• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Operation 4 Reveal Trailer

Gears is the only Xbox franchise i've never really been interested in and one i wouldn't mind seeing left behind. The numbers just aren't there anymore and it does nothing spectacular. I feel like they are scared to drop the franchise and just keep churning them out to try and keep interest going. I can't imagine the devs who work on it are stoked to work on the same stuff over and over again.

I can imagine the meeting for discussing a new title goes as such "hey guys, You will never guess what we're planning next! It's Gears but with a 6 on the end!!!!" and the whole dev team erupts on harmonious joy.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I've never dropped a Gears game so quickly in my life. This does nothing for me.
Similar to Halo-both series are shells of what they once were. Whereas Halo's changes are more visible-art, gameplay, tone, missing modes, etc Gears' changes are more difficult to spot. Subtle gameplay changes that had a ripple effect, new bloated modes, and a focus on micros. I'm someone that defends micros-I think there are plenty of games out there that are doing them really well right now but Gears is not one of them. Horde mode was restructured around micros and Gears 5 added Arcade and Escape to provide additional micro opportunity. Micros should be adjusted to fit the game, not the other way around. Gears is not a hero shooter so those sort of micros do not work in Gears. There is no "one size fits all" micro model, each game must find its own monetization strategy.

MiguelItUp

Yes I play often and always a ton of people very fun and one of the best gears multiplayer to date
Ah, interesting. I just haven't heard anything about it for the most part, so I was curious. Glad you're enjoying it! Though I admit, a lot of the reactions in here don't bode a ton of confidence in me about it, haha. Personally I loved Gears 1-3, but didn't bother with anything after cause they just felt like cash ins to me.

Jaxcellent

What is it with these games, from judgement onwards, it feels like it lost it soul... I lost interest in the series. They really need to do some new stuff, change it up alittle, introduce some new mechanic or something, give the franchise alittle time to breath.

Tiamat2san

Nah, it’s a great update.
Definitely a step in the right direction.
You can see the change of leadership in the team.
The new currency is great and you can earn plenty of gears coins by playing.
1 new map (and it’s really good), 2 classics and for horde player another based on tiles who will change several time during the operation.
Horde frenzy in custom lobbies.
The power tap are great now and add a health bonus to the team.
Everyone can buy fortifications and weapons. Even heavy weapons.

Horde events are planned, the ranking system in VS has been revamped.

Paduk seems great to play.
Tuning of the mechanics/cards are good.

It’s a soft relaunch of the multiplayer side of the game.

Operation 5 will take a little longer to arrive but will be what makes the game perfect.
More maps (significantly more)
Séparation of the character/role and more stuffs to come.

I honestly think that Gears 5 is the second best of the Gears of War games, and seeing them put effort into fixing the biggest issues people had with the multiplayer (few characters, grindy progression etc) is really great as well. I don't think it will ever top Gears 2, but I think that's an almost unrealistic goal tbh

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Its just never going to match the original trilogy imo. Although i recently tried it out again and had fun but its not the same.
Weirdly enough, I loved Gears 5's campaign when I beat it in September but when I replayed it the other day it felt so stale.

Jack's gameplay additions is nice though

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Similar to Halo-both series are shells of what they once were. Whereas Halo's changes are more visible-art, gameplay, tone, missing modes, etc Gears' changes are more difficult to spot. Subtle gameplay changes that had a ripple effect, new bloated modes, and a focus on micros. I'm someone that defends micros-I think there are plenty of games out there that are doing them really well right now but Gears is not one of them. Horde mode was restructured around micros and Gears 5 added Arcade and Escape to provide additional micro opportunity. Micros should be adjusted to fit the game, not the other way around. Gears is not a hero shooter so those sort of micros do not work in Gears. There is no "one size fits all" micro model, each game must find its own monetization strategy.
I feel like 343 nailed Halo 5's MP I loved the new mode, I think it was called Warzone?? But the SP was the worst in the series

Last edited:
Gears is the only Xbox franchise i've never really been interested in and one i wouldn't mind seeing left behind. The numbers just aren't there anymore and it does nothing spectacular.

So you were 'never interested'..yet you care that 'the numbers aren't there' anymore. Right.

I feel like they are scared to drop the franchise and just keep churning them out to try and keep interest going. I can't imagine the devs who work on it are stoked to work on the same stuff over and over again.

Yeah, I'm sure Microsoft is totally scared to pull the plug on a billion dollar franchise.
What a pickle they're in..they gotta just keep taking some of the money they make on the sequels and put it right back into another one.
God forbid the next one happens to be better than the one before it..that would mean the people who were never interested in the game will have to put up with ANOTHER one!

Tiamat2san

So you were 'never interested'..yet you care that 'the numbers aren't there' anymore. Right.

Yeah, I'm sure Microsoft is totally scared to pull the plug on a billion dollar franchise.
What a pickle they're in..they gotta just keep taking some of the money they make on the sequels and put it right back into another one.
God forbid the next one happens to be better than the one before it..that would mean the people who were never interested in the game will have to put up with ANOTHER one!
It’s my favorite game franchise with halo.
I am not the only one.

Murder187

Ah, interesting. I just haven't heard anything about it for the most part, so I was curious. Glad you're enjoying it! Though I admit, a lot of the reactions in here don't bode a ton of confidence in me about it, haha. Personally I loved Gears 1-3, but didn't bother with anything after cause they just felt like cash ins to me.
My one problem is unlocking playable characters it's kinda behind paywalls they should g ok back to the way 3 was

Ten_Fold

Gears 4/5 is pretty decent, it just feels like it’s missing something. I’m not sure what it is. I loved gears 1-3 could play them all day. I tried gears 5 recently and it’s just not too fun.

SEGA_2012

Gears 5 is my first Gears online and i am having a lot of fun. I am looking forward to play Operation 4, this Saturday i will be playing for 7 hours in a row.

Gears need long break like Halo and then come back with overhaul to gameplay system and design. They need to give it 4 to 5 years time.

Thats said people going overboard with hate. Game is still good and fun to play. It's either franchise fatigue or u guys just suck at Gears mp. 90% time its the latter.

Sleepwalker

I beat this game, was so excited for it but the open world ACTs just killed it for me. I ended up beating it with my wife on easy difficulty so she could play. I skipped every side mission as well as they were totally uninteresting. The game starts well and then it falls flat on its face IMO. Gears should be a linear experience, there's nothing wrong with linear games, specially if your open world sections feel empty and just bloat the game overall.

The multiplayer is fun though, Just not my cupof tea, glad it's getting tons of support.

Last edited:

Seraphym

Gears and Halo are games I enjoy playing for the co-op, multiplayer just leaves me and my co-op group cold. We neither have the time or inclination to hammer away/"git gud".
Gears 5 is the title in the series (I am omitting Judgement) that has had the least play time.
I am interested to see if this update makes any changes to that.

Dory16

Banned
Congrats to the devs on making the best use of the unreal engine this generation. The game is technically impressive and the story is the most interesting it's been in a long time. The MP is getting tremendous support to maintain the replay value. After that, if people think it's missing "something" may be there's nothing the Coalition can do about it. It's a solid improvement on gears 4 in all areas and that's all I can ask a studio to do. Improve on the last one even if it was already a solid title.
My concern is that they don't seem to be allowed to go do anything else. If Playground can branch out into RPGs, I don't understand why it would be bad for Coalition to have a second team. I'm very curious about what else they would be able to come up with.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I felt the exact opposite when playing through Gears 5. I thought they had a decent set up at the end of 4 but failed horrible to capitalize on it.
I found kait very interesting in 5.
Less JD =better!

The only problem I have with the story is the choice you have to make in the last act.

The Skull

I found kait very interesting in 5.
Less JD =better!

The only problem I have with the story is the choice you have to make in the last act.

I felt like the start worked where you were Kait and controlled the swarm. I think more of that would have worked but I genuinely ended up preferring JD despite disliking him in 4. I think the game tried to hard to make you dislike him, but each to their own, and yeah that choice came out of nowhere and was very poorly executed.

Tiamat2san

I felt like the start worked where you were Kait and controlled the swarm. I think more of that would have worked but I genuinely ended up preferring JD despite disliking him in 4. I think the game tried to hard to make you dislike him, but each to their own, and yeah that choice came out of nowhere and was very poorly executed.
JD kind of redeemed himself in 5.
He has more depth and isn’t an asshole anymore.
I hated Fahz at first but the character became more interesting as the game progress.
Del is a nice guy.
The bond between characters became more palpable in 5.

On my second play through I made the second choice to see Marcus reaction....
Never again, it’s amazing how I grew a sentimental attachement to this character.
In a game with absurd over the top action with bulky guys who are throwing 80’s action movie jokes.
Poor Marcus.

Kerotan

Gears will never return to its Epic developed glory days. It's the same as halo and bungie. If you want that magic destiny 2 is where it's at.

GametimeUK

I enjoyed the campaign, but I haven't been interested in multiplayer since Gears 1. Maybe I will try the multi again for some sort of nostalgic rush. Actually come to think of it, how is gears 1 remastered doing for online?

SliChillax

Man I remember so fondly the days of playing GoW 1 and 2 on Xbox Live with my friends, that and Halo 3. Online gaming just has never been the same to me.

Top Bottom