• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 5 Versus Multiplayer Technical Test set for July 19 to 21 & July 26 to 29

Mista

Banned
Gears-5_07-05-19_001.jpg

Microsoft will host a Versus Multiplayer Technical Test for Gears 5 on Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs from July 19 at 10:00 a.m. PT / 1:00 p.m. ET to July 21, and again from July 26 at 10:00 a.m. PT / 1:00 p.m. ET to July 29, the publisher announced. The download itself will be available starting July 17 at 10:00 a.m. PT / 1:00 p.m. ET.

Access to the Versus Multiplayer Technical Test is included with Xbox Game Pass memberships and all pre-orders for Gears 5.

The Versus Multiplayer Technical Test will feature the following game modes:
  • EscalationGears 5‘s updated competitive gametype.
  • Arcade – A new and approachable multiplayer gametype.
  • King of the Hill – A longtime fan favorite.
  • Bootcamp – A new training mode for players new to Gears or those that want to practice their skills and learn new mechanics.
  • Tour of Duty – A short series of challenges for players to earn content. Completing all of these challenges unlocks an exclusive Tech Test Banner. Players can also unlock three Versus Weapon Skins by completing some additional challenges.

Here are the minimum and recommended specifications for the PC version:

Gears-5-Tech-Test.jpg

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

The graphics are fine as is, looks better than Halo 5 campaign and Uncharted 4's multiplayer at 60fps.

JauntyVigilantCavy-size_restricted.gif
Im not a fan of either of this games but at least Uncharted features animations that arent from 2006...

Looking at this Gif its hilarious how they still recycle the same ugly running animations to this date....

Im not a fan of either of this games but at least Uncharted features animations that arent from 2006...

Looking at this Gif its hilarious how they still recycle the same ugly running animations to this date....
Animations are vastly improved in SP. Go play old Gears then jump to Gears 4. They also using different engine technology which has completely new animation framework.

Gif shows roadie run which always looked goofy in Gears and they plan to keep it.

II_JumPeR_I

Animations are vastly improved in SP. Go play old Gears then jump to Gears 4. They also using different engine technology which has completely new animation framework.

Gif shows roadie run which always looked goofy in Gears and they plan to keep it.
They are not improved at all... They are still the same animations maybe with minimal refinements...

Please dont compare motion captured Cutscene animations to gameplay animations.

Fresh new animations without a stupid sprint cam would give the game a fresh look

Ya so? Game is done but they can take portion of game reduce graphics to reduce download size. How hard is reducing graphics settings really is?

They did this with Gears 4
Reducing graphics settings wont reduce the size lol
Removing the highres textures will do that.
And again i doubt the Demo will look different than the final game.

Last edited:

quickwhips

Name me a better competitive TPS. I’ll be waiting :D
I don’t think it’s better but still fun is last of us multiplayer. Single player last of us is boring as fuck though. Gears is the best though.

I’m so happy to be getting to play a new gears game soon.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I don’t think it’s better but still fun is last of us multiplayer. Single player last of us is boring as fuck though. Gears is the best though.

I’m so happy to be getting to play a new gears game soon.
Yes TLoU MP was solid and fun but yup, not better than Gears. Did you upgrade your subscription to ultimate?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox gamers should be hyped for this game, it might not have the same impact as the superior "GOW" title (God of War) but this GOW, Gears of War will have gamers chasing Gamestop for copies.

II_JumPeR_I

Xbox gamers should be hyped for this game, it might not have the same impact as the superior "GOW" title (God of War) but this GOW, Gears of War will have gamers chasing Gamestop for copies.
Superior... its a matter of taste buddy... and the new God of War just looks like the standard Sony affair these days to me.

And as a Xbox player, Gears 5 left me cold so far. Its a combination of the terrible marketing and the very very samey gameplay ive played in 5 entries already (yes i count Judgement)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Superior... its a matter of taste buddy... and the new God of War just looks like the standard Sony affair these days to me.

And as a Xbox player, Gears 5 left me cold so far. Its a combination of the terrible marketing and the very very samey gameplay ive played in 5 entries already (yes i count Judgement)
Exactly why I give credit to Santa Monica for changing up GOW’s format after 3 entries, obviously it paid off

They are not improved at all... They are still the same animations maybe with minimal refinements...

Please dont compare motion captured Cutscene animations to gameplay animations.

Fresh new animations without a stupid sprint cam would give the game a fresh look

Reducing graphics settings wont reduce the size lol
Removing the highres textures will do that.
And again i doubt the Demo will look different than the final game.
They are vastly improved. Going cover to cover itself feels very smooth. I suggest you play old Gears and Gears 4. They worked form scratch on everything as it's a new engine. Recycle not possible as engine technology new. They trying to keep feel of Gears gameplay intact with roadie run and all doesnt mean they recycling old Gears technology lol.

And regarding beta i said they will reduce graphics details for beta which includes reducing textures size as well. When you play on PC reducing textures size is a graphics setting.

Mista

Banned

Edit: not even worth it

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I really don’t understand if some people are stupid or being stupid exactly. Gears is a competitive game and changing some cores in the game will ruin it. For fuck sake shut your fucking mouth if you don’t know shit

II_JumPeR_I

I really don’t understand if some people are stupid or being stupid exactly. Gears is a competitive game and changing some cores in the game will ruin it. For fuck sake shut your fucking mouth if you don’t know shit
Sry but who the freaking fuck cares about competitive shit or Esport?

Gears is really a franchise that needs change. I wont be surprised if Gears 5 wont do well sales wise. Gears 4 wasnt doing so hot either.
And that matters because....
You want to provide the best first glimpse of your game?
That Gears mp was straight ass I dropped it after a week. The trash running which feels like your running sideways and the grounded shotgun fest in mp just wasn't good in the last one. Everyone just spamming shotguns.
Yup never liked the Gears MP. It was hilarious shredding folks with the Sawed Off Shotgun in Gears 3 lol but the so called "hardcore" kids complained and the "new" balance in Gears 3 went into shit... Gears 4 suffered the same...
Sry but its time that something changes in regards to Gears MP. Im not talking about a super drastic change, but at this point a new Gears game should feel fresh and not not feel like DLC

Mista

Banned
All the hardcore fans that actually plays Gears? Nobody said shit about eSports. Being a competitive game doesn’t come in a package that it’s eSports related🤷🏻‍♂️

HoldTheAir

One of the multiplayer level designers stated that the multiplayer maps will be "diverse". I'm hoping they have a map like "River" from Gears of War 2.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Gears is really a franchise that needs change. I wont be surprised if Gears 5 wont do well sales wise. Gears 4 wasnt doing so hot either.

You want to provide the best first glimpse of your game?

Yup never liked the Gears MP. It was hilarious shredding folks with the Sawed Off Shotgun in Gears 3 lol but the so called "hardcore" kids complained and the "new" balance in Gears 3 went into shit... Gears 4 suffered the same...
Sry but its time that something changes in regards to Gears MP. Im not talking about a super drastic change, but at this point a new Gears game should feel fresh and not not feel like DLC
It's a tech test not a demo.

So what's the point in releasing a new game then? Just keep playing Gears4 if changing anything will put your panties in a twist.

Or maybe you enjoy paying $60 every couple years for a roster update? Maybe they should just call this Gears 2019 edition, then they could go all out with gambling mechanics and microtransactions.

Fact is, Coalition and MS are getting called out for making safe ass entries into franchises that were tired two games ago. To make it worse they run around gloating about the risks they're taking when the only risk I see is slowly killing the franchise from fatigue and boredom.

Riven326

Banned
They are vastly improved. Going cover to cover itself feels very smooth. I suggest you play old Gears and Gears 4. They worked form scratch on everything as it's a new engine. Recycle not possible as engine technology new. They trying to keep feel of Gears gameplay intact with roadie run and all doesnt mean they recycling old Gears technology lol.

And regarding beta i said they will reduce graphics details for beta which includes reducing textures size as well. When you play on PC reducing textures size is a graphics setting.
You don't know what you're talking about. They imported all the old assets, including the animations, into the new iteration of Unreal.

Mista

Banned
So what's the point in releasing a new game then? Just keep playing Gears4 if changing anything will put your panties in a twist.

Or maybe you enjoy paying $60 every couple years for a roster update? Maybe they should just call this Gears 2019 edition, then they could go all out with gambling mechanics and microtransactions.

Fact is, Coalition and MS are getting called out for making safe ass entries into franchises that were tired two games ago. To make it worse they run around gloating about the risks they're taking when the only risk I see is slowly killing the franchise from fatigue and boredom.
Talking like if it’s only Gears doing it? What about Halo? CoD? And many other examples. Funny how most games gets a free pass because they’re keeping their core but Gears doesn’t. Gears this time is more newcomer friendly. So I don’t know where the fuck is the problem in keeping the important core because if you changed it like Halo did it will get a massive backlash. Or hey let’s change it for the fuck of it right? So people say hey Gears changed even if it’s for the worse. Fucking dumb

Last edited:
You don't know what you're talking about. They imported all the old assets, including the animations, into the new iteration of Unreal.
And how do u know. Rod said in an interview that worked on animation tech ground up for Gears 4 but also made sure that gameplay feels similar to Gears. Dunno where he said that but i clearly said that they changed lot of animation from ground up with UE4.

He even said Gears uses different animation for male and female characters for first time in franchise. Kait animations are completely new and created from ground up.

People call them recycled coz they purposely trying to keep same old feeling of Gears. Some idiots want Gears to lose its identity and turn into first person or something lol

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
And how do u know. Rod said in an interview that worked on animation tech ground up for Gears 4 but also made sure that gameplay feels similar to Gears. Dunno where he said that but i clearly said that they changed lot of animation from ground up with UE4.

He even said Gears uses different animation for male and female characters for first time in franchise. Kait animations are completely new and created from ground up.

People call them recycled coz they purposely trying to keep same old feeling of Gears. Some idiots want Gears to lose its identity and turn into first person or something lol
I know because I played Gears 4 and it uses the same animations as the original games during gameplay. I know because you can import all the assets from UE3 to UE4 and its a pretty smooth process.

Cutscene animations were improved in Gears 4. That's fine. It's their game and if they want to reuse the old animations for gameplay purposes, more power to them.

But you're gonna have to get used to people calling them out on it. Game animation has progressed quite a bit since 2006.

What do you think Rod is going to say? Oh yeah, we're reusing the old animations for our new game. No, he's trying to promote and build hype. Reusing old assets is not what most people want to hear.

I know because I played Gears 4 and it uses the same animations as the original games during gameplay. I know because you can import all the assets from UE3 to UE4 and its a pretty smooth process.

Cutscene animations were improved in Gears 4. That's fine. It's their game and if they want to reuse the old animations for gameplay purposes, more power to them.

But you're gonna have to get used to people calling them out on it. Game animation has progressed quite a bit since 2006.

What do you think Rod is going to say? Oh yeah, we're reusing the old animations for our new game. No, he's trying to promote and build hype. Reusing old assets is not what most people want to hear.
I also played Gears 4 and pretty sure more than you(1000+gs unlocked) and i played right after playing 360 Gears games for close to 100 hours and i instantly felt smoothness in gameplay. Going cover to cover without getting stuck and execution animations felt really smooth and not awkward or clunky.

They clearly motion captured lot of new animations for cover system, executions and how you vault over stuff and reload guns. That's said they also kept lot of stuff similar as well.

So i don't agree with you saying they recycled all animations for Gameplay .

Riven326

Banned
I also played Gears 4 and pretty sure more than you(1000+gs unlocked) and i played right after playing 360 Gears games for close to 100 hours and i instantly felt smoothness in gameplay. Going cover to cover without getting stuck and execution animations felt really smooth and not awkward or clunky.

They clearly motion captured lot of new animations for cover system, executions and how you vault over stuff and reload guns. That's said they also kept lot of stuff similar as well.

So i don't agree with you saying they recycled all animations for Gameplay .
Fair enough. I agree to disagree then.

Top Bottom