• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Review Thread

Justin9mm

Gotcha but it’s still a valid point, seeing as I always hear “No point in getting an Xbox since I can play it on PC” comment a lot.

It probably won’t be breaking any sales record, though. Mainly thanks to Gamepass, this game is going to get download a ton I bet.
I own an Xbox One X and I'm one of those people that will download and play because of GamePass rather than buy it. GamePass will definitely drive its success if it is a great game, no doubt about it.

Pallas

Yeah, fuck PlayStation and it's stupid exclusive lineup LOL

lgCeaDL.gif

BigLee74

The question we should all be asking is why the heck is TLW even in this thread? One reasonably unbiased yet ultimately thinly-veiled post before reverting to form. Nothing but a one dimensional object of ridicule.

Game looks great, is reviewing great, and available on Gamepass. What's not to like for Xbox players?

Very pleased to hear this is good. As soemone who was always a bit turned off by the hyper macho beef slabs designed to appeal yo the American teen, I really liked the change in protagonist, as shallow as that sounds.

Will probably pick this up on PC at some point down the road.

Kagey K

Banned
Look at the top 20 reviews, the highest reviews for either game.....

Spiderman : PSX Extreme: 95%

Gears 5 : SomosXBOX= 100%, Generacion XBOX = 98%, Mondo XBOX = 95%, XBOX Achievements = 90%, then number 21 is Windows Central = 90%
Why did you only list one review for Spider-Man and 5 for Gears? Shouldn’t it have been 5 vs 5 or something?

Or are you trying to be misleading again?

Mattyp

Gold Member
The question we should all be asking is why the heck is TLW even in this thread? One reasonably unbiased yet ultimately thinly-veiled post before reverting to form. Nothing but a one dimensional object of ridicule.

Game looks great, is reviewing great, and available on Gamepass. What's not to like for Xbox players?

Just block him, threads have never looked better. The moment he tried parroting native 4K Forza on the PC maxed out looks worse then GT on playstation is the moment I couldn't take any more of him dribbling shit.

Kagey K

Banned

They didn’t release it for free on PS4? That’s about the only gripe I can see so far.

GymWolf

85 is a solid score but xbox bros were hyping this up to be Xboxs God of war or game of the year and its clearly not that. Microsoft themselves even tried to play this up with the snowy setting trailers and going on about hows its going to change the series, trying to somehow tie it to God of war. This game will probably be the x1's last hurrah in terms of major exclusives and i doubt it will move the needle at all in terms of pitching itself to new potential customers. In terms of sales i woulnt be surprised if its the lowest selling gears what with it being on games pass and the females lead character decision, which is quite frankly bizarre given the testosterone fueled characters of a better time. The box art in the store for the would be consumer is also not doing it any favors with how atrocious the box art is, the main characters portrait looks like James Charles.
The james charles analogy is fucking on point :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Perhaps they legitimately like the game?

All exclusive games benefit from brand centric fan sites. Sony, Nintendo and Xbox all have fan sites whose reviews count toward the aggregate.
And that's fine, just strange that most of the XBOX only websites gave it some of the best scores
so far......As I said, we shall see how everything trickles...….As for your second statement...FYI; Playstation Mags and Playstation Uk does not always give favorable reviews to Sony exclusives.....PlayStation UK has torn PS exclusives a new one in more instances than I'd I'd like to remember, these guys are absolutely brutal tbh.....

PSX Extreme - 95%
PlayStation Universe - 95%
LaPS4 - 90%
Playstation Official Magazine UK -90%
PlayStation LifeStyle - 90%

I’m not trying to argue who has more,I'm arguing about your silly attempt to downplay the good reviews it’s getting. Both of those games deserve those scores.

Like hey, Xbox has an exclusive that’s reviewing well and it’s not a racing game. That has to be some sort of glitch or conspiracy! I might honestly take your opinion more seriously if you weren’t a Sony shill.
No need to get your "las bragas" twisted. It was an observation I made about XBOX centric websites.....If they just love Gears that's fine, but it doesn't detract from the fact that there are many of these sites in the top 20 or in the top review scores for the title...…..Remember I said top 20, which has the propensity to boost the meta.....Maybe there are just more XBOX centric sites than other platform specific sites, that may very well be it, however, I've also made this same observation about quite a few recent XBOX exclusive titles......Top 20, that is...….It's all right there on Meta...

Also, I never mentioned anything about racing games on XBOX, are you in the habit of putting words in people's mouths or alluding to things I didn't say?

Woah, hold your horses......This is certainly not a "horses for courses" forum. This is a review thread with varying opinions on the same course, as can be seen across the scores and writeups given to Gears 5.....I am on MS's biggest platform, the PC...….I belong here just as you do....I own every single Gears game because I like TPS and I have Gears Remake and Gears 4 on the Windows Store......I could have gamepassed Gears 5 for $2, as gamepass was recently at that price, but no, I would like to own my games, so I will be purchasing it on Steam. I think in that way, I can give a little more to the devs as opposed to gamepassing…...Yes, I have my issues with Windows Store, but it never detracted me from purchasing the games either way...….This is not the OT, this is a review thread, you want to be territorial on a review thread, where opinions and observations are shared and discussed? That's quite revelatory tbh.....

Hell, just yesterday when I saw the Gears thread, I was saying, MS should really port Gears 2, 3 and Judgement to the PC, that would be great and complete my collection on PC as I have the other games on XBOX......4k 60fps would be nice...….Yet you were quick to come in here with a retort, even if what I said is factual...…..I wasn't even the one who brought Spiderman into the discussion. I was just responding to the fair and unbiased poster who did...….

Journey

Banned
Dynamic isn't native. Games in the past tried to pass off same bs and more than 60% of the time didn't hit 4K so tht native remark means shit. Ppl hop on Sony when thy say a game is 4K but is dynamic or reconstruction so let's not try to pass this off as native 4K till we see what DF says.

What makes it native is the resolution that it's running at, not whether a dynamic setting is enabled or not. So let's say this algorithm was set up on a PC game, and you have a rig that can run it at 4K all the time, then that game is native 4K because it's outputting at 4K, what they're trying to say is, let's wait until Digital Foundry does their analysis so we can see to what extent we're looking at 4K, is it just the menus lol, or is it most of the campaign with some drops in heavy firefights? Because if during calm moments I'm walking around and panning to view destroyed beauty and it's running at 3840 x 2160, then I'm looking at native 4K resolution.

Gamernyc78

Banned
What makes it native is the resolution that it's running at, not whether a dynamic setting is enabled or not. So let's say this algorithm was set up on a PC game, and you have a rig that can run it at 4K all the time, then that game is native 4K because it's outputting at 4K, what they're trying to say is, let's wait until Digital Foundry does their analysis so we can see to what extent we're looking at 4K, is it just the menus lol, or is it most of the campaign with some drops in heavy firefights? Because if during calm moments I'm walking around and panning to view destroyed beauty and it's running at 3840 x 2160, then I'm looking at native 4K resolution.

You reiterated what I said lol. A game can jump up to native 4K for one sec but be mostly sub 4K thts not a native 4K game. We've been on this forum long enough to know and game enthusiasts to know the deal.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Look at the top 20 reviews, the highest reviews for either game.....

Spiderman : PSX Extreme: 95%

Gears 5 : SomosXBOX= 100%, Generacion XBOX = 98%, Mondo XBOX = 95%, XBOX Achievements = 90%, then number 21 is Windows Central = 90%

Gears 5, an Xbox exclusive* is getting good reviews, in fact it's close to the score of a hallowed Sony exclusive.

Why am I not surprised to find you desperately hoping for the Gears 5 score to start getting lower?

Edit: Correction - *Console exclusive or Microsoft Exclusive or NOT on Sony

Last edited:

BigLee74

And that's fine, just strange that most of the XBOX only websites gave it some of the best scores
so far......As I said, we shall see how everything trickles...….As for your second statement...FYI; Playstation Mags and Playstation Uk does not always give favorable reviews to Sony exclusives.....PlayStation UK has torn PS exclusives a new one in more instances than I'd I'd like to remember, these guys are absolutely brutal tbh.....

No need to get your "las bragas" twisted. It was an observation I made about XBOX centric websites.....If they just love Gears that's fine, but it doesn't detract from the fact that there are many of these sites in the top 20 or in the top review scores for the title...…..Remember I said top 20, which has the propensity to boost the meta.....Maybe there are just more XBOX centric sites than other platform specific sites, that may very well be it, however, I've also made this same observation about quite a few recent XBOX exclusive titles......Top 20, that is...….It's all right there on Meta...

Also, I never mentioned anything about racing games on XBOX, are you in the habit of putting words in people's mouths or alluding to things I didn't say?

Woah, hold your horses......This is certainly not a "horses for courses" forum. This is a review thread with varying opinions on the same course, as can be seen across the scores and writeups given to Gears 5.....I am on MS's biggest platform, the PC...….I belong here just as you do....I own every single Gears game because I like TPS and I have Gears Remake and Gears 4 on the Windows Store......I could have gamepassed Gears 5 for $2, as gamepass was recently at that price, but no, I would like to own my games, so I will be purchasing it on Steam. I think in that way, I can give a little more to the devs as opposed to gamepassing…...Yes, I have my issues with Windows Store, but it never detracted me from purchasing the games either way...….This is not the OT, this is a review thread, you want to be territorial on a review thread, where opinions and observations are shared and discussed? That's quite revelatory tbh.....

Hell, just yesterday when I saw the Gears thread, I was saying, MS should really port Gears 2, 3 and Judgement to the PC, that would be great and complete my collection on PC as I have the other games on XBOX......4k 60fps would be nice...….Yet you were quick to come in here with a retort, even if what I said is factual...…..I wasn't even the one who brought Spiderman into the discussion. I was just responding to the fair and unbiased poster who did...….

Sorry, I refuse to believe you have an xbox 😂 Still, an amazing amount of effort in your reply. Enjoy GOW 5.

I've been playing the game for the last 2 days and it's quite lovely. Unfortunately, we recieved our review copies a tad late/last minute so we were not able review on time and plus the multiplayer and all that stuff is unplayable because they turned off matchmaking till launch. You can only do custom games/server browser or play with people on your friend list privately. We probably won't get our review done till either september 9th or 10th.

Overall so far this is the best Gears I've played. The addition of a bot and his whole set of mechanics is awesome. Game looks insane at 4K native 60 fps with HDR on my xbox one x . this is pure wizardry here, I cant wait too see what the coalition does with Gesrs 6.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
I love Gears. No game in the entire mainline series 1-4 would have scored less than 90+ from me and Judgement would be 80s (I think the class based multiplayer was overlooked) . Gears 4's Horde mode alone is better than most action games. Gears 5 looks awesome. The best third person shooter action franchise in history is baaack. WHO WANTS SOME TOAST!!!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I love Gears. No game in the entire mainline series 1-4 would have scored less than 90+ from me and Judgement would be 80s (I think the class based multiplayer was overlooked) . Gears 4's Horde mode alone is better than most action games. Gears 5 looks awesome. The best third person shooter action franchise in history is baaack. WHO WANTS SOME TOAST!!!

Horde mode imo is still grossly underated. No other game has ever gotten it just right the way gears has.

Journey

Banned
You reiterated what I said lol. A game can jump up to native 4K for one sec but be mostly sub 4K thts not a native 4K game. We've been on this forum long enough to know and game enthusiasts to know the deal.

Right, but there have been games where it stays mostly at 4K, can't recall which game, I think Red Dead 2.

Horde mode imo is still grossly underated. No other game has ever gotten it just right the way gears has.

Yet Horde and Escape were the two modes that were slagged on the most in reviews. Here's hoping Horde didn't get changed too much.

And yes, I'm playing this tonight when I get home. Got Game Pass, gonna take advantage of it.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yet Horde and Escape were the two modes that were slagged on the most in reviews. Here's hoping Horde didn't get changed too much.

And yes, I'm playing this tonight when I get home. Got Game Pass, gonna take advantage of it.

Hard to make perfection better.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Right, but there have been games where it stays mostly at 4K, can't recall which game, I think Red Dead 2.

And of it does tht most of the time definitely kudos to the team. Shit even if it doesn't and looks great and is fun I'm happy.

In all honesty some ppl on here in the past even claimed some games tht were dynamic but 4K most of the time still wasn't 4K bcus of drops lol

nikolino840

y89v2RT.png

Found these review also ( if no One posted yet)

Shmunter

Seemingly Polygon likens it to an Uncharted game. Like it or not, there is no denying the overall quality of that Sony title, could explain the positive reception. And why not frankly.

Am I playing a Gears game or Uncharted?” is a weird thing to ask yourself. And yet, within the first few minutes of playing Gears 5, I’m oscillating between wide-eyed surprise and squinting suspicion.”

Last edited:

GenericUser

I don't lie, even thought the game is not a 10/10, I think I'd buy it if I had an xbox. Sommer drought still is real for me and I have fond memories playing gears 1 and 2. Popping heads as marcus fenix and listening to quirky one liners was kinda entertaining tbh.

THAT was cool:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

lucius

Sounds good about the campaign, I got Gamepass for really cheap until Oct. so I will beat it then when it price drops a few times I may get it again. One thing Sony hardly does is give as good deals on Plus/Now trial subs compared to Gold/Gamepass it may start hurting them in long run.

VertigoOA

Banned
Seemingly Polygon likens it to an Uncharted game. Like it or not, there is no denying the overall quality of that Sony title, could explain the positive reception. And why not frankly.

Am I playing a Gears game or Uncharted?” is a weird thing to ask yourself. And yet, within the first few minutes of playing Gears 5, I’m oscillating between wide-eyed surprise and squinting suspicion.”

Horrible comparison... when I think uncharted I’m reminded of its trash shooting, floaty movement and... ... they play like shit.

No doubt Gears 5 is better.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Imi

Imitation is the best form of flattery. We knew the route thy were going with more open levels ala Sonys fórmula with New itinerations. As long as the game is good I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Horrible comparison... when I think uncharted I’m reminded of its trash shooting, floaty movement and... ... they play like shit.

No doubt Gears 5 is better.

What you think about Gears? Weird running mechanic feel like I'm gojng to fall off a cliff, no traversal, very limited gameplay and shotgun fest in mp. Gameplay wise Uncharted is miles ahead lol

Either way imitation is the greatest form of flattery. We knew thy were copying Sony's formula when thy started talking about more open levels after Uncharted went tht route. Hey if the game is good it's worth it 😁

Top Bottom