• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Now Has The Coalition’s “Full Focus”

CyberPanda

Banned
The studio has stopped working on Customization Content and Gear Packs as its full focus shifts to the upcoming sequel.

The Coalition clearly has huge ambitions for Gears 5, a game that they’re claiming is looking to breathe new life into the series after the studio successfully established itself with Gears of War 4. With the game out sometime this year itself, development would obviously be in full flow, but now The Coalition has diverted all its resources to “making Gears 5 the best game possible.”

In a new update on the Gears of War blog, The Coalition confirmed that they’re no longer working on new content for Gears 4 – meaning things such as customization content and gear packs – to bring all hands on deck for the development of the upcoming sequel. “The time has come to say goodbye to new Customization Content and Gear Packs in Gears 4 as the team shifts their full focus into making Gears 5 the best game possible,” the developer wrote.

Gears 5 is due out some time later this year for Xbox One and PC, but we haven’t yet been given a more specific release date for it. With Microsoft planning to go big at E3 this year, we can probably expect to hear more about a release date – and probably even see a lot more of the game in action – in June a Microsoft’s conference. Stay tuned for more updates in the meantime.

https://gamingbolt.com/gears-5-now-has-the-coalitions-full-focus

Codes 208

Only just now? This is something that should’ve happened around Q1-2 of last year. I understand keeping the longevity of a game but gears 4 came out back in 2016 and fell into irrelevancy about half way into 2017.

On another note, here’s hoping that if gears packs come back for 5 that they tone down on a lot of the bullshit they pulled in 4 (paid exclusives packs, duplicates, tedious grind for more packs)

Vasto

Just recently finished Gears 4 and it was awesome. Now I understand that trailer for Gears 5 after seeing the ending of Gears 4 where Kate finally finds her mom and is given the necklace.

Gears 5 is going to be amazing and I am really looking forward to it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

im so over the gears franchise. they should go back to their original game.

Was just going to ask what happened to this.

As soon as MS bought the Gears IP, well no more new IP folks. This is the gears team for life lol

I'm hoping they let that team continue that as I think it would fit well to have another big AAA FPS IP with them to bring in new gamers vs Gears, Halo combo to death.

GermanZepp

Is this gears for the xone or cross -nextgen? It would be awesome to Microsoft bring back gears as the top tier shooter it was. I mean the first game defined last gen beginning alongside bioshock and mass effect.

J-Roderton

Multiplayer has been the same shotgun-roll-shotgun for five games, who is interested in MP at this point? lol

For that matter, have the story modes really been that different either, besides this time playing as a chick?

Last edited:

Fluzer

Banned
For that matter, have the story modes really been that different either, besides this time playing as a chick?

Kait is a good character and this will be more open world with new gameplay mechanics and a better story. I hope this will be Microsoft's God of War equivalent.

DanielsM

Banned
I loved the original GOW games, heck I even liked some mp components of Judgement. The one thing I didn't really care about is that they were slowly getting away from the destroyed beauty art design, I thought by GOW3 the had nearly abandoned that to a degree. Further, they were creating so many types of Locust to me that didn't really fit. The other thing that to this day that drives me nuts, and it probably is not really a big deal to people is all the funky skins in GOW3, I mean when you have Locust with football outfits on.... it kind of destroyed the look to me, I know its just skins but just not necessary, imo.

Also, the simplicity of Horde mode in GOW2 was much better than GOW3, imo.

I would maybe give GOW5 a shot, if was decent, and was on my platform of choice.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Kait is a good character and this will be more open world with new gameplay mechanics and a better story. I hope this will be Microsoft's God of War equivalent.
No. Hard disagree. Don't want this being anything God of War. It needs to be Gears of War with a few new innovations to spice it up a bit - at best.

Honestly, people expecting Microsoft trying to copy anything of Sony 1st party should be ready for disappointment. That really doesn't look like their goal.

Fluzer

Banned
No. Hard disagree. Don't want this being anything God of War. It needs to be Gears of War with a few new innovations to spice it up a bit - at best.

Honestly, people expecting Microsoft trying to copy anything of Sony 1st party should be ready for disappointment. That really doesn't look like their goal.

Like what? Gears of War has always been a cinematic OTS game similar to God of War or Uncharted. I just hope it reaches the quality of God of War, Microsoft desperately need a title like that.

You don't get God of War vibes from this?

m8choxL.gif

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I actually like the original concept, more horror, dark, and destroyed beauty... liked it less as they moved away from that concept.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Blame all the people who wanted color in Gears.

I think you can have color to a degree and gritty dark together, although, there is probably a point. In GOW3 when you start out on the ship, I was like this doesn't really fit, lots of places in GOW3 didn't fit, imo. I see nothing wrong with flowers, and trees, and some color but some locations really took the game out of what I think could serve it best. Still some great games to me, I just think they could have done better sticking to the original concept more.... I consider GOW1-3/J to be some of the best value in video games - Campaign/co-op/mp/Horde/Beast.

The one thing that I don't like from GOW5, is that damn hat that girl is wearing, I hate those hats.... same as the one the kid from Concrete Genie wears. Horrible hats, screams I need to hit them in the face. LOL

Last edited:

Fluzer

Banned
I think you can have color to a degree and gritty dark together, although, there is probably a point. In GOW3 when you start out on the ship, I was like this doesn't really fit, lots of places in GOW3 didn't fit, imo. I see nothing wrong with flowers, and trees, and some color but some locations really took the game out of what I think could serve it best. Still some great games to me, I just think they could have done better sticking to the original concept more.... I consider GOW1-3/J to be some of the best value in video games - Campaign/co-op/mp/Horde/Beast.

Gears of War 1 has the best art direction for sure. It reminds me abit of Saving Private Ryan.

Ixiah

Banned
1 Team for the game, 4 Teams to work on Lootboxes and DLC.
Besides that, you know what they say about too many Cooks.....

These guys did "taking over a game franchise" right. They went in and made a good, safe Gears game. They didnt take too many chances. Played it safe, but did it properly.

Now that they know how to make an old school Gears game, they can evolve step by step and start taking chances. 343 should look at these guys and learn a thing or two from them.

This 343, is how you take a franchise over and make it your own.

Last edited:
Still no gameplay. Also, fuck eSports.

Gears 5 needs to focus on its campaign to attract new fans.
They're going to show off gameplay during their events this summer and E3. Also don't discount eSports so easily, that community of people not only help to attract attention to a game they're also a good point of incite for the development team for honing game systems and mechanics.

You can gain a lot of invaluable information from people who can best play and manipulate the mechanics of your game.

Ian Henry

Gears 5 looks great. Honestly I think Gears 5 will be an excellent but underrated in that people will play it and like it but it won't be GOTY contender despite being well balanced and cohesive. However, it will definitely be a precursor to the output that Xbox will have with their 1st Party in the next gen. Basically a sign of things to come.

The Skull

Gears 4 was underwhelming. The story and new characters were just so dull, and the narrative pacing was all over the place. Unimaginative enemies and no innovation on the campaign (not expecting much but it was boring). Here's hoping they keep loot boxes out of this as well.

Some ideas that would make Gears exciting again:

1.Traveling to different planets freely
2. Some campaign segments done in first person
3. Targeted user controlled dismemberment
4. Battle Royale mode
5. Better vehicle controls ala Halo
6. Marcus should be lead
7. Deeper emotional story
8. Destructible enviornments
9. Shotguns work in closer range with long range weapons more powerful
10. Weapons have secondary fire and functions

To name a few.....

will suck if Gears 5 is mostly the same.

Last edited:

The Skull

1.Traveling to different planets freely - That could work. A welcomed break from linearaty would be welcome.
2. Some campaign segments done in first person - Some visceral chainsaw moments could be good but on the whole not convinced by this
3. Targeted user controlled dismemberment - Yepp. That could definitely spice combat up if you could slow a large enemy down by removing the leg or similar.
4. Battle Royale mode - ehhhhhh. Could take it or leave it. Not a massive fan of the genre.
5. Better vehicle controls ala Halo - If more vehicle sections are added then yep 100%
6. Marcus should be lead - Agreed. Whilst it's great to get some chracter variation, he's always been the centre of the series. The new characters seem so flat. Just can't beat delta squad!
7. Deeper emotional story - They are kinda shooting for that with 4 being more involved iwth Marcus and Jd, and 5 being about Kaits family connection to the locust queen. The narrative is still kind of a mess though.
8. Destructible enviornments - Agreed. more diversity in combat. More ways to approach it.
9. Shotguns work in closer range with long range weapons more powerful - The age old problem. How to stop the gnasher being centre stage. I remember with Gears 2 they had stopping power but that went too far the other way. Certainly needs addressing.
10. Weapons have secondary fire and functions - Definitely. Gears is kind of stuck in a generation behind mindset when it comes to things like this.

To name a few.....

Gears 5 will suck if it's mostly the same.

Some great suggestions. Surely they can't just pump out another linear campaign with some judgement style horde sections.

Ten_Fold

I haven’t been paying attention, but I’ll probably pick up an Xbox one or just get it on PC I miss gears

1.Traveling to different planets freely
2. Some campaign segments done in first person
3. Targeted user controlled dismemberment
4. Battle Royale mode
5. Better vehicle controls ala Halo
6. Marcus should be lead
7. Deeper emotional story
8. Destructible enviornments
9. Shotguns work in closer range with long range weapons more powerful
10. Weapons have secondary fire and functions

To name a few.....

Gears 5 will suck if it's mostly the same.

I don't agree with half of those but detailed dynamic destruction along with a versatile cover system is always how this franchise should have progressed from Gears 4 and on.

Instead we got scripted garbage tied to wind storms, dodging lightning, and robots that walk in straight lines at you. I don't understand the love for Gears 4, I thought it sucked.

Now the great innovation will be 20x larger environments... Thrilling.

Top Bottom