• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Aladuf

Banned
Papercuts said:
I just tried it now too, it got up to 2%(after a good 5 minutes) but won't actually play at all.
Same here, the most I got at one point was 2% and that took minutes to do. I guess I'll hold off on it then.

Dark FaZe said:
Do you guys think Mansion would be a nice map to defend on Horde (if possible)? The inside doesn't seem like it'd be horribly difficult to hold down due to the very small openings. And if it does become overwhelmed, it wouldn't be to hard to find a comfortable exit from the building.
Sounds like it would work. There could be instances of Locust swarming in and blocking off the two side exits, though.

TDG

Banned
Aladuf said:
Actually that's still in there because I used to have the Standard Edition listed in the OP but took it out because the picture was blurry as hell, guess I just forgot to remove that from the LE section.
Ah, okay, thanks.

zewone

Kibbles said:
tbh, the opening training mission and hospital missions are the only missions in the game that "look" like Gears 1. Obviously, it's a sequel to Gears so it should look like a Gears game, but that rest of the game is just so much more different.
Yep. Every other act/chapter looks like nothing seen in Gears yet.

DarkJC

BigDubs said:
I really pity and fail to understand people like you. How you can not be blown away playing Gears is beyond me.

I think people fail to be blown away by Gears by people who had such a great experience and proceed to never shut up about it on the forums, hyping it way beyond anything it can live up to.

People like this are the reason I usually try to avoid major game hype until I've played it.

draven

Has anyone brought up the point of the visibility of gold weapons? I know it'd be cool and all to have gold weapons, especially when finishing off opponents, but wouldn't a gold weapon stand out in online play, particularly in a game that's primarily dark, semi-monochrome areas?

Can you at least turn them off?

Arnie

draven said:
Has anyone brought up the point of the visibility of gold weapons? I know it'd be cool and all to have gold weapons, especially when finishing off opponents, but wouldn't a gold weapon stand out in online play, particularly in a game that's primarily dark, semi-monochrome areas?

Can you at least turn them off?
I believe that the golden weapons can be selected when the game is loading. During this time you can select your character with the triggers and your starting weapon, e.g. Lancer or Hammerburst with the bumpers. Common sense tells me that during this time there will be an option for a normal Lancer and a Gold Lancer etc.

About the 5 ranks, i'm not too sure. I heard there are ranks but I didn't know there was only five. I hope if this is true then the top rank would be quite tough to get to.

Finally, I have a person on my friend list already playing the game. I have filed a complaint as it is a pirate copy and have also got alot of my friends to file a complaint to. Is there any other way to bring his attention to Microsoft. It kills me to see him searching in a party for a Horde match.

Dark FaZe said:
Does anyone know what actives do for all weapons?
I think it's just standard weapon damage increase for the Lancer, Gnasher, Snub, and Hammerburst. I've noticed that an active with Torque decreases the time it takes for the reticule to stretch out. I think an active with the Longshot does increase your chances of getting a headshot, but I can't be for sure. Of course with the Scorcher, you're getting increased range.

I have no clue about the Gorgon, Boltok, or power weapons. Plus I've heard so many different things on Boomshot I don't know what to believe.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
What is the melee animation like with the boltok? Is it like a regular pistol? If so... powerful, fast + huge melee reach. Could be the ultimate weapon.

whitehawk

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
Can anyone confirm if it's true that we're only getting 5 ranks? What's up with that?
I think 5 ranks will be better, as long as it takes a long time to level up each time. I mean you'll probably need seriously part 2 for 5 (or im hoping).

Like as long as it's not like COD5, where you can get to level 11 in 30min.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
whitehawk said:
I think 5 ranks will be better, as long as it takes a long time to level up each time. I mean you'll probably need seriously part 2 for 5 (or im hoping).

This is my own speculation: I think it's based off of the points that's written next to each of your kills. Like it'll say "+150" next to you getting a headshot with the Longshot so that +150 goes towards your next rank.

Domino Theory said:
This is my own speculation: I think it's based off of the points that's written next to each of your kills. Like it'll say "+150" next to you getting a headshot with the Longshot so that +150 goes towards your next rank.
This.

whitehawk

Banned
Domino Theory said:
This makes a lot of sense.

Dirtbag

whitehawk said:

I think a 5 rank system will be more of a player rating system then a 'level-up' type system like you see in COD. I'd imagine it to be a system where you can loose/gain your rank and it will shuffle around based on player skill level.

I think this is a much better way of doing it then Halo uses because the rank parity of 1-50 causes major headaches when you get to higher numbers and searching for games. Many playlists in halo are basically off-limits after you get to 30 or above (BTB and Squad for example), because you simply won't find a match anymore.

Chinner

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
081103_r17789_p233.jpg

"Nice".

Dirtbag said:
I think a 5 rank system will be more of a player rating system then a 'level-up' type system like you see in COD. I'd imagine it to be a system where you can loose/gain your rank and it will shuffle around based on player skill level.

I think this is a much better way of doing it then Halo uses because the rank parity of 1-50 causes major headaches when you get to higher numbers and searching for games. Many playlists in halo are basically off-limits after you get to 30 or above (BTB and Squad for example), because you simply won't find a match anymore.

I like the way you think.

Also this piece wouldn't have been as good if it wasn't for the New Yorker's writing style.

Start taking notes 1up... This should be your goal.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am hearing from some pals that though lag is usually good, there have been a few games where it's even worse than Gears 1.

Aladuf

Banned
Relix said:
I am hearing from some pals that though lag is usually good, there have been a few games where it's even worse than Gears 1.
That could simply just be someone with a bad connection fucking things up. Gears 1 could have matches with barely any lag, then when someone joins in and has a shit connection then the bullet lag becomes terrible.

Dabanton

GhaleonQ said:

Some priceless quotes from that article, which is an awesome read btw.

In 2001, he affected the stylings of a twenty-first-century Tom Wolfe, with white snakeskin shoes and bleached hair. In 2002, he took to leather jackets and an early-Clooney Caesar cut. By 2003, he was wearing long fur-lined coats, his hair skater-punk red. In recent years, he let his hair grow shaggy, which gave him the mellow aura of a fourth Bee Gee.

His sunglasses were of the oversized, county-sheriff variety, and each of his earlobes held a small, bright diamond earring. He could have been either a boyish Dolce & Gabbana model or a small-town weed dealer.

:lol

Dirtbag

GhaleonQ said:

Hmmmmm..
“I’m looking for a fun core-loop of what you’re doing for thirty seconds over and over again,” he told me. “I want it to grab me quick and fast. I want it to have an interesting game mechanic, but I also want it to be a fascinating universe that I want to spend time in, because you’re spending often dozens of hours in this universe.”

30 seconds of fun huh.... now where have I heard that before?

The bedroom, surely.. but no, that's not it....
perhaps Jaime Griesemer could shed some light on it for me.

Frester

ThirdEngine said:
I think it's just standard weapon damage increase for the Lancer, Gnasher, Snub, and Hammerburst. I've noticed that an active with Torque decreases the time it takes for the reticule to stretch out. I think an active with the Longshot does increase your chances of getting a headshot, but I can't be for sure. Of course with the Scorcher, you're getting increased range.

I have no clue about the Gorgon, Boltok, or power weapons. Plus I've heard so many different things on Boomshot I don't know what to believe.

Does this mean no 1 shot downs with active Longshot? Sooooooo retarded, more headshots plz.

Chinner

Banned
Dirtbag said:
Hmmmmm..

30 seconds of fun huh.... now where have I heard that before?

The bedroom, surely.. but no, that's not it....
perhaps Jaime Griesemer could shed some light on it for me.
oh noes he used a quote from a bungie guy! we must alert everyone that this concept he is using is not his and it belongs to bungie (TM)!!!!

Dirtbag

Chinner said:
oh noes he used a quote from a bungie guy! we must alert everyone that this concept he is using is not his and it belongs to bungie (TM)!!!!

Well the quote transitions directly into a segment where he rips other designers for copying his cover mechanic.
Its only fair and I thought it was kind of ironic.

Top Bottom