• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

malfcn

More borked stuff tonight. Guy is down in front of me. I point black shotty him and it downs someone else behind him. The gun is full of fail.

Kydd BlaZe

Just wanted to let everyone know that it's x5 XP for the weekend.

For the weeks leading up to Gears of War 3 launch, the XP will be increased in increments of 5, so it'll be x10 XP next weekend, x15 the week after that, etc.

Just a heads up for the brodudes like myself that haven't gotten their wings yet.

ShaneB

Kydd BlaZe said:

For the weeks leading up to Gears of War 3 launch, the XP will be increased in increments of 5, so it'll be x10 XP next weekend, x15 the week after that, etc.

Just a heads up for the brodudes like myself that haven't gotten their wings yet.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm sure I'll play again to rev up for Gears 3.

Anilusion

Kydd BlaZe said:

Do you get anything in gears 3 for having levels in gears 2? I'm like level 8 or something...

Also, do you think it will be possible to reach max level (100?) before gears 3?

Willeth

Anilusion said:
Do you get anything in gears 3 for having levels in gears 2? I'm like level 8 or something...

Also, do you think it will be possible to reach max level (100?) before gears 3?
Not for having levels, but if you hit level 100 and win a match on each Snowblind map, you'll get the Veteran Gear achievement, which Gears 3 will check for - if you have it, you get a gold version of each main gun. The only one of those that's exclusive, though, is the gold Gnasher - the Sawn-off is for beating Gears 1 on Insane, the retro Lancer for earning it in the beta, and the Lancer and Hammerburst from having them in Gears 2.

It's absolutely possible to hit 100 before 3, but it'll take a while. Make use of the XP weekends as much as possible and work on your other achievements in the mean time.

Kydd BlaZe

Anilusion said:

Well all I know is that the golden shotgun in Gears of War 3 is awarded to only those who have reached level 100 in Gears 2.

As far as leveling up from an 8 to 100, you're definitely gonna have your work cut out for you,as leveling up in Gears 2 can be a real pain in the ass. Not saying it can't be done though, as the final weekend before Gears 3 launches is going for x25 XP

Ballistik

I know it's somewhat late but I do want to finish the Horde achievements for this game before Gears 3 hits stores. I need:

- 30 waves on Allfathers Garden
- 40 waves on Memorial
- 50 waves on Nowhere
- 50 waves on any Snowblind map pack

Anyone down to grind through each wave with me? (You do get the achievement playing on Casual right?)

Ballistik said:
I know it's somewhat late but I do want to finish the Horde achievements for this game before Gears 3 hits stores. I need:

- 40 waves on Memorial
- 50 waves on Nowhere

Anyone down to grind through each wave with me? (You do get the achievement playing on Casual right?)
Name a time (PST) and date and I'll help you out. And yes, casual is just fine for achievements.

bumpkin

Ballistik said:

- 40 waves on Memorial
- 50 waves on Nowhere

I might be able/interested in helping. I think I'm missing 3 out of 4 of those achievements.

I'm also still missing the 2 listed below because the War Journal doesn't seem to list specifics about where you stand.

Skeletons in your Closet
Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Flashback Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty)

Never Eat Red Snow
Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Snowblind Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty)

nel e nel

Willeth said:
Not for having levels, but if you hit level 100 and win a match on each Snowblind map, you'll get the Veteran Gear achievement, which Gears 3 will check for - if you have it, you get a gold version of each main gun. The only one of those that's exclusive, though, is the gold Gnasher - the Sawn-off is for beating Gears 1 on Insane, the retro Lancer for earning it in the beta, and the Lancer and Hammerburst from having them in Gears 2.

Due to whiny little beeyotches on the Epic forums, you can now earn the gold Lancer and Hammerburst by simply playing GoW3 in the first week of release.

You would think that a LED light up statue of Marcus would be 'exclusive' enough, but apparently not. :/

see5harp

Ballistik said:

- 40 waves on Memorial
- 50 waves on Nowhere

I'm down for Nowhere. GT is same as username here. PLEASE ADD ME.

Ballistik

see5harp said:
I'm down for Nowhere. GT is same as username here. PLEASE ADD ME.
haha alright, I WILL ADD YOU.

So bumpkin, PXG, Barrow Roll and see5harp and I makes 5.

We can do Nowhere up to 50. I can any time at night, but just to put a time, let's say 7-8pm PST?

Ballistik said:

We can do Nowhere up to 50. I can any time at night, but just to put a time, let's say 7-8pm PST?
If I'm at home tonight, I'll be there.

see5harp

Ballistik said:

ah shit hell yea. PST represent. I'll try and jump on tonight.

bumpkin

Ballistik said:

Not sure that would work for me, but I won't be offended if you guys roll without me. I'm on the east coast so 7-8 is 10-11 for me, and getting to 50 usually takes a couple of hours; I'm an old fart that has to be up early for work during the week. :-/

see5harp

bumpkin said:
Not sure that would work for me, but I won't be offended if you guys roll without me. I'm on the east coast so 7-8 is 10-11 for me, and getting to 50 usually takes a couple of hours; I'm an old fart that has to be up early for work during the week. :-/

Fuck yo job. GOLD WEAPONS.

see5harp

Thanks Ballalitik, PXG, and Barrow Roll for the help with Nowhere. I had all but given up on that one. I will probably be going after the Level 40 one tonight. I think it's memorial.

Xamdou

Did Epic ever mention addressing the big issue of modders? Been playing Gears 2 multi-player and a lot gamers use modded controllers to have a higher-rate of fire for weapons like the lancer and pistol resulting in faster downs. I noticed this issue as well during the Gears 3 beta.

Addnan

Xamdou said:
Did Epic ever mention addressing the big issue of modders? Been playing Gears 2 multi-player and a lot gamers use modded controllers to have a higher-rate of fire for weapons like the lancer and pistol resulting in faster downs. I noticed this issue as well during the Gears 3 beta.
I'm guessing you mean hammerburst since lancer is an automatic. There's already a fire rate cap on the guns and the number of people with modded controllers is probably not as high as people think. Its not hard to shoot at the rate of the fire cap.

Ballistik

Xamdou said:
Hammerburst and pistol? Never ever noticed a problem or issue with modded controllers. I do think they said they had a cap.

I've seen people down me really quick, but I can tell they're host. I mean, I've received a couple of messages in the past claiming I used one, even off host. You probably don't notice it with other people but the host, because a lot of shots drop if you're on a laggy connection.

Z_Y

Xamdou said:
I didn't think the modded controllers gave you a better fire rate...I thought it just made every active reload perfect.

_dementia said:
Should I start playing some Gears 2 again to knock the rust off or is Gears 3 different enough to go in fresh?

I thought about it before, but I think I'd rather be rusty in Gears 3 than put myself through the frustration and bullshit of another game of Gears 2 multiplayer. The beta basically ruined that game for me. It just gets old watching 3 or 4 of my gnasher shots land on a guy and then he downs me in one.

Ballistik

Strider2K99 said:
So I'm playing Horde for the x10 XP, is it me or are Flame Boomers carrying Longshots? lol

Haha that's sounds like fun. If anyone wants to help me do the last 2 Horde achievements I need tonight or any time during the weekend, just let me know. I need 1-30 on Allfathers Garden and the 1-50 on any Snowblind map pack.

This Gears Weekend in Gears of War 2, we’ll be having crazy mixed up weapons in Horde and 10x XP!

see5harp

I do think skills in Gears 2 will translate nicely. It's almost like running in high altitude so that when the real race comes you will be ready.

see5harp

I'll probably hop on tonight or maybe tomorrow. If you wanna play PXG I am down. If Ballistik wants to try and clean up those Horde cheevos, I'm down to help.

Gui_PT

Hey guys, sorry for the bump but I have a question(most probably a dumb one)

I have the Game of the Year edition which comes with a few DLC maps

I've recently found the need to get more HDD space and thought of deleting the maps( since I don't have anyone to play this game with, unfortunately) If I want to install them again in the future, I'll be able to just re-download them in the marketplace for free, right?

Gui_PT said:
Btw, I know Gears 3 is out and all but if anyone's interested in playing my GT is Monolith Gui
Out of curiosity, what makes you prefer playing Gears 2 as opposed to Gears 3?

There are a decent number of things I really, really miss from Gears 2 (Guardian :(), but I just can't handle the idea going back to all its connection-related problems. I couldn't even play if I wanted to anyway because matchmaking stopped working for most people in Spain after TU6...

Gui_PT

Seth Balmore said:
Out of curiosity, what makes you prefer playing Gears 2 as opposed to Gears 3?

There are a decent number of things I really, really miss from Gears 2 (Guardian :(), but I just can't handle the idea going back to all its connection-related problems. I couldn't even play if I wanted to anyway because matchmaking stopped working for most people in Spain after TU6...

Well the main(and only) reason is that I can't afford Gears 3 =P

Brakara

Seth Balmore said:
I couldn't even play if I wanted to anyway because matchmaking stopped working for most people in Spain after TU6...

The matchmaking stopped working here in Norway as well after TU6, but for some reason earlier this year (after the beta) it started working again.

I remember trying to google the reason, and the only thing someone suggested (and made sense) was that Epic changed how the region thing worked. Before that, people changed their 360 region to UK in order to get into games. No idea if this was the real reason though.

Of course, now after Gears 3 I doubt many people are still playing it.

rvy

Banned
If there was ever any reason to dislike matchmaking, Gears 2 really takes the cake. The whole system is plain crap. I just want to find a game and play, I fucking can't.
The Map Pack playlists are deserted. Horde on Map Packs is almost deserted too, there's not enough players for a game. I didn't bother checking every available playlist, for obvious reasons. Waiting 10 minutes in every single one to have the same thing happen again and again isn't pleasant.
Finding someone to play Co-Op with is harder than traveling around the world in 25 days.

How difficult was it to have the same lobby system that you had in Gears 1? Just show me all available games and I'll be happy. Same thing for Co-op.

in b4 you shouldn't be bitching about Gears 2 when Gears 3 is out. I can still play Gears 1 if I go on multiplayer.

in b4 you shouldn't be bitching about Gears 2 when Gears 3 is out. I can still play Gears 1 if I go on multiplayer.
You have every right to bitch about it. Everything you said in your post is the undeniable truth. If only Epic released a last title update for Gears 2 that implemented a lobby system like Gears 1's, the game could finally be left in peace and in a playable state...

I doubt the game will get more official support aside some experience events (what's the use if you can't find a game, though?). :(

Top Bottom