• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 VidDoc 2 - Crescendo: The Making of Gears 3

-PXG-

All of this is WIP

agg_gears3threadbannermrok.jpg

gears_3_gaf_wipzqc2.png

I came up with this design a night or two ago:

agg_gears3_logo5pql.png

This is all I have done so far. Of course there will be more color, grunge, spray, splatter and dripping and weathered effects added as well.

Karram

Game looks great. But I still don't get why Epic talks too much about characters, universe and story when they are the weakest part of the game ?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
All of this is WIP

This is all I have done so far. Of course there will be more color, grunge, spray, splatter and dripping and weathered effects added as well.

Looks good man.

I may borrow that last design for some custom Astro tags.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Karram said:
Game looks great. But I still don't get why Epic talks too much about characters, universe and story when they are the weakest part of the game ?
Yes, exactly. Gears series always have these wonderful story and universe elaborations during its pre-release marketing blitz, like it is some integral and important part of the game, and that there are just oodles of details to love and enjoy. But when you play the actual gears games they have almost none of that within it.

Sure the level of detail presented in the art assets could have a fanatic lush over the potential history there but they never take advantage of any of the damn shit they come up with. It annoys the hell out of me.

Deus Ex is one damn game i am hoping lumps as much history and story shit that they are hinting at in pre-release into the actual retail release as possible.

The game looks really awesome in that vid.

-PXG- said:
The thread will be called:

Gears of War 3 [OT] - Brothers To The End
Damn, I had hoped for something along the lines of The Dude, the Bro and the Ugly. :(
(great job otherwise)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Looks amazing. Impressive, the jump in graphical fidelity from 2 to 3.

Really makes me yearn to see what next gen hardware will bring us, not only with new IP's, but seeing some of the great games of this gen, like Gears, Halo, Uncharted, Killzone, God of War, Resistance, Forza/GT, Call of Duty, BF4, etc. realized with an entirely new level of graphics and physics.

These games will look soo amazing.

Bit of a tangent there, but I always get excited for the future when I see what can already be done now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
BigTnaples said:
Looks amazing. Impressive, the jump in graphical fidelity from 2 to 3.

Really makes me yearn to see what next gen hardware will bring us, not only with new IP's, but seeing some of the great games of this gen, like Gears, Halo, Uncharted, Killzone, God of War, Resistance, Forza/GT, Call of Duty, BF4, etc. realized with an entirely new level of graphics and physics.

These games will look soo amazing.

Bit of a tangent there, but I always get excited for the future when I see what can already be done now.

Good to see you here Naples!

DarkChild

Banned
shinnn said:
wow. epic.

some screengrabs

img003raao.jpg

img016az7u.jpg

img002iz1l.jpg
Hmm...looking at those shots,even if they are screengrabs,you can notice some healthy amount of AA in those shots.Especially the one with Dom's face(notice aliasing is broken on his fingers) where AA looks pretty damn smooth.Its most likely FXAA since Epic implanted it in UE3 last month.That or MLAA which they have now too!Looks great non the less.

-PXG-

Screens don't do this game any justice. You have to see it in motion to truly appreciate how far UE3 has done.

-PXG-

Getting closer...I still have to make the letters more pronounced and easier to read. Perhaps mess around with the contrast, hue and luminosity of the characters too.

gears_3_septemberthreafunq.jpg

another version:

gears_3_septemberthreagje3.jpg

and a weathered version of my custom logo

agg_gears3_logo_grunge7uy9.png

Marco1

-PXG- said:
Screens don't do this game any justice. You have to see it in motion to truly appreciate how far UE3 has done.

I hope you're right. I am buying a xbox360 for gear3 and forza4.
I thought gears 2 looked great but I am really looking forward to the better colours.
Was there any screen tearing in the beta gameplay?

-PXG-

Marco1 said:
I hope you're right. I am buying a xbox360 for gear3 and forza4.
I thought gears 2 looked great but I am really looking forward to the better colours.
Was there any screen tearing in the beta gameplay?

I was sold after my first match with the beta. I had more fun in that than I ever did with Gears 2.

I won't go as far as to say that there isn't any tearing. It's probably there. It isn't noticeable though.

Karram said:

But but but.... nothing bespeaks badass quite like... UNRESOLVED DADDY ISSUES!

Dabanton

Karram said:

Huh?

The characters in Gears are great,very self aware, funny and engaging.

It's like an 80's action buddy movie.

The Stig

Slightly off topic but where else would I post this?

I work for IBM hardware support and received a call from a lady called Cary who works at Epic Games. One of their servers has some hardware problems.

It was awesome that I was talking to someone at their charlotte NC office. What wasn't awesome was the server they had. A shitty Lenovo S10 or D10. I support machines all the way up to full on bladedcenters and to find out that Epic Games uses shitty lenovos was a bit of a let down. lol

edit - i supposrt lenovos on the weekend because lenovo suck.

Jadedx

Banned
-PXG- said:
Getting closer...I still have to make the letters more pronounced and easier to read. Perhaps mess around with the contrast, hue and luminosity of the characters too.
I like the first one in this post the best out of all of them, the splash of emulsion with the transparent background is a nice touch.

Raxus

gears_3_septemberthreagje3.jpg

Just wanted to say I love this image. I think with some blood splatter on the logo you will be set.

Also, for Cole Train's description I hope you put "The train is at home on the rails baby, WOOOOOOOOO!" and only that.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
-PXG- said:
How about this?
The first one was better due to the darker background, maybe you could do it like that for this image. It's an amazing design, though.

I'm trying so hard to avoid watching these videos but damn, Epic have really outdone themselves with this game.

JambiBum

-PXG- said:
Thanks for posting. Gonna watch as much as I can right now.

God damn my hype is rising. At least we know what to expect. That beta was exquisite. The final product will be glorious.
You should watch the Cole Train thing first. It isn't nearly as long, and it isn't what you expect.

clav

Watched the OP video.

Probably won't be surprised if most if not all the main characters end up dead by the end.

KageMaru

Longest campaign they ever made? I find it hard to believe this will be longer than Unreal 1 =p

Looks awesome otherwise.

alphaNoid

Banned
-PXG- said:
How about this?

gears_3_septemberthrea2k9e.jpg
Bring the opacity of the yellow paint spatter down, and gradient it downwards. The background characters get lost in it, and they should be the focus, not the effect. The drop shadow on lettering is alright but perhaps try a white border or some sort to better pronounce the letters and then flatten the image to give it a more realistic look?

The new steel-like background is superb, leave it! Just minor touches from here on, its lookin' REAL good :)

-PXG-

I pre-ordered my Epic Edition today. I'm thinking about getting the Gears 3 360, but I doubt I will splurge that much.

2th

Banned
-PXG- said:
I pre-ordered my Epic Edition today. I'm thinking about getting the Gears 3 360, but I doubt I will splurge that much.

done both. also getting the vault by calibur 11.

oh and the image for OT looks great.

Top Bottom