• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5’s abysmal Steam debut could tell us something about the potential audience for Xbox exclusives on Steam

Sybrix

Shouldn't base what the market thinks about Xbox games on Steam with Gears 5

Gears of War games have been mediocre since GOW3

Very boring now, Gears 4 was crap, their was no hype for Gears 5, it looks pretty but no substance.

I think Halo MCC will be a different story.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'll gladly buy and play the first 3 games on PC if The Coalition will remake them on UE4 and with the same and awesome gameplay, gunplay and level design and visual variety as they did for Gears 5.

Last edited:
Unless we know how much Gears sold on xbox and how many people have it on gamepass, this is all pointless speculation. For all we know maybe it's not doing great in the other platforms. However, it may be correct that the majority bulk of the people on pc got it through game pass, it makes sense, but I don't know how big the difference is. Additionally, like someone else mentioned, it could also mean that people are less willing to get in on pc because they haven't played through the first 4 games, which would actually be my case, I wouldn't even get it through game pass. There are only 8.4k people playing it on Twitch right now, and I am assuming that is across all platforms. This is not a perfect indicator, but I do think it usually provides a good sense of how popular a game is. Finally, the steam reviews are currently sitting on "mixed", which might be driving people away, kinda odd seeing that review aggregators have it around 8.5 and user reviews seem to indicate its a good solid game. Is there anything bad about the steam version? Like, does it require you to connect to some MS service or something? In the end, we can't know for sure until we have data to compare the steam version to the other ones.

What's surprising is the 10k on steam. Like wtf you can play the game for $1 on xbox game pass. Some diehard steam fanboys out here.

petran79

Banned
Gamepass on PC is far from stable compared to Steam, plus steam version requires Windows 7 as opposed to Windows 10 with the latest updates

PC Gamepass could be 1/10th of steam sales

No, what it tells us is that the specifications on their product page is false advertising and that they botched the launch on Steam.

The complaints basically fall into mostly three categories.

1. My game didn't unlock and I paid for the ultimate edition so should have had early access (valid complaint)

Or

2. The specifications page says you don't need the newest windows update and yet I keep getting GW502 error and can't play the game unless I download the newest windows update. (Again valid complaint.)

3. This game keeps crashing and is unplayable (valid complaint)

The mixed reception is also indicative of steam having an open platform with easy to access user reviews which are front and centre on the store page and play a big part in purchases on the platform.

I have played the game myself on xbox one x, I love gears but personally think the game is slightly overrated by the critics as well so that might also be why the user reviews look particularly harsh in comparison to the gaming media.

Last edited:
Gamepass on PC is far from stable compared to Steam, plus steam version requires Windows 7 as opposed to Windows 10 with the latest updates

PC Gamepass could be 1/10th of steam sales
You're crazy dude. Everyone under the sun has taken the $1 deal, its too good to miss. This is not 2004, pc gaming is huge nowdays and I would not be surprised if pc gears 5 players on game pass outnumber the xbox ones. All the popular streamers are playing the pc version.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it could or it could tell us that it's just a shit game or that people aren't interested because they haven't played the others.

Allow gamepass to work on steam and there would be a total opposite reaction. Why pay full price for a game when you can get it on gamepass.

Orta

Banned
GOW has run its course. Stick it on the Playstation and it would be the same story. It's a big hitter on the Xbox for the simple reason there's fuck all worth buying on Microsoft's console.

Why buy it on steam when you can play it with 1$ for 1 month of gamepass? I have no proof but i would bet that numbers on gamepass are gonna be higher than 10k on steam.

Agreed. This is what I think tampered with the sales the most. Why spend full price on it when you can play it in Gamepass for a $1 or $2 instead? I said in another thread, why pay full price when you still can play the game at a fraction of the price?

Phil Spencer said Many times that game pass increase game sales, he is a professional liar.

Yeah, I still really have my doubts with that. After I finish a game on Gamepass, I have minimal desire to go buy it especially if it’s not a really good price or if I gotten used to it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Oviously PC gamers got the game through Gamepass, but I respect M$ for putting Gears 5 on Steam, o

Tesseract

Banned
i'm watching doc stream this on twitch and it looks like garbage, camera swinging around and the goddamn shake when you rodeo

:messenger_confounded:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Why buy it on steam when you can play it with 1$ for 1 month of gamepass? I have no proof but i would bet that numbers on gamepass are gonna be higher than 10k on steam.

Yupe. Bought gamepass just for this. Totally worth it and i plan to stay for a while, at least till Master Chief Collection, or maybe even forever if the game collection becomes even better.

MMaRsu

Banned
I used gamepass but I wouldnt buy it otherwise.. not that big a gears guy

but I wouldnt mind owning the Forza Horizon games on Steam for instance

or Halo :)

MMaRsu

Banned
Wait, Xbox gamers pay for a game subscription service on top of their online service? And they talk about how great it is?

Yikes :messenger_hushed:

on pc u dont have to pay for gold but there was a deal like 2 euro's for a lot of months of ultimate game pass which gives you access to some new games like outer worlds coming soon

sixamp

I play it on game pass, there's no reason to spend $60 on it. Also let's say only 10k people are actually playing it on steam, that's 10,000 more than gears had so it's something.

But to be honest it's not a great game. I hate the roadie running shit. I mainly play for the campaign because multiplayer is shotti heaven. All you need is a shotgun and heads go boom. There's no variety

It’s free through game pass which isn’t steam.

No it's free on the torrents sites, you have to pay the monthly fee on game pass and hope it stays there for a long long time if you consider the service an alternative to ownership. Why do I say that it may go, well this is how services like that work, they rotate the content.

Any way you get three months of game pass for free with a lot of videocards these days, so people can give it a try...

urmie

Steam is for additional bonus sales and more player metrics.
Most PC gamers are not going to pay full price just "to have it on Steam" when GamePass exists AND the fact digital purchases on the console net you a free PC copy because of Play Anywhere.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
You're crazy dude. Everyone under the sun has taken the $1 deal, its too good to miss. This is not 2004, pc gaming is huge nowdays and I would not be surprised if pc gears 5 players on game pass outnumber the xbox ones. All the popular streamers are playing the pc version.

It's not about the price. Anything Microsoft service related in Windows, especially Windows Store is not guaranteed to work and failure rate is very high,often forcing a windows reset. Plus you are forced to upgrade w10 to latest revision every few months for it to work.such updates are risky as they can break Windows.
I don't want to go through that ordeal even if they had Nintendo and PS4 exclusives

jakinov

PC versions of games are already usually lower. Gears franchise was already declining. Most people really into Gears probably going to buy it on console. Game pass.

It’s free through game pass which isn’t steam.

No it's free on the torrents sites, you have to pay the monthly fee on game pass and hope it stays there for a long long time if you consider the service an alternative to ownership. Why do I say that it may go, well this is how services like that work, they rotate the content.

Any way you get three months of game pass for free with a lot of videocards these days, so people can give it a try...

CrisPy2019

I mean everyone who is a gears fan probably had an Xbox.

Alot of people especially because of the gamepass deals probably have gamepass. I got 3 years for free.(still a year left as a code because I can't have more than 3 years active)

There is not much point in buying it right now. Any number on the XBOX physical sales to see how gamepass affected this?

Also dear industry. (In general) You can't just launch something on another platform and expect that to sell. Let people find out first that it even exists on there and that it's gonna stay there. Gears is an awesome port sure but let it find it's audience first.

No point in changing platforms or buying into franchises if they don't stay. Look how stupid third party behaved on Nintendo... inconsistent at best. Grow the fanbase on a new platform and don't give up. If it does not sell it's probably you not the playerbase. (Bad ports, missing features, not enough marketing for that platform, etc.)

Dane

Actually it sold well on steam, it still on top 5 worldwide sellers.

There are many reasons

1) Gamepass

2) Digital version in Microsoft Store gives access to the two platforms and it doesn't use the shitty UWP, also very optimized.

3) Early days issues, steam users are T-zero on that.

4) Sudden chinese withdrawal is one of the biggest reasons, apparently the non chinese reviews average score was 78% positive days ago.

Dane

Unless we know how much Gears sold on xbox and how many people have it on gamepass, this is all pointless speculation. For all we know maybe it's not doing great in the other platforms. However, it may be correct that the majority bulk of the people on pc got it through game pass, it makes sense, but I don't know how big the difference is. Additionally, like someone else mentioned, it could also mean that people are less willing to get in on pc because they haven't played through the first 4 games, which would actually be my case, I wouldn't even get it through game pass. There are only 8.4k people playing it on Twitch right now, and I am assuming that is across all platforms. This is not a perfect indicator, but I do think it usually provides a good sense of how popular a game is. Finally, the steam reviews are currently sitting on "mixed", which might be driving people away, kinda odd seeing that review aggregators have it around 8.5 and user reviews seem to indicate its a good solid game. Is there anything bad about the steam version? Like, does it require you to connect to some MS service or something? In the end, we can't know for sure until we have data to compare the steam version to the other ones.

Twitch is not much is a best indicator, Blair Witch right now is 19k, Astral Chain is just 920.

For a franchise that has not been relevant is it was before, 6.8k (right now) is actually a good number, the first spots are filled with F2P and estabilished GaaS games. Exception to this are SP games like Blair Witch because they are known to yield lots of views for streams and YT videos with their reactions.

Kronos9x

I've always been a Sony guy and never got the chance to play any Gears Of War game. Being a third person shooter fan, i'm playing GOW4 now and it's an amazing game.

I think xbox fans need a little perspective here. I heard " it's not exactly new". Compared to what? COD, Warframe?, MGS5?, Fortnite?, RE4? If there are some franchises similar to this one on Steam i'd love to know about it since GOW's gameplay is nothing special according to some people. I think the gameplay is exactly what makes this franchise good.

Heck, i'd buy a GOW collection on Steam or even MS store if it was available.

Gears never was a hit on PC.
Probably because it was never on PC up until it was remastered.

The hate for Microsoft on this site astounds me. Gears 5 is not a horrible game. I’ve not really been that much of a GOW fan, but this particular entry is damn good.

Last edited:

sn0man

So...

I can’t be the only one who went 360 to PS4. If I walked away from MS this generation it would stand to reason that I’m waiting for a way to play gears4 without Microsoft. Like steam for example.

Until they do that I won’t be ready / interested to start in on gears5.

lukilladog

Probably because it was never on PC up until it was remastered.

The hate for Microsoft on this site astounds me. Gears 5 is not a horrible game. I’ve not really been that much of a GOW fan, but this particular entry is damn good.

The first one released a bit later than the console version with additional content and Epics was pissed because it didn´t sell well.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Meanwhile on the other end of the spectrum i recall halo MCC coming to steam nearly broke the internet so we shall see.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So...

I can’t be the only one who went 360 to PS4. If I walked away from MS this generation it would stand to reason that I’m waiting for a way to play gears4 without Microsoft. Like steam for example.

Until they do that I won’t be ready / interested to start in on gears5.

But why? I was primarily 360 last gen and didn't bother with Xbox this gen (PS4/Switch/PC), but I'm happy as fuck I can play Xbox games on my PC now. I bought Gears 4 at full price and am playing 5 on Gamepass. I don't really give a fuck if I'm paying Microsoft or Valve or Epic, if I can play a game on the best platform, I want to play it there.

I want games like Halo and Gears on PC and I'm happy with that, what does it have to do with going from 360 to PS4? PS4 was a better value prop and XBone didn't really give me a reason to buy one. That doesn't mean I'm going to have to pick sides or some shit when it comes to playing the franchies I loved back in the 360 days

Kagey K

Banned
If Gears 5 launch is abysmal on steam what does that say about every game ranking below it?

They are worse then abysmal? Because most Steam games don’t hit even close to that number ever, with no competition.

Kenpachii

Problem 1:

0016c3e706c43cf3597969c7a22ace0e.png

Problem 2:

05d886d4c544c0e5f390b58bd2e24e2d.png

Problem 3:

c5e03cf4ac6199dce600592ec2b6a2c8.jpg

Problem 4:

8af209777e17633acb203985b994552c.jpg

In other words.

I am shocked.

Top Bottom