• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 4 Run the Jewels airdrop is $20

MrToast

Cynicism tells me they want to see how much they can get away with puling stuff like this. Or maybe it's a price mistake, who knows.

It's supposed to give you everything from a set. I think the set packs can be purchased with credits? I mean, they are listening to the feedback on packs, so they couldn't possibly be doing something worse now, right? Right?

dugdug

Banned
Yeah I don't know what they're thinking with the prices on any of the boxes. Someone at TC needs to call 343 to get some tips.

Tecnniqe

Banned
137593505136.jpg

Quite literally trying to kill their game.
For as good as the PC version is, and it really is great, I was fucking out the day I saw the eSport boxes. Fuck em and their greed.

Remember when El P was the most anti-pop, anti-mainstream dude out there with that first Co Flow album, and his second album full of ear bleeding noise?

Now he's basically Doritos and Mountain Dew.

UberLevi

Daaamn, was super excited to play as Killer Mike and El-P but not at $20. You seriously can't earn new characters with in-game currency for a full price game?

dhonk

Cynicism tells me they want to see how much they can get away with puling stuff like this. Or maybe it's a price mistake, who knows.

That's not cynical, it's realistic. Of course they wanna see what people are willing to put up with price wise.

Games as service model is going to be the future for a long long time because people DO pay tons of money for crap. It's insanity.

Crazy skin prices are kinda Gears' thing. Remember the $99 skin pack in Gears 3?

Edit: Oh wait, you can play as Killer Mike. Buying ASAP

are the character skins at least of El and Mike? If not... who the hell would buy this

OK just google'd the trailer, seems pretty cool but $20 lol

xRaizen

Stopped playing because there wasn't any meaningful progression at all. All the characters, weapon skins, all customization is locked behind microtransactions.

Fucking ridiculous.

MrToast

That's not cynical, it's realistic. Of course they wanna see what people are willing to put up with price wise.

Games as service model is going to be the future for a long long time because people DO pay tons of money for crap. It's insanity.

Oh I know, people need to look at GTA V on most platforms and the mobile market to see this. It's going to get a lot worse and I'm afraid for the quality of future games because of this.

aBarreras

i think we need to know if the rtj can be earned with operational packs and elite packs, because what im understanding here is that this gives you the whole RTJ set, not that it is the only way to acquire it

Overall, I really like the game.

But TC and MS deserve every bit of criticism they get over the microtransactions.

I'm a 'plain Jane' and have no interest in the skins but I know there's a lot of people who do, and they are being preyed upon.

Thewonandonly

i think we need to know if the rtj can be earned with operational packs and elite packs, because what im understanding here is that this gives you the whole RTJ set, not that it is the only way to acquire it

Yup that will change the way this is perceived. If i can still earn killer mike through just playing it then it won't be to bad, but if its locked behind this then that's bullshit.

Jawmuncher

Yup that will change the way this is perceived. If i can still earn killer mike through just playing it then it won't be to bad, but if its locked behind this then that's bullshit.

Cosndering they already did some Esports stuff that was box only, don't be surprised if you can't. Even then earning skins atm that are legendary is one hell of a process.
Getting to level 50 in MP and selling like all of my skins I have been able to buy 1.

Overall, I really like the game.

But TC and MS deserve every bit of criticism they get over the microtransactions.

I'm a 'plain Jane' and have no interest in the skins but I know there's a lot of people who do, and they are being preyed upon.

Im the same. I got my Cole skin through playing and have no interest in the boxes or other skins

Stopped playing because there wasn't any meaningful progression at all. All the characters, weapon skins, all customization is locked behind microtransactions.

Fucking ridiculous.
If you're saying you stopped playing because of the progression..

I find it fascinating that people need the carrot and stick to play a game. What would people do with Gears 1 or Halo 2 that had no progression systems?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cha-ching Cha-ching, that's the sound of the microtransactions.

UwCNmp2.jpg

As i said in other thread, i have no problem with this. In fact, already bought. Should be cheaper, but this is a promotional paid pack. It has every card guaranteed. This is lightyears better than the lotto esport packs with commons and doubles. None of this is necessary. This really isnt much different than buying them in gears 3. Its just packaged in a fancy crate.

The in game packs and credit system still needs work.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I dont even know what Run the Jewels is so I won't be buying this. But I do know enough to know this is stupidly priced.

Seriously Wtf is this game's entire economy. It forces you to choose between cosmetic items or items for progress like bounties and the damn reliance of RNG for horde mode that is borderline Pay-to-win.

This isn't as bad as IW, but Christ, you can't even use the in-game currency for this? Holy hell

How in the world are a bundle of cosmetics items as expensive as or more expensive than most fully fledged DLC/Expansions

Really, really this loot box business is getting out of hand not only in this game but for the industry as a whole. Dang whale's keep on allowing stuff like this to exist.

RoKKeR

The micro transactions in this game are out of control, which is surprising after REQ packs were handled relatively well just last year by 343.

BizzyBum

I find it fascinating that people need the carrot and stick to play a game. What would people do with Gears 1 or Halo 2 that had no progression systems?

It's insane, isn't it?

No longer can a great game be played simply because it's a great game. If there are not a thousand things to unlock it doesn't matter if it's the greatest game of all time, the masses will drop it within a week.

It's funny, really. These are the types of gamers that are to blame for how bad microtransactions have gotten over the years.

It's insane, isn't it?

No longer can a great game be played simply because it's a great game. If there are not a thousand things to unlock it doesn't matter if it's the greatest game of all time, the masses will drop it within a week.

It's funny, really. These are the types of gamers that are to blame for how bad microtransactions have gotten over the years.
It blows my mind honestly.

I mean I can play Versus mode in Gears 4 and probably will, for 100s maybe 1000s of hours while ignoring the lootbox system. As shitty as they are.

But to think people simply play games to fill Xp bars and can't even enjoy a game without it is madness.

Oh come on.

This is totally optional bullshit that's super easy to ignore if you don't want to pay for it.

I don't and the game is still the same without it so who cares.

People are acting like they are required to let you unlock all the post release skins for free, that's not true and not mandatory.

As i said in other thread, i have no problem with this. In fact, already bought. Should be cheaper, but this is a promotional paid pack. It has every card guaranteed. This is lightyears better than the lotto esport packs with commons and doubles. None of this is necessary. This really isnt much different than buying them in gears 3. Its just packaged in a fancy crate.

You have no problem with a $20 loot box?!

You are a sucker.

Remember when El P was the most anti-pop, anti-mainstream dude out there with that first Co Flow album, and his second album full of ear bleeding noise?

Now he's basically Doritos and Mountain Dew.

Yea, God forbid he finally get some recognition and get paid after decades of toiling away in obscurity! Boo that man!!!

Madness

Surely it's Microsoft who are responsible for the products they publish, not TC?

Of course it is. They turned an ODST expansion from Bungie into a full retail release. They prevented Epic from giving out free map packs again etc. Microsodt probably has given Coalition strict post-launch profit margins to meet.

Top Bottom