• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Brakara

F#A#Oo said:
I agree pretty much...

It's amazing how you only see certain things when it's pointed out to you. :D

Yeah, don't get me wrong as Horde is easily the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game in a long, long time. But after playing it close to 100 hours, it needs to have those issues "fixed" in order for me to pick it up again.

Kibbles

Another fix is coming? The fuck? Didn't they just release one like a week ago? Oh well, as long as they are fixing it, I'm happy.

DuckRacer

Sorry if this has already been answered, but are they still shipping new Gears 2 copies with the flashback map pack code? Or was that a launch-only thing?

h3ro

DuckRacer said:
Sorry if this has already been answered, but are they still shipping new Gears 2 copies with the flashback map pack code? Or was that a launch-only thing?

It should be in every new copy, regardless of whether it was at launch or now.

It's been cathartic to be able to play on a regular basis again. I'm glad Epic is listening and cannot wait for TU3. The new tweaks have been a little hard to get used to, but ultimately it's for the better and really can't complain about much else.

Map rotations need moar Ruins. Badly.

bumpkin

Man, I do not *get* how the rank stuff works at all. After putting in over a day of playing time in MP -- according to the official site stats -- I finally got up to rank 2. I was pumped and ready to kick some ass! Dare I say I felt some added confidence from the added rank. So I proceeded to play a few matches, and then after losing a match to some players with a collective higher rank than my team's, my rank dropped back to 1. WTF! Fucking lame.

I'll be glad if they switch it to something that's based more on how much you play than their bullshit imaginary "TrueSkill" formula.

Aladuf

Banned
bumpkin said:
Man, I do not *get* how the rank stuff works at all. After putting in over a day of playing time in MP -- according to the official site stats -- I finally got up to rank 2. I was pumped and ready to kick some ass! Dare I say I felt some added confidence from the added rank. So I proceeded to play a few matches, and then after losing a match to some players with a collective higher rank than my team's, my rank dropped back to 1. WTF! Fucking lame.

I'll be glad if they switch it to something that's based more on how much you play than their bullshit imaginary "TrueSkill" formula.
I still don't get the rank either, just over a month ago there was always a group of 5 of us who'd play for hours together every night for about 2 weeks. We worked together pretty damn well and won the heavy majority of our matches but not one of us ever ranked up. So, the other day me and Third are playing some matches and we were losing... badly. After a couple of hours of that I said "I can't believe our rank is remaining the same this whole time, it never changes." and right then (because I said it as we lost another match) my rank dropped down to 2.

Gears needs rank based on XP or at least something that makes sense.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
DuckRacer said:
Still in the new copies. Look for the sticker on the front to be sure. :

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I've finally figured it out.

Gears of War = golf.

No matter how good you think you are, the game does a great job of humbling you when you least expect it. Sometimes you score poorly because you're just not on your game (you're taking the club too far inside, grip is too strong/you're rushing the power weapons when outnumbered, forget that the current round has grenades and run into a plant), sometimes you score poorly as a result of bad luck (ball landed in a poorly fixed divot on the fairway, you put too much backspin on the ball and it went from the green to the drink/you run into a bunch of party chat guys, one guy has a super host shotgun).

Like golf, I can go and play well 2 or 3 times in a row. I think, "hey, I'm not that bad at this game!" Just when I think I have it figured out, I have a round from hell. Nothing goes my way. And you're thinking I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING DIFFERENTLY! Like today, for example. I was just fucking killing it. I went something like 8-2, 16-3, 12-2 in a row. Then on Blood Drive I get my ass absolutely handed to me. I end up 1-6 or something. Sometimes you're just shaking your head with disbelief with your end score. Like golf! Golf can smack you upside the head when you least expect it. One round you think you're the next Tiger Woods and the next round you finish saying "I'm never playing this fucking game again."

I love both :lol

bumpkin

RSTEIN said:
I've finally figured it out.

Gears of War = golf.

No matter how good you think you are, the game does a great job of humbling you when you least expect it. Sometimes you score poorly because you're just not on your game (you're taking the club too far inside, grip is too strong/you're rushing the power weapons when outnumbered, forget that the current round has grenades and run into a plant), sometimes you score poorly as a result of bad luck (ball landed in a poorly fixed divot on the fairway, you put too much backspin on the ball and it went from the green to the drink/you run into a bunch of party chat guys, one guy has a super host shotgun).

Like golf, I can go and play well 2 or 3 times in a row. I think, "hey, I'm not that bad at this game!" Just when I think I have it figured out, I have a round from hell. Nothing goes my way. And you're thinking I'M NOT DOING ANYTHING DIFFERENTLY! Like today, for example. I was just fucking killing it. I went something like 8-2, 16-3, 12-2 in a row. Then on Blood Drive I get my ass absolutely handed to me. I end up 1-6 or something. Sometimes you're just shaking your head with disbelief with your end score. Like golf! Golf can smack you upside the head when you least expect it. One round you think you're the next Tiger Woods and the next round you finish saying "I'm never playing this fucking game again."

I love both :lol
I too love golf and Gears 2. However, I find that I love MP when it's modes like Horde, Annex or King of the Hill (only on certain maps). However when it's Warzone, Execution or Guardian, I find myself asking "why am I playing this online, again?" I frequently feel outclassed by the 3, 4 and 5 rank players who obviously do nothing but play the game all day, every day. Moreover, I also find that the people who have these ranks tend to be loud-mouthed bigots or simply utilize some really lame tactics. Some choice bits from last night...

deebonez: Was throwing the word, "ni**er" left and right along with a dozen other curse words, completely without provocation (it got worse when my teammate started talking shit). Ironically, we also found out he was white.

m0neyMac: Plain and simply was shouting curse words every time his team lost a round. Proceeded to make derogatory remarks about some other players' gamertags; one including a comment about fucking their mother and her swallowing his load.

stonerstan02: Did nothing but rush the power weapons every round and then proceeded to camp... Sorry, I just think this is a lame tactic.

Really, it's dumb and unnecessary to be so hateful and vulgar to other players. But I suppose this is the Internet, so it's to be expected that for every decent player who's respectful, there's ten who are pricks. *shrug*

Zoltrix

Are any of you playing Horde tonight? I'm sick and can't go out :( I'm an average player I suppose, but an excellent teammate. I'm East Coast North America.

bumpkin

joshuagor44 said:
Are any of you playing Horde tonight? I'm sick and can't go out :( I'm an average player I suppose, but an excellent teammate. I'm East Coast North America.
I may be up for some Horde tonight. If you're in, maybe we can find three other players to take it on. I'm thinking we start at wave 20 and play on River... Seems to be the map with the best odds and a nice placement of power weapons and 'nades for fortifying a fortress. :D

Anyone else in? Shall we set up a time?

My gamertag is DaveB1980

Zoltrix

bumpkin said:
I may be up for some Horde tonight. If you're in, maybe we can find three other players to take it on. I'm thinking we start at wave 20 and play on River... Seems to be the map with the best odds and a nice placement of power weapons and 'nades for fortifying a fortress. :D

Anyone else in? Shall we set up a time?

My gamertag is DaveB1980

I'm down with that if we can get three others. I agree that River is the best. Just I think maybe wave 21 would be a better starting point? At 21 the enemy cycle restarts.

NG28

Anyone got some advice on how to use shotgun? I feel like every time I actually aim the shotgun does shit even when I hit them. But when I don't aim and just shoot they die in 1-2 hits. Whereas aiming takes like 3-4.

FrankT

NYCC 09: Gears of War Prequel Talk

Gears 2 writer hints that an E-Day game isn't out of the question.

February 7, 2009 - It seemed like one of those fan questions that Joshua Ortega, the writer of Gears of War 2, would dance around during tonight's New York Comic-Con Gears of War panel -- were there plans for doing a prequel that dealt with the events of E-Day, the day the Locust emerged and attacked the human race?

"You will not be disappointed in the next ten years," Ortega said. "It's a ten-year plan. Gears is long-term. The lancer is the new lightsaber."

On a panel focusing on all things Gears, the E-Day tidbit stood out from the pack. Sure, it was cool to see Carlos Ferro, the voice of Dom, mock his own performance and talk about his library of Gears-branded collectibles, and it was fun to listen to the panel talk about the comic book bridging the first games and the second game, but the mention of a decade's worth of Crimson Omens is the statement that got the room of fanboys all hot and bothered.

Another question that got the crowd going: are there plans for more single-player Gears of War 2 DLC?

"Keep watching," Ortega said. "You won't be disappointed."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/952/952452p1.html

bumpkin

joshuagor44 said:
I'm down with that if we can get three others. I agree that River is the best. Just I think maybe wave 21 would be a better starting point? At 21 the enemy cycle restarts.
Alright, coo'. What's your gamertag? I'll add you to my list.

So I guess the gauntlet is officially thrown down... We need three other players for some Horde tonight; who's in? 11pm (EST) would work best for me... Got some stuff to do before I settle down with a controller.

NG28

bumpkin said:
Alright, coo'. What's your gamertag? I'll add you to my list.

So I guess the gauntlet is officially thrown down... We need three other players for some Horde tonight; who's in? 11pm (EST) would work best for me... Got some stuff to do before I settle down with a controller.

I'll play some Horde

GT: TeddyKGB AAs

JB1981

Good games, guys. I had a few good games but overall I am still shit! LOL. It's so much more fun playing with a group of good guys, though. And I have a newfound appreciation for the new maps (i used to hate them).

Stantron

OK, I just lost my entire in-game war journal achievement tracking (except story ones). They all got reset to zero. Fuck this glitchy ass game, I feel like breaking my disc in half. :(

Stantron said:
OK, I just lost my entire in-game war journal achievement tracking (except story ones). They all got reset to zero. Fuck this glitchy ass game, I feel like breaking my disc in half. :(
And then you realised achievements are worthless.

Right?

bumpkin

Flunkie said:
Tried playing a little tonight, since "everyone else" seemed to be on.

Yeah, that didn't last long.
What's your gamertag, dude? You should've joined up with me, ashism and NG28. We had some really good Horde rounds tonight. We actually managed to get to something like round 37 with two randoms filling in the empty slots for our team. So close!

bimet

I'm excited to hear what Epic has planned for TU3. I've been through a lot of irritating shit in matchmaking but I'm willing to keep the hope alive... for now.

I need to make a confession. A while ago I couldn't understand why some people decided to head back to the first Gears; I thought it was silly to play a game that had been out for a while when something more "badass" was available. Well... I'm afraid I'm guilty of hypocrisy. There's just something so satisfying about shooting someone and seeing their bodies splattered across the map in Gears 1. I just don't know why I'm not experiencing the same feeling of exhilaration here!

Anyway, if anybody is short on horde players around here, go ahead and send an invite my way. Doesn't matter what I may be playing. Someone get me out of Gears 1 please! Also, whoever is maintaining the gaf gow2 friends list needs a spanking. Dude never accepted my request :(

Zoltrix

Ahhhh! Guys I'm so sorry :( I fell asleep literally 5 minutes to 11. I've been sick and hardly slept the night before so I just crashed...

JB1981

We used to have Gaf Gears Wednesdays. Anybody here want to set up a night to play or two nights ... or more? I can play any night during the week after say, 8:00pm est.

JB1981 said:
We used to have Gaf Gears Wednesdays. Anybody here want to set up a night to play or two nights ... or more? I can play any night during the week after say, 8:00pm est.
I can play most nights starting at 7-8.

Dosia

I played last night and actually enjoyed the game when I could actually get into a good game. In 2 and a half hours I only played 8 games. 2 games we got standbyed and the other 2 were lag fests. If Epic can get the match making speeds to under a minute and prevent the laggy games and stand byers I would be a happy camper.

Haha, two-piecing, go to heck, not with me anymore. About 90% of who tried to tp me after the patch got what they deserved after the first Melee attack. Bitches.

Guess some folks haven't got the memo yet.

cresto

Does anyone ever have trouble with the shotgun not shooting as soon as I hold down the right trigger? I think this has something to do with my awful shit for a school internet connection, but I still got it when I was at home on my decent cable.

Any thoughts? Its frustrating to have the upper hand on a guy and then have the shotgun fuck up getting me killed. -_-

whitehawk

Banned
Dosia said:
I played last night and actually enjoyed the game when I could actually get into a good game. In 2 and a half hours I only played 8 games. 2 games we got standbyed and the other 2 were lag fests. If Epic can get the match making speeds to under a minute and prevent the laggy games and stand byers I would be a happy camper.
Dude, it's something wrong with you. I find matches in 2 minutes or less, and I haven't played a standbyed game in over a month.

There are still quitter, but 75% of the time I'm host, so it's no big deal.

whitehawk said:
Dude, it's something wrong with you. I find matches in 2 minutes or less, and I haven't played a standbyed game in over a month.

To me the matchmaking is so inconsistent. Sometimes it's a matter of 10 seconds, other times it's more like 10 minutes. And waiting 10 minutes for a lagfest or players quitting is very frustrating.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
LittleTokyo said:
To me the matchmaking is so inconsistent. Sometimes it's a matter of 10 seconds, other times it's more like 10 minutes. And waiting 10 minutes for a lagfest or players quitting is very frustrating.

Hey LittleTokyo, I didn't know that you play GOW2. I haven't seen you since the Socom 2 & 3 days. What is your Gamertag?

JB1981

Dosia said:

Party of 4 or 5 literally takes less than a minute. Party of 5 maybe 10 seconds. Going solo does take a bit of time, though. The matchmaking is no doubt improved, however.

ergo: that shit with the shotgun happens with me on occasion too.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
LittleTokyo said:

I experience this as well. When I play with a group it takes <1 minute 99% of the time.

When I'm by myself it either takes 10 minutes or 2 minutes. Fortunately, since the first patch, most of the time I'm in a game in under 5 minutes.

ergo said:
Does anyone ever have trouble with the shotgun not shooting as soon as I hold down the right trigger? I think this has something to do with my awful shit for a school internet connection, but I still got it when I was at home on my decent cable.

Any thoughts? Its frustrating to have the upper hand on a guy and then have the shotgun fuck up getting me killed. -_-
Unless you are the host your lag delays the pulling of the trigger -> bullets appearing, you can expect a noticeable pause every time you shoot.

Flunkie

Banned
bumpkin said:
What's your gamertag, dude? You should've joined up with me, ashism and NG28. We had some really good Horde rounds tonight. We actually managed to get to something like round 37 with two randoms filling in the empty slots for our team. So close!
I played with the regs.. there was five spots filled up and I only played two rounds anyways. :p

Dosia

whitehawk said:

I was in a party of 5 and it was taking forever for all of us. We all tried hosting the lobby and it was pretty much the same. It wasn't just me.

Top Bottom