• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Is 'Grounded in Diversity' Says Director as Players Praise LGBT, Disability Representation

brap

Banned
Xbros stay winning. Sony needs to step it up with their representation!

Gears 5's developers are making a big effort to make it the most accessible entry in the Gears of War franchise. This includes having 19 different Pride flags available as banners in the Gears 5 multiplayer mode.“At The Coalition, we believe that gaming is for everyone. And we believe that gaming is better when we embrace the things that make us unique and respect diverse perspectives,” The Coalition studio head Rod Fergusson tells IGN in a statement.

“Gears of War is a series grounded in diversity, and we’re proud to celebrate it in our characters and our players. The ‘Gears 5’ team was incredibly passionate about including flags representing the different aspects of Pride and we’re thrilled players can show up as their authentic selves while playing.”

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It is very important for everyone to be able to fly flags in online matches that show which of the 19 (!) sexualities they follow. How else can someone let everyone know they are a pansexual non-binary whatever.

Unless you’re straight. They didn’t add a flag for that.

MS deserve praise for their disability options. Stuff like the adaptive controller is a boon to those less able. My friend's daughter is wheelchair bound and heavily disabled and this opened up a lot of options for her, especially on PC. And the more options for deaf folks, the better! The pride flag banners in Gears 5 are a minor addition, probably didn't take much effort to implement, but it's not something I'd slap on my in-game profile personally.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
The disability options = awesome

The pride flags = ugh. Don’t get the point of broadcasting to the world what kinds of people you like to fuck or what your downstairs situation is like but I guess that’s just my C I S W H I T E M A L E P R I V I L E G E

XBox Live in 2009: “Hahah you’re gay”
XBox Live in 2019: “Hahah I’m gay”

Banned
Microsoft is doing amazing work when it comes to focusing on differently-abled people being given the opportunity to enjoy gaming. Their accessibility controller is a great concept, and G5 is hopefully the beginning of a consistent trend.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm OK with this. Hopefully it keeps the REEtards from starting one of their usual outrage orgies while not shitting up the campaign with some pointless SJW side saga.

Stimpak

The irony of this makes me rock hard.
PBlmA6v.jpg

I’m wondering when they’ll retcon Dom and Maria’s marriage for enforcing patriarchy and/or gender stereotypes

Disability options are great. Kudos to Microsoft for that.

As for diversity, yes, they are right too. It's very original and innovative having a strong female character in the leading role. Who might have guessed that.

I don't think this guy realize that Gears of War is a series that is all ultra violence.
Show your authentic self while brutalizing in trashy and gruesome ways your opponents...right.

Puskas

I don't think this guy realize that Gears of War is a series that is all ultra violence.
Show your authentic self while brutalizing in trashy and gruesome ways your opponents...right.
Previously, you could only tea bag downed players. Now you can do it while waving pride flags too.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I don’t get the people that get upset over this. I haven’t played the game, but how can it bother you? Does it make the game worse?

I'm glad to see the accessibility features of the game get praise.

As for people's constant need to enlighten the entire world how they like to use/abuse their genitalia? The Coalition just gave an inch. If the next game doesn't have MORE representation there will probably be protests outside their offices.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Oops double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom