• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Is the First Game to Dethrone Fortnite As the Most-Played Game on Xbox Live in Over a Year

VertigoOA

Banned
It's not even in the top 20 on Twitch tonight :/

Twitch is not a great metric for actual games played. Twitch success stories are often dynamic sandboxes were random stupid shit can happen.

However... you’d imagine people would be watching just for the story spoilers. So it beig out of the top 5 is a bit different.

This is definitely gamespass doing work. I’d imagine Outer Worlds to have a huge debut as well... obviously nowhere near as huge but I wouldn’t be surprised if that gets some great exposure just because of it.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I want to just chime in. I am playing gears 5 on gamepass and I imagine that my activity is counted in on this. I did not buy Gears 5

I want to just chime in. I am playing gears 5 by a digital purchased copy and I imagine that my activity is counted on this. I bought gears 5.

On a more serious note, well deserved. I love the franchise, but only the campaigns in the previous games. The faster ttk in gears 5 is so satisfying. The Lancer is no longer a bb gun among rifles.

manfestival

I want to just chime in. I am playing gears 5 by a digital purchased copy and I imagine that my activity is counted on this. I bought gears 5.

On a more serious note, well deserved. I love the franchise, but only the campaigns in the previous games. The faster ttk in gears 5 is so satisfying. The Lancer is no longer a bb gun among rifles.
Are you trying to say you are better than me? titicaca cornholio

yi7eQfU.gif

TUROK

Yay????????

Also, I bet the 2 bucks for 2 months of GamePass is helping. Or maybe those don't count. I dunno.

Last edited:
Basically, they sold $1 GP subscriptions but sales will take a massive hit, Gears 5 is only number 46 on Steam's most played today for instance.

Has me wondering how many people who own the game on PC also have an xbox with the whole play anywhere thing if it was bought on the windows store you get a copy for your xbox too. might explain some low numbers on Steam.

The_Mike

Has me wondering how many people who own the game on PC also have an xbox with the whole play anywhere thing if it was bought on the windows store you get a copy for your xbox too. might explain some low numbers on Steam.

I bought it on Xbox Store because of cross buy. I plat on pc and my gf on Xbox One, so makes sense to buy it there.

And by the way. People who downplay the sales because of gp. Does it really change the fact that there's alot of interest in Gears 5?

Last edited:
I bought it on Xbox Store because of cross buy. I plat on pc and my gf on Xbox One, so makes sense to buy it there.

And by the way. People who downplay the sales because of gp. Does it really change the fact that there's alot of interest in Gears 5?

Yeah not sure I mean we keep hearing people kick off about retail sales being down on pretty much all games due to a lot of folks moving to all digital. As long as the devs keep up with that content flow like they stated then I'm all happy with that.

Based 19 banners 🙌

Seriously though, this is good shit. I haven’t played Gears for years but might check this one out.

I was the same, Missed Judgement and Gears 4 but this game feels nice and the shotty feels pretty good.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Microsoft can definitely talk about a success. Even if you acknowledge the fact that most people are probably playing Gears 5 thanks to Game Pass "trials" they're still doing it willingly despite having other "free" games to choose from.

Last edited:

Flintty

Microsoft can definitely talk about a success. Even if you acknowledge the fact that most people are probably playing Gears 5 thanks to Game Pass "trials" they're still doing it willingly despite having other "free" games to choose from.

Yup. People also forget - a lot of Gears 1 players are getting old now and there’s a new younger market to tap into. Having a great 5th game is a good sign to get younger generation buy in, perhaps, whilst also doing their best to please the OG fans. Regardless, it’s good for the franchise.

The_Mike

I just hope they will keep this balance in the future. The time to kill in the previous games was what killed it for me.

Now we also need the same time to kill in Halo.

Birdo

Banned

What? It had more viewers than it did before it released? Shocking :messenger_open_mouth:

I'm not sure what you were getting at with this because you didn't write anything in your post. I'll assume it was supposed to be impressive (It isn't. Those numbers are quite bad for a launch day).

Last edited:
What? It had more viewers than it did before it released? Shocking :messenger_open_mouth:

I'm not sure what you were getting at with this because you didn't write anything in your post. I'll assume it was supposed to be impressive (It isn't. Those numbers are quite bad for a launch day).
Just that top position means nothing.
Twitch numbers are not great, but Gears isn't and never was a Twitch game.
The retention is good. The total numbers not.

A staggered launch hurts you.
This is how a normal release tends to look:
3uVBdbj.png

9LqkH5E.png

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
1. Microsoft doesn't release metrics on Game Pass, generally speaking, so where is he getting "massive" numbers from? (retailers sell or give numbers away for physical)
2. If it were "massive", they are only "massive" because they basically gave it away.

Daniel's comments are more correct i.e. Microsoft hopes that people stay with the service (actually pay), but they won't find that out for many years as they gave away any demand for basically $1. So, many people could be playing as you can see from their own website (Microsoft most played), but unless people are paying - that's probably not sustainable medium and long term. (come back in 2-3 years)

Basically, they sold $1 GP subscriptions but sales will take a massive hit, Gears 5 is only number 46 on Steam's most played today for instance.

The issue with a service like this is, you need games coming out every month, imo, or you just cherry pick.
One other point, they are using semi-data (meaning ranking in the MS Store), but this largely skews the data as nobody really uses the MS Store for purchases.... so all of sudden as a brand new AAA game is released via Game Pass, it will probably shoot right up to the top past Fortnite, PUBG, etc. because nobody is using those launchers. People use other launchers, which is why they are now putting their games on Steam. I would expect to see similar results for just about any new AAA game they put out there. They are trying to imply more people are playing Gears 5 than Fortnite, but this is incorrect.

So, they are attempting to say (or imply) something is a success when large amounts of people really aren't paying for the service, than they compare apples to oranges, by using data from a store nobody generally uses.

To judge whether a game is success in a service like that, the closest thing you are going to get is hours played, but we're still using an apples to oranges comparsion as Fortnite and others are basically f2p, but even than I'm not sure that is a good thing.

If im not mistaken you need xbox live to play fortnite on xbox? So when you think about the fact that they are literally giving gamespass, and gears 5 away, its not that hard to imagine that gears would surpass fortnite for a day or 2, and thats all MS needs to trumpet from the highest mountain. Gears 5 is in no way more popular than fortnite but thats what team Xbox is trying to force us to believe.

CeeJay

they sold $1 GP subscriptions
How long are you going to peddle this line for, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years?

Sure, it may have tempted a lot of people to give it a try but I don't hear many people saying that they will stop their sub once they have to start paying the normal price. It's a tried and tested marketing tactic to offer freebies or reduced prices when something new first opens it's gates. If it's good and offers value for money then a large number of those initial customers will stick around. It's undeniable that Gamepass offers amazing value even at full price so it's fairly obvious that the number of subscribers is going to carry on growing for the foreseeable future.

If im not mistaken you need xbox live to play fortnite on xbox? So when you think about the fact that they are literally giving gamespass, and gears 5 away, its not that hard to imagine that gears would surpass fortnite for a day or 2, and thats all MS needs to trumpet from the highest mountain. Gears 5 is in no way more popular than fortnite but thats what team Xbox is trying to force us to believe.
What are you talking about?
Xbox isn't trumpeting anything. This news and the comments came from people who are unrelated to Xbox.
Also no one made the claim Gears 5 is more popular than Fortnite. The claim is Gears 5 is more popular than Fortnite on Xbox and was the fist and only game to manage that since Fortnite beacme super popular.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
1. Microsoft doesn't release metrics on Game Pass, generally speaking, so where is he getting "massive" numbers from? (retailers sell or give numbers away for physical)
2. If it were "massive", they are only "massive" because they basically gave it away.

Daniel's comments are more correct i.e. Microsoft hopes that people stay with the service (actually pay), but they won't find that out for many years as they gave away any demand for basically $1. So, many people could be playing as you can see from their own website (Microsoft most played), but unless people are paying - that's probably not sustainable medium and long term. (come back in 2-3 years)

The issue with a service like this is, you need games coming out every month, imo, or you just cherry pick.

I've never seen someone so butthurt about Microsoft in my life.

NickFire

If someone is posting here there is a good chance they just enjoy talking about video games, and an equally good chance they have seen evidence that MS tends to cover up unflattering metrics while using PR spin to over hype flattering ones. Calling him butthurt for posting pretty obvious thoughts says more about the guy throwing labels than the receiver.

This game might genuinely turn into a sales juggernaut. But its not tin foil hat stuff to wonder if people will be astro turfing the conversation with claims suggesting how successful it is because of an almost free trial period. Its a very common strategy to drum up sales by labeling something best seller, hot new item, etc. And this is the same company who was going all out at E3 this year, and then basically cut and pasted an old wired article when discussing the next system, and left most people feeling very underwhelmed.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If someone is posting here there is a good chance they just enjoy talking about video games, and an equally good chance they have seen evidence that MS tends to cover up unflattering metrics while using PR spin to over hype flattering ones. Calling him butthurt for posting pretty obvious thoughts says more about the guy throwing labels than the receiver.

This game might genuinely turn into a sales juggernaut. But its not tin foil hat stuff to wonder if people will be astro turfing the conversation with claims suggesting how successful it is because of an almost free trial period. Its a very common strategy to drum up sales by labeling something best seller, hot new item, etc. And this is the same company who was going all out at E3 this year, and then basically cut and pasted an old wired article when discussing the next system, and left most people feeling very underwhelmed.

Cool story bro. Daniels post history shows exactly how much he actually knows which is fuck all. And your line about people posting here simply because they like talking a out video games shows you're deluded if you think Daniels is one of those.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

Other then providing a Most Played section on the store, Microsoft has nothing to do with any of the information posted in this thread though.

Not sure how this is MS PR or MS spinning, when it’s people interpreting metrics found on the store.

Shouldn’t this be on Gamingbolt or Zughe or Benji?

🤷‍♂️

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Other then providing a Most Played section on the store, Microsoft has nothing to do with any of the information posted in this thread though.

Not sure how this is MS PR or MS spinning, when it’s people interpreting metrics found on the store.

🤷‍♂️

And D DanielsM 's very first post was doing just that. Critiquing and asking questions to the parties involved.

The post people are somehow taking issue with.

Last edited:

NickFire

🤷‍♂️
I believe he was alluding to the possibility of an astro-turfing campaign, which I wouldn't be shocked by.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You're searching someone's post history for casting doubt on a success claim? Oh my.

I'm not searching anything. I've been around these forums for years. There's not a single Microsoft thread that doesn't have Daniels in it bitching about free trials and the cloud.

Like other people in this very thread have stated, how long is he going to spin the same record?

Thats not talking about games, that's called having an agenda about shit posting on anything Microsoft.

joe_zazen

I'm not searching anything. I've been around these forums for years. There's not a single Microsoft thread that doesn't have Daniels in it bitching about free trials and the cloud.

Like other people in this very thread have stated, how long is he going to spin the same record?

Thats not talking about games, that's called having an agenda about shit posting on anything Microsoft.

MS is a rapacious trillion dollar corp with ties to the cia and the best pr talent on the planet. Maybe we need a few shit posters to give balance, lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MS is a rapacious trillion dollar corp with ties to the cia and the best pr talent on the planet. Maybe we need a few shit posters to give balance, lol.

Balance would be him complaining in Sony threads from the "regulars with an agenda" there as well, but we know how these senseless conversations go.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

joe_zazen

🤷‍♂️

Of course. Who are these people and what kind of integrity do ‘benj’ and ‘zughe’ or ‘gamebolt’ have? Gbolt wants clicks. zhuge and benji are building a personal brand based on sharing ‘insider info’ (in quotes because they don't share any real information). So what are people arguing about here? Afaict: Perceptions of MS gaming. What a pointless thing to be arguing about.

isual

this post makes the most sense to me because i'm one of the sods who will cancel gamepass after it expires. i got gears 5 because of it for 1 dollar - but i don't like having digital only games. so for me, and for many people who are physical collectors, gamepass does not have much value besides its 1 dollar trial.

anyone who thinks this is absurd just does not see the analytical possibility that membership for gamepass may/will dwindle in 2-3 years. it just doesn't have value for physical collectors.

sixamp

Popular or not game pass on PC is a fucking masterpiece!! I haven't touched any other game store since game pass game out on PC. 3 years worth of game pass on PC cost me less than a Starbucks cup of coffee. Bless you uncle Phil and aunt Arron , i love you

joe_zazen

Popular or not game pass on PC is a fucking masterpiece!! I haven't touched any other game store since game pass game out on PC. 3 years worth of game pass on PC cost me less than a Starbucks cup of coffee. Bless you uncle Phil and aunt Arron , i love you

Epic gives free games, why no love or pantsu for idiot cousin Sweeney?

ph33rknot

Banned

Like when?

sixamp

I know all you fanboys live and die by sales #s but that's not gonna be the case for future games with streaming . Since MS is turning into a service company that's where they want their games to go aswell so every download is good, paid for or from their service.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
this post makes the most sense to me because i'm one of the sods who will cancel gamepass after it expires. i got gears 5 because of it for 1 dollar - but i don't like having digital only games. so for me, and for many people who are physical collectors, gamepass does not have much value besides its 1 dollar trial.

anyone who thinks this is absurd just does not see the analytical possibility that membership for gamepass may/will dwindle in 2-3 years. it just doesn't have value for physical collectors.

If someone wants to play gears 5 they will get the physical.

Let's say worst case scenario a person wasn't even interested in Gears 5 and said fuck it I'll give em a dollar and cancel. They still got a dollar out of you where as they wouldn't of got anything previously.

Services always will have people that use trials and bail, it's part of the business model, and they are well aware of this, but converting users into a paid member isn't nearly as hard as you think, especially people who aren't the hardcore.

isual

If someone wants to play gears 5 they will get the physical.

Let's say worst case scenario a person wasn't even interested in Gears 5 and said fuck it I'll give em a dollar and cancel. They still got a dollar out of you where as they wouldn't of got anything previously.

Services always will have people that use trials and bail, it's part of the business model, and they are well aware of this, but converting users into a paid member isn't nearly as hard as you think, especially people who aren't the hardcore.

right, but its only 1 dollar for a brand new game.

i'll still get gears 5, and i left out that i'll get it when its 29.99 come november 2019.

quickwhips

i'll still get gears 5, and i left out that i'll get it when its 29.99 come november 2019.
Yeah. Im glad gamepass exist. I got to play gears 5, blairwitch and i bought men of medan. I probably would have waited on Medan if Gears didnt launch on game pass. Its cool this helps other games be successful also which microsoft gets 30% of revenue for also.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Ok but 1 dollar from thousands of people is better than nothing. And the likelihood of some of those people keeping game pass is high.

Either way Microsoft wins.

It doesn't matter if the game is new or old what matters is you gave them something to play it. Showing you are interested in their product.

DanielsM

Banned

The glitch appears to be fixed i.e. Gears 5 is now number 8. I no longer see two Gears 5 titles, now there is only one. Appears to have been a glitch. Gears 5 is only #67 on Steam, it has already moved out of the top 20 in amazon video games. Sales wise this will bomb hard, but it will probably be in the top 10 for a week or two, imo.

It seems one company in particular either directly or indirectly (thru media) releases vague data to support their strange goals. At the end of the day, for Game Pass to be a real thing - they need to release numbers on how many subscribers they have at real prices.... anything other than that is bullshit.

"We're the most popular and played game above the arctic circle"

Last edited:

NickFire

I know all you fanboys live and die by sales #s but that's not gonna be the case for future games with streaming . Since MS is turning into a service company that's where they want their games to go aswell so every download is good, paid for or from their service.
It does make sense to take a short term bath on revenue if the overall goal is conditioning users towards accepting the service model. Especially when they have to fight against the backwards comparability thorn in their side (they rightfully pushed for it, but now there's 50-100 million digital libraries giving people less reason to switch). So it makes perfect sense to release it when a dollar deal is pending from that perspective, and honestly I think a lot of people who sign up for the promotion will either forget to cancel or decide not to.

But calling everyone else in here fanboys? Geesh.

isual

Ok but 1 dollar from thousands of people is better than nothing. And the likelihood of some of those people keeping game pass is high.

Either way Microsoft wins.

It doesn't matter if the game is new or old what matters is you gave them something to play it. Showing you are interested in their product.

consider this, that is 1 dollar from 'thousands' of people, but it is just 1 dollar from me.

so in essence, i get more for what i paid. the value is greater.

Top Bottom