• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 - No smoking allowed

Gears 5,” the forthcoming installment in the “Gears of Wars” third-person shooter game franchise, will be a smoke-free establishment.

In a statement, Rod Fergusson, studio head at The Coalition, said: “I’ve seen firsthand the devastating impact of smoking. It’s always been important for me to not use smoking as a narrative device, which is why we made the conscious choice to avoid highlighting or glorifying smoking in ‘Gears 5’ and throughout the Gears of War Universe moving forward.”

Of course, “Gears 5” still includes a ton of shooting and, arguably, glorifies violence. The game is rated “M” (for audiences 17+) for blood and gore, strong language and intense violence, according to Microsoft.

This is not satire.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Of course, “Gears 5” still includes a ton of shooting and, arguably, glorifies violence. The game is rated “M” (for audiences 17+) for blood and gore, strong language and intense violence, according to Microsoft.

We want you to be entertained by our high resolution fantasy murder simulations, but god forbid you see someone smoke a fucking cigarette :messenger_tears_of_joy:Those things kill people you know.

Javthusiast

Banned
tenor.gif
InfiniteMediumGermanwirehairedpointer-small.gif

I actually hate smoking (not in media though), but with netflix' recent news and now this, it's just so soy it's hilarious.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
This is straight up bollocks! All the violence is alright because it’s rated M but smoking is a big no no? Well smoking is rated M also if by any chance they didn’t know. Anyways, it doesn’t matter to me if there’s smoking or not because it won’t make any difference but the statement itself is what’s rubbish.

I think I'm pretty much done with Microsoft first party titles (outside of Forza and maybe Halo). I'm not necessarily against removing smoking but it's clear virtue signaling is far more important than making great games.

Virex

Banned
Blood, guts, death, guns and mindless killing. But hey...at least no one is smoking cigarettes.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a smoker, hate the smell of cigarettes and believe that it's such a huge waste of money but if that's what others want to do, I could care less as it has nothing to do with me but removing smoking from a video game despite having all the gory decapitating violence is fucking ridiculous and makes zero sense. I'm so happy that I signed up for Game Pass Ultimate using that trick a month ago to where my average a month for 15 months is literally $4 so basically, Gears 5 will be a $4 one time playthrough instead of a $60 one time playthrough. SMH.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They had the campy, earth's last hope, send in the criminal to do the job because no else can do it type of vibe in Gears of War. Who cares what he did wrong, if he smoked, got a divorce, etc. etc. That all played out very well considering how successful the game was. The campaign was engaging. When they went back to the prequel, it was a crappy game that even the main developers can admit was not that exciting. So the whole reason to why Marcus was a criminal fighting for earth was a better reason than some person with high standards set forth by the developer.

Cranberrys

I'm a light smoker, I enjoy smoking a cigarette after work and after diner and I Don't pay 70€ for a game to lecture me. Gears characters were always bad asses and smoking fit their persona the same way Predator wouldn't be the same without Arnold and his cigars. I don't understand? They think that a teenager who sees a video game character smoke will run immediately to buy cigarettes? It's stupid to treat consumer like children.

Top Bottom