• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Shins

Banned
Mar 5, 2006
4,908
0
0
Dark FaZe said:
Two piecing considered glitching?
only when other people do it

when other people do it you act as if they raped your grandma in front of you

when you do it, its just y'know, hate the game not the player
 

Narcosis

Member
Apr 21, 2007
2,033
0
0
Nice official thread @ OP

I pre ordered the limited edition version the day it was first available online without reading up on what the LE contained and am happy to now see the bonus shit it comes with is pretty cool :lol
 

chriskun

Member
Dec 7, 2006
1,431
119
1,310
Shins said:
only when other people do it

when other people do it you act as if they raped your grandma in front of you

when you do it, its just y'know, hate the game not the player

Damn straight. The fact that they have not fixed weapon sliding makes me wonder if it has something to do with the physics of the animation system, maybe its completely intrinsic and cannot be fixed without borking other aspects of the game.
 

Darkman M

Member
Aug 17, 2007
14,731
0
0
The first one was one of the very few games i beat multiple times and on the hardest difficulty. Can't wait for this baby this and Persona 4 will keep me busy for the rest of 2008.
 

JimiNutz

Banned
Apr 15, 2007
12,464
5,961
1,680
London UK
ciaossu said:
This is gears. Is there anyone alive buying it for the story? :lol
The only time I feel connected to the characters at all is when I'm watching the new trailer or the Mad World trailer.

Personally I think it'll be a shame if the story is lacking. I'm certainly not deluded enough to expects an epic RPG like story, but Epic themselves have clearly focused on trying to improve the story for Gears 2. They hired comic book writer Josh Ortega specifically for this and they have been saying that this game will have a more fleshed out story with emotional resonance. I'm hoping that the game has at least a decent story (for an action game,) otherwise I’ll find that aspect disappointing.
 

sol_bad

Banned
Jan 17, 2006
6,896
5,021
1,765
Is anyone on GAF going to be playing GoW2 through on the hard difficulty straight up?
I'm going to need to find a co-op buddy for this to play through with. I'm importing the game from America and I'm from Australia so I'll receive the game a tad late.
 

Aladuf

Banned
Jul 10, 2007
6,003
1
0
Dark FaZe said:
Two piecing considered glitching?

:lol
Who the hell originally said that? I'm looking through the last page or so of the thread and I don't see it. Two piecing is definitely not a glitch.
 

Hootie

Member
Aug 6, 2007
12,780
0
0
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I expect this game to come very close to Halo 3's one day sales upon its release.



As much as this game will rock our socks....just no.
 

regs

Member
Aug 30, 2006
689
0
1,125
Wherever I may roam
NutJobJim said:
Personally I think it'll be a shame if the story is lacking. I'm certainly not deluded enough to expects an epic RPG like story, but Epic themselves have clearly focused on trying to improve the story for Gears 2. They hired comic book writer Josh Ortega specifically for this and they have been saying that this game will have a more fleshed out story with emotional resonance. I'm hoping that the game has at least a decent story (for an action game,) otherwise I’ll find that aspect disappointing.

Story in the game isn't great, it is much improved from the first. Things you do seem to have a little bit more reason and I think a lot of people are going to appreciate it more. I am not yet complete with the game yet but I am expecting a plot twist, and there is even a sub-plot from what I can tell.

Also Act 3 Chapter 6 (i want to say), awesome boss battle with the most amazing graphics/water effects I have ever seen.
 

Dosia

Member
Aug 21, 2008
1,905
0
0
I just learned that for the matchmaking you wont be able to pick what gametype you want to play as it will be random for various categories. I am sure I will adapt, but that sucks!
 

iceatcs

Junior Member
Jul 9, 2007
10,644
32
1,280
London
Looking forward and have preordered it.
I am playing the first one atm to catch up. Damn Act 4 is so hard when hardcore level, get out the manor and get on in the vehicle in 30 secs. I might have to change the level to causal :(
 

Shins

Banned
Mar 5, 2006
4,908
0
0
LiquidMetal14 said:
That felt like Gears 1. Visuals pack a punch though. Can't wait to see the caves and other environments.

To clarify, it felt like the same scene I was playing with a friend the other day in Gears 1.
As opposed to feeling like...
 

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Nov 24, 2006
2,108
0
1,345
Great Britain
Dosia said:
I just learned that for the matchmaking you wont be able to pick what gametype you want to play as it will be random for various categories. I am sure I will adapt, but that sucks!

Atleast we don't have to play Gridlock for the 1000th time.
 

BruceLeeRoy

Banned
Oct 26, 2006
25,014
0
0
www.robleydesign.com
NutJobJim said:
Personally I think it'll be a shame if the story is lacking. I'm certainly not deluded enough to expects an epic RPG like story, but Epic themselves have clearly focused on trying to improve the story for Gears 2. They hired comic book writer Josh Ortega specifically for this and they have been saying that this game will have a more fleshed out story with emotional resonance. I'm hoping that the game has at least a decent story (for an action game,) otherwise I’ll find that aspect disappointing.

I absolutely agree.
I dont know if anyone felt the same way but I probably would have enjoyed Halo 3 a lot
more if the commercials hadn't done such a incredible job selling master chief as this
messiah of mankind that was going to culminate in the most epic battle of our lives.

I feel the same thing with the newest Gears commercial. It absolutely sells me on the idea
that Marcus and Dom are just tired of this shit but are much more complex characters than
we have seen so far. So now I am expecting the game to elaborate more on who they
really are. If it doesn't I will be seriously dissapointed.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I expect this game to come very close to Halo 3's one day sales upon its release.

Not even close.
 

blanky

Member
Sep 10, 2007
1,223
0
0
www.simensasylum.com
BruceLeeRoy said:
I absolutely agree.
I dont know if anyone felt the same way but I probably would have enjoyed Halo 3 a lot
more if the commercials hadn't done such a incredible job selling master chief as this
messiah of mankind that was going to culminate in the most epic battle of our lives.

I feel the same thing with the newest Gears commercial. It absolutely sells me on the idea
that Marcus and Dom are just tired of this shit but are much more complex characters than
we have seen so far. So now I am expecting the game to elaborate more on who they
really are. If it doesn't I will be seriously dissapointed.



Not even close.

I could not agree more with you on halo 3, it's probably my biggest gripe along with the mp being very stale(so many features not used). I love halo 3 for what it is, but ah well.

I liked gears story it wasn't special at all, but I liked that they tried to build up a world larger than the game events itself. I have low expectations, and what i've seen so far from dom is a bit too sappy for me. As long as the gameplay is tight and they've tuned the mp i'll be a satisfied grunt.
 

BruceLeeRoy

Banned
Oct 26, 2006
25,014
0
0
www.robleydesign.com
blanky said:
I could not agree more with you on halo 3, it's probably my biggest gripe along with the mp being very stale(so many features not used). I love halo 3 for what it is, but ah well.

I liked gears story it wasn't special at all, but I liked that they tried to build up a world larger than the game events itself. I have low expectations, and what i've seen so far from dom is a bit too sappy for me. As long as the gameplay is tight and they've tuned the mp i'll be a satisfied grunt.

Yeah I will love it no matter what
 

StriKeVillain

Banned
Apr 27, 2007
20,803
0
0
Philadelphia, PA
Does anyone know if there are custom options in private matches? I'm wondering if they switched up some of the customizable options for MP. Can we have a snipers only match or is that still out of the question?
 

whitehawk

Banned
Jan 27, 2008
24,803
327
1,345
Canada
striKeVillain! said:
Does anyone know if there are custom options in private matches? I'm wondering if they switched up some of the customizable options for MP. Can we have a snipers only match or is that still out of the question?
Of course weapon swap is still there.
 
Aug 27, 2007
32,888
0
0
I haven't watched much footage of the campaign yet...but
I guess Baird dies or gets left behind or something? Tai replaces him.
 

blanky

Member
Sep 10, 2007
1,223
0
0
www.simensasylum.com
Dax01 said:

this isn't the gears topic, but im kinda dissapointed by the mp. It's a lot of fun, but with the diversity of gametypes they offer and the implementation of achievements and ranks could have been deeper. Sorry to dissapoint you.
 

blanky

Member
Sep 10, 2007
1,223
0
0
www.simensasylum.com
JdFoX187 said:

enough about halo 3 though. I'm looking forward to Gears 2, I liked the campaign a lot and playing co op was a lot of fun. I've played it for 10 mins at a game show but that was such an inconsistent experience with 75% of the players unaware of the a button reviving yourself i haven't really learned anything from that. Especially looking forward to Horde, with some friends that could be a lot of fun. I wonder how they set up 50 rounds though, there are a lot of enemies, but 50 is a lot of rounds.
 

Aladuf

Banned
Jul 10, 2007
6,003
1
0
-ARNiE- said:
Thanks looks amazing, but that's my avatar, i adopted it from Duf.
Oh damn, I thought it was you who posted the video before when I saw the Carmine avatar. :lol

Speaking of that video too, I'm noticing not an ounce of lag which is so awesome.
 

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apr 16, 2007
37,195
2
0
There
Prine said:
Looks exactly like Gears 1. I never understood the love for this game. The gun mechanics seem 'off' to me.

I hate Marcus Pheonix, such a meat head with meat head one liners.
The gears defense force will be here any minute. I have my popcorn ready.
 

Future PhaZe

Member
Oct 4, 2007
26,271
0
1,060
Prine said:
Looks exactly like Gears 1. I never understood the love for this game. The gun mechanics seem 'off' to me.

I hate Marcus Pheonix, such a meat head with meat head one liners.

*shrug*

We all have our opinions. Not sure what your complaints are about the gun mechanics though.