• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

I highly recommend all of you to read the prequel before Gears 2. The back-story to the universe is amazing, and there are quite a few Gears 1 references in there.

You get an amazing sense of who Marcus is, and there is an interesting twist to how the Hammer of Dawn came about. Also, there are two story arcs. One focusing on Marcus and Dom's childhood along with of course the Battle of Aspho Fields, and the other takes place hours after the Lightmass bombing at the end of the first game, and includes the main four, along with Tai. There is a large focus on Marcus' relationships with his father and Hoffman. It does fill in some gaps.

I'm still about 1/3 of the way from finishing, but I am loving it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ThirdEngine said:
I highly recommend all of you to read the prequel before Gears 2. The back-story to the universe is amazing, and there are quite a few Gears 1 references in there.

You get an amazing sense of who Marcus is, and there is an interesting twist to how the Hammer of Dawn came about. Also, there are two story arcs. One focusing on Marcus and Dom's childhood along with of course the Battle of Aspho Fields, and the other takes place hours after the Lightmass bombing at the end of the first game, and includes the main four, along with Tai. There is a large focus on Marcus' relationships with his father and Hoffman. It does fill in some gaps.

Continue the spoiler tag of the info. I don't have the patience to read a book. :lol If possible, could you PM me the gaps/secrets that get unveiled in the novel?

Domino Theory said:
Continue the spoiler tag of the info. I don't have the patience to read a book. :lol If possible, could you PM me the gaps/secrets that get unveiled in the novel?
Sure. I'll probably finish it tomorrow so I'll do it then.

h3ro said:
MedicalGAF Unite!! :D (graduated last May, year off for charity work and research)

Back OT, I'm curious, how many of you guys are going to jump straight into MP or horde opposed to starting the SP campaign?

Campaign. I want it over with as soon as possible so I can just play multi from that point onward. I'll probably play a few bot matches until my partner gets online though.

Aladuf

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Campaign. I want it over with as soon as possible so I can just play multi from that point onward. I'll probably play a few bot matches until my partner gets online though.
Are you playing the game on co-op the first time through?

p3tran

Banned
TheDayday said:
Whoa, official thread is up! Nice!

My Gears of War 2 Video Review... Tried my best to keep it completely spoiler free plot-wise.

There are a few seconds of clips from major fight scenes/bosses and new enemies, so please don't watch if you feel that is a spoiler.

Hope you guys enjoy otherwise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-uJipGTqfo&fmt=18

nice. I believe that there are 50 levels on horde (not 15).

imo gears 2 is the signature game of this generation

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
h3ro said:
MedicalGAF Unite!! :D (graduated last May, year off for charity work and research)

Back OT, I'm curious, how many of you guys are going to jump straight into MP or horde opposed to starting the SP campaign?

I'll go right into SP and at least do the first Act to freshen up, then try MP a bit. I haven't played in a long time so going right into multi would be hilarious amounts of fail.

Dark FaZe said:

Wait, wait..they're adding the option to play bots on the MP maps this time? If so, I would really like that, to be honest.

Dirtbag

Has their been any review that has anything specific to say about the game's soundtrack yet?
I was so pleasantly surprised by the first Gears soundtrack, and really never pictured the game's musical score to be such a high point like it turned out to be (for me). The dread and menace in the big horns was just EPIC for lack of a better word, and the highs and lows on tracks like the Beserker Encounter II were pretty memorable (my inner Marty O' Donnell approves).

The soundtrack really reminded me of the predator movies, only modernized and better put together.

Stillmatic

TheDayday said:
Whoa, official thread is up! Nice!

My Gears of War 2 Video Review... Tried my best to keep it completely spoiler free plot-wise.

There are a few seconds of clips from major fight scenes/bosses and new enemies, so please don't watch if you feel that is a spoiler.

Hope you guys enjoy otherwise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-uJipGTqfo&fmt=18

That was great, and got me more hyped than most of the media released ever did. :D

JimiNutz

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Concering badass trailer that launched today: Is that
Marcus Fenix's dad on the monitor?

Are you talking about this trailer?
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42088.html
If so, what part are you talking about?

ThirdEngine said:

Goddamnit. I was looking forward to reading this before Gears 2 hit and the book was scheduled to come out in the UK same time as US, then at the last minute they pushed it back and now there's no way I'll be able to read it in time before Gears 2.

Feindflug

WTF guys? I just got a mail from the store that I pre-ordered the CE that tomorrow I'll have my copy...also they have the game in stock in their site.

If it's not a mistake prepare for photos/impressions tomorrow. :D

adelante

WOW AWESOME JOB ON THE REVIEW TheDayday!!! I know u had to cram in all the necessary details into a 10min video, hence the "quick-speech" but hey man, thanks to you, I'm WAY more hyped for the game than ever!@!!!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dirtbag said:
Has their been any review that has anything specific to say about the game's soundtrack yet?
I was so pleasantly surprised by the first Gears soundtrack, and really never pictured the game's musical score to be such a high point like it turned out to be (for me). The dread and menace in the big horns was just EPIC for lack of a better word, and the highs and lows on tracks like the Beserker Encounter II were pretty memorable (my inner Marty O' Donnell approves).

The soundtrack really reminded me of the predator movies, only modernized and better put together.
I haven't seen any mentions of it, but it should be noted that Kevin Riepl did not compose the Gears of War 2 soundtrack. It was handled by Steve Jablonsky...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413011/

Kibbles

NutJobJim said:
Are you talking about this trailer?
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42088.html
If so, what part are you talking about?

Goddamnit. I was looking forward to reading this before Gears 2 hit and the book was scheduled to come out in the UK same time as US, then at the last minute they pushed it back and now there's no way I'll be able to read it in time before Gears 2.
I believe he's talking about right at the end of the trailer, where Dom and Marcus are running from an explosion or something.

Wizman23

Banned
Chinner said:
Not sure how to react to this. Gears1 had pretty awesome moosic.

They brought in a guy that does Hollywood Blockbuster films for the soundtrack. I'm sure the music will be even more epic then the first

Dirtbag

dark10x said:
I haven't seen any mentions of it, but it should be noted that Kevin Riepl did not compose the Gears of War 2 soundtrack. It was handled by Steve Jablonsky...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413011/

Well this should be interesting.
So the game is being scored by a guy who's only scored movies vs. a guy who only scored games. I wonder if I'll notice a big difference. I'm interested.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I wanna watch the review, but I think I'll wait till I beat the Campaign first...

Oh and I just realized that I never posted a pic of the Gears 2 beanie I got from the European LE pre-order kit - it's high-quality, maybe I'll post a pic of it later tonight or so...

Tieno said:
Anyone know yet if the US version is region free?

It is, since pirates worldwide are using it, plus every MS-published game is region-free from the US...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, I am sure I won't be going to the midnight thanks to a fucking test that Friday. Is the Hammerburst code only for midnight launch or all pre-orders?

Dirtbag said:
dumb and dumber.

This is what the difficulty slider looks like.

DUMB <---------------|---------> DUMBER

Edit: Regardless, I will have fun with the bots. I don't have a great connection right now.

Relix said:
So, I am sure I won't be going to the midnight thanks to a fucking test that Friday. Is the Hammerburst code only for midnight launch or all pre-orders?
Midnight launch. I've got two classes next Friday myself, so I'm just going to grab my copy at midnight and wait until I get home from class that morning to start playing.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ThirdEngine said:
Midnight launch. I've got two classes next Friday myself, so I'm just going to grab my copy at midnight and wait until I get home from class that morning to start playing.

The test is at 9AM :lol How will I have slept enough to get to do a test that infernal =P

Aladuf

Banned
No classes on Friday's FTW! :D

I only have classes Mon-Thursday and 1 online class that has assignments due on Saturday nights. I'll be good to go after the midnight launch and on that Friday.

Aladuf said:

I only have classes Mon-Thursday and 1 online class that has assignments due on Saturday nights. I'll be good to go after the midnight launch and on that Friday.
Bastard! :lol

It's not a big deal to me, though. I tried to start GTA IV as soon as I got home from the launch and fell asleep about half an hour later. So next Friday morning on the way home I'm getting the biggest fuckin' cup of coffee I can find and I'm good to go.

desertdroog

The music for that Last Day trailer is by Denver, Colorado's own DeVotchKa and is called "How It Ends".

I've been a fan for years, they do their Engineering in Tucson, Az and put on a fantastic show if you can catch them live. They mix everything from a Russian Folk to Mariachi and everything in between.

http://devotchka.net/

Aladuf

Banned
Oh yeah, speaking of the Last Day trailer, I just noticed that it's available for download on the XBLM. It may have been available for download for a little while now, I'm not sure, I just happened to check for any new Gears 2 stuff while I was getting ready to dl the Tomb Raider and Banjo demos.

Aladuf said:

No Friday classes here either.
I took Friday off work too!

Top Bottom