• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 Premiere Trailer: "Ashes to Ashes"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is not a pre-rendered trailer in a classical sense - it's using their engine to render it, they probably just up the things a notch, and output in high resolution. You can even see some texture filtering problems if you look for them, it's definitely not a typical pre-render.

I think it's worse than the first two tv commercials not only because the thematic is the same for the third time, but also because it's even grayer than the first Mad World commercial. Second game TV commercial you could say was the same thematic, but it introduced some pretty nice lighting and coloring to switch things up.

bumpkin

skyfinch said:
Not surprised to see Anya. In the first book, Aspho Fields, her mom was quite the bad ass and was teaching Anya the ropes.

Pendulum Wars is coming out in August of this year, and that's the third book in the series, so I'm assuming that the forth book be released very early in 2011.
I'm still reading the second book, "Jacinto's Remnant." It's tough though because as much of a fan of the series as I am, I'm not much of a reader; more an issue of time than anything else.

DoomGyver

-PXG- said:
Oh shit :lol

Gig's (aka Valvolga's) Hank Hill avatar: AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol

Gears-GAF Gears 1 sessions were amazing. Nothing but good times and laughs. Things fell apart when Gears 2 dropped :(

I remember hosting matches and no one complaining about lag or host advantage.
yeah those were good times.

Looking forward to Gears 3. Trailer was what I was expecting: a teaser trailer. Hopefully, with nearly three years of development time, multiplayer won't be nearly as broken. Can't wait to go through the campaign in co-op.

Dax01 said:
Looking forward to Gears 3. Trailer was what I was expecting: a teaser trailer. Hopefully, with nearly three years of development time, multiplayer won't be nearly as broken. Can't wait to go through the campaign in co-op.

Yeah I hope hope hope that the mp is actually fixed this time. Trailer looked great though I love these characters.

10dh01c.jpg

Anyone think that chick looked totally out of place though? She looked like a scrapped character from Tecmo's Quantum Theory.

dread9

Banned
In the wake of newer titles that push for better pacing, storyline and certain levels of graphics, im dissapointed in what I see here. But thats simply speculating on a short trailer and I truly do wish that im wrong. I know for a fact that any blame on what we may perceive as faults in Gears of War are not at all necessarily related to Cliffy B. He definitely has an eye for quality and knows his sh***, but im curious as to what limitations he and his team are facing.

derFeef

dread9 said:
In the wake of newer titles that push for better pacing, storyline and certain levels of graphics, im dissapointed in what I see here. But thats simply speculating on a short trailer and I truly do wish that im wrong. I know for a fact that any blame on what we may perceive as faults in Gears of War are not at all necessarily related to Cliffy B. He definitely has an eye for quality and knows his sh***, but im curious as to what limitations he and his team are facing.
A bit exaggerated to say this based on the teaser I think. We know nothing except a few details on weapons and characters. Gears will still be Gears and hopefully stay true to its formula.

scotcheggz

The biggest reveal in this thread for me was finding out that gears has at least 4 books based on its story. I bet they're a good read. :lol

Trailer looked OK, I'm not massivley excited just yet, but I'm sure I will be later on in the year. Love me some gears even if it's just for the local co-op, ridiculous shooter fun.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
scotcheggz said:
The biggest reveal in this thread for me was finding out that gears has at least 4 books based on its story. I bet they're a good read. :lol

You laugh, but they're the best game-related spin-off novels I've read. (Still your average mil-scifi, but much better writing than the Halo/ME books.)

derFeef said:
A bit exaggerated to say this based on the teaser I think. We know nothing except a few details on weapons and characters. Gears will still be Gears and hopefully stay true to its formula.

Exactly. It's the end of the (extremely successful) trilogy, you won't see any earth-shattering changes here, just like you didn't see them in Halo 3, just like you didn't see them in God of War 3, just like you probably won't see them in Mass Effect 3.

Graphics are the thing I'm the least concerned about, I'm certain that when the time comes Gears 3 will shine just like its predecessors. The previews of the new engine features look promising and there's still one whole year of development ahead of us.

skyfinch

scotcheggz said:

They're better than you think.

2 books so far, with a 3rd one coming out in a few months. The books are very well written.

h3ro said:
nope, he's leading coder :/

well that is disappointing. i'll just adjust my expectations accordingly and accept the fact that the MP will be broken as shit again.

thank god for SP, 4 player co-op, and horde mode!

pr0cs

skyfinch said:

2 books so far, with a 3rd one coming out in a few months. The books are very well written.
What are the books called (name/writer so I can find them) I'm curious to check them out.

skyfinch said:

Yeah, Jancito's Remnant was VERY good. I was hoping we'd get to see "Birdie" in one of the video games, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This CGI trailer isn't doing it for me, but I love the core gameplay far too much to care ;P

I sure as hell hope a scene very much like that is in the game. And 4 player co-op - woot!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
pr0cs said:
What are the books called (name/writer so I can find them) I'm curious to check them out.

Search on Karen Traviss. She's apparently writing Gears 3 (as in, the game) now. This should be a vast improvement over Joshua Ortega's writing in Gears 2 (and the comics, which have been awful). So we'll at least get a good script in this thing.

Karram

Just played some Gears 2 and one of thing they need to change or remove is the Rocket launcher. It way too powerful and there is no way to counter it.

bumpkin

Apharmd Battler said:
Yeah, Jancito's Remnant was VERY good. I was hoping we'd get to see "Birdie" in one of the video games, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Don't you mean Bernie? Based on the books, she sounds like a gruff, tough ol' bitch who doesn't take anyone's shit and loves to antagonize Baird; she always calls him "blondie." :lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
bumpkin said:
Don't you mean Bernie? She sounds like a gruff ol' bitch who doesn't take anyone's shit and loves to antagonize Baird. :D

She's actually the one character I don't like in those books. I understand why she's there (for exposition), but she just reads like a Mary Sue for some reason.

Karram

luxarific said:
Search on Karen Traviss. She's apparently writing Gears 3 (as in, the game) now. This should be a vast improvement over Joshua Ortega's writing in Gears 2 (and the comics, which have been awful). So we'll at least get a good script in this thing.
I hope so, Joshua Ortega didn't really do a great job creating a story in Gears 2. I wonder if Epic fired him or something ?

skyfinch

pr0cs said:

Aspho Fields - Is almost a prequel to Gears of War. Story revolves a lot around Carlos (Dom's brother), Marcus and Dom.

Jacinto's Remnant - Takes place right after Jacinto was flooded.

Pendulum Wars - this one's not out yet. I think it's an August release.

All these books are from Karen Traviss. They do a good job of filling in all the blank parts from the 2 games and even goes little more in depth on characters such as Tai and Dizzy.

Apharmd Battler said:

You mean "Bernie?" If so, yes, she has a big role in the two books and really hope to see her in the 3rd game.

Trailer didn't do anything for me but it's Gears 3 which means I will be buying it day 1 anyway.

Also

* Dom is now heavily bearded. According to Rod, this is due to his problems dealing with the loss of his wife.
* Anya is the female COG soldier seen in the "Ashes to Ashes" trailer. We will learn more on her transition from pencil pusher to soldier throughout the books.

I dunno why but I found both those tidbits to be hilarious.

Blazerman24

Neo Member
Dont kno how i feel about the girl (if she is one) in the game...cant really see how she would fit in...especially this late in the game you kno

skyfinch

luxarific said:
She's actually the one character I don't like in those books. I understand why she's there (for exposition), but she just reads like a Mary Sue for some reason.

Maybe the tough "motherly" role.

derFeef

Blazerman24 said:
Dont kno how i feel about the girl (if she is one) in the game...cant really see how she would fit in...especially this late in the game you kno
What do you mean by late in the game? (re)Introducing new characters is always good for sequels. And everyone knows her. Now that she is fighting side by side with the crew, there are going to be some good moments I think.

Blazerman24

Neo Member
derFeef said:
What do you mean by late in the game? (re)Introducing new characters is always good for sequels. And everyone knows her. Now that she is fighting side by side with the crew, there are going to be some good moments I think.
Are we assuming its Anya...if we are then yes, i can see it working...i agree wit you and all, i guess wat i am sayin is if you are gonna introduce a female into the group...its would be best to have done it early...i dont kno if a female would gel aswel as just addin another dude lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
skyfinch said:
Maybe the tough "motherly" role.

I think it's just because she seems to be good at everything. Good at hunting/good at trapping/good at sniping. Characters that don't have faults tend to be Mary Sues. (Though Marcus would probably qualify as a Mary Sue if he wasn't an original character from the games, as he has no faults in the books. That's basically the one thing I don't like about the Traviss books (besides the way they slam the Stranded), all the game characters are practically saints. The only guy in Delta that reads like a real person is Baird because he actually complains on occasion. It's refreshing.)

pr0cs

skyfinch said:
Aspho Fields - Is almost a prequel to Gears of War. Story revolves a lot around Carlos (Dom's brother), Marcus and Dom.

Jacinto's Remnant - Takes place right after Jacinto was flooded.

Pendulum Wars - this one's not out yet. I think it's an August release.

All these books are from Karen Traviss. They do a good job of filling in all the blank parts from the 2 games and even goes little more in depth on characters such as Tai and Dizzy.
Thanks for that, I'll check them out. Going on vacation and need something gaming related to entertain my brain when I'm frying in the sun.

h3ro said:
Read better.

nope, he's leading coder :/
Lead coder of multiplayer or the entire game? Because if it's the latter, he could be more focused on the single player portion of the game while the multiplayer is put in more capable hands, right? :(

Dabanton

dread9 said:

What sort of games are you referring to?

BruceLeeRoy said:
Anyone think that chick looked totally out of place though? She looked like a scrapped character from Tecmo's Quantum Theory.

Not even close. Her chest is covered :lol

The trailer didn't do much for me. It's another one of those 'Mad World' sequences where they're stacked against the odds. Felt too much of the same shit. I'm sure the gameplay is gonna be deliver and can't wait to drop back in the story to find out what happened to Jacinto and Marcus's dad. That extra year they have compared to Gears 2 should payoff.

skyfinch

If you're a fan of the games, do yourself a favor and read the books. They explain a few things that the two games haven't, example, why Marcus was in prison at the beginning of Gears 1. Even goes way back to when Marcus and Dom were kids and how they became soldiers.

Goes into a lot of detail about Dom's situation, mainly Maria, his two kids, Carlos (his brother).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The girl is clearly progressive for videogame girls...She is actually in full armor like the boys! Not some ass-less chaps and bra armor like typical girls.

Epic is on the leading edge for Female video game relationships.

Top Bottom