all 4 WASD keys in pairs of two....while also pressing space every single time you alternate for the slide.

https://youtu.be/MobUQ1qt11E

Right and I get this but I'm still not understanding how a stick would be better for fine tuning your aim. In games like this (BF3/4 for example) I just lower my sensitivity.
Because in Gears CQC you actually want to aim as little as possible while moving as fast as possible. This is a minor difference compared to the above and no one except the high level veterans would be able to take advantage of it.

If this is an indication of whats to come for Xbox Play Anywhere titles, I am ecstatic. There are more options provided than I could even think to ask for. Day one!

WadeitOut

I am still so incredibly pumped about Play Anywhere. As someone who likes to game in multiple locations and has a beefy gaming PC with my Ultrawide monitor, being able to go between my game room/office and my 4K living room TV is a godsend. And when I travel and take my console I can just pick up where I left off without needing a beefy gaming laptop.

eman4ever

I am still so incredibly pumped about Play Anywhere. As someone who likes to game in multiple locations and has a beefy gaming PC with my Ultrawide monitor, being able to go between my game room/office and my 4K living room TV is a godsend. And when I travel and take my console I can just pick up where I left off without needing a beefy gaming laptop.

Agreed, the only thing i'm sad about is the no cross plat play on competitive multiplayer. Sooner or later this will be implemented since it seems xbox is moving away from the console market. Correct me if i'm wrong but I read an article stating that it might be their last with the scorpio. If someone can clarify that would be great.

vg260

If they went through all of that effort I assume those settings will be applied to the Scorpio version next Fall

I assume that would optimize the settings and keep them hidden.
Menus like that are the reason a lot of people play on consoles.

I would love to see a few presets on games on the Scorpio, though, like a choice for a 1080p/60 setting, or a higher res/30 so everyone is happy. That's not too overwhelming.

So... For 1080p what do we reckon, Ultra everything on recommended specs? Ideal specs being for 1080 and 4k? If it's a good port that it.

Purely because of the fact that the keyboard is just not as good as an analogue for the type of movement you do in high level Gears play. It's too slow for high level slide cancelling and wall bounce.

And also to some extent that when it comes to aiming there are situations where the slow but uniform movement of analogue sticks brings out an advantage in CQC over the fast and jumpy aim that you have with mouse. It's hard to explain if you aren't a seasoned Gears player yourself but say if when you aim you can make sure that you move the analogue almost exclusively in X axis and very little in the Y axis leading you to make sure that whenever you popshot it's at head level always. This is an advantage in Gears, with a mouse because of the 1:1 free movement it becomes jumpier.

No doubt that mouse players will be better at aiming when it comes to long range battles but in short range, which is where most of the game is...they will have trouble.

I haven't explained it properly but believe me when I say that it's true. The movement alone is the biggest differentiator in these games. Gears is actually my most played game ever with thousands of hours...and even when I play it on PC with a controller I have consistently dominated people.

Wallbouncing is as effective as it is precisely because aiming is difficult with a controller so trying to keep up with an enemy all over the place isn't easy.

I've dominated matches in CSGO with a controller, doesn't mean its a viable option. It just means my opponents were terrible and should uninstall

Top Bottom