• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

S1kkZ

Volimar said:
What kind of bothers me is that, if the cure truly was global then that means there are no more Lambent ever, and it looks like maybe no more Locust. That sucks for future titles. I'm not one of those clamoring for a prequel.
the locust are still there (but we dont see if the anti lambent machine had an effect on them). and the queen? she survived so much shit in chapter 5, i dont think a little stab in the chest killed her for good. and what about the emulsion? emulsion was the lambent after all, so did adams machine neutralize all emulsion as well?

Lax Mike

Neo Member
Some Questions:

Did anyone else think that Adam giving Baird the disk was just a dead giveaway that he would die before the end?

Was the only point in including Griffin (Ice-T) to set up a sequel/DLC? I expected that part of the game to be all about sympathy for those who hated you because their families were killed by the hammer of dawn, but he killed any sympathy I might have had.

Is it ever explained what the rest of your squad is up to for the second half of the game or, are they just saving that for DLC? I honestly thought Carmine had died for the better part of the game, thinking I had somehow missed it, up until the ending.

No explanation of the new hope facility, locust origins, or why myrrah looked like a human really soured me on the whole experience.

The Dom scene was great, like many I was expecting him to die, but not that early. Apart from that, I found my self guessing right most of the time when it came to how the plot moves.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Volimar said:
What kind of bothers me is that, if the cure truly was global then that means there are no more Lambent ever, and it looks like maybe no more Locust. That sucks for future titles. I'm not one of those clamoring for a prequel.

Has there been talks of future Gears titles? If there was I don't see how there could be any justification to bring Locust back (they didn't even hint at such a thing at the end with something popping up after the credits). The only way they would be able to do any sort of new title is if we did go back to before Marcus was thrown in prison which would of course be a prequel (which I personally would have no problem with besides the fact that we know how it ends (but we do have Reach and that ended up pretty good besides that).

They could say "Hey some Locust survived and blah blah blah", but that would honestly put me off from ever playing it just because I don't think I could swallow that big of a pill.

Let the trilogy end here and if they want to tell interesting stories with a new prequel trilogy, then so be it. I'd gladly play that over "Oh no, the Locust came back and magically survived this bomb that was supposed to wipe them all out!"

BrokenBox

WickedLaharl said:
No explanation of the new hope facility, locust origins, or why myrrah looked like a human really soured me on the whole experience.

Really? I doubt you'd like Lost, then.

EDIT: About Locust origins -- they've been underground the entire time living life away until E-Day. I don't think it's really necessary for them to get into their creation.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
wenis said:
Has there been talks of future Gears titles? If there was I don't see how there could be any justification to bring Locust back (they didn't even hint at such a thing at the end with something popping up after the credits). The only way they would be able to do any sort of new title is if we did go back to before Marcus was thrown in prison which would of course be a prequel (which I personally would have no problem with besides the fact that we know how it ends (but we do have Reach and that ended up pretty good besides that).

They could say "Hey some Locust survived and blah blah blah", but that would honestly put me off from ever playing it just because I don't think I could swallow that big of a pill.

Let the trilogy end here and if they want to tell interesting stories with a new prequel trilogy, then so be it. I'd gladly play that over "Oh no, the Locust came back and magically survived this bomb that was supposed to wipe them all out!"

Re: Gears Future - I think we're pretty likely to get a prequel trilogy, showing the human vs. human, pre E-Day war. Maybe the 2nd or third game in that trilogy can show E-Day itself, in fact.

It would allow Epic to keep Marcus and Dom as the heroes, and it would be a good excuse for them to take more liberties with the gameplay (since it is a different "era").

Would be pretty good... Sera not yet destroyed, human enemies, etc.

Re: Locust "origins" - They don't have any. Sera is THEIR planet. Locust were just hanging out, minding their shit, until the humans started messing up the planet.

wenis

GDJustin said:
Re: Gears Future - I think we're pretty likely to get a prequel trilogy, showing the human vs. human, pre E-Day war. Maybe the 2nd or third game in that trilogy can show E-Day itself, in fact.

It would allow Epic to keep Marcus and Dom as the heroes, and it would be a good excuse for them to take more liberties with the gameplay (since it is a different "era").

Would be pretty good... Sera not yet destroyed, human enemies, etc.

I would absolutely love that. A really cool civil war style game in the gears universe would be perfect and could have some excellent stories to tell!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Eyemus Lutt said:
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but gears had some of the worst voice acting of "Australians" I've ever heard. In fact the 2 female characters who were meant to be Australians just had extremely bad voice acting in general.

Dom's death got me by surprise, but the whole locust deal and their queen was a bit below average in terms of story telling. I'd place Gears 3 above 2 but below 1.
I think Sam's VA was Claudia Black. It felt so out of place, I mean, I dunno why they chose her in the first place. And yeah, I wasn't expecting Dom to die. :( When those Lambent dudes surrounded him, that's when I realized... uh oh.

Rimfya

Banned
The death ray killed the Locust, but you can eat a big bag of LOLs if you think that means there can't be another sequel.

Gears is my favourite franchise but I'd like to see Epic give it a few years off before developing anything new.

Still not convinced Myrah isn't Marcus' mother :)

Myrrah knew that Adam's plan would destroy the locusts. So they could play on the fact she knew what was going to happen and built some sort of protective base incase it did happen in which the some locust survived.

But I'm sure there will be more Gears games and as said. Hopefully prequels.

I was a bit disappointed none of the research lab stuff in Gears 2 was referenced. With the Sires? I would've liked more details about the whole Govt/Locust program going on. Seemed more like some sort of peace treaty was broken in this game, but yet in Gears 2 those Sires looked like pre-mature Locusts.

Also, these zombie games are getting my head fuzzy. Lambent seemed to have a hierarchy and focus. Yet they were just some parasitic ooze? Maybe I'm just being extremely picky, but I thought Halo's Gravemind was a more realistic catalyst, and/if nothing else at all. I just think this whole Lambent plague was sprung up pretty quick is all from being just annoying wretches in Gears 1.

I wish they killed off most of the squad like halo reach. Dom's death was easily the most affecting part of the story. They could have at least let Jace or Dizzy bite the bullet.

S1kkZ said:
it would have been a cool twist: humans and locust forced working together. but i agree, the last chapter was very bioshock like.

I'm happy they didn't go for that, it would have been far too predictable. Though I think they should have had a section in the final chapter when you had a temporary alliance with the locust only to turn on each other when the lambent were dealt with. There was a perfect opportunity at one point but everybody was hostile with everybody.

I thought the game peaked at the end of Act 3, though I thought the fact the blast seemed to kill everything but the cogs despite them being in the middle of it took a bit away from the scene and it could have been easily rectified. I really didn't enjoy where the narrative went after that. It was utterly ridiculous finding fuel for the sub right next to it after scouring the globe to find it. Then the fact you learnt nothing about the queen or the locus made the franchise seem completely hollow, especially given Adam gave Baird a disk I was really expecting a scene after the credits with him loading it up to find some huge discovery that would lead to further Gears titles.

However it seems like they left the thread open and the narrative incomplete so that they could whore out DLC, which left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Volimar said:
I think you heard wrong. He felt responsible for the Locust because he couldn't find a solution to the Locust problem before Myrrah made the decision to take them to the surface and war with humans...

I may have... I don't remember the scene very well.

But I thought he had said that he created the Locust 20 years prior, and then afterwards tried to maintain a peace with the locust underground, but they couldn't keep them all underground and thus E-day happened...

but yeah... It could have been something entirely different

syoaran

Volimar said:

Considering how it ended, I think the only way you can go is a prequel if you want Gears 4. They wrapped up the planets war pretty tightly, with every loose tie dating back to the time prior and including E day. You can still play Fenix and Dom and get the answers, while fighting Humans and Locust. Seems fairly logical to me.

Still, another +1 at all the loose ties with Adam and the Queen.

Sean

Banned
One question, didn't Dizzy die in Gears 2? Last thing I remembered of him is one of the locust bosses with the staff (Skurge was it?) jumping on the tank and killing him. Was surprised to see him back like nothing happened.

Sean said:
One question, didn't Dizzy die in Gears 2? Last thing I remembered of him is one of the locust bosses with the staff (Skurge was it?) jumping on the tank and killing him. Was surprised to see him back like nothing happened.

I was playing with a friend and we both said the same shit when we got to him. However Tai sacrifices himself and takes on Skurge to save Dizzy in Gears 2. It's just not all that clear as you don't hear from Dizzy again.

Xanadu

Banned
gears 3s story was good but i didnt really like the "emotional" parts. i dont get emotional from video games its like something is missing, i've cried from movies and books but i never care about any games storyline emotionally

CliffyB

Playah
Well this is one Gears thread I won't be revisiting! Dayum @ the haterade here.

-Queen isn't Marcus mother.
-The Gears wiki has figured out much of the missing data.
-No, we're not going to explain every last detail. Discussion and churn online are good.
-Claudia Black is a great vo actress, y'all who don't like her are nuts imo. :)

Xanadu

Banned
CliffyB said:

-No, we're not going to explain every last detail. Discussion and churn online are good.
we want fuel depot mr

Rimfya

Banned
CliffyB said:
That's kinda sad for anyone who wants answers to basic questions by just playing the game isn't it? I don't hit up Wiki after seeing a movie because half of it didn't make sense. Well, not for most movies.

I think Claudia Black was okay, but not nearly great.

Loved the game overall, but little story bits and pieces were a bit unfortunate.

syoaran said:
Considering how it ended, I think the only way you can go is a prequel if you want Gears 4. They wrapped up the planets war pretty tightly, with every loose tie dating back to the time prior and including E day. You can still play Fenix and Dom and get the answers, while fighting Humans and Locust. Seems fairly logical to me.
It wouldn't be Dom but Carlos.

Heysoos

Forsaken82 said:
I may have... I don't remember the scene very well.

But I thought he had said that he created the Locust 20 years prior, and then afterwards tried to maintain a peace with the locust underground, but they couldn't keep them all underground and thus E-day happened...

but yeah... It could have been something entirely different

I'm pretty sure he said he disturbed the Locusts because he couldn't stop the spread of immulsion. He tried keeping the Locusts from getting out from underground by negotiating with the Queen, but in the end couldn't figure anything out in time so the Locusts went above ground trying to run from the immulsion. I could be a little wrong in some small details, but I'm fairly sure that's what happened.

Rimfya

Banned
Hmm, rewatched the scene that confused me, seems I interpreted this wrong at the time...

PyzsF.png

Rimfya

Banned
Well in the heat of the moment that's not how I interpreted it, and since every other major story point seemed largely telegraphed I was expecting it since the start of the game.

Oh well, there goes my Fenix/Myrrah family sitcom Gears-prequel dating sim game idea.

Vire

Rimfya said:
Hmm, rewatched the scene that confused me, seems I interpreted this wrong at the time...

PyzsF.png
Loyal son to his father...

Jesus, sometimes I wonder about people's reading comprehension.

ultim8p00

Banned
Rimfya said:
FINALLY THIS THREAD GETS MADE.

1. Dom was sad.
2. Dear America: Our Aussie accents aren't excuses for poor voice acting.
3. Why did Bernie look about 50 but sound about 20?
4. Why leave all the answers to the entire Gears story for the last chapter of the last act?
5. I said in Act 1 Chapter 1 "If Myrah is Marcus' mother I'll squeal", I squealed.
6. I said in Act 3 "If this means lambent human zombies I'll squeal", I squealed (but it was one of the best parts of the campaign!)
7. Oh and +1 to why the frick is Myrah human, and looks younger than Marcus.

Lastly I took major issue with game progression through story failure. Let's go to their airport to get fuel! Fail. Lets go to this city to get fuel! Fail. Lets just go to the sub anyway ... hey look free fuel!!

Awesome game though :)

Wait wait wait..WAIT HOLD UP WAT!?

BrokenBox

I think everyone expected her to be his mother, especially if you read up on how his mother went missing suddenly. I'm glad they didn't go that route, though.

Vire

BrokenBox said:
I think everyone expected her to be his mother, especially if you read up on how his mother went missing suddenly. I'm glad they didn't go that route, though.
That would of brought Gear's corniness to all new heights.

wenis

I wouldn't even be able to see the family resemblance either....she has a neck.

CliffyB said:

He speaks!

Plasmid

Marcus' mother was killed when looking for immulsion crystals, went missing, adam later found her body (A little hazy, but marcus' mom definitely died in some tunnels with other scientists).

You can probably chalk the new hope facility up to just crazy experiments.

So when did azura get made? Before or after the locust war started? It's really cool to think that prescott had all this trillion dollar shit tied up and hidden from so many people for years, and then the locust just came in and fucking murdered em all besides Adam.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Plasmid said:
So when did azura get made? Before or after the locust war started? It's really cool to think that prescott had all this trillion dollar shit tied up and hidden from so many people for years, and then the locust just came in and fucking murdered em all besides Adam.

The game states before.

CliffyB said:
Dayum @ the haterade here.
Hate? People just wanted more answers after all that teasing, it's understandable.

EDIT: I forgot to say. The games' lead map designer let us in on a couple of secrets from the storyline on the official forums, if you guys are interested...

About the Sires in Gears of War 2:

The back story is that sires were imulsion miners... the first to be mutated by it. The gov't rounded them all up to study them and find out what was causing it, and perhaps find a cure. This occurred at the outpost that you guys visited in Gears 2.

And about Queen Myrrah:

She's a descendant of the scientists who first studied imulsion-infected miners at the outpost in G2.

Interesting.

Loam

WickedLaharl said:
This. I don't mind leaving things up to interpretation but to hint so heavily at the COG having some connection to the locust only to never have anyone mention anything of it ever again was incredibly disappointing. I like Gears, but the series to me seems like the LOST of video games. Between the map you find in Gears one, the entirety of the New Hope facility, the queens more human appearance, and several collectibles that talk about various shady government operations it really felt like Gears 3 was getting set up for this big reveal. Then when the time came the only thing you got was Marcus' father admitting that he knew the queen before E-day because they chatted it up on facebook once or twice.

Yeah, Dom. :'(

Goddamn, finally killed that queen. Took me long enough. Part of me actually felt a bit sad to see the Locust go out like that. :lol Glad to see Carmine made it, too. The Carmine family needed some good news. You know, if they were real and all that.

That wannabe-metal track during the credits was incredibad, though. Glad to finished it up with some honest Jablonsky goodness.

And yeah, some more backstory on the queen would've been nice. I was expecting a long-ass cutscene where Marcus and his Dad just sat down to talk and we'd learn everything we didn't know, but sadly that didn't happen.

Oh, and no after-credits cutscene? Too bad. :(

Murkas

Hammer24 said:
So, who did shed a tear for Dom?
*raises hand*

Not me, I thought he was so boring and him dying had no effect on me. Anthony and Ben though ;_;

Even when I thought Dizzy had died I was sad, glad he made it. Don't see how anyone cared for Dom, such a dull character.

Some questions still weren't answered, like how Myrrah came to be and why she is what she is.

The biggest what the fuck was when I first saw Bernie, after reading the first book I was expecting a female Tai, they got her look right but that voice, when I was playing the campaign and you hear her voice through the speakers I was like "that's not Bernie, sounds a lot like Sam"

Voice was horrible :(

And I would have loved to see a 3rd general/leader to join RAAM and Skorge. Shame they never included one.

jgminto

Yay at Carmine surviving. I feel it would have been overkill if they killed off another one. While I wasn't a huge fan of Dom I thought his scene was still really good, much better than the Maria scene. While I don't think the Lambent were handled that great storywise, they were a pleasure to fight in the campaign. And I don't think there were any bad unit like the Pure flood from Halo 3.

Finished it today, damn that was a long campaign.

Where could they possibly take series since the locust and lambent are gone?
I'm not keen on prequels cus I already know what happens in the end

Somepoint in Act 5 when you blow up the Maelstrom generator, then it clears outside and you get the "instant summer" Wow. Was great to see colour like that in a Gears game.

Top Bottom