• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Review Thread

Vawn

Banned
This is definitely promising to see, especially before next year's release of Xbox Scarlett.

I'll be the first to admit, quality assurance of AAA Microsoft games had me worried after GamePass. I worried we saw the last of really great first-party games in favor of a bunch of "good enough" games to keep subscription numbers high.

Last edited:
I wasn't too amazed by Gears of War 4, but I only played the first few levels and knew what I was in for. I'll give this one a try for the hell of it.

NickFire

It looks like a really solid game, 85% is a win in my book and i don't even own an xbox
As long as the sample size is significant, with the disparity in tastes, I often find high 70's a win for primarily online games, and 80% a win for anything. I honestly doubted this game would be great after E3's lackluster showing of it, but it sounds like MS has a really good exclusive for its Xbox players. Cheers for them.

Dabaus

Banned
85 is a solid score but xbox bros were hyping this up to be Xboxs God of war or game of the year and its clearly not that. Microsoft themselves even tried to play this up with the snowy setting trailers and going on about hows its going to change the series, trying to somehow tie it to God of war. This game will probably be the x1's last hurrah in terms of major exclusives and i doubt it will move the needle at all in terms of pitching itself to new potential customers. In terms of sales i woulnt be surprised if its the lowest selling gears what with it being on games pass and the females lead character decision, which is quite frankly bizarre given the testosterone fueled characters of a better time. The box art in the store for the would be consumer is also not doing it any favors with how atrocious the box art is, the main characters portrait looks like James Charles.

Last edited:

isual

getting it because there's something new to play on xbox one.

i didn't realize a new season in rainbow six started either.

Solarstrike

My soul is ready.

JIOTOY5.gif

Gamernyc78

Banned
I learned two things today that gaf considers 86 metacritic as bad unless it's a Sony game and Mista suck at Maths :p

What else did you learn? Maybe a weird obsession with Sony games 🤔like who gives a fuck if it's one point less or more than Spiderman, it's a good game enjoy it 😂😂😂😂 BTW it's like 7 points away from Uncharted 4 you know the same genre how do you feel about tht? 😂😂😂😂

Ima play this and see how it is for sure.

Gamernyc78

Banned
These subscription services give me the heeby jeebies. But if they are including games with an 85% aggregated score 5 days before sale date, that is something to really think about.

Got my ultimate until the 9th for a dollar then I've cancelled. I'll get to enjoy this bad boy 😁 if I like it alot though I might stay on another month.

Paracelsus

I learned two things today that gaf considers 86 metacritic as bad unless it's a Sony game and Mista suck at Maths :p

It happens because of the overwhelmingly majority of 90+ games, after you try them you realize they're actually 80-82 metacritic games at best. At that point you think "imagine how bad this is if it didn't even get 90+".
This could actually be a solid 86 game, or it's just a solid rental, who knows.

I'm not sure what's going on with aggregator scores lately. I thought we all agreed that 80+ was good, 85+ was awesome and 90+ was GOTY material?

Astral Chain got 87 and has been widely praised by everyone except by the usual suspects and the 60FPS Gestapo.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
10 out of 10 for me and i'm not even that much of a Gears fan. Its quite good but i'm giving it a 10 out of 10 for a £1. Going to be hard to beat that for value, if ever or until Halo Infinite comes out :)
Looking forward to play this tho.

Last edited:
Ah fuck sakes..sitting at 86 currently on MC I'm cancelling my order another Microsoft flop.
Lol

What else did you learn? Maybe a weird obsession with Sony games 🤔like who gives a fuck if it's one point less or more than Spiderman, it's a good game enjoy it 😂😂😂😂 BTW it's like 7 points away from Uncharted 4 you know the same genre how do you feel about tht? 😂😂😂😂

Ima play this and see how it is for sure.

I learned that you post nonsense. I should ignore u

Last edited:

ContraCode

Neo Member
Looks like Gears 5 is getting really high marks for the mast majority. Here is another solid score, Pixelated Gamer 9.5/10

Mista

Banned
We will be doing the Twitch creators rount table today on Twitch at 1030am pst with some composers from games and some comic book writers and will be discussing Gears 5 a bit during it if you want to tune in. Not sure if that is shameless tooting of horns but pretty excited to come off of Gears 5 excellent soundtrack and talk to writers of games soundtracks as well.
I am watching :)

Mattyp

Gold Member
Really? How many 10/10s did RDR2 get and at least to me and many others it had many annoying quirks, was boring as hell and had horrible controls & gameplay.

You could piss on a copy of Gears 4 let it fuck my misses scribble Gears 5 on the disc and it would be a better game then RDR2.

The biggest news of this thread? Panda is finally back.

Welcome back my ni....

Tygeezy

These subscription services give me the heeby jeebies. But if they are including games with an 85% aggregated score 5 days before sale date, that is something to really think about.
And they are doing gamepass for 2 dollars for two months... It's just ridiculous value. I preloaded this to coop with my buddy this weekend and my wife and i played forza horizon 4 on the couch last night. I'm doing it on my htpc too. Forza horizon 4 at 100 fps on a big screen is something else. I cant wait to play gears this weekend.

ethomaz

Banned
I mean it'll be above tht for some and maybe below for others. Anything over 80 is probably a good buy. Shit I know some 75 rated games tht I love.
Gears 94
Gears 2 93
Gears 3 91

It used to shine and not just another mid 80 game.
Gears 5 looks to be receiving the same scores than Gears 4... that is good but not outdistancing like the first 3 games.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Gears 94
Gears 2 93
Gears 3 91

Gears 5 looks to be receiving the same scores than Gears 4... that is good but not outdistancing like the first 3 games.
Score numbers are subjective though and in no way scientific or objective. Furthermore as many know game journalism has gone completely downhill with very suspect reviews floating around.

DanielsM

Banned
I mean it'll be above tht for some and maybe below for others. Anything over 80 is probably a good buy. Shit I know some 75 rated games tht I love.

Days Gone has a 72 and is my tied for second favorite this gen and ever. I think the people happy with Gears of War 3 or 4 will like this, everyone else not so much. I actually liked GoWJ campaign much more than GoW3, although I could understand the complaints as well.

Review scores are pretty meaningless, I just think there is enough video in the wild... its basically GoW3 and 4, not saying that is good or bad.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Gears 94
Gears 2 93
Gears 3 91

I think the coverage has been a bit harsh with the Gears franchise. All the entries are clearly well above average. The production values alone put the series among the main video game franchises.

ethomaz

Banned
Score numbers are subjective though and in no way scientific or objective. Furthermore as many know game journalism has gone completely downhill with very suspect reviews floating around.
I don't believe game journalism has gone completely downhill. Games receives the same scores that received in the past based in it quality.

What happened this gen are games being released like Alpha/Beta with a lot of bugs because devs costs to make game disproportionally increased... that made some know franchises have a big drop in quality and that ended showing in average scores.

Let's see how next-gen will be but if devs costs continue to increase like this gen we will see more and more drop in quality in the games.

I think the coverage has been a bit harsh with the Gears franchise. All the entries are clearly well above average. The production values alone put the series among the main video game franchises.
True... they are above avg... that was not my point.
I don't believe the coverage is a bit harsh with the franchise... it is just that the new games didn't reach the inspiration of the old ones (truth be told I still think Gears 1 to have the best overall game design of all games in the franchise).

It just that some franchises used to be in the top spot but with the change in generation they couldn't hold that anymore.

Days Gone has a 72 and is my tied for second favorite this gen and ever. I think the people happy with Gears of War 3 or 4 will like this, everyone else not so much. I actually liked GoWJ campaign much more than GoW3, although I could understand the complaints as well.

Review scores are pretty meaningless, I just think there is enough video in the wild... its basically GoW3 and 4, not saying that is good or bad.
Days Gone is in a awkward position for me... it should be way better but ended being just that.
Still better than The Order (who thought a Demo could be sold as a full game?) but not the game it potentially could be... maybe the second game fix its issues.

GoWJ is bad... that one is don't even consider in the franchise.

Maybe it is just nostalgia but Gears used to shake up the industry in good way... today it is just a game to look at... that is fine but how to you drink cheap wine after drink a fine wine?
I wanted another shake up from the franchise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom