• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Hivebusters DLC is 10 times better than Gears 4 & 5 campaigns combined

Fake

IMO both Gears 4 and Gears 5 are bad, so IDK if this is really an achievement, but still agree.

I guess the set really helps a lot.

Last edited:
This is so good. Looks incredible, and while I am not one to analyse frame rates and resolutions, seems to run flawlessly.

I did like Gears 5 too, could have lived without the open world bits.

I hope this kind of thing is done more on GamePass - keep dropping short episodes in between main titles. There’s absolutely no need to wait years for a new full title (I remember making almost this exact post about Witcher 3, which I could have carried on playing forever), have a team producing regular ‘episodes’ to keep the interest up between main entries. I imagine that’s part of the plan for Halo Infinite and I definitely approve.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
IMO both Gears 4 and Gears 5 are bad, so IDK if this is really an achievement, but still agree.

I guess the set really helps a lot.
I purposefully said it relatively to those games, I did not evaluated it like a globally.

skneogaf

Just tried this on maximum settings at 4k so insane when possible and ultra everything else. I was only able to achieve 35 fps on a 9700k 2080ti lg oled combo.

It looks absolutely amazing at those settings in hdr and the dolby atmos audio on my 7.2.4 set up is demo quality.

I ended up tweaking the settings to achieve 60fps and it still looks unreal.

When I upgrade to a 3090 or 3080ti I'll definitely be revisiting this to see it at 4k 120hz.

M1chl

Just tried this on maximum settings at 4k so insane when possible and ultra everything else. I was only able to achieve 35 fps on a 9700k 2080ti lg oled combo.

It looks absolutely amazing at those settings in hdr and the dolby atmos audio on my 7.2.4 set up is demo quality.

I ended up tweaking the settings to achieve 60fps and it still looks unreal.

When I upgrade to a 3090 or 3080ti I'll definitely be revisiting this to see it at 4k 120hz.
Post some screens? : )

TomoItagaki

Neo Member
Just finished it on Insane, a pretty good game, way better than 5.
I really hope they take notes from this one. Also, does anyone recommend Tactics for someone who likes gears, but doesn't really enjoy strategy games?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Played a little on my Series S and I'm impressed how it looks on that. So I stopped and I'm going to play it on my Series X today
. I also had a go on multiplayer and don't get me wrong I'm far from any multiplayer expert and I've only had a little dabble in MP on Gears now and then over the last 4 years. But wow! was I impressed with how slick and responsive the controls are (Series S). Feel super slick and I can't remember them being this good the last I played on XB1X about a year ago.
I also notice they added Dolby Atmos. I know it was on Gears 4 but now its showing up on this.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just finished it on Insane, a pretty good game, way better than 5.
I really hope they take notes from this one. Also, does anyone recommend Tactics for someone who likes gears, but doesn't really enjoy strategy games?

Its not the best tactics game on the market but it is solid. If you aren't in to the genre that much but still want to give it a shot I would try on easy. The game can be really unforgiving at times even on normal if you are not used to how these games like to challenge you and might make you rage quit.

M1chl

Played a little on my Series S and I'm impressed how it looks on that. So I stopped and I'm going to play it on my Series X today
. I also had a go on multiplayer and don't get me wrong I'm far from any multiplayer expert and I've only had a little dabble in MP on Gears now and then over the last 4 years. But wow! was I impressed with how slick and responsive the controls are (Series S). Feel super slick and I can't remember them being this good the last I played on XB1X about a year ago.
I also notice they added Dolby Atmos. I know it was on Gears 4 but now its showing up on this.
As far as I know Gears 4+ have it by default. Dolby Atmos that is.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
As far as I know Gears 4+ have it by default. Dolby Atmos that is.
I don't think it was on there, at least when I had my Atmos soundbar 4 months ago. I remember looking for it and thinking its not on 5 and I don't remember it being on the intro and I searched net for Atmos supported games and I also checked the details on the store and it was not listed. But me saying that you could be right.

M1chl

I don't think it was on there, at least when I had my Atmos soundbar 4 months ago. I remember looking for it and thinking its not on 5 and I don't remember it being on the intro and I searched net for Atmos supported games and I also checked the details on the store and it was not listed. But me saying that you could be right.
Well I only using that with headphones, but also Gears 4 was since launch in the Dolby Atmos app, so thats what I am basing my observation on...

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Well I only using that with headphones, but also Gears 4 was since launch in the Dolby Atmos app, so thats what I am basing my observation on...
Arrh you see I noticed it wasn't on 5 and thought it was strange as I knew it was on 4. Maybe it just wasn't listed and not on intro.

Edit I just watched a intro from last year and it on there. I dunno how I missed that :)

Last edited:

pr0cs

Also, does anyone recommend Tactics for someone who likes gears, but doesn't really enjoy strategy games?
If you have gamepass then it's a no-brainer, I didn't find it too hard, most of the time I just made bad choices and paid dearly for them.
The characters are good and the story decent for a tactics type game, by the end I had a handful of really tricked out characters that I felt attached to and had good strategy for, personally I think it's worth playing and a good way for Microsoft to expand the Gears universe.

TomoItagaki

Neo Member
Its not the best tactics game on the market but it is solid. If you aren't in to the genre that much but still want to give it a shot I would try on easy. The game can be really unforgiving at times even on normal if you are not used to how these games like to challenge you and might make you rage quit.
If you have gamepass then it's a no-brainer, I didn't find it too hard, most of the time I just made bad choices and paid dearly for them.
The characters are good and the story decent for a tactics type game, by the end I had a handful of really tricked out characters that I felt attached to and had good strategy for, personally I think it's worth playing and a good way for Microsoft to expand the Gears universe.

Thanks for answering, guys! I'll definitely give it a try then.

M1chl

I already finished this DLC 3 times for some reason and it might be my favorite Gameplay this year. I am not saying that it's something grandious or that it's something deep. None of that, it's straight up action, it reminds me old school Uncharted without all of that cinematics (those are there, but those are short and the "cinematic" atmosphere is mainly presented through beatiful levels.)

I did not really expected this sort of Gears comeback, they are definitely on the right track.

Also the low latency PR was not bullshit, this game plays and looks like a dream on my LG CX. I guess sometimes it's just fun to pop heads of some aliens and just blow shit up. If you have GP Ultimate or own Gears, I highly recommend you to play this shit. Don't expect some greatly written game, but if you want just to have fun, you probably not going to get anything better on consoles right now.

Also tools showed up.

10times better ? Nice joke Lol

Characters are bad compared to base games and dlc overall is alright. Looks stunning though.

Its good fun ride but i enjoyed Gears 4 and 5 way more. Games got problems but not bad games plus i love Kate :)

TheKratos

Holy hyperbole batman. I'm glad I got gamepass if I spent money on this because of the hyperbole in the OP I would be pissed if I actually spent money on it.

The DLC is same level of Gears 5 story with lots of slow cinematic bs walks to pad up the length. Super short DLC with only few notable moments. Looks and runs great though, even on SS.

I agree it’s about the same level as Gears 5 (with a graphical upgrade), but then Gears 5 was underrated (or more accurately, criticised mainly by people who hadn’t played it because ‘gears forza halo hur hur’).

This and Cyberpunk though have been my first Atmos experiences in gaming since I upgraded my sound system - now that is a big step up!

M1chl

10times better ? Nice joke Lol

Characters are bad compared to base games and dlc overall is alright. Looks stunning though.

Its good fun ride but i enjoyed Gears 4 and 5 way more. Games got problems but not bad games plus i love Kate :)
Holy hyperbole batman. I'm glad I got gamepass if I spent money on this because of the hyperbole in the OP I would be pissed if I actually spent money on it.

The DLC is same level of Gears 5 story with lots of slow cinematic bs walks to pad up the length. Super short DLC with only few notable moments. Looks and runs great though, even on SS.
I guess opinions and all that stuff, maybe it's just that it came in the right moment for me.

hollams

Gold Member
I played solo and it was decent. Each chapter followed the same progression so it was just ok. I really didn't like the dialog, at first they were at each others throats then just each mission you heard each persons story and it felt forced and didn't flow too well. The graphics were pretty and the combat was fluid.

Hivebusters was pretty solid. Kind of the best Gears content I've played in a while. It was nothing amazing, but Gears 4/5 were so lame to me. Lame weapons, lame story, lame characters ect. Hivebusters pretty much avoided that. Really liked having the characters have abilities, added a real team synergy element. So much so that it's surprising it hasn't been in gears before. Since one character can resupply ammo, it made hanging unto kits you like much easier. Didn't have to settle for the shitty robot guns. The story and characters were whatever, but not having the Gears 4 cast is already an upgrade.

Looked great on my PC and solid on the One X. Should look really good on the series X.

SkylineRKR

I really enjoyed Gears 5 campaign. I beat it yesterday and now put close to an hour in Hivebusters.

Gears 5 is one of the best looking games I have played, and this is on Series S. I didn't care much for the cast, but my reference is the OG trilogy and these guys do have more personality. I think Bailey was solid as Kait. And Marcus was good as a grumpy father.

The open world stuff was overdone, I liked it in Act 2 still, also because of the breathtaking snow vistas, but I was done with it in Act 3 and its kinda ugly red desert. All the closed levels were good though, most set pieces as well. I liked the part where you fight off this big monsters, while constantly dropping down on the launch base. Gameplay is okay, i'm not too much a fan of Gears FOV and shoulder shooting but I got used to it again. Jack's abilities were cool, Flash freeze is broken as fuck (one shots Wardens, essentially). AI is really dumb though, once you abuse the stealth perk.

But, looking forward to continue with HB. It was fun so far and the class abilities seem to be more teamplay centered.

RPS37

Ultimate ability upgrades glitched out for anyone else? It like...didn’t let me keep any upgrades from the second chapter.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I can't wait to play this. Hearing that it's very similar to past Gears of Wars also gives me some hope that Gears 6 will be similar to that... in that Gears doesn't need to be open world in any way, shape, or form and I hope it goes back to four player co-op with a lot of party options (like in Gears 3 Q_Q)

But that's getting off topic... the Hivebusters (Escape) aspect in Gears 5 was one of my favorite things about the game so I'm definitely interested in playing a DLC campaign around it. I'm just trying to decide if I should wait until I can get my 4K TV or if I should just play it on a not as good TV lol

Last edited:

pr0cs

Finished it a few days ago. Liked the characters and their backstories, nice segue into the game mode I thought. Very good graphics and effects, maybe even better than 5 which was very pretty in its own right.
I liked the length, if this is the future of gamepass (plus multiplayer content) then I'm on board.

Working my through Gears 5 (first time) and quite enjoying it...and the visuals are top notch. And it seems things go up another notch in the Hivebusters DLC, eh? Can’t wait.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Maybe someone can help me out.
Everytime I start the game it starts right from the beginning, even if I have gone far into the chapter earlier. Do we need to complete a whole chapter for the game to save? Or does it save frequently and there is something wrong on my side?

M1chl

Maybe someone can help me out.
Everytime I start the game it starts right from the beginning, even if I have gone far into the chapter earlier. Do we need to complete a whole chapter for the game to save? Or does it save frequently and there is something wrong on my side?
That's weird, but I think that first chapter has weird save, that it's saved first time after that beach scene.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
That's weird, but I think that first chapter has weird save, that it's saved first time after that beach scene.

Beach scene? the max I have gone till now is when the 'swarm' of flying things attacks you for the first time (soon after you reach the downed plane). So the game saves for the first time after that?

M1chl

Beach scene? the max I have gone till now is when the 'swarm' of flying things attacks you for the first time (soon after you reach the downed plane). So the game saves for the first time after that?
Yeah where the downed plane is. It's probably some bug which I hope they fix.

Top Bottom