• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Is 'Grounded in Diversity' Says Director as Players Praise LGBT, Disability Representation

Dabaus

Banned
at this point i dont think MS cares about sales. I think they would rather have people paying for xbox gamepass/live and their subscription services.

I agree but without hardware sales, who is there to play the games? I mean i know they expanded games pass to pC but if that was really taking off i think we would have had a triumphant PR release by now.

dilbag

I agree but without hardware sales, who is there to play the games? I mean i know they expanded games pass to pC but if that was really taking off i think we would have had a triumphant PR release by now.
Yeah i have no idea maybe their end game is to expand gamepass to other platforms or maybe they are putting their eggs in the Xcloud basket?

Gears of War of all franchises. The one that was over-the-top with its masculinity has been turned into LGBT propaganda by Microsoft.

I'm glad 2 out of the big 3 are Japanese. The US has done lost its freaking mind.

Ehh I would say, at this point, Sony is gone.

On the other hand, God bless Nintendo:

“Making political statements are for other people to do, we want people to smile and have fun when they play our games.”

Gibbs

It is very important for everyone to be able to fly flags in online matches that show which of the 19 (!) sexualities they follow. How else can someone let everyone know they are a pansexual non-binary whatever.

Unless you’re straight. They didn’t add a flag for that.

We really gonna do this "straight flag" bullshit?

Jesus gamers are petty as hell. Being gay is hard enough with the bullshit laws, discrimination,hate, and the list goes on and you're worried about a damn flag that means nothing? Get the fuck over it.

Did you ever wonder that gaming is an escape for some of us? To see that we matter is nice. Be thankful you don't need to fight for straight rights.

Barakov

Gold Member
Ehh I would say, at this point, Sony is gone.

On the other hand, God bless Nintendo:
Based.

I think more than politics, it's bringing modern day virtue signaling of said politics into games. I think politics can be part of the plot without giving people who are playing your game a lecture. I think most people play games for fun and getting a lecture from your entertainment is not fun.

Dabaus

Banned
Yeah i have no idea maybe their end game is to expand gamepass to other platforms or maybe they are putting their eggs in the Xcloud basket?

Neither do they. Theyre throwing as much crap against the wall as possible hoping something, anything sticks. The fact this thread even exists is proof of that.

brap

Banned

Jesus gamers are petty as hell. Being gay is hard enough with the bullshit laws, discrimination,hate, and the list goes on and you're worried about a damn flag that means nothing? Get the fuck over it.

Did you ever wonder that gaming is an escape for some of us? To see that we matter is nice. Be thankful you don't need to fight for straight rights.
Do you ever wonder that gaming is an escape for lots of people that play it? But keep playing the victim because some people don't like your flags.

Katsura

People are discriminated against for a plethora of reasons and most of them do not enjoy special protection under law. Gay people do. Why are we petty for wanting a straight pride flag? Why do you get to show your pride of your sexuality and we don't? Why are you ok with blatant discrimination? For someone claiming to be in a group that's discriminated against you sure seem to lack empathy when it's not all about you

royox

Did you ever wonder that gaming is an escape for some of us?

It's also an escape for the rest of the world, I don't need to be playing a game and telling every other player where I put my dick into. It's not important for me, I don't care about LGBTIOPQRSTUVWXYZ stuff and looks like I have to be reminded about all this bullshit on every game I play now. I want to kill aliens, slay dragons or be a super hero not knowing if a Robot is a "they/them" or if another player considers himself an Apache Helicopter.

Being gay is hard enough

WELLCOME TO PLANET EARTH where life is shit and hard for almost everybody! You think I had an easyer life for just being a guy that loves fucking women?? I don't pity any of you or other LGBTIOPQRSTUVWXYZ people sorry, you are not special and your lives are not harder than any other person. Everybody has it's own shit to deal with, you maybe had your "gayness" stuff, I had other stuff. Using your own words:

Get the fuck over it.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned

For being so hard to be gay, you sure seem upset about straight flags.

And you dare to call other people petty, the irony.

Cravis

When they going to add wheelchairs and handicapped accessible ramps in these games. That’s the real crime here. Those folks born with it too but get no representation. I demand we see a ramp wherever there are stairs in these games!

Yoboman

so you are telling me that a game with this "female" protagonist has some woke agenda? mildshock.gif

maxresdefault_2.jpg
Is your white male fragility threatened by a badass cool wamen character design based on somebody I saw at the pride march?

Fucking homophobe

ExpandKong

Banned
No, but it helps you embrace your sexual identity when it used to be (and still is in many occasions) ridiculed and frowned upon.

EDIT: I'm not denying however, that it *could* be seen unnecessary to show this when playing Gears of War, of all games. Unless you want to show to other people that 'You know what? Gay people like Gears of War, too!", for all the good that will do.

Real talk though, remember the rainbow colors vomited all over every corporate logo for pride month recently? If your sexual proclivities are officially being packaged and sold by Nike, Pepsi, Microsoft, et al, then you’re no more ridiculed or frowned upon than any other person in society.

Papa

Banned

But you don’t matter. You’re not special. None of us are. In 2019, no one gives a shit about your sexuality. That was the deal. That doesn’t mean that it’s time for you to flip the table and start inserting “positive” discrimination in to every facet of life. That’s spiteful and just downright annoying. In my experience, those who wave their immutable characteristics around as a criticism shield and use them to define their entire identity generally have the least to offer the world. You’re not fighting for anything and your oppression is imagined. Get over yourself.

Teslerum

WELLCOME TO PLANET EARTH where life is shit and hard for almost everybody! You think I had an easyer life for just being a guy that loves fucking women?? I don't pity any of you or other LGBTIOPQRSTUVWXYZ people sorry, you are not special and your lives are not harder than any other person. Everybody has it's own shit to deal with, you maybe had your "gayness" stuff, I had other stuff. Using your own words:

And just to add to that for a reality check:

For the past several years I've been working with organizations in several countries for a minority that can't publicy practice their beliefs. If they do they risk severe punishment, often death. On multiple occassions we helped them organize gatherings, helped their communities and smuggled certain things for them into the country, for example in furniture.

Now who am I talking about you wonder? CHRISTIANS,

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned

I dunno where you’re posting from but here in America gays have rights. Like, all the rights. It’s over. No more rights to fight for. Been that way for a bit now. Enjoy your video game flags.

BlackTron

Well if there's no straight flag, then apparently, we do have to fight for it.

This is exactly the thing. Nobody is waving straight pride around in anyone's face. Why? Well, no one gives a shit. It has no place in this context.

The same is true of gay banners, it's entirely meaningless in this context other than as a low-hanging-fruit pandering cash grab.

I know I'm not looking to an online multiplayer shooter to say "you matter!" but I guess there enough precious snowflakes out there to make this a good monetary move. I know if a fucking game tried to impress me by "respecting my sexual preferences" I would feel patronized and like my intelligence was insulted.

Papa

Banned
I dunno where you’re posting from but here in America gays have rights. Like, all the rights. It’s over. No more rights to fight for. Been that way for a bit now. Enjoy your video game flags.

That’s the thing. The ideology revolves entirely around “the fight”. It’s inextricably linked as many of the central ideas revolve around the presence of an oppressor. Take away the oppression and the ideology has no reason to exist, so they invent oppression to fight.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
When they going to add wheelchairs and handicapped accessible ramps in these games. That’s the real crime here. Those folks born with it too but get no representation. I demand we see a ramp wherever there are stairs in these games!

No, because of the majority of the people that I've ever worked with and volunteered for that have disabilities that require a wheelchair from (cerebral palsy to muscular dystrophy) all say they don't want those characteristics to Define them... Oh I see what you did there.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
Yeah, I think it's more or less just poor writing instead of an agenda. Gears had suffered silly plot/drama excuses for a while.
As a Gears fan, I think the series as it was, should have ended with Gears 3. There is nothing Coalition can do that will make it substantially better an experiencethan that game was.

What should have happened with Gears 4 is an entirely new direction for the series. Something unexpected and exciting. What we got was just a safe continuation of the original formula. No doubt this was done because they wanted to play it safe. But the result has been a rather lame, somewhat fan fictiony story that's rather boring, with dated gameplay mechanics.

Why not go to a new planet? Why not reinvent the gameplay loop and try to do something new with the series? Add a dialogue wheel, character creation, etc. I'm just throwing out ideas here. But there's nothing that says a series has to stay the same forever, and I don't think that it should.

But it is what it is. It's just more Gears. It's the safer bet for Coalition and far lesd work. Thats the other part. I imagibe they dont want to cgange much because it requires a lot more work. Everythong was already built by Epic. Sure, Coalition makes new assets and updates old content, but the bulk of the work has already been done by another studio.

oagboghi2

“OMG guys it is so hard to be pansexual non-binary spirit these days. I am like....so oppressed.

Thank god Gears 5 has a flag for me” 🙄

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

It is an escape for almost everyone who plays games. Some just want to relax and not deal with the bullshit ideological garbage that is constantly pushed every waking moment in MSM (from the right or left). Your silly need to showcase your "pride" of an immutable characteristic in a franchise and world that has literally nothing to do with it has been noted and duly called out for being stupid.

Also, Gays have rights now. There is nothing left to fight for. Your continued need to find someone to fight is only hindering the success and years of progress that has been made.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
That’s the thing. The ideology revolves entirely around “the fight”. It’s inextricably linked as many of the central ideas revolve around the presence of an oppressor. Take away the oppression and the ideology has no reason to exist, so they invent oppression to fight.

“We’re here! We’re queer! Get used to it!”

People done got used to it. Now what? Gotta either get more queer or change where “here” is. So now there’s a trans pride flag in Gears of War. Which...is a far, far cry from “hey you can get married now” as far as victories go, but as you said, when your whole identity is based around genitals and oppression, you need to keep finding places to pretend you’re oppressed.

Otherwise your identity is just about genitals. And that’s as depressing as it is weird.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
“We’re here! We’re queer! Get used to it!”

People done got used to it. Now what? Gotta either get more queer or change where “here” is. So now there’s a trans pride flag in Gears of War. Which...is a far, far cry from “hey you can get married now” as far as victories go, but as you said, when your whole identity is based around genitals and oppression, you need to keep finding places to be oppressed.

Otherwise your identity is just about genitals. And that’s as depressing as it is weird.

ivbVoao.jpg

Get triggered by gay flags on MP icons when dicks and balls have been in player icons in CoD and BF for nearly 15 years.

Also the story in Gears 5 actually is more right leaning than left with some statements on firearms and weapons in general in a highly controversial time about gun violence. (from what I've played so far)

Also the series has always been fairly anti big government in it's themes which is a fairly conservative viewpoint which continues in Gears 5.

But whatevs, get triggered by gay flags and judge a game without playing it.

GC_DALBEN

I didnt see anything wrong on the campaign (im finishing act 1), but its funny how many flags about diversity and only a few good ones (Terminator, Skulll, FH4...).

Last edited:

kingwingin

It's crazy to see rod sell out. I remember an interview where he got triggered because cliff named the tank thing from gears 1 the armadillo, Because armadillos dont exist in the gears universe.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

giphy.gif

The disability options = awesome

The pride flags = ugh. Don’t get the point of broadcasting to the world what kinds of people you like to fuck or what your downstairs situation is like but I guess that’s just my C I S W H I T E M A L E P R I V I L E G E

XBox Live in 2009: “Hahah you’re gay”
XBox Live in 2019: “Hahah I’m gay”

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom