• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Hivebusters DLC is 10 times better than Gears 4 & 5 campaigns combined

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This free on Gamepass? Not to sound like a cheap fuck, but the service has conditioned me to almost never buy games at all. It's kinda incredible how much money I've saved as a result. Thousands over the last year since I joined the ecosystem. Only bought ESO's Chapter and Remnant and maybe one other game. Also, length? Like, Gears is a fun couple of afternoons for me, though I'm loathe to spend $20 on a 3 hour adventure.
Having GP Ultimate? If so, it's free.

Sygma

So people are now ready to accept 4 & 5 were Ok entries at best...

Didn't play 4 but GoW 5 was an outdated game on every single aspect outside of the purely technical side of affairs. So fucking boring. This DLC seems promising, gonna give it a shot

Last edited:

s-bojan

Banned
I almost stopped playing at the end of the chapter 1.
Playing on hard and I've died a few times.
If you die, you have to watch a stupid cut-scene and go through tutorial screens again.

We are not in 2000s anymore guys ;).

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
It's probably not going to hurt post 2 additional screenshots : )

16.12.2020_4-18-22-x03eklo.png

16.12.2020_4-19-32-iiu5kit.png
I took a couple of screenshots on my xbox earlier but cannot find them on xbox.com.. Where did you get yours from?

M1chl

I took a couple of screenshots on my xbox earlier but cannot find them on xbox.com.. Where did you get yours from?
I uploaded those from console to Onedrive, it's pretty comfortable for such use.

MrFunSocks

Banned
They should have made this a standalone Expansion "launch game" :messenger_beaming:
Only possible on Series X!

*also available on Xbox One

Haven't played yet, probably won't tbh lol. Love gears, but couldn't give 2 shits about the campaigns. All about that multiplayer. Didn't play more than an hour or 2 of Gears 4s campaign, haven't touched 5s.

The problem with Miles is you can finish it in a day or so, 100% it in less than a week, and then you're left with nothing but a PS3 remake as your marquee launch title.

That makes it the "best launch games ever" according to GAF though lol.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I haven’t played a Gears since Gears 3, but I played 4 hours of Gears 4 for the first time tonight. The “Enhanced for Xbox One X” version.

Holy shit at the weather effects, destructible cover, and amount of stuff happening on screen at one time in the outdoor scenes.

I know this is still “old gen” but very few games have felt this “next gen” to me.

Thats a shame because sadly Gears 5 steps it down across the board.

FeldMonster

They were both good, 4 got really hurt due to terrible pacing and the start of the game being really dull (dunno bout you but the robot enemies are boring as fuck).
5 was good, I liked the choice to tackle small skirmishes as you like, just that the game world was too big and not really enough reason for it it be so. They could have had user selected random sections but without the bland romp to get there.
If the Coalition will continue working on Gears' properties I really hope they will read the books and include something from the Pesanga, that whole part of the Gears universe seems missed and could open up the combat quite a bit..

iKs3aio.jpg
This is the way.

There is just something so awesome about these tiny, silent, sure footed, machete wielding, nonchalant killing machines (like Bai Tak) that is always so endearing in the novels.

Playing as a Pesanga in the Gears of War universe would allow entirely different gameplay without eliminating the gameplay and style of the big, hulking, COG that most of us love. A Pesanga should have been the protagonist to Gears of War 5 instead of Cry Diaz.

M1chl

but is it worth me redownloading 111GB? lol
You don't need to redownload that much, you download I think 50GBs and then jump into game and you choose what to download and what not, you can safe quite a bit of downloading/storage.

I'm surprised they didn't think about making Gears open-world RPG with more movement fluidity.
Well it's certainly appealing idea, if done greatly, but I would really rather linear action, like this DLC presented.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
The way characters move in GOW wouldn't work in a on open world.

They would have to change the feel of the game entirely, and then it will no longer be GOW.

There's plenty of open world games, but there's no other game like GOW.
True, the GOW is definitely a unique franchise. I still remember first time I played it on X360. Should I replay each game before jumping into 5?

Dibils2k

Lab were excellent, but open world aspect to it, really makes it feel lacking in my opinion. If it would like those linear levels, which is in the game, it would be excellent. If that make sense. Like a classic Gears campaign.
yeah while i appreciate the fact they tried something new, i dont think the open world sections added to the game in a positive way

kuncol02

Banned
Lab were excellent, but open world aspect to it, really makes it feel lacking in my opinion. If it would like those linear levels, which is in the game, it would be excellent. If that make sense. Like a classic Gears campaign.
In open world levels I had feeling similar to one I had when I played GoW4. You could see that it was their first time (even if there was nothing inherently bad there) and that they played it safe and relatively small in scope. If they would make jump in quality of open world as big as between GoW4 and linear parts of Gears 5 then Gears 6 or whatever they next game will be has chance to be one of best open world games ever made.
Coalition is now probably best MS studio and one of best on whole industry.

In open world levels I had feeling similar to one I had when I played GoW4. You could see that it was their first time (even if there was nothing inherently bad there) and that they played it safe and relatively small in scope. If they would make jump in quality of open world as big as between GoW4 and linear parts of Gears 5 then Gears 6 or whatever they next game will be has chance to be one of best open world games ever made.
Coalition is now probably best MS studio and one of best on whole industry.

I think at this point, using/wasting assets on open world elements is too risky.

Gears is clearly at it's best being the (mostly) linear, stop & pop blockbuster that it is. No other game does it as well.

Let an open-world Gears be a spinoff of some sort.

What I'd like them to do in Gears 6 is to overhaul the player animations. Besides that, the series is still clearly the goods in my eyes.

kuncol02

Banned
I think at this point, using/wasting assets on open world elements is too risky.

Gears is clearly at it's best being the (mostly) linear, stop & pop blockbuster that it is. No other game does it as well.

What I'd like them to do in Gears 6 is to overhaul the player animations. Besides that, the series is still clearly the goods in my eyes.
I'm not saying that they should make open world game, but that judging by how big jump in game quality is between Gears 4 and 5 (from okayish game with some really good elements to top 3 of first person shooters of generation) they have chance to make some really great open world (and maybe finally someone would break that ubisoft mould which is really played to death at this point) They don't even need to make it huge, Gothic for example has really small world and did more with it than many other bigger games wouldn't even dare to dream of.

Royal-Slime

Banned
I've looked at it and honestly did not feel interested. I've played Gears of War 1-3 back in the day, enjoyed them to an extent but wouldn't call them my favorite games. I think the female protagonist in Gears 5 brings out a different side of Gears of War and appeals to a different audience which does play these games, too. I've played only a little bit so far but I think this is one Gears of War game that I'll actually keep in my library and consider one of my favorites.

The DLC, on the other hand, doesn't really interest me. The characters seem a little bland. I'll get it if the DLC ever goes down to 2-5$ on sales.

I agree about "Gears should be linear", though. All I want when playing shooter / high-action types of games is to not get distracted from the action. Open-world works in beautiful games like Zelda, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy or something like Witcher, Red Dead where you know the developers know how to make the world interesting to explore... but in Gears it's best not to do that. Just give me action <_<

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

That's exactly what I would want. Keep Gears, true to Gears (and get rid of Cait) but also give us a new story and characters in an open world spinoff.

I really, REALLY want to see this with Halo even more. There is so much great lore and new stories that could be told in a Halo open world RPG. Just make sure one of the numerous excellent RPG studios XGS has now makes it and don't let 343 anywhere near it.

point decay

its a real shame this wasn't ready for the Series X/S launch, its probably the best thing MS have put out this year (Flight Sim aside), the pacing is much improved over the original campaign.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I've only done the first chapter but this seems really well done and has some stunning graphics. I'm looking forward to finishing it up this weekend. The Gears games get shit on a lot here usually, but I've always had a ton of fun with each one.

its a real shame this wasn't ready for the Series X/S launch, its probably the best thing MS have put out this year (Flight Sim aside), the pacing is much improved over the original campaign.

Ori 2 is the best Ms release for me this year.
But as to why this wasn't available at launch..? It probably was simply slated to release when it released.
I mean its only been 5 weeks since launch. 'Launch window' is what, 3 months these days?
What difference does it make when these consoles sell out no matter what's available on launch day?
They dropped it before the holiday which is the most important thing. A quality release like this definitely softens the blow of Halo being delayed.

M1chl

That's exactly what I would want. Keep Gears, true to Gears (and get rid of Cait) but also give us a new story and characters in an open world spinoff.

I really, REALLY want to see this with Halo even more. There is so much great lore and new stories that could be told in a Halo open world RPG. Just make sure one of the numerous excellent RPG studios XGS has now makes it and don't let 343 anywhere near it.
Kait isn't all that bad.
Balanced-protein-energy-diet-may-offer-low-cost-feed-for-farmed-shrimp_wrbm_large.jpg

JD is bigger bitch

Top Bottom