• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 Announced. November. 360 Exclusive.

Treo360

Borys said:
Was bluheim really a troll? I don't remember his posts much. Snah's and tjhooker's trolling is engraveled in my mind.

I guess he was a pretty weak-ass troll.

Pretty much in the vein of tjhooker, more like a diet Tjhooker.

Constant one line trolls moja kolego.

Ike said:
10:13
Speaking of Gears 2, apparently Microsoft will be showing a 1 minute trailer using the in-game engine. Sweet...

From Live GDC blog- http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8635261&publicUserId=4561231

Nice

RavenFox

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Console exclusive to the 360, I hope? It'd be a shame if we couldn't get to experience Gears 2 in the same way we have experienced Gears on PC, at highest quality levels and at a smooth 60fps.
I doubt that

Aske

scoobs said:
Things gears of war 2 needs to improve upon the first game.

-A story
-A game that lasts longer than 6 hours
-A multiplayer component that isn't technically flawed (host lag problems)

-Ninjas
-A Silent Hill-esque 'other' world
-Arguably better triggers
-Cats
-Will Arnett
-Baird

Borys said:
:lol @ the SDF brigade saying stuff like:

"this isn't official"

"I could write that PR"

"probably on PC next year"

"how's that exclusive?"
Lol Boyrs

You know it will be on the pc sooner or later. Like the first one.
Borys said:
Was bluheim really a troll? I don't remember his posts much. Snah's and tjhooker's trolling is engraveled in my mind.

I guess he was a pretty weak-ass troll.
Wow :lol

I'm still interested to check this out. That stuff above was just too funny.

traveler

Not Wario
Frigging system wars crap yet AGAIN. Jesus, GAF, can you let up for at least a week? I particularly love how all the same people who continually trash the PC's viability as a gaming platform now champion its inevitable housing of GeOW2 the superior version. (Aside from AA, who is always championing the PC)

Doc Evils

Tom Penny said:
How is the PC verion on the first one? I almost bought it the other day. I wasn't sure if it would run like crap.

If you have a decent PC, it runs really nice in DX10 with AA. I actually prefer keyboard and mouse for this type of game.

BeeDog

Really interested in seeing how much they've improved the graphics (if anything). Hopefully the campaign is much better than the first one too.

.... this reminded me, I need to buy the first game to the PC some day (when I can find it cheap).

Zezboob

The Faceless Master said:
hopefully the netcode doesn't suck
I wish :/

Cerrius said:
many many things were wrong with the multi.

lancer = crap, matches devolved into a bunch of random shotgun spamming, not to mention all the glitches and the crappy in game browser, no matchmaking, etc. etc.

but hey those graphics were nice amirite
So true.
Add the lack of options (impossible to change the options without creating another lobby, impossible to force the players to change teams on private match etc... well, all the classics), the big host advantage and team matchmaking (damn, the cooperation is so important on a game like Gears....)

Pein

Banned
Absolutely loved the first it was my first 360 game and co op was a blast to play hope they have 4 man co op this time around and fix multi player

Z3F

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Console exclusive to the 360, I hope? It'd be a shame if we couldn't get to experience Gears 2 in the same way we have experienced Gears on PC, at highest quality levels and at a smooth 60fps.

Don't you only have a 320mb 8800 GTS? I have a 8800 Ultra and the PC version still ran like shit. There's nothing more annoying than a 60fps game hitching and stuttering every 5s or so. Others with similar configs as mine have been having the same problems. I wonder if this is one of those weird bugs where the game actually ran better on a low-memory videocard because it's similar to the 360 gpu.

The 360 version only ran at 30fps but at least it was mostly smooth.

Borys

Banned
traveler said:
Frigging system wars crap yet AGAIN. Jesus, GAF, can you let up for at least a week? I particularly love how all the same people who continually trash the PC's viability as a gaming platform now champion its inevitable housing of GeOW2 the superior version. (Aside from AA, who is always championing the PC)

Yeah that irked me on the first 2 pages as well because it is me who usually starts this crap.

Z3F said:
Don't you only have a 320mb 8800 GTS? I have a 8800 Ultra and the PC version still ran like shit. There's nothing more annoying than a 60fps game hitching and stuttering every 5s or so. Others with similar configs as mine have been having the same problems. I wonder if this is one of those weird bugs where the game actually ran better on a low-memory videocard because it's similar to the 360 gpu.

What resolution did you run? I played it at 720 at the highest quality levels, and it ran at a smooth 60fps. The only times I encountered any slowdown were in the additional levels. I was actually surprised as I later read reviews that complained about the beastly hardware requirements, but I assumed that they were playing at higher resolutions.

Doc Evils

Z3F said:

What's your system specs? it was smooth for me.

Z3F

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
What resolution did you run? I played it at 720 at the highest quality levels, and it ran at a smooth 60fps. The only times I encountered any slowdown were in the additional levels. I was actually surprised as I later read reviews that complained about the beastly hardware requirements, but I assumed that they were playing at higher resolutions.

1920x1200. I don't think the problems are due to me pushing my videocard too high because it's always 60fps when not hitching. Also, lowering the resolution to 1680x1050 didn't fix the problems. There are even people with 2x8800 GTX that've been having this stuttering problem.

Did you get any crashes? Many people also had crashing problems before the latest patch. I'm guessing this is one of those games that either ran well on your system or it didn't, regardless of hardware power, i.e the original release of Half-life 2.

Doc Evils said:
What's your system specs? it was smooth for me.

Core 2 duo at 3.6 ghz, 4gbs ram, 8800 GTX Ultra

Aske

Z3F said:
There's nothing more annoying than a 60fps game hitching and stuttering every 5s or so.

So true. I'm all for advancing the 60fps standard, but Gears is one of few action games that didn't suffer at 30 in the least. That said, it would be fantastic to see Epic pull off a constant 60fps in the 360 version of Gears 2.

JimiNutz

Banned
I hope Gears 2 has improved chainsaw killing. B should rev it up but then you should be able to use the right stick to carve locusts up right good and proper. Hopefully it lets us hack of limbs ala Ninja Gaiden 2:D

videogames turn men into blood thirsty chainsaw killers

Oh yeah and what are the chances of them including the missing chapters from GeOW in GeOW2?

Doc Evils

Z3F said:
1920x1200. I don't think the problems are due to me pushing my videocard too high because it's always 60fps when not hitching. Also, lowering the resolution to 1680x1050 didn't fix the problems. There are even people with 2x8800 GTX that've been having this stuttering problem.

Did you get any crashes? Many people also had crashing problems before the latest patch. I'm guessing this is one of those games that either ran well on your system or it didn't, regardless of hardware power, i.e the original release of Half-life 2.

Core 2 duo at 3.6 ghz, 4gbs ram, 8800 GTX Ultra

Ah I see. I played the game for one whole day with the patch installed without a hitch. You got vista or XP?

dk_

bluheim
Banned
(Today, 11:59 AM)
Reply | Quote

YAY, poor bluheim was only a couple of hours on my ignore list. :-(

NutJobJim said:
I hope Gears 2 has improved chainsaw killing. B should rev it up but then you should be able to use the right stick to carve locusts up right good and proper. Hopefully it lets us hack of limbs ala Ninja Gaiden 2:D

videogames turn men into blood thirsty chainsaw killers

Oh yeah and what are the chances of them including the missing chapters from GeOW in GeOW2?

The ones that were in the PC version, you mean? Those were sort of shit, actually. They felt out of place, and had shit like "activate the three switches to open door" littered about. Not very impressive.

Z3F

Banned
Doc Evils said:
Ah I see. I played the game for one whole day with the patch installed without a hitch. You got vista or XP?

Both. The hitching and crashing were present in both OSes. Also, for some weird reason, the game will be corrupted if I try to play it in the OS where it wasn't registered as being installed. It wouldn't even work in the original OS unless I completely reinstall it. I've never gotten that kind of problem with any other game that works with both DX9 and DX10. Go check out Epic's forum for the tons of users that have been complaining about the various issues. This is one of those ports where I feel buyers should get back a $20 refund.

I'd be fine if the graphics didn't see an increase but we got 60 fps. The base gameplay in Gears with the latest patch is really good now. Its just the lack of matchmaking, bullet lag, etc is really annoying. Matchmaking + 60 fps + no bullet lag would be sexy for gears 2. I hope they bring a lot of the old maps back as well as make new ones. The old gears maps were well balanced and really good, so it'd be a shame to just dump them.

Dark FaZe said:
I'd be fine if the graphics didn't see an increase but we got 60 fps. The base gameplay in Gears with the latest patch is really good now. Its just the lack of matchmaking, bullet lag, etc is really annoying. Matchmaking + 60 fps + no bullet lag would be sexy for gears 2. I hope they bring a lot of the old maps back as well as make new ones. The old gears maps were well balanced and really good, so it'd be a shame to just dump them.

Im pretty sure it'll stay at rock solid 30 with increased visuals.

Kosma

Banned
I want pictures and movies dammit.

Gears was my first next gen game and it holds a special place in my heart <3

ManaByte

Gold Member
Z3F said:
Killzone 2 vs Gears 2 probably makes more sense.

Resistance 2 WILL make it this year. This is Insomiac we're talking about here. The game will be on shelves in time to fight Gears 2. Killzone is honestly up in the air right now.

Top Bottom