• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears 6 is Being Prepped for Motion Capture

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Gears 5 JD alive is the cannon ending right ? Right?

Hopefully they back peddle on the ending of 5 and make it so she was hallucinating through the ending or something haha i don't want either of them to die :/

Yeah im hoping they just completely retcon the whole one of them has to die.
Id rather they both be alive.

But if someone has to be dead, then atleast let us choose at the start of the game who died.
I think they really are making life harder for themselves by having to record two versions of the game one with JD and one with Del.

Airbus Jr

Banned
my guess you will choose who lives or dies in the beginning of the next game like how the wolfenstein sequel did it
If they re going that way then the story in 6 they will have to prepare two really different path

The one with JD dead we will have a really dark version of marcus fenix

Guys already lost almost everything teammates, wives, father and now his only son

Wont surprised me he throws himself away in gears 6 like Dom did before

Last edited:

Bergoglio

Gears of War needs a complete overhaul from the ground up.

My God how is it possible that Coalition doesn't understand this after all this iterations? TPS gameplay has evolved.

Gears needs to change gameplay to the same extent as the new God of War, there are entire generations of gamers who could enter the Gears Experience in new ways.

The gameplay should be profoundly modernized, the gunplay must become violently physical to the pad, the cover system should be revisited with courage and applied to something physically freer, similar to Uncharted.

I think this Gears will come old on the market, especially considering Perfect Dark.

The new Perfect Dark is aiming to revolutionize the third person shooter genre and they are pushing fearfully on that.

Last edited:

The Skull

As a massive fan of the series, it shouldn't have gone past 3. The story has concluded and the war had been won.

The swarm are just a downgraded locust and somehow more generic.

The new characters aren't interesting particularly. In 4 JD was too much like Drake from uncharted but he's a lot better in 5. Del was a big nothing burger in 4 but a lot more bearable in 5 and Kait acts like an angry child in each.

The choice at the end of 5 was the dumbest thing I've seen in a while and the campaign's both pale in comparison to the original trilogy, especially some of the interactive details.

Gears never need a semi open world mechanic, that quite frankly is terrible. A tight focused enjoyable Michael bay esque campaign fits the series much better overall and the coalition don't seem to even know what kind of tone they want from the series.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Yeah im hoping they just completely retcon the whole one of them has to die.
Id rather they both be alive.

But if someone has to be dead, then atleast let us choose at the start of the game who died.
I think they really are making life harder for themselves by having to record two versions of the game one with JD and one with Del.
I believe you will choose the fate of the characters but wont matter much because I don’t think they will be in the next game much. My guess it will be kait and Marcus team up game and they will go out and do their own thing just the 2 of them

Mr.ODST

Why don't you just stop playing a game and acting as if the devs were holding a gun to your head to play it. That way, we don't have to hear you complain, those of us who like Gears can still play it, and we all get to play the new IPs coming from TC?

Nevermind. That makes too much sense. Carry on...
Or maybe were on a forum so ill say what ever the fuck I want you wipe

Hayabusa83

Banned
Absolutely not.
If they want to make a looter/shooter title they can make a new IP that borrows heavily from Gears of War.
But Gears 6 just needs to be as tight as Hivebusters with the scale of Gears 2 and Gears 3.

I wouldn't mind some weapon upgrades and customization in single player though. You can still have a good balance of tight controlled and linear gameplay with a few RPG elements. Halo Infinite was pretty nice in this regard.

Honest question, what does gears need to do for its next game to really take the series into the next level. A god of war style of a soft reboot is what is needed, but I’m struggling to think about how the game could change to elevate it to that level.

The gameplay style is sacred and they should change it drastically, and they already did the semi open world type of thing with gears 5. Outside of graphics, I’m not really sure. The ending of gears 5 at least kind of sets Up a whole new world to generate stories from

Beechos

Absolutely not.
If they want to make a looter/shooter title they can make a new IP that borrows heavily from Gears of War.
But Gears 6 just needs to be as tight as Hivebusters with the scale of Gears 2 and Gears 3.
Hivebuster was good but they kind of are already going in that direction. Unique character skills inbhivebuster and that robot helper thing in gears 5. You can only duck, cover, shoot so much. At least that would give the combat some more variety.

My God how is it possible that Coalition doesn't understand this after all this iterations? TPS gameplay has evolved.

Gears needs to change gameplay to the same extent as the new God of War, there are entire generations of gamers who could enter the Gears Experience in new ways.

The gameplay should be profoundly modernized, the gunplay must become violently physical to the pad, the cover system should be revisited with courage and applied to something physically freer, similar to Uncharted.

I think this Gears will come old on the market, especially considering Perfect Dark.

The new Perfect Dark is aiming to revolutionize the third person shooter genre and they are pushing fearfully on that.
Have you played gears 5? The game play is pretty fucking modern and fluid lmao. One of the best TPS shooters I’ve ever played in terms of raw gameplay

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They just need to give gives gear 6 outriders type rpg/loot/gear mechanics
The Office No GIF

CitizenZ

Banned
I think the series is good for its time, but I couldnt even get anyone to buy it to buy and play co op when it was on sale for $10 last year. Its a series like most, they just go through the motions and the result is fine for the remaining fans, but its a studio that probably could be better.

Goalus

The locust aren't that interesting. They make for great villains because of their design, but the story about them wasn't what made Gears of War appealing. What made Gears of War appealing is its striking visual design as it takes place in a war thorn environment. It's the sense of camaraderie that developed between 4 characters coming from different backgrounds that were forced to work together as a unit. Yes it was very much a "Bro" shooter in every sense of the word, but it embraced that and its better for it.
Says who?
The locust are one of the distinctive characteristics of the Gears universe. If the villains were nazi soldiers in a generic WW2 setting or zombies in a generic zombie apocalyse setting, it wouldn't make a difference is essentially what you're saying.
That's just your opinion.
...And then we get to the new Gears of War trilogy. Enter J.D. Fenix, a character that is trying so hard to be like Uncharted's main character that the D might as well stand for Drake.
You seem to dislike the fact that he isn't a carbon copy of Marcus. Well, that's what I like about him. How interesting would it be if he was exactly the same type of person?
Then we have Kat, a character that gets promoted to main character in Gears 5 because we need a strong female protagonist now. She is, of course, promoted to leader of the group and is allowed to scold superiors before going AWOL to "Find herself" during a war effort because the franchise now puts progressive themes over logical consistencies. Del is there to comic relief and through the power of friendship this group of people will save the world.
Kait becoming the lead is indeed owed to the current social climate. With her I am just relieved that it turned out as it did because it could have been much worse. Storywise, if "finding herself", as you phrase it, is preventing her mother from making her the new swarm queen, then again that is a pretty big deal, and any COG soldier who knows anything about the locust should understand that this should have higher priority than anything else.
Del was a pretty bland character in Gears 5, but you left out Fahz who had a great development from a bully to becoming friends with JD and has a lot of traits that the woke crowd would hate.
Saying "Only people who don't care about the franchise would want a reset" is asinine. The franchise is clearly on the wrong track and the aspects that once made it great (Its fantastic cover based shooting) have been replicated or done better by other games. There have been 6 of these games now. 7 if we include the remake. This franchise could use a God of War 2018 or BOTW style reimagination of the franchise.
Asinine is wanting to play as Marcus Fenix for all eternity, as that essentially prevents the universe from evolving. I want to know what comes after the swarm, maybe see a new generation of characters. He will be a grandad at best then. I you are fine with playing in the same setting with the same characters for all eternity, then be my guest, but please speak for yourself only.

Gameplay-wise TC are more than welcome to change whatever they see fit.

Last edited:

mrqs

Have you played gears 5? The game play is pretty fucking modern and fluid lmao. One of the best TPS shooters I’ve ever played in terms of raw gameplay
I wouldn't say that the gameplay is "modern".

Since I've got my Series X after being away from the Xbox ecosystem for 10 years, I decided to replay GeoW 1 and unfortunately the game got extremely old in almost every aspect.

GeoW 4 and 5 are better and more polished, for sure, but the structure of gameplay is really odd for today's standards.

Rykan

Says who?
The locust are one of the distinctive characteristics of the Gears universe. If the villains were nazi soldiers in a generic WW2 setting or zombies in a generic zombie apocalyse setting, it wouldn't make a difference is essentially what you're saying.
That's just your opinion.
That's literally what I've said. They make for great villains because of the way they look. The lore behind them isn't really all that compelling.

Of course it's "just my opinion", much in the same way that what you're saying is "just your opinion".
You seem to dislike the fact that he isn't a carbon copy of Marcus. Well, that's what I like about him. How interesting would it be if he was exactly the same type of person?
That's not at all what I've said or even implied. I've said that Marcus Fenix is a much more interesting and much better developed character than he is. JD is generic video game hero 101 in a post Uncharted world. Heck, just for laughs: Type in Gears of War 4 JD Nathan Drake into Google. I'm not the only one who has noticed that JD is basically just a poor mans Nathan Drake. The same quips, same way of talking. Even his design looks somewhat similar.
Kait becoming the lead is indeed owed to the current social climate. With her I am just relieved that it turned out as it did because it could have been much worse. Storywise, if "finding herself", as you phrase it, is preventing her mother from making her the new swarm queen, then again that is a pretty big deal, and any COG soldier who knows anything about the locust should understand that this should have higher priority than anything else.
She doesn't know that the moment that she set out. She's just "Looking for answers" about her mother when she decides to go AWOL. This happens right after she is allowed to scream "Screw you and your orders"! as a new recruit against a superior officer in what is supposed to be a brutal military regime. The fact that there was literally an entire game dedicated to what happens when soldiers disobey orders makes this all the more ridiculous.
Del was a pretty bland character in Gears 5, but you left out Fahz who had a great development from a bully to becoming friends with JD and has a lot of traits that the woke crowd would hate.
I don't care about "Traits that X people hate". Fahz only shows up for like what..30 - 50% of Gears 5? He's not present in Gears 4 either. He does have the most potential out of all the new characters though.
Asinine is wanting to play as Marcus Fenix for all eternity, as that essentially prevents the universe from evolving. I want to know what comes after the swarm, maybe see a new generation of characters. He will be a grandad at best then. I you are fine with playing in the same setting with the same characters for all eternity, then be my guest, but please speak for yourself only.
At no point have I said that. What I have said is that the old cast was much better than the new cast and this becomes even more apparent every time the old cast comes back on screen. I'm okay with moving on to new characters, but the new characters have to be interesting and as of now, they are not.

Of course I'm only speaking for myself. Are you new to online message boards?

Goalus

That's literally what I've said. They make for great villains because of the way they look. The lore behind them isn't really all that compelling.
And I say it is, so it seems to be a matter of opinion. And whoever agrees with me will feel like being in heaven throughout the entire act 2 of Gears 5.
That's not at all what I've said or even implied. I've said that Marcus Fenix is a much more interesting and much better developed character than he is. JD is generic video game hero 101 in a post Uncharted world. Heck, just for laughs: Type in Gears of War 4 JD Nathan Drake into Google. I'm not the only one who has noticed that JD is basically just a poor mans Nathan Drake. The same quips, same way of talking. Even his design looks somewhat similar.
I don't care at all whom he shares similarities with. The impression I got during Gears 4 is that he is reckless and irresponsible and has probably disappointed his dad multiple times, while often relying on him to get him out of a tight spot. This behavior culminates in his actions at the end of act 1 of Gears 5. What we do not learn is how he became like that. Was it due to the death of his mother? I would like to know actually.
She doesn't know that the moment that she set out. She's just "Looking for answers" about her mother when she decides to go AWOL. This happens right after she is allowed to scream "Screw you and your orders"! as a new recruit against a superior officer in what is supposed to be a brutal military regime. The fact that there was literally an entire game dedicated to what happens when soldiers disobey orders makes this all the more ridiculous.
She does know who her grandma is and can probably do the math after having these visions all of a sudden. Her relationship with JD Fenix is also wildly different than the one between Baird and Loomis, even though the exchange you're referring to is happening on a professional level.
I don't care about "Traits that X people hate".
You were the one who brought Woko Haram into the discussion. I was just stating that Gears 5 managed to dodge a bullet in that regard.
Fahz only shows up for like what..30 - 50% of Gears 5? He's not present in Gears 4 either. He does have the most potential out of all the new characters though.
It's nice that we can agree on something at least.
At no point have I said that. What I have said is that the old cast was much better than the new cast and this becomes even more apparent every time the old cast comes back on screen. I'm okay with moving on to new characters, but the new characters have to be interesting and as of now, they are not.
If you had said 'the swarm is just a cheap ripoff of the locust' I would have agreed. That is the only flaw of the new trilogy in my opinion, and I hope that some time in the far future, humans and locust will work together against a totally new threat, even becoming friends in the process.
Of course I'm only speaking for myself. Are you new to online message boards?
No, to me your post just read like you were speaking för all Gears fans. Sorry if I misread that.

Ozriel

M$FT

At that point, they’d have to make an entirely new IP.

These God of War analogies aren’t exactly apt, since God of War is single player and doesn’t have an MP mode with fans. You’d risk completely alienating the existing MP fanbase.

Anime-Vix

At that point, they’d have to make an entirely new IP.

These God of War analogies aren’t exactly apt, since God of War is single player and doesn’t have an MP mode with fans. You’d risk completely alienating the existing MP fanbase.
The multiplayer in Gears 5 didn’t last long. They literally ended support after 2 years. A big change is needed. If players want the classic experience, All of the previous Gears games are available to play.

Valt7786

The multiplayer in Gears 5 didn’t last long. They literally ended support after 2 years. A big change is needed. If players want the classic experience, All of the previous Gears games are available to play.
That's cause they kept fucking with gun balance during those 2 years. Didn't help it launched in a sorry fuckin' state as well in terms of playable characters, maps and modes, locking a LOT of them behind high priced MTX's when they finally did start putting them out. Horde mode was also a big bag of shit with it's class system locked to characters as well. It took them too long to go back on it and give the community what they actually wanted. Gears 5 MP is actually pretty solid now but it took them too long to get there and the community has died off big time.

Top Bottom