• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 6 ideas - things you would like to see changed to revitalize the series

Papacheeks

Banned
I THINK the first 2 acts in gears 5 is where they need to focus. Tight gameplay with cool set pieces and switch between the enclosed corridor sections with bigger city/area's. No more open world. It sucks they went nowhere with the whole queen story. I thought they should have had it where kait was still on the table in that old lab and she was having a premonition/slash dream on what will happen. So she decides to try and understand how to be a queen for the swarm to control them and stop the attacks.

Then have it change/shift to marcus and JD a father/son duo. You play as either marcus or JD. And learn more about marcus/anya's relationship before JD, learn about uncle DOM, and what it means to be a true gear. Not a poster boy who does what the military always tells him. JD has to live with his decisions as a leader from early events of gears 5 pre kait going to the lab. When he killed carmine's niece by using the hammer against all those swarm.

Through the chapters it jumps back and fourth between marcus/jd and kait/del. Del starts to see as kait learns more and controls the swarm more through gameplay sections of taking control of them she is getting more and more connected and starts to seem less human. I would also bring back that once connected to the swarm/hive you also have access to past memories of the queens before. And you learn about the relationship more of Marcus's father and Myra.

Would love for it to end on kait sacrificing her human side to save the whole gang. And the game ends with them at odds.

Last edited:
What I want from the next Gears game:
  • A dark, almost hopeless setting
  • More testosterone-fueled badassery
  • Less estrogen-laden fee-fee's
Don't care if the game is more or less open world. Also don't care if the main character is male, female or other.

BeardGawd

Banned
Get rid of bulky armor!

The graphics look pretty amazing in Gears 5 but the one thing I feel really makes the game look dated is the bulky armor design! Redesigning that aspect would boost the visual appeal of the game tremendously plus enable them to add better animations.

Besides that major point just stick to great set pieces and possibly take us off earth or introduce entirely new non-locust/non-robot enemies.

Last edited:
Just take full advantage of Unreal Engine 5. Make my eyes bleed. I always enjoy Gears gameplay anyway

If they DO stick with open-world elements, make them way more interesting this time around

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I forgot its a trilogy. The ending and choice option was so bad in Gears 5 lol. I actually dont give a damn about the series anymore.

Diddy X

Bring back all the feels that this trailer gives you.

Focus on one huge urban environment with metroidvania elements. Think "destroyed beauty" from the first games.

Add light crafting and customization for your armor and weapons.

yep, everybody copied the style for a reason, bringitback.

Do something new. Hell make it in the same universe.. do something like dead space. Make it a group of soldiers investigating a lost ship that crashed on an unknown planet. So much potential in this universe. I'd just love to see it shown in a different way.

Kronos9x

4 player co op. I've been enjoying the campaign in Gears 5 but there were many times where there were 4 or even 5 characters during the missions.

And i'd like to see some vehicles and mechs. Linear missions with some open world would be fine too.

sinseers

I have some ideas

-make it hard AF to beat, less checkpoints
-more enemy types with different attacks.
-vehicles
-destructive environments
-get rid of robot enemies
-epic boss battles at end of each chapter
-more melee weapons
-realisitic injury system affecting movement and aiming
-permadeath for support characters
-less pointless open world travel
-get rid of jack the flying robot

If none of this happens, make it like Hivebusters, not like Gears 5.

What do u guys think?
4 player co op campaign is at the top of my wishlist.

GametimeUK

I'd love for the series to lean into a more horror focused setting, tone and colour selection similar to Gears of War 1. Sometimes I feel less is more. We don't have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to the series.

I think stories can focus too much on turning the tide of a whole war, but I'd love to see a game where our protagonist is fighting for survival.

I get we need the war element in it, but let's explore different parts of the war and individuals stories. I really need to play Hivebusters, don't I?

skneogaf

I want one long corridor that you have to go through where hundreds of locusts are coming at you and you are just unloading thousands of bullets plus Marcus has a mullet.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gears ended with 3. There was a real, full ending.
If they want to do more, it should've been pendulum wars, emergence day or some stuff from the past. 4 and 5 were terrible. new cast is rather bad and it's the defeated enemy again

Wizz-Art

Much that I want already has been said. Simply keep Gears, Gears. Manly high testosterone action fuck the woke shit nonesense, leave that to other propaganda and MGGA.

Ten_Fold

Get rid of robot enemies.
Marcus as main character
More darker areas to explore
Make it less of a shotgun fest(I know that’s been a thing in gears)
The maps for some reason doesn’t feel as fun as the first 3 games. Gears 3 is hard to beat.

Kacho

Gold Member
When you have people on the team publicly stating that they chose to focus on Kait because she was the most interesting character in Gears 4 it’s hard to care. Like, if that’s the bar for what’s considered interesting I’m good.

Modern Gears’ biggest problem is that it has strayed too far from what made the originals great. It’s lost it’s grit. Gears 5 was like a Saturday morning cartoon and all of the dopey humor took me out of the experience.

I think adding those Jack abilities made the game even better. GOW5 is the best in the series.
Open the environments up a bit and allow the player to explore more.

Change that stupid "revive me" animation. Make it so you can utilize sort of resource and revive yo damn self at the expense of something. Insert balance. Idk. Lol

Add more traversal and jumps.

Add some cinematic set pieces here and there just to switch things up between just walking around going bla bla bla.

daycru

The #1 thing they have to fix in Gears 6 is the tone. Gears is a horribly unpleasant universe. There is no Hulu. There is no DoorDash. Everyone has COVID (rust lung). No one is happy. Why are all of the characters snarking like an MCU superhero? Marcus screaming “FUCK YOU!” after chainsawing a locust is so much funnier than any of the “jokes” in the new games.

I understand that Marvel is very popular, and these game devs are all obsessed. And it is their dream to script lines for Captain America. But they will never get that opportunity, and are stuck in the gaming ghetto for a reason. Stop trying to be clever. Tell a simple story involving a bad ass and his bros doing cool things.

Last edited:
I'm not sure there's much point in Gears 6. Release a multiplayer only version and periodic multiplayer expansions for Series X/S then focus energy on a new IP. That way at least the hardcore fans are somewhat appeased and the rest of us get something new. Gears can then be rebooted as a launch game for next gen.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

- Don’t spend too much time on SP campaign;
- Develop multiplayer modes, especially Horde/Escape which are already amazing, add more classes, enemies, strategies and skills;
- Make the SP campaign same as Titanfall where you play different setups of the MP maps with some story between.

It will never happen but that would be amazing.

kuncol02

Banned
The #1 thing they have to fix in Gears 6 is the tone. Gears is a horribly unpleasant universe. There is no Hulu. There is no DoorDash. Everyone has COVID (rust lung). No one is happy. Why are all of the characters snarking like an MCU superhero? Marcus screaming “FUCK YOU!” after chainsawing a locust is so much funnier than any of the “jokes” in the new games.

I understand that Marvel is very popular, and these game devs are all obsessed. And it is their dream to script lines for Captain America. But they will never get that opportunity, and are stuck in the gaming ghetto for a reason. Stop trying to be clever. Tell a simple story involving a bad ass and his bros doing cool things.
But that's the point. Gears 4 and 5 world is (or rather was) optimistic. There is no rust lung (gone with imulsion), no Locust, no Lambent. People are rebuilding civilization with help of clean technologies they actually had in previous games (there was note in GoW3 about solar power being better than immulsion, but it was blocked by corrupted CoG goverment). For first time in almost 100 years you have people born and raised without war around them.
It's also not that everyone is optimistic. Marcus is mourning for his dead wife living in ruined manor waiting and preparing to his final battle, wanting to die as soldier which could never happen.
When you don't have any light in universe then grim dark become parody of itself. When every situation is terrible, then no situation is terrible.

MonarchJT

Banned
I have some ideas

-make it hard AF to beat, less checkpoints
-more enemy types with different attacks.
-vehicles
-destructive environments
-get rid of robot enemies
-epic boss battles at end of each chapter
-more melee weapons
-realisitic injury system affecting movement and aiming
-permadeath for support characters
-less pointless open world travel
-get rid of jack the flying robot

If none of this happens, make it like Hivebusters, not like Gears 5.

What do u guys think?
you understand that souls games are a VERY niche genre that most ppl don't like/ are not interested in ..right ?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Ditch the cover shooter, embrace the DOOM free roaming model. I know this sounds upsetting, but Gears made cover shooters the default back in the day, it's time to do it again with movement based mechanics. I want to go fast and smash into shit.
So much this. I remember playing Gears 1 and thinking how great the cover system was, but now it's just clunky and make you dig in.

kuncol02

Banned
Ditch the cover shooter, embrace the DOOM free roaming model. I know this sounds upsetting, but Gears made cover shooters the default back in the day, it's time to do it again with movement based mechanics. I want to go fast and smash into shit.
Why you want them change Gears into not Gears? They have lots of other games that are not Gear for you? Are you one of these people who feel need to destroy everything they don't like even when other people enjoy it?

Aion002

The Hivebusters dlc is amazing and they should aim at this direction.

Fun characters and stages, maybe add some RPG aspects with skills and stuff... Heck, they could even add some gears customization like armors that give different status allowing different playstyles. It would also be amazing having different playable characters that have unique things, like in the dlc, but even more varied like: agile characters with less health, stealthy ones and even tankier but slower characters...

Also, no open world shit, cool linear stages with multiple paths are the ideal in my opinion, tossing some raids as an extra mode and an horde mode that it is actually new.

Last edited:
Wasn't 4 supposed to do this? They made an ok attempt but it just didn't compare to the original trilogy. You spend half the game fighting robots.. I still preferred the campaign to 5.

5 first act was good, everything after that was pure trash. I have zero faith for 6. Strictly talking about SP campaign here.

And for whoever mentioned WH40k. It is insane nobody hasn't just got the gears formula and made a game out of it. Would work perfectly with 4 man squads, better weapons, so many enemies to fight.

Why you want them change Gears into not Gears? They have lots of other games that are not Gear for you? Are you one of these people who feel need to destroy everything they don't like even when other people enjoy it?

This.

It's like all the retards who want Halo to just not play like Halo. How about they just fuck off and play other games to play? Gears and Halo are bother super unique shooters with big core followings still. Sure neither are as big as they once were but that doesn't mean they should ditch them. Microsoft I think has the right strategy. Create new studios to maintain the legacy games. Just need to make some new IPs alongside them.

kuncol02

Banned
This.

It's like all the retards who want Halo to just not play like Halo. How about they just fuck off and play other games to play? Gears and Halo are bother super unique shooters with big core followings still. Sure neither are as big as they once were but that doesn't mean they should ditch them. Microsoft I think has the right strategy. Create new studios to maintain the legacy games. Just need to make some new IPs alongside them.
Few years ago I realized that IPs don't really mater. What matter is games to play fresh. Would new Doom be better as new IP? Or Gears Tactics? Is Star Wars burden for KOTOR and Jedi Academy or Warhammer 40k for Dawn of War? As long as you have space to tell stories then fact that you use existing IP don't matter. That's also why it's really good that GoW story had big timeskip. Another apocaliptic war just after previosu ones? That would be beyond stupid. IMO they could do even bigger timeskip. I understand why they didn't wanted to do it but I still think that would be better.

Wasn't 4 supposed to do this? They made an ok attempt but it just didn't compare to the original trilogy. You spend half the game fighting robots.. I still preferred the campaign to 5.

5 first act was good, everything after that was pure trash. I have zero faith for 6. Strictly talking about SP campaign here.

And for whoever mentioned WH40k. It is insane nobody hasn't just got the gears formula and made a game out of it. Would work perfectly with 4 man squads, better weapons, so many enemies to fight.
GoW 4 has one of worst protagonists in modern games (the only one worse i can think now is Aiden Pearce). They were somewhat able to fix him in Gears 5. Also mad doctor self driving fridge.
Warhammer is terrible match for gears formula. Space Marines tactics is totally different. There is no point for them to hide behind cover when most of weapons cannot harm them and their armor gives them better protection than cover anyway.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Marcus as main characters

Im ok with JD

But first we need to be sure which one is the canonical ending

JD survives or Dell survives?

Last edited:

Sadfaceotter

Neo Member
More gritty war and destroyed cities with random skirmishes.
Less arena type set piece battles.
The start of a firefight should never be a cutscene.
The end of a firefight should never be signaled by an audio queue and another cutscene.

driqe

Get rid of bulky armor!

The graphics look pretty amazing in Gears 5 but the one thing I feel really makes the game look dated is the bulky armor design! Redesigning that aspect would boost the visual appeal of the game tremendously plus enable them to add better animations.

Besides that major point just stick to great set pieces and possibly take us off earth or introduce entirely new non-locust/non-robot enemies.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I want Gears to say Killer on the cover i want it to stay the FPS bro killing thing it is after multiple years of success turning the corner on more open world growth is great (Gears 5) but let’s put some gears 1 gore level design back in the franchise.

pr0cs

Make more varied gameplay/scenarios.
Bring in the Pesanga and implement a guerrilla / stealth type game mechanic
Lose the robots, they simply aren't fun... at all
Go back to prequels, maybe pendulum wars where Marcus and Dom finally cut their teeth as soldiers, prior to emergence day.

Not sure we have other games that scratch that itch. Gears was top shooter when it came out but IMO those mechanics are a bit outdated and we've gone a full generation without any TPS that was able to touch Max Payne 3 and Vanquish. I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to the fanbase, I just gave my opinion on what I would like to see. Gears was the standard of shooting games when it came out. The path to being that again, IMO, goes through what I suggested. You're free to disagree though.

oldergamer

If i were them i wouldn't listen to people on this forum for feedback. There are some seriously bad suggestions.

But if they do need to add something made up on forums, i would add on top of the core gameplay.

The open world sections should have a lot of enemy encounters. You should team up with more Ai that follow you into combat and take on more enemies at once (ala halo).
Right down to keeping them alive and they continue following you throughout the game. It includes more vehicles, more exploration, more thi gs to find.

Introduce space exploration into the backstory ( combat while in orbit on a space station) zero G combat, and some new enemies from the stars (picturing life forms that are not standard bipeds). Bring back more of the horror aspects. That is where i would start.

Last edited:
Let it die. They blew the reboot and after Gears 4 I won’t touch the series. They will never top Gears 3 and that’s okay.

Only successful modern reboot of a series has been God of War.
That's what I keep saying. Microsoft should be looking for the next halo or gears instead of trying to revive these franchises.

Why does OP say less open world? I’m a few hours into 5. Where are the open world bits??

anyway. I’d say:
- lose the linear corridor set piece structure. Open it up a bit. Not necessarily fully open world but something like monster Hunter maybe. Or destiny.
- add some exploration. Let me get to know an area a bit instead of the constant forward movement of locations.
These two are already in Gears 5. But honestly, it feels like filler. Like the Madagascar section in uncharted 4.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I find Gears to be one of the most dull "AAA" blockbuster franchises.

Actually, I loved it around the time of Gears 2 release. Then I went without an Xbox for about a decade, finally tried Gears 5, and was disappointed to find that it felt exactly like Gears 2. The shooting isn't impactful, the aesthetic is ugly (everything looks like it was made out of metal legos), and the movement is clunky.

I'm not trying to be a hater, I just don't think the series has aged gracefully at all. The IP is, of course, still valuable, so with that in mind, I'd like to see the series turned completely on it's head. Someone, maybe here, once suggested a survival horror turn, and while we don't need a Resident Evil clone, I like that idea much more than a standard "Gears 6".

If they want to remain closer to the original formula, I'd investigate some type of innovative online mechanic that could maybe spice up the gameplay. Maybe something like the Resistance multiplayer that pitted a large amount of players against enemy a.i. Use current tech to make this game actually feel like a war, instead of skirmish after skirmish.

Top Bottom