• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Hivebusters DLC is 10 times better than Gears 4 & 5 campaigns combined

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So I guess I will write this, because that was unexpected to me. I was playing/grinding, what's left after finish in Cyberpunk, got notification that Gears 5 is playable, which was kind of weird when I did not install it newly. So I went and check it out, since Quick Resume, I don't really care about launching something new just to check and then go back to what I was playing. I saw that the DLC is ready for me to play thanks for having GamePass Ultimate (if you don't, it's 20 bucks), so why not start it just to check it out. Well long story short I finished it within one sitting. It's really good, really action packed, without regressing to the Gears 4 "clean the room, go to next one, clean that one, rinse and repeat" style of shitty game design. You move fast here, lot of enemies, it's more challenging that other game solo...which I have probably never played from start to finish solo. But here you get cool abilities, which makes it more manageable and it also makes game more varied. This game also features some big boss, which is something which was not really present in last two games, it almost feels like which Gears should be after the OG trilogy. But we know how it went... Characters are pretty good, it's that team which is featured in OG game in Escape mode and this DLC is basically story of Escape mode.Nothing fancy, but it goes well with the gameplay. All in all, I really recommended if you want shoot some shit, it took me 6 hours to complete with some pauses and it felt...tight and at no point game felt like it drags.

I also thinks that game looks rather sweet in graphics department, while running at 60FPS, also HDR is excellent, but that I cannot show you here (XSX):
15.12.2020_18-58-10-j5ej0t.png

(pic is from the beginning so please no spoiler whoring@me)

Here is trailer:

Recommended

Edit: Seems like it's first game, which is using Velocity APIs, because load time was less than 10 second (by my estimate like 5, but I don't have clock in my brain), which is less than what Gears 5 has now in single player campaign.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Sweet, I'm waiting for Series X to arrive to start Cyberpunk and this DLC in full glory.
What does this all mean? Gears 6 has a chance to impress us like 5, didn't like 4.

M1chl

Sweet, I'm waiting for Series X to arrive to start Cyberpunk and this DLC in full glory.
What does this all mean? Gears 6 has a chance to impress us like 5, didn't like 4.
Yeah guy who fucked up Biohock infinite and 2 Gears after that is out of the picture, so it seems like it's improving. This really felt like something from Gears 3. Really enjoyed it, way more than I expected.

Didn’t even know what it was. Got on to play Gears 5 campaign just for fun and seen it.

So far it is at least better than 4, but 5... idk. The pacing is off and encounters are very predictable. I don’t mean you can tell when enemies will appear, that is just Gears lol.

I mean the waves in a particular in an area. “The enemies will now come out of this hole in the wall next. Wow those enemies are weak, better face the other way now”

Shouldn’t be like that the first playthrough.

Game is incredibly gorgeous.

Actually this is the first new content I played on my Series X. Everything else was played on Xbox One before or PC.

I've heard many great things about this DLC. I'm extremely lazy to play Gears 4 to continue the Story up to Gears 5. I'll complete it during Christmas and then reach the DLC soon

M1chl

Can this be played without the main game? In other words is it stand alone?
Edit: I fucked it up, I thought the question was different you have to have Gears 5...

Don’t let any warriors know, but I’m pretty desperate to play s9mething new on my XSX after the letdown of that buggy game.
And yeah it's good antidote to Cyberpunk honestly, I enjoyed it a lot.

Last edited:

M1chl

Not entirely sure, but also this game might have some RT lite or maybe it's just Cubemaps, but in metalic object you can see yourself even with those lights you have on yourself.... Hopefully there will be some NXGamer NXGamer or D dark10x analysis : )

PuffyCan

Is it just me or did this DLC came out of nowhere? I dont't remember seeing any ads /trailer for this in any Microsoft event. This is really a nice surprise, good to hear it's atvleast as good if not better than gears 5 since I loved it.

Concern

Its not saying much by saying its better than 4 or 5. I couldn't even finish 5's camp⁰campaign. Granted I'll give it another shot and try the dlc when the xsx gets here.

The dlc for gears 2 with the theron guards was actually pretty good back then too. Hopefully this is as well. Then again one of my biggest problems is Kait...... I can't stand that bitch lol.

Greeno

Yeah guy who fucked up Biohock infinite and 2 Gears after that is out of the picture, so it seems like it's improving. This really felt like something from Gears 3. Really enjoyed it, way more than I expected.
You do realize that Rod worked on all the Gear games (including Judgement) , right? He may have slacked lately, but he was a really good producer in the early to late 2000s.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Is it really worth 20 bucks for the 3 hours?
No but it’s definitely worth gamepass.

i had a blast finished it last night in 1 sitting.
The coalition needs better writers.
The story is cheesy as hell Sony is still ahead of facial animation.

what they nailed.

the environments are crazy good.
Srsly this is uncharted / indiana jones kinda crazy.
The graphics are insane.
I had more fun with this expansion then Gow 4 and 5 combined.

you guys HAVE to play this.
This will be the future i think for gamepass.
Short high octane DLC stuff max 3 hours. And then every month we get a bit. To keep people subbed. (I dont like that)

but if we get gears 6 this is def a good direction!

woopwoopdd.jpg

Fake RT still looks dope as heck

Last edited:

Dazraell

Planning to play it soon. I really enjoyed what they did in the past with RAAM's Shadow. Hope Hivebusters will be a fun experience as well.

RobRSG

Did any of you guys checked if the PC version includes the fancy Global Ilumination that Xbox Series X got?

I haven’t played a Gears since Gears 3, but I played 4 hours of Gears 4 for the first time tonight. The “Enhanced for Xbox One X” version.

Holy shit at the weather effects, destructible cover, and amount of stuff happening on screen at one time in the outdoor scenes.

I know this is still “old gen” but very few games have felt this “next gen” to me.

Nice. I’ve been going a Gears play through because I only ever finished 1 and Tactics, and the entire series is playable on Series X. So far I played Judgement and Tactics and am halfway through the original and I am finding it hard to continue, everything is so dark and the mechanics so old. I can’t wait to get to 4 and 5.

Top Bottom