• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Teknoman

Finally just beat Gears 2 story mode. One thing i've gotta say is that the Gears soundtrack is damn nice. Then again, Epic's games always have great soundtracks. That was a pretty nice ending as well, alot better than the first.

However, I still want a real final boss battle. Even though the ending wasnt a cliffhanger...i'm still left with more questions. Why does
the queen look so human
? Wtf was
Marcus's dad doing recording audio for the Locusts
What up with the
whats with the emulsion locust mutations and what were the sires? Human/locust hybrids?

Also apparently
Marcus's dad is still alive even after all that went down
?

This is just as bad (good) as the HL 2 EP2 ending. Now I REALLY want to know more.

bumpkin said:
Has anyone rekindled their love affair with the "13 Days of Gears" event going on? I played last night -- the match type to play was Annex -- and I'm a bit unnerved that I don't see it on my stats (on the Gears 2 site). Is their site notorious for not immediately reflecting matches?
I played Annex the first night, but I haven't played since. Probably pick it back up again when it's horde night. I've really been itching to try it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Teknoman said:
Finally just beat Gears 2 story mode. One thing i've gotta say is that the Gears soundtrack is damn nice. Then again, Epic's games always have great soundtracks. That was a pretty nice ending as well, alot better than the first.

However, I still want a real final boss battle. Even though the ending wasnt a cliffhanger...i'm still left with more questions. Why does
the queen look so human
? Wtf was
Marcus's dad doing recording audio for the Locusts
What up with the
whats with the emulsion locust mutations and what were the sires? Human/locust hybrids?

Also apparently
Marcus's dad is still alive even after all that went down
?

This is just as bad (good) as the HL 2 EP2 ending. Now I REALLY want to know more.

Yeah, that ending sequence gave me goosebumps.

Balb

Would anybody be interested in playing the co-op campaign mode with me from the beginning? Looking to beat the game for the first time and I want to get all the collectibles out of the way.

whitehawk

Banned
Dosia said:
I tried playing a match yesterday and my bullets would take 3 seconds to register. I attempted to find another game but after 15 minutes I gave up. Maybe I am just one of the unlucky ones who rarely gets into good games.
Most of the time, I'm host or my friend is, and we find games in 3 minutes or less.

I guess I'm lucky.

Mohonky

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
The gameplay got alot better with the patch, but it seems like EVERYONE is bridging for host...

Yeh the gameplay definitely seems to work at this point, I've been enjoying it anyway.

I still want a region filter though, being in Australia I've just sort of come to expect that I can't use the shotgun or that I will be raped by it in close quarters due to the lag. Though on the odd occasion where if I fire a test shot at a wall and it registers a immediately, I'm not convinced it's a true indication of the shotguns latency, as I've never won a shotgun duel or any sort, I have started out by putting a shot in someone point blank, then they turn out, we keep shooting one another and I land 4 hits but will inevitably be put down by their second shot everytime, yet my shots never seem to put them down, the only time it works is if I blow them to chunks with the first shot, otherwise failing that, I'll get put down everytime. It just seems like my shotgun has absolutely no power at times.

Otherwise other guns are fairly decent enough, they work enough anyway, not fantastic but they can do the job. Cept maybe torque or long shot at times unless the person I'm shooting at is a real noob and doesn't move or take evasive action at all, then I can pick em off with the longshot but otherwise registering a shot with anything that requires precision can be a mess.

So yeh apart from never really knowing just how good my connection is and copping a few nerfed weapons because of it, it's still playable if I stick to basics. A region filter however would have me playing 24/7

Mohonky said:
Yeh the gameplay definitely seems to work at this point, I've been enjoying it anyway.

I still want a region filter though, being in Australia I've just sort of come to expect that I can't use the shotgun or that I will be raped by it in close quarters due to the lag. Though on the odd occasion where if I fire a test shot at a wall and it registers a immediately, I'm not convinced it's a true indication of the shotguns latency, as I've never won a shotgun duel or any sort, I have started out by putting a shot in someone point blank, then they turn out, we keep shooting one another and I land 4 hits but will inevitably be put down by their second shot everytime, yet my shots never seem to put them down, the only time it works is if I blow them to chunks with the first shot, otherwise failing that, I'll get put down everytime. It just seems like my shotgun has absolutely no power at times.

Otherwise other guns are fairly decent enough, they work enough anyway, not fantastic but they can do the job. Cept maybe torque or long shot at times unless the person I'm shooting at is a real noob and doesn't move or take evasive action at all, then I can pick em off with the longshot but otherwise registering a shot with anything that requires precision can be a mess.

So yeh apart from never really knowing just how good my connection is and copping a few nerfed weapons because of it, it's still playable if I stick to basics. A region filter however would have me playing 24/7
Hey, I'm Australian too. What's your gamertag?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
To those who complained about two-piecing this tweak is now live - posted by Rod Fergusson himself on the Epic forums:

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=658132

Hey all,

I wanted to let you know that we just made a tweak to help with two-piecing. We didn't want to nerf the attacker as that seems unfair so instead we reduced the melee stagger recovery time a tiny bit. This creates a small window in which the defender can now evade away from the attacker before being shotgunned. Obviously evading perpindicular is always the best choice.

Anyway, give it a try and let us know what you think!

Thanks,

Rod.

Personally I never had much problem with it, plus I can be guilty of using it myself, but just a heads-up for all...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
striKeVillain! said:
Has it ever been said if Epic is going to put more gametypes or tweak the matchmaking system? It's very stale.

They've said that the next Title Update will have more changes to MP, as the recent one was done to get rid of the glitches ASAP - the next TU will have changes like a regional filter...

They haven't said anything else about it since it's still early of course...

Skilotonn said:
To those who complained about two-piecing this tweak is now live - posted by Rod Fergusson himself on the Epic forums:

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=658132

Personally I never had much problem with it, plus I can be guilty of using it myself, but just a heads-up for all...
Nice. I hate two-piecing. I also hate it that I started to use it, but to stay competitive, there is no other option in close shotgun duels. (though I try and avoid it anytime I can)

Aladuf

Banned
So, I started playing again once the patch hit and I've gotta say it's done wonders. Seeing someone with a Boomshield and now having to freak out wondering if he's got a shotty behind it is nice. The stuff that shit up MP is all pretty much gone it seems, I'd say it's just as playable as Gears 1 in it's end right now (I mean that in the best possible way).

I've been playing a little bit with h3ro, RSTEIN, and ThirdEngine but if anyone else still plays regularly let us know.. having a group of 5 people is always the most fun for matchmaking.

Aladuf said:
So, I started playing again once the patch hit and I've gotta say it's done wonders. Seeing someone with a Boomshield and now having to freak out wondering if he's got a shotty behind it is nice. The stuff that shit up MP is all pretty much gone it seems, I'd say it's just as playable as Gears 1 in it's end right now.

I've been playing a little bit with h3ro, RSTEIN, and ThirdEngine but if anyone else still plays regularly let us know.. having a group of 5 people is always the most fun for matchmaking.
if you ever see me on just shoot me an invite

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I WILL BE ON TONIGHT TO PWN YOU ALL!

IF YOU RUN AWAY I'LL JUST SHOOT YOU IN YOUR ASSES!

DELTA SQUAD IS YOUR HOUSE, BITCH! YOU HEAR THAT SHIT? YOU GRUBBY-ASS BITCHES ARE GOIN' DOWN! LIKE WAY DOWN-DEAD DOWN, SO DOWN YOU AIN'T EVEN GOONA KNOW WHICH WAY IS UP! YOUR ASSES ARE GONNA BE CRYIN' TO YOUR SKANK-ASS QUEEN, 'OH, MOMMY, DON'T LET THE BAD MAN HURT US!' FUCK YOU! WE'RE GONNA WHUP YOUR MAMMA'S ASS. WHOO-!

LOOK MA NO FACE!

SO GOOD I SHOULD CHARGE ADMISSION!

THAT'S FIVE MOTHER FUCKERS!

h3ro

RSTEIN said:
I WILL BE ON TONIGHT TO PWN YOU ALL!

IF YOU RUN AWAY I'LL JUST SHOOT YOU IN YOUR ASSES!

DELTA SQUAD IS YOUR HOUSE, BITCH! YOU HEAR THAT SHIT? YOU GRUBBY-ASS BITCHES ARE GOIN' DOWN! LIKE WAY DOWN-DEAD DOWN, SO DOWN YOU AIN'T EVEN GOONA KNOW WHICH WAY IS UP! YOUR ASSES ARE GONNA BE CRYIN' TO YOUR SKANK-ASS QUEEN, 'OH, MOMMY, DON'T LET THE BAD MAN HURT US!' FUCK YOU! WE'RE GONNA WHUP YOUR MAMMA'S ASS. WHOO-!

LOOK MA NO FACE!

SO GOOD I SHOULD CHARGE ADMISSION!

THAT'S FIVE MOTHER FUCKERS!

Dang... lookit all dat' juice.

RSTEIN

Rod Ferguson said:
What if, instead of skill rank, we instead showed your experience level. You would gain experience through your individual performance in Public multiplayer matches - the higher your score at the end, the more experience you acquire. Of course the experience gained across the different match types would be balanced so you couldn't just grind on the respawning game types to try and level faster. The experience requirements for each level would grow with each level gained (like a typical RPG) and we'd have 99 levels of experience for you to show off your leetness.

Generally speaking your level will always go up since you're always acquiring more score, hence experience, with each completed match. The only exception to that would be people quitting. Players that quit would gain an experience penalty that could cause them to be demoted. At the end of every match you will be able to see how much experience you've gained and how much further you have to go till the next level.

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT!!! Cliff this would be a dream come true!!

bumpkin

h3ro said:
Dang... lookit all dat' juice.
"Heh heh, regrouped? Is that what you call it when I save your ass?" :lol

I'll be on tonight in a li'l bit. If anyone wants to add me that hasn't, my gamertag is DaveB1980

JB1981

Aladuf said:
So, I started playing again once the patch hit and I've gotta say it's done wonders. Seeing someone with a Boomshield and now having to freak out wondering if he's got a shotty behind it is nice. The stuff that shit up MP is all pretty much gone it seems, I'd say it's just as playable as Gears 1 in it's end right now (I mean that in the best possible way).

You playing tonight, dude? How is your 360 btw?

Gears 2 multiplayer can be fun unless you're playing against people who are really good at avoiding the shotgun by exploiting the cover system. It's just not fun in that case.

JB1981

ElectricBlue187 said:
Gears 2 multiplayer can be fun unless you're playing against people who are really good at avoiding the shotgun by exploiting the cover system. It's just not fun in that case.

My biggest issue is with people that jump around all fucking day ... I think it was Ramirez who suggested Epic implement some kind of fatigue meter for jumping and I think that's a great fucking idea

F#A#Oo

Banned
JB1981 said:
My biggest issue is with people that jump around all fucking day ... I think it was Ramirez who suggested Epic implement some kind of fatigue meter for jumping and I think that's a great fucking idea

Are you nuts?

That is sometimes the difference between winning or losing a match.:lol

JB1981

That two-piece update is a good update. A few times tonight I was two-pieced and I was able to fire off my shotgun round and DESTROY the other guy. Fucking yes.

h3ro

JB1981 said:
That two-piece update is a good update. A few times tonight I was two-pieced and I was able to fire off my shotgun round and DESTROY the other guy. Fucking yes.

Pulling off a perfect two piece is so satisfying.

That being said, I'm glad there are a bunch of you guys on tonight. I'll be online, but not playing Gears, I have a date with Princess Smellika... <3

I guess I am just confused what to do with the shotgun now after they made that two piece update. Before I would always go in for the two piece, but that seems to get me killed more often than not. Right now I am just getting wasted by the shotgun because everything seems off to me. It could just be me sucking, but I used to do pretty well in shotgun duels and now I blow.

Tomcat said:
epic is trying to fix many things with tu3 check these topics

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=658236
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=654492

new ranks, bots replacing people who quit in public matches, sniper fix, region filtering, ban the lag switchers from MP etc. Good job :)
Bots replacing dropouts? wow that's great to hear, if they pull this off well...

ashism said:
What is "standby"? I stopped playing a week or 2 into launch.
If someone is host they can kind of lag everyone else so make them extremely laggy and sometimes time out, while the host get's no lag penalty at all he can make easy work of you.

It varys but it also appeared a lot in gears 1, and halo games until they fixed it somewhat.

these changes Epic is making are above and beyond what I ever expected them to implement. I have a feeling this thread will take a turn for the better.

I'm on nearly every day, often playing with various gaffers. Aladuf and company, send me a friend invite. same gamertag as my username here.

Chinner

Banned
Alot of stuff is implied there, but if it does come then TU3 is going to be huge. Also the new ranking system seems alot more similair to LP (which was awesome).

I still regret not getting into LP's mutiplayer.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
What if, instead of skill rank, we instead showed your experience level. You would gain experience through your individual performance in Public multiplayer matches - the higher your score at the end, the more experience you acquire. Of course the experience gained across the different match types would be balanced so you couldn't just grind on the respawning game types to try and level faster. The experience requirements for each level would grow with each level gained (like a typical RPG) and we'd have 99 levels of experience for you to show off your leetness.

Generally speaking your level will always go up since you're always acquiring more score, hence experience, with each completed match. The only exception to that would be people quitting. Players that quit would gain an experience penalty that could cause them to be demoted. At the end of every match you will be able to see how much experience you've gained and how much further you have to go till the next level.

holy shit they ARE listening.

Reset the stats and do this.

Chinner said:
Alot of stuff is implied there, but if it does come then TU3 is going to be huge. Also the new ranking system seems alot more similair to LP (which was awesome).

I still regret not getting into LP's mutiplayer.
Lost Planet was the first thing I thought of when reading their new level up idea, i'm all for that method since I love how it works in lost planet.

Oh trueskill, how you have backfired after all these years.

JB1981

NubCakes09 said:
I guess I am just confused what to do with the shotgun now after they made that two piece update. Before I would always go in for the two piece, but that seems to get me killed more often than not. Right now I am just getting wasted by the shotgun because everything seems off to me. It could just be me sucking, but I used to do pretty well in shotgun duels and now I blow.

I'm awful with the shotgun - A-W-F-U-L. I think I am going to turn up my sensitivity.

Oh and also spawn with the Hammberbust rather than the Lancer (which is just absolute shit unless you're host).

Aladuf

Banned
JB1981 said:
You playing tonight, dude? How is your 360 btw?
Late to respond, but we were playing like you saw.. and the 360 is good, I just had to replace it for a new one is all.
JB1981 said:
Yes! That tweak is so good. I had a great experience last night where I was taking cover on a wall and some dude came up from behind and melees me, so I jump backwards and just gibbed him in one shot. All throughout the night I noticed where the two-piece was clearly made more balanced with this tweak.

JB1981 said:
I'm awful with the shotgun - A-W-F-U-L. I think I am going to turn up my sensitivity.

Oh and also spawn with the Hammberbust rather than the Lancer (which is just absolute shit unless you're host).

Yeah I do love the Hammerbust (is it spelled hammerburst?) I guess I need to play Gears more.

RSTEIN

The two-piece adjustment definitely threw me for a loop last night. I'm not a big two-piecer but for some reason I found myself in a couple situations last night. I hit one guy and he managed to recover and chainsaw me before I could get my shot off. The second time my opponent managed to roll out and shotgun me.

I'm not against the change, not at all, but it will take some time to get used to. It's almost as if the two-piece actually gives the recipient of the two piece the advantage. The stun you receive from the two-piece is almost equal to the duration of the melee animation.

alexel

RSTEIN said:
The two-piece adjustment definitely threw me for a loop last night. I'm not a big two-piecer but for some reason I found myself in a couple situations last night. I hit one guy and he managed to recover and chainsaw me before I could get my shot off. The second time my opponent managed to roll out and shotgun me.

I'm not against the change, not at all, but it will take some time to get used to. It's almost as if the two-piece actually gives the recipient of the two piece the advantage. The stun you receive from the two-piece is almost equal to the duration of the melee animation.

I still successfully get a two-piece off about 90% of the time. I hope whatever change they make completely nullifies the two-piece in the next title update. Even though I use the two-piece alot, nothing would make me happier than seeing it taken out of the game completely.

JB1981

I'm so awful at this game. I think I have an issue with the power weapon design, though. There are just too fucking many of them. The first Gears had like two power weapons per map and frags for each side. That was it and it was great. Now you have to deal with so much shit and your basic weapons are just fucking NOT useful in an elimination game. The only time they're useful is in territories-style matches imo. How often do you guys kill people with your Lancer or Hammerbust in an elimination game?

Top Bottom